Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Get a fucking grip. I know you pride yourself on having attended 5-6 schools and being a fanboi of at least 10 more, but Georgia and Texas are not generally viewed on the same level, and fucking US News & World Report isn't going to change that. Georgia's viewed a good school for a football school in the South. Texas is an internationally recognized research institution and generally held in that regard. Many of us have worked with folks all over the western world in various industries, and I challenge anyone else besides texifornia to come forth and argue also that folks have the same perception of institutions between Texas and Georgia. That is the first time I have ever heard that shit.

Fucking A This.  Our alma mater is recognized worldwide as an elite institution of higher learning, and an important player in progress and enlightenment past, present and future.  And in numerous - and I emphasize numerous - fields.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Did we ever come to a consensus on what makes up the greater Houston area?  

I really don't feel comfortable moving on to other topics until that's buttoned up.

Nothing makes up the greater Houston area.  There is no overlap between Houston and great.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I will say the academic talk feels much more at home for me. Harkens back to the days when Stanford was eating our lunch for OL

You missed the great debate of weather in the Pacific Northwest or the recruiting hotbed of Charleston SC

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Anyways, I have a friend that is a bit of Georgia honk with friends on that staff. I was surprised to hear him tell me recently that Smart is in Urban Meyer at UF territory with that team if he's not super careful quickly here. They're bringing in guys that are harder to focus and control on critical developments at hand. Hope that's true.

Smart was winning an auction format with very few participants and he had the biggest bank account. It's not at all a surprise to me to see them get taken down a peg or two in an above board auction situation. I fully expect we eclipse them as a program very soon (maybe this year) in the SEC, the same way I've been predicting the demise of Alabraska for 2 or 3 years. But, if they could just turn into a smoking crater while being scorned and ridiculed by the college football world that would be absolutely fantastic. 
I'm ready for a world where the powers are Texas, Michigan, Domers, with a little Miami and Oregon mixed in. Basically other than Oregon you have crazy ass Miami which is always sort of fun and the only 3 blue bloods that refused to cheat rampantly when basically college football recruiting became overrun with the bag game and you saw programs cut corners and be handsomely rewarded for it. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Smart was winning an auction format with very few participants and he had the biggest bank account. It's not at all a surprise to me to see them get taken down a peg or two in an above board auction situation. I fully expect we eclipse them as a program very soon (maybe this year) in the SEC, the same way I've been predicting the demise of Alabraska for 2 or 3 years. But, if they could just turn into a smoking crater while being scorned and ridiculed by the college football world that would be absolutely fantastic. 
I'm ready for a world where the powers are Texas, Michigan, Domers, with a little Miami and Oregon mixed in. Basically other than Oregon you have crazy ass Miami which is always sort of fun and the only 3 blue bloods that refused to cheat rampantly when basically college football recruiting became overrun with the bag game and you saw programs cut corners and be handsomely rewarded for it. 

Slightly counter view- the state of Georgia has seen the number of NFL players originating there double over the past 30 years. Population growth? HS program improvement? Other stuff? Point is- that state is producing a lot of talent, less than Texas and Florida, but more than most southern states. In state, the only other P4 program is GT. 
Georgia was underperforming for a long time. They may regress to a mean, but that mean will be higher than it used to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells prediction  for Michael Terry to Texas, confidence level 60%

apparently a neighbor of Terry on youtube was saying that Nebraska/oregon were his top two schools and now they are seeing who offers the most NIL incentives fwiw

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

lol ga tech 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ga Tech finished 34th in recruiting ranking for 2024 after finishing in the 60s the year prior. 

They're cooking down there with something for 2025.

image.thumb.png.f7095ddc8b8884335f98112705037025.png

Georgia Tech is more than capable of being a top program but they have to make the investment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, statsman said:

Slightly counter view- the state of Georgia has seen the number of NFL players originating there double over the past 30 years. Population growth? HS program improvement? Other stuff? Point is- that state is producing a lot of talent, less than Texas and Florida, but more than most southern states. In state, the only other P4 program is GT. 
Georgia was underperforming for a long time. They may regress to a mean, but that mean will be higher than it used to be. 

I agree with you. I think their mean in an honest and open environment is less than Texas. We will see. The next 10 years going to be fascinating.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

the same way I've been predicting the demise of Alabraska for 2 or 3 years. But, if they could just turn into a smoking crater while being scorned and ridiculed by the college football world that would be absolutely fantastic. 

So, about that... Their roster is still pretty loaded, they're preseason #5 with one of the best coaches in the entire country, and they currently have the #2 overall recruiting class, which includes 4 5-stars and 12 guys in the top 150 nationally. But I guess if you keep predicting it every year eventually you'll be right. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So, about that... Their roster is still pretty loaded, they're preseason #5 with one of the best coaches in the entire country, and they currently have the #2 overall recruiting class, which includes 4 5-stars and 12 guys in the top 150 nationally. But I guess if you keep predicting it every year eventually you'll be right. 

I said Texas would surpass them as a program (check) and eventually all that other stuff would wear them down and they wouldn't be Alabama anymore.  It took Texas 10 years or so to ruin Nebraska.  I expect the time line will be similar for Bama.   I'd be happy to make a bet with you that over the next decade Bama will be barely a top 10 program or maybe even lower if looked at from 2023-2033). 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

On 8/10/2024 at 12:20 AM, Napoleon said:

WARNING:

This was in a small town in Missouri just last month.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e66c6706179d091c92e2791d86c2422.jpeg

This is what was under the caramel colored gravy.

image.thumb.jpeg.63c7781e37f6168af9e8290da3a0f2f1.jpeg

1 slice of gummy white bread

1 cutlet

1 slice of white bread

[slice bread from corner to corner like a sandwich]

1 ice cream scoop of 20% butter mashed potatoes 

1 several ladles of brown gravy

…in fairness, it was named “HOT TENDERLOIN” on the menu, so I had no idea what I was actually getting.

I thought that it was some kind of roasted meat and that the “brown gravy” was going to be an “au jus”…

It wasn’t.

”Hot Tenderloin” = “Wiener Schnitzel”

It was pork, and nicely done. I ordered it again a few days later and got it the way it would be ordered in Argentina (and probably Austria/Bavaria)…

image.thumb.jpeg.0598940842af4bc04ddc74896c121aaa.jpeg
- Lemon 🍋 wedges on the side. -

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I said Texas would surpass them as a program (check) and eventually all that other stuff would wear them down and they wouldn't be Alabama anymore.  It took Texas 10 years or so to ruin Nebraska.  I expect the time line will be similar for Bama.   I'd be happy to make a bet with you that over the next decade Bama will be barely a top 10 program or maybe even lower if looked at from 2023-2033). 

Homer-ism aside, I don't think this has officially happened yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Michigan as a power makes it that much more difficult for Texas to eclipse them as the all-time college football wins leader. Ditto Notre Dame. The last decade plus really, really fucked us, and now we're only 4 games ahead of OU. So those two fucking schools can fuck fight off a fucking cliff as far as I'm concerned. I just need them to keep beating Ohio State every fucking year, becuase fuck those pieces of shit. 

Justin Wells doesn't know fucking shit, ever. Just leave it at that. 

I mean- yeah I guess. I don't really care all that much about the total overall program wins (you are right- the last decade has been brutal) I just want to move the needle on total championships and add 3 Heisman trophy's along the way or something like that.  Lets start with 1 of each this year and move that needle. 

27 minutes ago, Scholz said:

LilTE

Yeah, from his Hudl he seems like an athletic freak, but size wise, he seems like a tweener, but I'm not pretending to be an expert (today)... just wondering what the folks who follow this more closely are hearing/thinking.

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, from his Hudl he seems like an athletic freak, but size wise, he seems like a tweener, but I'm not pretending to be an expert (today)... just wondering what the folks who follow this more closely are hearing/thinking.

He ran a 10.8 as a sophomore - I don't know if has grown/gained weight since then so he may be faster or slower than that now. He is a pretty good high jumper too. So, to me he looks like an athletic outlier: There are very few 6'3" 215lb guys who have those track numbers, especially at about 15 years old.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Georgia Tech is more than capable of being a top program but they have to make the investment. 

Was about to say the same. Great campus, strong alumni base, great academics. Same proposition for Vandy but GA Tech has the better path for relevancy.

11 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Was about to say the same. Great campus, strong alumni base, great academics. Same proposition for Vandy but GA Tech has the better path for relevancy.

Yeah, GA Tech has a lot going for it for it to be athletically irrelevant these days. And they have more MNCs than A&M.

4 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Still too few female students.. That's been a huge knock on that school.. I get it being in Atlanta but not much women around campus