Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

3 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m late to the party but I couldn’t let this one pass. I’ve beat all the TMNT games, and Leo and Donatello should be the only two options! Mikey is the favorite from the cartoon and movies. 

I know that it’s late, but I couldn’t let this one pass.

USE THE FUCKING PAST PARTICIPLE!

”I have beaten all [of] the TMNT games.”

Present Perfect calls for “to have” to be conjugated and then followed by the past participle of the verb of choice.

I HAVE BEATEN!

image.gif.07f6f35a653d108fa5693b78089cf8a1.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks for the update. The only reason I go to The Get Down these days is for funerals. It might as well be states away. I imagine that Hooters is filled with a lot of crazy Mexican and Puerto Rican ladies. Those were some good times back in the day. 

I didn’t realize, but should have known, that this board has some serious breastaurant knowledge. I haven’t been in one of those places in almost two decades. 

they closed the one in Galveston Island and the they should close the one in League City off the freeway..  It's really bad.. from service to food to the ladies in general.  Twin Peaks across the freeway is still solid.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I know that it’s late, but I couldn’t let this one pass.

USE THE FUCKING PAST PARTICIPLE!

”I have beaten all [of] the TMNT games.”

Present Perfect calls for “to have” to be conjugated and then followed by the past participle of the verb of choice.

I HAVE BEATEN!

image.gif.07f6f35a653d108fa5693b78089cf8a1.gif

nerd rage GIF

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, cafe society said:

From 247:  
Powerlifter who's also competed in track and field (shot put, discus).
Texas powerlifting state qualifier as a junior with individual lift records of 490 bench, 605 deadlift, and 700 squat.
Texas 3A regional qualifier in the discus as a junior with a Spring 2024 season-best throw of 140-10.
As a freshman, posted season-best throws of 43-5 in the shot put and 147-4 in the discus in Spring 2022.

Lets make sure to get the Gold Medalist Horn Crouser in the building for his recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 2

Streets, on Jonah Williams

"If asked today, I'd lean slightly to the Longhorns, but with 72 hours to go, there's a lot that can change."

Edit - just saw 2147's note ... 

But the real jaw dropper ... lulz.

" ... safeties coach Blake Gideon worked the phones during July while everyone else in the football world went on vacation."

The recruitment race for Jonah Williams: Inside the final days before 2025's best available recruit commits
Get the inside scoop on Jonah Williams' highly-anticipated college commitment, which goes down Friday. Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon and USC are the finalists for Williams.
Mike Roach (247 Sports)

Spoiler

The recruitment race for Jonah Williams: Inside the final days before 2025's best available recruit commits
Get the inside scoop on Jonah Williams' highly-anticipated college commitment, which goes down Friday. Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon and USC are the finalists for Williams.
Mike Roach (247 Sports)

The big week is here for five-star safety/linebacker Jonah Williams. The Galveston (Texas) Ball standout will make his commitment Saturday, Aug. 24, bringing a conclusion to one of the more fascinating recruitments of the 2025 cycle. Williams ranked No. 1 on 247Sports director of scouting Andrew Ivins' Freaks List released earlier Wednesday, and it's easy to see why.

A dynamic defender with size and elite testing metrics combined with legitimate skills in football, baseball, basketball, track and field, Williams is one of the more unique prospects from the last several cycles. The 6-foot-3, 203-pound prospect is 247Sports' No. 7 overall prospect, No. 1 linebacker and No. 3 player in Texas.

Williams' decision to commit is huge as he's currently the highest-rated uncommitted prospect in the country. He's played the recruitment extremely tight throughout the past two years, to the point that several people close to him are still in the dark on what will be the eventual decision.

In this age of college football recruiting, it's rare to find races with this much intrigue.

With that in mind, here's where things stand nearly 72 hours out from the decision.

WHO ARE THE TOP SCHOOLS FOR JONAH WILLIAMS?

Let's start with the finalists in the recruitment. Williams named LSU, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC as the schools that he would choose from. This recruitment has been back and forth since the beginning, with several different favorites emerging throughout the timeline.

Texas A&M seemed to be the early favorite in the spring before giving way to Oregon buzz in the summer. LSU had its time in the sun in late July, but Texas is the team with the hottest momentum as of late.

Though the Longhorns didn't host Williams for an official visit, they were able to get him back to Austin during the July visit window and made an impression that changed the tone of the entire recruitment.

After months of having Texas on the back burner, the Longhorns vaulted into the middle of the recruitment. As of the past two weeks, the intel we've gathered points to Williams staying close to home. That would narrow the focus to LSU, Texas and Texas A&M.

After speaking with sources around the college football world and several in Galveston County, there have been some voices indicating the Aggies could be fading. Separate sources told 247Sports that the dialogue remains open between the Aggies and Williams' family, with Texas A&M head coach Mike Elko heavily involved. At this point, we aren't ready to write the Aggies out of the race and see them as a bit of a wild card.

LSU seemed to be the hot pick in July as the Tigers were coming on, thanks to the work of the LSU defensive staff and the allure of playing for the Tigers' baseball program. As of this week, we've been told by multiple sources that LSU is still firmly in the mix and in one of the lead positions to land Williams. In fact, a source in Baton Rouge is as bullish on their chances of landing him as anyone else we've spoken with.

Texas is surging at the right time in this recruitment. The Longhorns went all in to get back involved, and a source familiar with the recruitment told 247Sports that safeties coach Blake Gideon worked the phones during July while everyone else in the football world went on vacation. The Longhorns have a need at safety, which is where they are recruiting Williams.

If he commits to Texas, he'd be the only safety in the class and the highest-ranked player to pledge to the Longhorns in the 2025 cycle. Sources near Williams indicate that being the focal point is appealing to him.

HOW BIG OF A ROLE DOES BASEBALL PLAY?

If you've followed this recruitment at all, you've heard about Williams' prowess on the diamond. Viewed as a legitimate MLB talent, it's probable that Williams will play both sports at the next level.

From what we've been told, his opportunity to play baseball isn't as big of a focal point for Williams as it is for others near him. While he certainly enjoys the sport and excels at it, his heart is with football.

Add in the fact that LSU, Texas and Texas A&M are all in strong positions when it comes to baseball, and there doesn't seem to be an incorrect choice on that front.

Texas A&M is coming off an appearance in the College World Series finals, and LSU is a perennial contender. Texas has a historically dominant baseball program and bolstered its rebuilding effort with the addition of former Texas A&M manager Jim Schlossnagle during the offseason.

From what we're told, baseball won't be the deciding factor.

HOW DOES NIL FACTOR IN?
High-profile recruitments can't be talked about without the presence of NIL anymore. In asking around about Williams, we've been unable to decipher how big of a role it plays, but it's certainly a data point he's considering.

From what we've been able to gather, Texas and LSU are the schools setting the pace on the NIL front, and it's conceivable that any package Williams gets will be combined baseball and football. Texas has been one of the top NIL programs over the last three years in football, while no school outpaces LSU baseball on that front.

READING THE TEA LEAVES
My 247Sports Crystal Ball is currently on the Aggies, but I've dropped the confidence score to 1. The Crystal Ball used to have a "foggy" feature that indicated the situation was too murky for a prediction. This is a recruitment that would be perfect for a foggy Crystal Ball.

There's been confidence on the Texas and LSU sides, and nobody in College Station seems to be ready to throw in the towel.

We're told by several people close to Williams that he's given no indication of where he's leaning, and one source is adamant that he may not ultimately know until he makes the announcement.

As of this moment, our best intel leads us to a head-to-head duel between Texas and LSU, with Texas A&M still lurking as a presence.

The Tigers have been more consistent in the recruitment, but no team has more buzz as of right now than Texas.

If asked today, I'd lean slightly to the Longhorns, but with 72 hours to go, there's a lot that can change.

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

There are like 2 places in DFW not called Hooters that have scantily clad very attractive women that are not also strip clubs.  One is in Plano and one is now in Grapevine.  The rest of these establishments may have an attractive woman here and there, but many of the crew are exceedingly busted and average.  You're better off spending your time at nicer restaurants if you want to see good looking women.  It's a real thing for sure.

Take it to the enshittening thread.

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Streets, on Jonah Williams

"If asked today, I'd lean slightly to the Longhorns, but with 72 hours to go, there's a lot that can change."

Edit - just saw 2147's note ... 

But the real jaw dropper ... lulz.

" ... safeties coach Blake Gideon worked the phones during July while everyone else in the football world went on vacation."

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

The big week is here for five-star safety/linebacker Jonah Williams. The Galveston (Texas) Ball standout will make his commitment Saturday, Aug. 24, bringing a conclusion to one of the more fascinating recruitments of the 2025 cycle. Williams ranked No. 1 on 247Sports director of scouting Andrew Ivins' Freaks List released earlier Wednesday, and it's easy to see why.

A dynamic defender with size and elite testing metrics combined with legitimate skills in football, baseball, basketball, track and field, Williams is one of the more unique prospects from the last several cycles. The 6-foot-3, 203-pound prospect is 247Sports' No. 7 overall prospect, No. 1 linebacker and No. 3 player in Texas.

Williams' decision to commit is huge as he's currently the highest-rated uncommitted prospect in the country. He's played the recruitment extremely tight throughout the past two years, to the point that several people close to him are still in the dark on what will be the eventual decision.

In this age of college football recruiting, it's rare to find races with this much intrigue.

With that in mind, here's where things stand nearly 72 hours out from the decision.

WHO ARE THE TOP SCHOOLS FOR JONAH WILLIAMS?

Let's start with the finalists in the recruitment. Williams named LSU, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC as the schools that he would choose from. This recruitment has been back and forth since the beginning, with several different favorites emerging throughout the timeline.

Texas A&M seemed to be the early favorite in the spring before giving way to Oregon buzz in the summer. LSU had its time in the sun in late July, but Texas is the team with the hottest momentum as of late.

Though the Longhorns didn't host Williams for an official visit, they were able to get him back to Austin during the July visit window and made an impression that changed the tone of the entire recruitment.

After months of having Texas on the back burner, the Longhorns vaulted into the middle of the recruitment. As of the past two weeks, the intel we've gathered points to Williams staying close to home. That would narrow the focus to LSU, Texas and Texas A&M.

After speaking with sources around the college football world and several in Galveston County, there have been some voices indicating the Aggies could be fading. Separate sources told 247Sports that the dialogue remains open between the Aggies and Williams' family, with Texas A&M head coach Mike Elko heavily involved. At this point, we aren't ready to write the Aggies out of the race and see them as a bit of a wild card.

LSU seemed to be the hot pick in July as the Tigers were coming on, thanks to the work of the LSU defensive staff and the allure of playing for the Tigers' baseball program. As of this week, we've been told by multiple sources that LSU is still firmly in the mix and in one of the lead positions to land Williams. In fact, a source in Baton Rouge is as bullish on their chances of landing him as anyone else we've spoken with.

Texas is surging at the right time in this recruitment. The Longhorns went all in to get back involved, and a source familiar with the recruitment told 247Sports that safeties coach Blake Gideon worked the phones during July while everyone else in the football world went on vacation. The Longhorns have a need at safety, which is where they are recruiting Williams.

If he commits to Texas, he'd be the only safety in the class and the highest-ranked player to pledge to the Longhorns in the 2025 cycle. Sources near Williams indicate that being the focal point is appealing to him.

HOW BIG OF A ROLE DOES BASEBALL PLAY?

If you've followed this recruitment at all, you've heard about Williams' prowess on the diamond. Viewed as a legitimate MLB talent, it's probable that Williams will play both sports at the next level.

From what we've been told, his opportunity to play baseball isn't as big of a focal point for Williams as it is for others near him. While he certainly enjoys the sport and excels at it, his heart is with football.

Add in the fact that LSU, Texas and Texas A&M are all in strong positions when it comes to baseball, and there doesn't seem to be an incorrect choice on that front.

Texas A&M is coming off an appearance in the College World Series finals, and LSU is a perennial contender. Texas has a historically dominant baseball program and bolstered its rebuilding effort with the addition of former Texas A&M manager Jim Schlossnagle during the offseason.

From what we're told, baseball won't be the deciding factor.

HOW DOES NIL FACTOR IN?
High-profile recruitments can't be talked about without the presence of NIL anymore. In asking around about Williams, we've been unable to decipher how big of a role it plays, but it's certainly a data point he's considering.

From what we've been able to gather, Texas and LSU are the schools setting the pace on the NIL front, and it's conceivable that any package Williams gets will be combined baseball and football. Texas has been one of the top NIL programs over the last three years in football, while no school outpaces LSU baseball on that front.

READING THE TEA LEAVES
My 247Sports Crystal Ball is currently on the Aggies, but I've dropped the confidence score to 1. The Crystal Ball used to have a "foggy" feature that indicated the situation was too murky for a prediction. This is a recruitment that would be perfect for a foggy Crystal Ball.

There's been confidence on the Texas and LSU sides, and nobody in College Station seems to be ready to throw in the towel.

We're told by several people close to Williams that he's given no indication of where he's leaning, and one source is adamant that he may not ultimately know until he makes the announcement.

As of this moment, our best intel leads us to a head-to-head duel between Texas and LSU, with Texas A&M still lurking as a presence.

The Tigers have been more consistent in the recruitment, but no team has more buzz as of right now than Texas.

If asked today, I'd lean slightly to the Longhorns, but with 72 hours to go, there's a lot that can change.

Did his phone drop any of the calls?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Roach on Jonah Williams:

This will be interesting because each of the LSU, A&M and Texas sites frame themselves in the top two, if not the slight outright favorite (with A&M $9.95ers being the most egregious).  I think the LSU and A&M sites have a habit of this in general—LSU out of arrogance born from historical success and A&M for some unknown reason, maybe fear of letting down their masses?  

But for Williams it seems like each group legitimately believes they will win out.  I wonder if the family is telling each camp what they want to hear.

17 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

This will be interesting because each of the LSU, A&M and Texas sites frame themselves in the top two, if not the slight outright favorite (with A&M $9.95ers being the most egregious).  I think the LSU and A&M sites have a habit of this in general—LSU out of arrogance born from historical success and A&M for some unknown reason, maybe fear of letting down their masses?  

But for Williams it seems like each group legitimately believes they will win out.  I wonder if the family is telling each camp what they want to hear.

Aside from the usual gibberish from TexAgs, I don't think many A&M sites are hyping this one up. 

Billy Embody of the LSU On3 site tried to say yesterday he thought A&M and LSU were the top 2, but the same day Shea Dixon had a post about how Texas is super motivated to win the Williams recruitment because the boosters see they have missed out on most of the other top 5 players in the state (lol). Some of the rhetoric being used on the LSU side reminds me of all the hedging they did leading up to the Colin Simmons announcement

Screenshot(60).thumb.png.4cb471f00be12e37b2cf703c41afac70.png

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You mean like when they reference Simmons recruitment directly in the image you shared? 

Yes, which was funny because Simmons finished as the #5 player in the state last year (Lagway, Bussey, Williams, Hudson all ahead of him). So Texas landed 1 of the top 5 and 3 of the top 10 (Black, Filsaime) in 2024, yet according to Dixon, the boosters will pay up extra since Texas only has 1 of the top 5 so far this year.

Edited by Hookem2147

8 minutes ago, troph said:

not following closely what's going on are we good, is it panic time, I thought we was gonna run it?

Nah. We'd have liked him but apparently he legitimately really liked Norman and also liked the path to playing time a lot more. We're about to get Nick Brooks, which fills the same need.

DB and DT have been the positions people have actually worried about this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, troph said:

not following closely what's going on are we good, is it panic time, I thought we was gonna run it?

We wanted him because we thought he was going to be good. We will get ours in the end but having to face him as part of the land thieves sucks but lets just hope he gets the Adrian Peterson treatment.

Edited by DanTheHorn

47 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not great but not bad. 2026 Turntine will be the big panic button.

What’s the theory on why? NIL, SEC, top 5 team and Sark has done better in prior years with less? 

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

Was this because of an ability to start earlier, NIL $, a little of both....or something else? 

He could play immediately because there’s nobody in front of him there because their Oline eats butt and also he liked the meth they served him on his recruiting trip. 

• Like 1

Why are people talking about playing time when it comes to our OL and the fasuisi  recruitment? Trevor goosby isn’t proven and Brandon baker isn’t a sure thing

Edited by Horn75

2 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

Why are people talking about playing time when it comes to our OL and the fasuisi  recruitment? Trevor goosby isn’t proven and Brandon baker isn’t a sure thing

Because that’s not the way the kid sees it and I’m sure OU is playing that angle up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fasusi is a decent player with great tools, but he isn’t a day 1 D1 starter. He believes he is and that he can do that at OU.

He also has things outside of football that draw him there. Best of luck to him, hopefully we can get back in on Rogers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

Our Oline depth is much better than at meth u

• Like 1