Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yeah, you get in the northern suburbs of DFW, and Norman is probably an hour to 1 1/2 hours less of a drive than Austin. I've always thought that pulling anyone from north of DFW was a feat, on it's own. Especially when OU is hitting on all cylinders.

CHIEF

• Haha 8
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

As a soph he ran a 12.02 in the 100, so I don't know if that's good or not for a LB

Not elite speed, but that was a couple of years ago. He needs to be at least a second or a smidge more speed to be a sideline to sideline, dropped for no gain kinda guy.

CHIEF

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Anyone who isnt a fucking loser and is from the state of Texas should not give a flying fuck about the drive time to Austin vs Oklahoma. You should never be allowed back and if I were in charge you would be shot at leaving the state.

Matt Leblanc Man With A Plan Cbs GIF by CBS

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, I'm out in the middle of nowhere California so I have time on my hands.

After missing out on Fasusi I decided to see how 5* OTs have panned out, using NFL draft position as a proxy.  

According to 247, between 2015 and 2020, there were 23 composite 5-Star OTs.  Of those, 15 were drafted... 65% hit rate.  On average, of those drafted, they were the 4th OT taken and 40th pick overall.

------

Between 2019 and 2024 (approximate time frame of draft eligibility for the classes listed above), there were 65 OTs drafted in the first 3 rounds.

1st Round

29 OTs Drafted

Average OT position rank out of HS - 39th (Highest #1, Lowest #169)

Ranked in another position out of HS - 2 (1 Guard, 1 Center)

Not ranked out of HS - 1

2nd Round

16 OTs Drafted

Average OT position rank out of HS - 55th (Highest #1, Lowest #179)

Ranked in another position out of HS - 3 (1 SDE, 1 DT, 1 Guard)

Not ranked out of HS - 1

3rd Round

20 OTs Drafted

Average OT position rank out of HS - 77th (Highest #1, Lowest #274)

Ranked in another position out of HS - 6 (5 guards, 1 TE)

Not ranked out of HS - 3

In other words, yes 5-star OTs are nice to have, but don't panic... we currently have the composite 41st and 48th OTs and a chance at #19.  We'll be fine.

And as I noted earlier, I think Mills is going to be a good one.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

In other words, yes 5-star OTs are nice to have, but don't panic... we currently have the composite 41st and 48th OTs and a chance at #19.  

I bet you think that, if you were to actually touch a boob, it would feel like a bag of sand.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Mills is a beast and underrated as fuck. Saw an interview with him and he's a smart kid. Knows his weaknesses and is working on them. He wants to he ready when he steps on campus. Works hard on his off days and studies film. This kid is going to be big time. 

I read that in Bobby Hill’s voice.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Yeah, you get in the northern suburbs of DFW, and Norman is probably an hour to 1 1/2 hours less of a drive than Austin. I've always thought that pulling anyone from north of DFW was a feat, on it's own. Especially when OU is hitting on all cylinders.

CHIEF

all cylinders OU is probably losing 4 or 5 games this year

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Was a passenger in a car full of people out out of our minds on acid pulled over by the cops while wearing a $5.99 Michaelangelo costume from Target with my face painted green as a freshman living in Dobie on Halloween…so yeah, I’m going Michaelangelo.

So What 80S GIF by Warner Archive

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You didn’t want him.  Work ethic and depth chart issues as well.  The low 4 star is a much better fit.  Especially for the culture.  

Did I do that right?

He’s a disgusting fatbody who will never amount to shit.  Hope that helps.

Oh, and, I would not bang Sydney Sweeney.  She has sharp knees.

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

I feel fairly confident saying that OL rankings are the least accurate historically. The Brocks going to Bama almost broke this board and put a nail in Tom Herman’s coffin. I guess all of that worked out for the best in hindsight.

I’m not a big trust the coaches guy, but I have a hard time getting too worked up about OL recruiting notwithstanding blatant dereliction of duty. You know, stay away from cubes and don’t do stupid shit like only take one in a cycle. Let Flood coach them up for a few years and we’re going to be good up there. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I’m not a big trust the coaches guy, but I have a hard time getting too worked up about OL recruiting notwithstanding blatant dereliction of duty

The interior d-lineman we wanted the most from the transfer portal went to OU.

The OT we originally wanted the most this recruiting cycle just committed to OU. 

Maybe they both will suck, but no one can be encouraged if this pattern continues. Sark's best o-line recruting haul was a freak circumstance brought about when Mario bolted from Oregon. No one should be in complete freakout mode, but no one should be whelmed either. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Are you fucking serious? The dline is obviously a concern but the offensive line room hasn't been stacked like this in probably 40 years. And you're bitching about one recruit going to OU? Even in Mack's prime, offensive line depth and development was a consistent weak spot. 

only our fans can melt over one player.. Now I get if this was 2021 and we desperately needed good OL.. but we are not in that hell hole anymore, thank goodness

21 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

only our fans can melt over one player.. Now I get if this was 2021 and we desperately needed good OL.. but we are not in that hell hole anymore, thank goodness

I'm not going back to see who is whining, but this chapter was written over a month ago. Brooks is solid and @closetojumping probably knows if the staff has kept in touch with and is preparing to circle back to Rogers.

Something to consider regarding Williams, and I don't know how much public play this gets or doesn't because I don't watch most of the streams or read the gurus outside of OTF. The dad is a county? judge down that way. He gets a whole lot of cachet if his boy makes a big move to Texas or ATM. Less so if he leaves the state. It's not nothing. 

The big reason no one is being assertive about this recruitment is due to NIL and its relevance versus other recruiting and school parameters. NIL will play a role here, but how much of one isn't clear. The other part of the NIL equation is simply the unknown. Does Marucci step up with something crazy? Can Texas football NIL hold a candle to it? LSU doesn't have the horses on the FB side, but will they get the baseball assist? From the ATM end, does the football NIL break the bank to overcome the concern around the noob in the baseball HC role? 

None of the gurus for any of these schools can read those tea leaves yet. Nevermind Oregon showing up with something so fucking silly that it makes everything else moot. No way that happens, right? Right?

All of this for a guy who isn't a safety, doesn't want to be a linebacker, and is way more toolsy than functional on a diamond.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I love a good hedge from Nahlin and the subsequent shitting on his posters when he is wrong. Not saying he is wrong about this right now just a general statement.

Yeah, he likes to hype up a narrative and then blame the fans when they react to said narrative being wrong and accuse them of being dumb. They are dumb but only because they listened to him in the first place. It’s why OTF has 6 to 7 more times the number of subscribers on YouTube than he does.

Judge Billy Williams Jr. is Galveston County Justice of the Peace for Precinct 3. It's an elected position. County Judge would be a lot bigger deal, politically. 

Let's hope Fong and Nahlin are correct. I will be going to some of the Tors football games and I would love to root for Jonah without hesitancy. :)  

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fong just flipped his pick on Jonah Williams from A&M to Texas

What he wrote (lol still has to give his boy Elko a lifeline):

Spoiler

Confidence around Texas and the position the Longhorns have in the recruitment of Galveston (Texas) Ballfive-star safety Jonah Williams has soared since hosting him at the end of July. It was the last trip of the process for Williams and an experience that continues to resonate. Sources around the Burnt Orange continue to feel strong about where they stand. 

From Steve Sarkisian on the football side to Jim Schlossnagle on the baseball side, the Longhorns have been relentless in recruiting Williams. Safeties coach Blake Gideon is the lead recruiter as well.

Texas is battling LSU, USC, Texas A&M and Oregon heading into Saturday’s commitment date. It can be viewed on the On3 YouTube Channel at 7:30pm ET. 

I’m moving my pick from the Aggies to the Longhorns.

With all that being said, a few sources believe this one is coming down to Texas and LSU. I also get the sense there is still confidence around College Station that Williams could still end up playing there as well. Even if he picks the Longhorns or Tigers (or somewhere else) they’ll push to get him to that season opener against Notre Dame.

LSU is still having regular conversation with the family as they dot I’s and cross T’s of this recruitment. The Tigers have prioritized Williams as long as any other finalist.

When Williams took his official visit to Oregon the weekend of June 21 there was traction for the Ducks coming out of that trip. Head coach Dan Lanning and his staff have tried to regain that footing in the last week.

• Hook 'Em 3

Shea Dixon word vomiting and saying Texas is money whipping Jonah Williams

Spoiler

It’s been all hands on deck for LSU in terms of recruiting the two-sport standout, which even included an in-home visit from head baseball coach Jay Johnson. With Williams hoping to play both football and baseball in college, the Tigers have been in the lead group from the start.

I had long felt this would come down to Texas A&M vs. LSU for the Galveston standout given proximity to home combined with both programs offering the combination of football and baseball at the highest level. When Texas A&M’s baseball staff left for Texas, the buzz around the Longhorns heated up – so much so that the lone campus visit Williams made during the seven days between the summer and August NCAA dead periods was to Austin.

LSU’s communication with Jonah and his family, notably his father, Billy, has not dropped off as decision day nears. That’s good news, but it only means the Tigers are still in the mix. It seems the buzz around schools like Oregon, Oklahoma and Southern Cal has cooled, leaving LSU, Texas and Texas A&M as the trio of teams talked up the most this week. That’s no surprise given all three offer up the chance to play in the SEC and are closer to home.

When speaking with sources on the LSU side and elsewhere, I’ve not been told Williams has committed to the Tigers. In short, LSU isn’t sitting on a silent commit and having to hold on tight until Saturday night. Instead, it’s been a continued pitch of need, development, fit and – notably – NIL discussions.

With Williams eyeing two sports in college, and the 5-star set to be in the prospect pool for the Major League Baseball Draft next summer – multiple sources tell The Bengal Tiger and On3 that the NIL number is much higher than other safeties around the country, and has reached the same range as top prospects at positions like quarterback and cornerback.

To get a sense for how quickly things can shift, multiple sources say LSU’s NIL package was the biggest just two weeks ago. Then, the Longhorns – and potentially others – moved beyond that number.

Many feel this has been a battle between LSU and Texas, but as Wiltfong noted, there’s no reason to sleep on Texas A&M at this stage given the Aggies are still in talks with Williams and were the program circled by many as the team to beat at one point in his recruitment.

From speaking with sources on a number of sides, I feel this could be a situation where the Longhorns go all-out for Williams in a “backs against the wall” moment for the program to battle through. Why? The misses the Longhorns have had in the 2025 cycle have led to a situation where if Texas misses on Williams, the Longhorns won’t have commitments from any prospect ranked inside the Top 6 players in the state. The On3 Industry Rankings have 5-star+ wide receiver Dakorien Moore, a one-time LSU commit, at No. 1 in the state, and he’s committed to Oregon. 5-star cornerback Devin Sanchez, the No. 2 player in Texas, is committed to Ohio State. Alabama has commitments from the No. 4 and No. 6 prospects in the Lone Star State in offensive tackle Ty Haywood and quarterback Keelon Russell. The Longhorns also recently missed out on offensive lineman Michael Fasusi, the No. 5 player in Texas, when he picked Oklahoma on Wednesday.

As of August 22, the highest-ranked player in Texas committed to the Longhorns is wide receiver Kaliq Lockett, who checks in at No. 7 in the state rankings.

LSU also flipped a Top 100 prospect away from Texas when cornerback Kade Phillips joined the No. 3 class in Baton Rouge within the past week, which followed up the Tigers going into Texas and beating out the Longhorns and others for another Top 100 prospect in defensive lineman Zion Williams. Toss in the Tigers flipping an On300 4-star defensive lineman away from Texas in Brandon Brown, and the Longhorns are very much in need of a big win on the recruiting trail. LSU is also trending ahead of Texas to land Louisiana cornerback Aidan Anding, a one-time Longhorns lean who is also set to announce his college choice on Saturday.

With 48 hours until a decision from Williams is revealed, the 5-star remains the lone Top 5 prospect in Texas who remains uncommitted. For me, the intel I’ve gathered points to Texas doing anything and everything they can to not miss out on Williams, which would give the Longhorns at least one Top 5 in-state recruit this cycle. It feels a bit like when Texas made a similar push for 5-star Colin Simmons a year ago, and the Longhorns buckled in at the end and reeled in his commitment.

I have not made any On3 RPM picks on Williams, in large part because with so many teams involved, I felt this would come down to NIL discussions across the final weeks and days ahead of his announcement. And that feels like what’s unfolded after the No. 1 safety in the class revealed his would make his college choice ahead of his senior season.

LSU could win out here, as could the Aggies. I’m not ruling out either of the two programs at this stage. But, my intel combined with my read on the recruitment tells me there’s a reason Texas went from outside the top teams to the On3 RPM leader in a short span. The Longhorns have to get a big recruiting win in the program’s home state, and Williams is one of the last chances to pull that off. As we enter the final 48 hours, expect all the teams involved to continue to make their pitch to Williams, but for full transparency, I feel – as do other sources I trust – that Texas has the most the lose at this stage, which in turn makes them the team ready to do whatever it takes to win out. If this were a Top 5 Louisiana prospect who remained uncommitted as the other four top recruits were leaving the Bayou State, I would expect the exact same “all out” approach from the Tigers.

As more intel comes in between now and Saturday evening, The Bengal Tiger and On3 will bring LSU fans the latest as the Tigers look to add a third safety to a class that already includes a pair of 4-stars in Louisiana’s Jhase Thomas and Tennessee’s CJ Jimcoily.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jamie Ffrench announcing at 7:30 AM CT next Friday per Gerry this morning 

Ffrench is a must get, IMO.

As I posted after watching him in the 7 on 7 championships back in June, I think he's the best receiver in the '25 class.

That's not a knock on DK... would love to get them both, but Jamie looked like a man amongst boys.  

You would think a guy like Shea Dixon, who has been around forever and is pretty respected, would have better logic than "x school just needs a win on the trail because they missed out on the other top 5 guys in-state so they throwing around all the money they can because the boosters are angry!."

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fong just flipped his pick on Jonah Williams from A&M to Texas

To me, this is a domino falling. If Elko believed that he had what he needs to match or overcome the no-name baseball guy, he’d have told that to Wilfong. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

You would think a guy like Shea Dixon, who has been around forever and is pretty respected, would have better logic than "x school just needs a win on the trail because they missed out on the other top 5 guys in-state so they throwing around all the money they can because the boosters are angry!."

We are dealing with an industry full of lowest common denominators. 

• Haha 1

His only rationale in that entire waste of words was that Texas moved from outside of the top group of schools to the probable pick solely due to money. 

His lack of info on the situation is further highlighted by him claiming that Williams is gonna be in the MLB draft next summer.