Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sooners have pulled a guy from Lewisville the last 3 years I think. That stretch from Lewisville through Flower Mound into Argyle (including Guyer) is south Oklahoma

Those unwanted immigrants have invaded Frisco as well. We need a northern border wall.  /no cr

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sooners have pulled a guy from Lewisville the last 3 years I think. That stretch from Lewisville through Flower Mound into Argyle (including Guyer) is south Oklahoma

I think our last Fighting Farmer was Denzel Okafor. 

16 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Michelangelo. Splinter obviously trained him with a joke weapon hoping he’d be killed off easily. But he overcame and was super chill about it. 

Was a passenger in a car full of people out out of our minds on acid pulled over by the cops while wearing a $5.99 Michaelangelo costume from Target with my face painted green as a freshman living in Dobie on Halloween…so yeah, I’m going Michaelangelo.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wasn't Fasusi the one with the questionable love of football?  Or am I thinking of another OL?

If so, I'm glad he went elsewhere.  Football is hard, especially in the trenches, and it's difficult to get by on raw talent/size alone at the P4 level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Wasn't Fasusi the one with the questionable love of football?  Or am I thinking of another OL?

If so, I'm glad he went elsewhere.  Football is hard, especially in the trenches, and it's difficult to get by on raw talent/size alone at the P4 level.  

Yes but generally speaking it comes across as sour grapes saying that after he went to blou. also CTJ mentioned that we just straight up lost this recruitment. He liked OU more and the depth chart was attractive to him. We didn't let up.

30 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

Why are people talking about playing time when it comes to our OL and the fasuisi  recruitment? Trevor goosby isn’t proven and Brandon baker isn’t a sure thing

Because at the end of the day it's the kids perspective that matters. That's how he felt and part of what drove him there. 

9 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Yes but generally speaking it comes across as sour grapes saying that after he went to blou. also CTJ mentioned that we just straight up lost this recruitment. He liked OU more and the depth chart was attractive to him. We didn't let up.

But weren't people saying it before he committed?

I seem to recall someone (CTJ?) saying it for months.  Basically saying the staff would take him, but he'd fallen down the priority list.  I don't think it's sour grapes, I think it was the feeling inside Belmont.

2 hours ago, troph said:

not following closely what's going on are we good, is it panic time, I thought we was gonna run it?

sark just got his ass handed to him by fucking OU.  this kid is arguably the top player in the state.  sark is making a habit of this.  yeah, I'd say it's time to panic.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2024 at 10:47 AM, closetojumping said:

Look, all of this considered, one thing that is very critical for everyone here to understand regarding Fasusi - OU just flat out won that recruitment. OU and Texas offered market-level stuff, which is fucking huge for a borderline 5 star OT. The dude is going to OU because he liked his time in Norman and preferred the whole experience to Austin. He also likes their depth chart. Do not have any illusions that Fasusi is choosing OU because Texas is somehow being strategically intelligent against "dead money" on the OL or holding something back for other spots or for Turntine. That's a bunch of bullshit from the staff and their extensions trying to rationalize the inevitable recruiting outcome on this one.

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I seem to recall someone (CTJ?) saying it for months.  Basically saying the staff would take him, but he'd fallen down the priority list.  I don't think it's sour grapes, I think it was the feeling inside Belmont.

Nah.  See above.  Of course the 9.95 guys spin things to keep the suckers paying them happy.  
You’ll win more than you lose.  So that’s always nice…and it’s 95% plus you still pass OU and aggy this cycle.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, futureman said:

sark just got his ass handed to him by fucking OU.  this kid is arguably the top player in the state.  sark is making a habit of this.  yeah, I'd say it's time to panic.

You didn’t want him.  Work ethic and depth chart issues as well.  The low 4 star is a much better fit.  Especially for the culture.  

Did I do that right?

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 5
  • Drool 1

58 minutes ago, troph said:

What’s the theory on why? NIL, SEC, top 5 team and Sark has done better in prior years with less? 

ChiTownDoc just quoted what I wrote yesterday on this recruitment. Few pages back now but you can read it just above and that isn’t just from what I’ve seen but someone nationally respected as well. 

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Correct, but saying it now, the day of the commitment, doesn’t do much for the board. Nothing’s changed though. Bedenbaugh is going to have to prove his worth on Fasusi. He’s done it before, of course. 

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

This is the message board equivalent of benzos. Much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

ChiTownDoc just quoted what I wrote yesterday on this recruitment. Few pages back now but you can read it just above and that isn’t just from what I’ve seen but someone nationally respected as well. 

Correct, but saying it now, the day of the commitment, doesn’t do much for the board. Nothing’s changed though. Bedenbaugh is going to have to prove his worth on Fasusi. He’s done it before, of course. 

I get it, I was just making sure I was thinking of the same guy.

Either way, I'm not too concerned since it never really seemed like he was that interested in Texas from the jump.   I never felt like Texas had a real shot, so it doesn't feel like a loss to me the way losing DK to Oregon did.

Speaking of OT recruits, I just rewatched the Hudl videos for a few of our targets/commitments... give me a line with 5 guys like John Mills and I'll be very happy.  Talk about playing to the whistle.  Any thoughts on why he's only a 3-star?

I love O-linemen who play with a mean streak, and he definitely fits the bill.  Can't wait to see what he can do once he gets a year of S&C under his belt.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was asking more generally, I quoted a guy answering my original question asking what’s the general out look, he said good not great not bad and I was asking why is there anything in particular going on?  In theory we should have more tailwinds than before. I don’t get to follow much so I try to get a feel by lurking every now and again but often times it’s hard to get a nuanced read on it.

46 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Then yes, it had come up a few months ago that his drive for football was in question but the staff would still have absolutely taken him.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, troph said:

I was asking more generally, I quoted a guy answering my original question asking what’s the general out look, he said good not great not bad and I was asking why is there anything in particular going on?  In theory we should have more tailwinds than before. I don’t get to follow much so I try to get a feel by lurking every now and again but often times it’s hard to get a nuanced read on it.

For a general read on recruiting right now. D-Line recruiting seems suspect. We were able to bring Sharma back into the fold which was a big win, but now were largely looking at lower ranked guys who committed elsewhere early. Still in on Myron Charles which would be big. The Dakorien Moore recruitment stung but we got Kaliq Lockett in the boat and are leading for Ffrench. DB recruiting is a big what the fuck. There has been sunshine pumping on Jonah Williams but even if he gets in the boat, most see him as a Baseball/MLB risk, and even then he's a tweener who seems likely to wind up at LB. Our O-Line recruiting is largely ok, especially if you're in the "trust the flood," camp, though missing on Lamont Rogers and Fasusi is painful though not world ending. We should be adding a gigantic take in Nick Brooks to the O-Line room as well. 

If I missed any of the summer highlights, others can feel free to chime in, but this is largely what the thread has revolved around recently.

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Horn75 said:

Why are people talking about playing time when it comes to our OL and the fasuisi  recruitment? Trevor goosby isn’t proven and Brandon baker isn’t a sure thing

And Fasusi is a sure thing?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

For a general read on recruiting right now. D-Line recruiting seems suspect. We were able to bring Sharma back into the fold which was a big win, but now were largely looking at lower ranked guys who committed elsewhere early. Still in on Melvin Hills which would be big. The Dakorien Moore recruitment stung but we got Kaliq Lockett in the boat and are leading for Ffrench. DB recruiting is a big what the fuck. There has been sunshine pumping on Josiah Williams but even if he gets in the boat, most see him as a Baseball/MLB risk, and even then he's a tweener who seems likely to wind up at LB. Our O-Line recruiting is largely ok, especially if you're in the "trust the flood," camp, though missing on Lamont Rogers and Fasusi is painful though not world ending. We should be adding a gigantic take in Nick Brooks to the O-Line room as well. 

If I missed any of the summer highlights, others can feel free to chime in, but this is largely what the thread has revolved around recently.

why such mixed results? we now have SEC, top 5 program, NIL, etc. I get DL unproven coach, but a good class recent history and the excitement of it means more?

Just now, troph said:

why such mixed results? we now have SEC, top 5 program, NIL, etc. I get DL unproven coach, but a good class recent history and the excitement of it means more?

Well, that depends on who you ask. With Dakorien Moore it seems like it was an undeniablely large paycheck with the desire to get away from home. On the DL, our new DL coach, while getting good reviews from our current players, has no recruiting skins on the wall. Most here consider Gideon and Joseph lack luster on the recruiting trail. Also as CTJ has mentioned, there will be the inevitable large amount dropped for specific targets for teams who feel like the player is a cant miss at a position of need.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Well, that depends on who you ask. With Dakorien Moore it seems like it was an undeniablely large paycheck with the desire to get away from home. On the DL, our new DL coach, while getting good reviews from our current players, has no recruiting skins on the wall. Most here consider Gideon and Joseph lack luster on the recruiting trail. Also as CTJ has mentioned, there will be the inevitable large amount dropped for specific targets for teams who feel like the player is a cant miss at a position of need.

Makes sense thanks.

14 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you don't follow recruiting regularly, it's pretty difficult to contextualize the landscape when there are a ton of moving parts. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you don't follow recruiting regularly, it's pretty difficult to contextualize the landscape when there are a ton of moving parts. 

I’m good, got what I needed. You mighta missed the part where I said I lurk. But it’s hard when so many posts are drive by non sequitur responses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian closes well and a lot of recruitments will not be settled until closer to December, even currently committed players. That’s not unusual for the big boys, of which we are one. The days of Mack stocking up in the spring and hanging on don’t work these days. 

Texas is going to finish with another top 4-7 class and doesn’t usually sign the same amount as other programs due to culture and effective usage of the portal. It may look odd now, but it’s no different than the prior periods under Sarkisian. 

If it helps, none of us paying attention planned on landing the last few guys where the Texas hat was metaphorically on the table. I expect Texas to land Brooks and Ffrench soon. The tea leaves say Texas for Williams as well, and that would be a surprise compared to what anyone thought 6 weeks ago. Those 3 are high 4 stars or 5 stars and will further drive the class into the top 10. 

Excellent thanks for taking the time. 

For a general read on recruiting right now. D-Line recruiting seems suspect. We were able to bring Sharma back into the fold which was a big win, but now were largely looking at lower ranked guys who committed elsewhere early. Still in on Melvin Hills which would be big. The Dakorien Moore recruitment stung but we got Kaliq Lockett in the boat and are leading for Ffrench. DB recruiting is a big what the fuck. There has been sunshine pumping on Josiah Williams but even if he gets in the boat, most see him as a Baseball/MLB risk, and even then he's a tweener who seems likely to wind up at LB. Our O-Line recruiting is largely ok, especially if you're in the "trust the flood," camp, though missing on Lamont Rogers and Fasusi is painful though not world ending. We should be adding a gigantic take in Nick Brooks to the O-Line room as well. 

Isn’t Melvin Hills already on campus?

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Speaking of OT recruits, I just rewatched the Hudl videos for a few of our targets/commitments... give me a line with 5 guys like John Mills and I'll be very happy.  Talk about playing to the whistle.  Any thoughts on why he's only a 3-star?

I love O-linemen who play with a mean streak, and he definitely fits the bill.  Can't wait to see what he can do once he gets a year of S&C under his belt.

John Mills is gonna be a dude. Criminally underrated, but he has the potential to be a high draft pick under Flood. That kid gets it. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He means Myron Charles (and Jonah, not Josiah, Williams)

I really think we land Charles. I bet he shows up to a game or two and we land him in December. He and Sharma seemed to get close and want to play together. I would assume they talk pretty regularly. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian closes well and a lot of recruitments will not be settled until closer to December, even currently committed players. That’s not unusual for the big boys, of which we are one. The days of Mack stocking up in the spring and hanging on don’t work these days. 

Texas is going to finish with another top 4-7 class and doesn’t usually sign the same amount as other programs due to culture and effective usage of the portal. It may look odd now, but it’s no different than the prior periods under Sarkisian. 

If it helps, none of us paying attention planned on landing the last few guys where the Texas hat was metaphorically on the table. I expect Texas to land Brooks and Ffrench soon. The tea leaves say Texas for Williams as well, and that would be a surprise compared to what anyone thought 6 weeks ago. Those 3 are high 4 stars or 5 stars and will further drive the class into the top 10. 

Should be getting Terry III too right?

So we're getting Jonah Williams, Jaime Ffrench, Nick Brooks, AND Michael Terry? 

Sign me the fuck up. Also, let's form a prayer circle and hope we land Madden Faraimo or flip Pettijohn. Need more DB'S and DT, but I still feel hopeful we'll land Myron Charles since he and Sharma want to play together. But even then we need 1-2 more, which I'm sure will be late in the cycle, or we're back to the portal again (which is fine. They're proven bodies, and so far it sounds like we've hit with what we have). 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Yeah, you get in the northern suburbs of DFW, and Norman is probably an hour to 1 1/2 hours less of a drive than Austin. I've always thought that pulling anyone from north of DFW was a feat, on it's own. Especially when OU is hitting on all cylinders.

CHIEF