Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I doubt it will be an out of state guy and all the DTs that we really want are out of state so it is probably Zion Williams as one of the guys. The other is probably Rogers although there are some good possibilities at corner and linebacker (guys like Brew, Pettijohn, Sanchez). Sanchez didn't official visit though did he?

Trestin Castro might make some sense. OOS guy but committed to USC.

Maybe they try to get one of the plan B's at WR back on campus that committed elsewhere? (Hines, McCutcheon, Johnson)

Land 4 out of the 5 top 150 guys we are in on along with a couple DBs and a slot receiver, then scout and scrap like hell for 3-4 DTs with high floors at the very least. That’s our remaining class in a nutshell. As long as at least one of those DTs has high potential we just need the other 2 or 3 guys to be junkyard dogs who will stick around and put in the work. Not ideal, but I refuse to believe it can’t be done.

• Hook 'Em 5

I tend to agree with the take of there being a slew of unrealistic offers in play. NIL things that aren't going to be getting funded over the fall. Between that and various under-performances, there will be flips a-plenty.

Of course, there is also the expectation of high performance by the Horns.

Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I tend to agree with the take of there being a slew of unrealistic offers in play. NIL things that aren't going to be getting funded over the fall. Between that and various under-performances, there will be flips a-plenty.

Hook'em

I wonder if that's where Sark's confidence and coming from.

1 minute ago, destroya said:

I wonder if that's where Sark's confidence and coming from.

Seems like we've had late flips our way so far, so yeah.

Also, he may have learned a thing or two from the GOAT... I'm still kinda thinking Banma's first call, when Nick told them he was done, was to Sark. 

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Hook'em

I also wonder if Texas will come in towards the end with their final offer rather than doing it now and allowing the agents/players to shop themselves and have months to find better offers to drive the price up...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t mean this to be a smart ass, but who has he developed? I honestly do not know. I see this being mentioned but who are the players he has developed? 

Maybe DeAngelo Malone?  He was an Edge at Western Kentucky who was drafted by Atlanta in the 3rd Round in 2022.

Or Brodric Martin?  He was a DT selected in the 3rd round by Detroit in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I also wonder if Texas will come in towards the end with their final offer rather than doing it now and allowing the agents/players to shop themselves and have months to find better offers to drive the price up...

probably

Posted (edited)

So 15 current commits. Terry, Lockett, Brooks and Ffrench seem to be the guys we are trending the best with right now. That would put us at 19 commits headed into the season/September. Faraimo, Sanders and Fasusi I guess you could say we are in the fight but doesn't feel like those are trending Texas right now. Same with Tilmon based on what Gerry said today (appears to be Utah). Aidan Anding feels like a complete wildcard depending on how his LSU visit goes.

I'm going to assume the class number will be 23-25? That leaves room for 3 DTs (senior evals or flips; I wouldn't think they would fill up on bread with a 4th unless the flips become out of control, just use that spot in the portal), 1 more LB and potentially 1 more DB or maybe an OT they couldn't turn down? QB, RB, TE, OL and Edge feel like they are or will be done by the time the ball kicks off against Colorado State.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So 15 current commits. Terry, Lockett, Brooks and Ffrench seem to be the guys we are trending the best with right now. That would put us at 19 commits headed into the season/September. Faraimo, Sanders and Fasusi I guess you could say we are in the fight but doesn't feel like those are trending Texas right now. Same with Tilmon based on what Gerry said today (appears to be Utah). Aidan Anding feels like a complete wildcard depending on how his LSU visit goes.

I'm going to assume the class number will be 23-25? That leaves room for 3 DTs (senior evals or flips; I wouldn't think they would fill up on bread with a 4th unless the flips become out of control, just use that spot in the portal), 1 more LB and potentially 1 more DB or maybe an OT they couldn't turn down? QB, RB, TE, OL and Edge feel like they are or will be done by the time the ball kicks off against Colorado State.

That all sounds about right.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not saying this won’t happen in some instances but that’s not the way it’s mostly been working. 

Take Collin Simmons for instance, or Derek Williams the year before. There were amounts agreed to and that is what both sides stayed with to the end. 

The Wingo’s tried to renegotiate, with Missouri gladly trying to fuck things up, and Texas held firm. The dad wanted their word to mean something in the end, and it was never fully believed that Missouri was ultimately going to be able to come up with the money. 

There is plenty of skepticism around several NIL allotments right now - LSU and USC being the usual idiots potentially just faking it until they make it. We’ll see. No one should have any doubt about Oregon, Ohio State, FSU, Miami, Georgia - those schools have the money to back up their offers, even if each school is working with varying pooled amounts for each cycle. 

LSU is will lose a few to NIL promises. I heard an active high ranking TXHS football coach mention that. 

Edited by Blackcat00

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not saying this won’t happen in some instances but that’s not the way it’s mostly been working. 

Take Collin Simmons for instance, or Derek Williams the year before. There were amounts agreed to and that is what both sides stayed with to the end. 

The Wingo’s tried to renegotiate, with Missouri gladly trying to fuck things up, and Texas held firm. The dad wanted their word to mean something in the end, and it was never fully believed that Missouri was ultimately going to be able to come up with the money. 

There is plenty of skepticism around several NIL allotments right now - LSU and USC being the usual idiots potentially just faking it until they make it. We’ll see. No one should have any doubt about Oregon, Ohio State, FSU, Miami, Georgia - those schools have the money to back up their offers, even if each school is working with varying pooled amounts for each cycle. 

I don't remember seeing FSU mentioned in this context before.  What are the big sources of NIL for them?  Tallahassee doesn't seem like a corporate haven.  Do they have a bunch rich alumni that aren't familiar?

6 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I don't remember seeing FSU mentioned in this context before.  What are the big sources of NIL for them?  Tallahassee doesn't seem like a corporate haven.  Do they have a bunch rich alumni that aren't familiar?

You better believe it. Burt Reynolds, Leonard Skinner and of course Mack Brown.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

You better believe it. Burt Reynolds, Leonard Skinner and of course Mack Brown.

college gameday sport GIF

I think you forgot someone.

I also think Richard Simmons and the woman who created Spanx went there, but not 100% sure.

Edited by DixonHur

So, this *COULD* be interesting.

1) First, here's what Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) said in his article on the visitors for the pool party.

image.thumb.png.b33211315ba1f668004056bd50180272.png

2) Here's what how he responded to a question in a Q&A. ("will not be answering questions on it ...  😂  😂.")

image.thumb.png.6a9be7becc586b56496ea5664ebf280e.png

That actually narrows it down quite a bit.  The implication is that at least one of the two fits these criteria:

- large human

- on defense

- has taken OV to Texas

- is committed to another school

The recruits who fit those criteria are:

- Josiah Sharma

- Myron Charles

- Javion Hilson

- Brandon Brown

- Kevin Wynn

- Marco Jones (Edge, A&M)

- Riley Pettijohn (not a particularly large human, but someone will ask)

That's it.  

So yeah, if he answered those questions accurately and the visit(s) materialized, that would be interesting.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We aren't losing out on all ot our prospects. Oregon only has so many spots. They aren't getting Ffrench or Lockett, so we're good there. I'm not worried about Fasusi since we'll end up with a better LT in Turntine, and that gives Goosby and Turntine enough space to where he can learn. 

I don't know shit from fuck regarding Terry, but I'd bet he ends up in our class. Pretty bummed about Pettijohn, but we can hope for a late flip like we always get in one way or another with players. I don't care about Moore anymore, he can rot in Eugene for all I care. WR is a dime a dozen, regardless of how talented so and so prospect is. We're stacked with talent there, anyway. 

All I really care about at this point is getting some DT's worth a shit. Maybe a guy like January who was ranked criminally low but will dominate. There's too many out there to not find a few gems. 

Edit: I don't believe Myron Charles' recruitment is over. Dude can come in and get playing time. Hilson is another I think isn't over. Plenty of time for this staff to do their thing this season and show out to these recruits. I'm optimistic as of today, but that's probably the xanax talking. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Saudi State University 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We aren't losing out on all ot our prospects. Oregon only has so many spots. They aren't getting Ffrench or Lockett, so we're good there. I'm not worried about Fasusi since we'll end up with a better LT in Turntine, and that gives Goosby and Turntine enough space to where he can learn. 

I don't know shit from fuck regarding Terry, but I'd bet he ends up in our class. Pretty bummed about Pettijohn, but we can hope for a late flip like we always get in one way or another with players. I don't care about Moore anymore, he can rot in Eugene for all I care. WR is a dime a dozen, regardless of how talented so and so prospect is. We're stacked with talent there, anyway. 

All I really care about at this point is getting some DT's worth a shit. Maybe a guy like January who was ranked criminally low but will dominate. There's too many out there to not find a few gems. 

Edit: I don't believe Myron Charles' recruitment is over. Dude can come in and get playing time. Hilson is another I think isn't over. Plenty of time for this staff to do their thing this season and show out to these recruits. I'm optimistic as of today, but that's probably the xanax talking. 

I wouldn't be so sure of getting any high profile recruits in the next class moving forward.  If Oregon wants Turntine, he's gone.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We aren't losing out on all ot our prospects. Oregon only has so many spots.

Damn that's fucking bleak that our hope is that we can land Oregon's scraps.

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

I wouldn't be so sure of getting any high profile recruits in the next class moving forward.  If Oregon wants Turntine, he's gone.

That kid absolutely loves Texas. No way he's leaving the state, even if Oregon pushes all their chips in. He's one that we will land. 

*I reserve the right to be wrong 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Dislike is not phobia. You a sip or some such?

"Turophobia"; Greek "turi" - "cheese" and "phobia" "- consists of the words" phobia. "People suffering from this phobia exhibit symptoms of disgust, disgust, and inability to touch the cheese. They have difficulty approaching the cheese and exhibit extreme discomfort upon seeing the cheese.

I didn't know what turophobia meant so I googled it. Dislike is apparently a phobia. 

58 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I didn't know what turophobia meant so I googled it. Dislike is apparently a phobia. 

Phobia is specifically fear. Fearing cheese is certainly a reason to dislike it. The point remains. Dislike is not phobia. You a sip or some such?

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

How does it generally play out when schools cannot come up with the money?  I imagine contracts get presented before they sign?  Is this where the players find out they aren't getting what was promised?  Or is it when it comes time to fund the money?

Can one of the other recruiting junkies remind me why Kris Ross left the program? Did he just not develop after the injury? I saw he transferred to play for Choate at Nevada. Sorry I know it's the wrong thread but it kind of ties into our DT woes.

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Can one of the other recruiting junkies remind me why Kris Ross left the program? Did he just not develop after the injury? I saw he transferred to play for Choate at Nevada. Sorry I know it's the wrong thread but it kind of ties into our DT woes.

Had a huge blow up at Sark in front of the team. Team didn’t want him back after that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

How does it generally play out when schools cannot come up with the money?  I imagine contracts get presented before they sign?  Is this where the players find out they aren't getting what was promised?  Or is it when it comes time to fund the money?

Dunno how every school handles it, but you aren't supposed to be paying players until they're enrolled. If they're following the rules, then the kids are kinda stuck for at least a semester. Otherwise, they would have to try to get out of their enrollment which would mean they likely have to admit their own violations which could potentially hurt them as much or more than the school. If they aren't following the rules, and promising the kids X amount of money on a certain date (prior to enrollment), then that could provide an opportunity for the player to flip. But I would imagine even if such promises are in place, they'd be smart enough to make those first payments even if they lacked the funds to make all future payments.