Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Posted (edited)

Hope to god that's not true.  Talk about really fucking up CFB, and all other affected sports.  Scholarship limits should be going down to make things more even among all schools, not up so that it only benefits the big boys.

Edited by Mittens

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

Hope to god that's not true.  Talk about really fucking up FCB.  Scholarship limits should be going down to make things more even among all schools, not up so that it only benefits the big boys.

Yep. Smaller schools are fucked.

22 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Hope to god that's not true.  Talk about really fucking up CFB, and all other affected sports.  Scholarship limits should be going down to make things more even among all schools, not up so that it only benefits the big boys.

Obviously this will lead to larger schools having 20 more scholarship players, but it sounds like they will not be allowed to have walk-ons anymore, so they're just replacing however many walk-ons they used to have with 20 scholarship players.  Either way, the 105th player on the roster probably knows he is unlikely to play a lot, and will still be deciding whether to play at a smaller school with more likely playing time.

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Football scholarships increasing by 20. Dang.

Had a nephew who played big D1 baseball. That is huge for those families. That will keep more players from going straight to the minors instead of college.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Are you confused about where Texas will benefit in all of this? 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Damn LSU and Oregon are kicking ass 

Considering we didn’t even think we were in it for Williams until 48 hours ago I’m not sure that one can be grouped in with the others.

And odds are he will never play college football.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Considering we didn’t even think we were in it for Williams until 48 hours ago I’m not sure that one can be grouped in with the others.

And odds are he will never play college football.

It wasn’t a comment about Texas, just in general both schools are recruiting very well this year. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

It wasn’t a comment about Texas, just in general both schools are recruiting very well this year. 

Got it. I’ll be interested to see what LSU’s class looks like at the end of the cycle. They certainly seem to be talking a big game right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Got it. I’ll be interested to see what LSU’s class looks like at the end of the cycle. They certainly seem to be talking a big game right now.

Something tells me the Highway fund and children’s hospitals are gonna be a little light this year.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Not in the slightest.  I know this will come as a complete surprise to many of you, but some of us would like the entire sport to succeed, not just a couple of teams.

That’s weird, I only want Texas to succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Texas is doing just fine w/ their 85 ships, and would still be in the same position with 70. 

A roster of only 70 players seems pretty tough if you want to have any players straight out of high school that are not ready to play yet. 

7 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Are you confused about where Texas will benefit in all of this? 

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

Not in the slightest.  I know this will come as a complete surprise to many of you, but some of us would like the entire sport to succeed, not just a couple of teams.

What @Mittens said, in a few years we will see the same 8 or so schools if that being able to actually compete. Sure, great for us but the bit of parity that existed before is totally going to be gone.  You can say it’s been like that for a while but we weren't included in that until last year.  Random teams outside the top 8 of the haves will seldom be in the final four of the playoffs if ever. 

59 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

What @Mittens said, in a few years we will see the same 8 or so schools if that being able to actually compete. Sure, great for us but the bit of parity that existed before is totally going to be gone.  You can say it’s been like that for a while but we weren't included in that until last year.  Random teams outside the top 8 of the haves will seldom be in the final four of the playoffs if ever. 

Parity has never existed in cfb. Thats always been the biggest myth of cfb

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Parity has never existed in cfb. Thats always been the biggest myth of cfb

I disagree. Snyder almost backdoor’d into multiple national titles at K State. TCU played for a national title. Art Briles turned Baylor into a national brand and they probably had the best team in the country in 2015. Gundy always put together a contender squad every few years or so. If Johnny wasn’t such a crash out lunatic, A&Ms 2012 team was loaded, they could have played for a title. Lots of instances of parity throughout the years. 

• Hook 'Em 8

43 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I disagree. Snyder almost backdoor’d into multiple national titles at K State. TCU played for a national title. Art Briles turned Baylor into a national brand and they probably had the best team in the country in 2015. Gundy always put together a contender squad every few years or so. If Johnny wasn’t such a crash out lunatic, A&Ms 2012 team was loaded, they could have played for a title. Lots of instances of parity throughout the years. 

Non of the teams you mentioned won championships. Throughout history of cfb you can go decade by decade and see just a handful of teams win each decade if that. Random good seasons by teams isn’t parity

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Good seasons from teams with less talent and good coaching that didn’t result in championships. Good coaches with less talent will still be out there. It will be the same as it has been for the past 2-3 decades.

9 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

A roster of only 70 players seems pretty tough if you want to have any players straight out of high school that are not ready to play yet. 

How on earth do FCS teams do it?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Football scholarships increasing by 20. Dang.

Its like going back in time, when football has essentially unlimited rosters. I just dont get Baseball, Softball, and Volleyball. These are sports that lose money on the whole. No need to increase the expenses there. Title IX is going to become a bigger deal for schools (just added 44.3 men's scholarships and 19 girls).  This will have a negative effect on men's sports (could see schools dropping men's sports) and probably adding women's sports. 

Edited by Codaxx