Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Posted (edited)

Ethics tangent incoming

The merging of scholarship and roster limits are another change that, imo, disrupts the system that many know and love, but really just makes CFB more normal and less exploitative. 

Putting aside talk on how this impacts Texas and CFB as a whole, it's kind of crazy that teams have been able to have students do all the work of being on the team without any kind of financial support. How much time do walk-ons spend on football every week? 20 hours? 40 hours? And they're expected to do it largely for intrinsic rewards while being completely dismissed as second-class players by the public (not this site). That's not to mention the equity discussion around requiring a student to pay ~20k/year to be on the team.

Walk-ons are just a weird dynamic that shouldn't exist in modern CFB.  

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ethics tangent incoming

The merging of scholarship and roster limits are another change that, imo, disrupts the system that many know and love, but really just makes CFB more normal and less exploitative. 

Putting aside talk on how this impacts Texas and CFB as a whole, it's kind of crazy that teams have been able to have students do all the work of being on the team without any kind of financial support. How much time do walk-ons spend on football? 20 hours? 40 hours? And they're expected to do it largely for intrinsic rewards while being completely dismissed as second-class teammates by the public (not this site). That's not to mention the equity discussion around requiring a student to pay ~20k/year to be on the team.

Yea, fuck people for working hard and chasing their dreams. Fuck those opportunities. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Myron Charles was scheduled to come in today per OTF but had to reschedule 

That reeks of bullshit. He doesn’t live in Dallas or Houston. He would have to drive to Sarasota, get on flight and then get to campus. Not exactly a trip that I feel would be rescheduled last minute.

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

image.thumb.png.d63bcd03517bbb96c381324b00fe1328.png

On the two prospects committed elsewhere, who were considering visits to Texas

image.thumb.png.8f38f3f88584ee1d5865f9085c58c669.png

From the Gerry note, sounds like one of those was Charles ... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ethics tangent incoming

Putting aside talk on how this impacts Texas and CFB as a whole, it's kind of crazy that teams have been able to have students do all the work of being on the team without any kind of financial support. How much time do walk-ons spend on football every week? 20 hours? 40 hours? And they're expected to do it largely for intrinsic rewards while being completely dismissed as second-class players by the public (not this site). That's not to mention the equity discussion around requiring a student to pay ~20k/year to be on the team.

south-park-cartman.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

image.thumb.png.d63bcd03517bbb96c381324b00fe1328.png

On the two prospects committed elsewhere, who were considering visits to Texas

image.thumb.png.8f38f3f88584ee1d5865f9085c58c669.png

From the Gerry note, sounds like one of those was Charles ... 

What time does the crew from Perfect 10 show up to the pool party???

Posted (edited)

I think many of the preferred walk ons will be scholarship players elsewhere in the near future. Good for them. 

If I understand Title IV correctly, 20 additional football scholarships would create 20 additional women’s sports scholarships. Again good for them. That said only the Big Ten + SEC + SMU will be able to afford 40 additional full athletic scholarships. I think many Big 12, ACC, and P5 schools will stick at 85. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

The visit needed to be kept secret an hour ago and now it's posted publicly. Wonder what changed. 

Seems like both of them bailed so it doesn’t really matter if it’s public info. 

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think many of the preferred walk ons will be scholarship players elsewhere in the near future. Good for them. 

If I understand Title IV correctly, 20 additional football scholarships would create 20 additional women’s sports scholarships. Again good for them. That said only the Big Ten + SEC + SMU will be able to afford 40 additional full athletic scholarships. I think many Big 12, ACC, and P5 schools will stick at 85. 

Nothing in the entire history of college football says that teams will be like nah I’ll just stick to 85 over stockpiling 20 extra scholarship players aka collecting talent

Posted (edited)

Texas will probably need to add two if not three women's sports to satisfy Title IX requirements. Water polo and gymnastics, maybe equestrian, are the most likely. Field hockey and Lacrosse are also possibilities but where would they play?

Edited by Speedway

Posted (edited)

Women's gymnastics and equestrian are current competitive sports in the SEC. I don't think water polo, field hockey, or lacrosse are currently played in the SEC.

Edited by Speedway
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Women's gymnastics and equestrian are current competitive sports in the SEC. I don't think water polo, field hockey, or lacrosse are currently played in the SEC.

Rifle team will be one I bet.

TCU just won the national championship and there's a relationship with Del Conte. Seems like a coach we could steal. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ethics tangent incoming

Says the guy whos never played a minute of an organized sport after junior high/middle school. 

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Sigh. Scholarships. smh 

I think part of the settlement is going to be the lack of walk-ons.  If they play football for a major school, they are going to have to be on scholarship.  Obviously Texas and other schools can operate with 85 (or even 70) scholarship players if they are allowed to have a ton of non-scholarship walk-ons, but that is not going to be allowed.  

2 hours ago, Speedway said:

Texas will probably need to add two if not three women's sports to satisfy Title IX requirements. Water polo and gymnastics, maybe equestrian, are the most likely. Field hockey and Lacrosse are also possibilities but where would they play?

Lacrosse should be a priority imo. They can play on the soccer field until Angela wins a title since it seems her recruiting is just too good to part ways with at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

Glad sharma is back, but if oregon dropped life changing money on him, I don't really expect anything to come of it. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep showing that we want him though. Maybe phil knight will croak and checks will start bouncing.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Lacrosse should be a priority imo. They can play on the soccer field until Angela wins a title since it seems her recruiting is just too good to part ways with at the moment.

NCAA field hockey field is 100 yards by 60 yards.

NCAA lacrosse field is 110 yards by 60 yards.

Seems like both can be played at the soccer stadium (Myers Stadium). Done deal.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Glad sharma is back, but if oregon dropped life changing money on him, I don't really expect anything to come of it. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep showing that we want him though. Maybe phil knight will croak and checks will start bouncing.

Their stock tanking hurt him plenty…not enough to impact nil but he can’t be happy this week 

46 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not everyone loves Eugene.  I mean I do, but if it were up to me I'd institute a purge up there in Oregon to fix that state.  California can kick rocks, but I'm down to save Oregon.  It is truly a beautiful state that I love very much.

• Hook 'Em 5

53 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Gerry made a comment on OTF that made it seem like his mom may not have been completely on board with the Oregon decision.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Not everyone loves Eugene.  I mean I do, but if it were up to me I'd institute a purge up there in Oregon to fix that state.  California can kick rocks, but I'm down to save Oregon.  It is truly a beautiful state that I love very much.

Oregon sucks... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry made a comment on OTF that made it seem like his mom may not have been completely on board with the Oregon decision.

Ketch is parroting the same shit on twitter. Basically saying Texas was and is still confident, and they feel like his decision isn't final and will be made final later. We will see I guess.