Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

10 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

And we still have one fucking DL in the class. One. Some of y'all ripped on me for pissing my pants when we missed on guys like Brown and Zion Williams and I'm sure you'll rip on me again. Fuck you in advance. But at what point do we get concerned? Because that room is going to get really empty after this season and recruiting more 5-star WR isn't going to change that uncomfortable fact. 

So because the DL room will be thin after the season, we should stop recruiting highly talented players at another room that is likely to lose a lot of talent as well? 

Buying high-level portal WRs every offseason ain't cheap. There is a benefit to signing and developing your own. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I'm going to stick my dick in the mash potatoes real quick. 

Getting Ffrench is great. But loading up on WR doesn't tickle my pickle anymore. It's too easy to get good WR from the portal and I'd rather win battles for talent that can really only be sourced from high school. Herman had highly ranked classes full of DBs and WRs, and that turned out to be a less than optimal strategy. 

Getting Brooks is great. The other OL commits in 2025 seem like bread and Brooks is a step up. But he's the exception that raises a question - why is there so much bread? Are we just suffering from our success, where good prospects see a crowded room and look elsewhere for quick playing time? 

Getting Jonah Williams is great. Hard to complain about pulling in a 5-star safety, especially when it upsets the Aggies so much. But I can't wipe from my memory all the times I read that he was more interested in baseball and that he wouldn't drop down to LB, even if that was a better fit. I'm not saying the kid will bust, just that there are a disconcerting number of caveats attached to this recruitment. If he went to the Aggies, what would we be saying?

And we still have one fucking DL in the class. One. Some of y'all ripped on me for pissing my pants when we missed on guys like Brown and Zion Williams and I'm sure you'll rip on me again. Fuck you in advance. But at what point do we get concerned? Because that room is going to get really empty after this season and recruiting more 5-star WR isn't going to change that uncomfortable fact. 

I look forward to all the comments comparing me to genitals and/or the mentally handicapped. Cheers. 

Disagree on the OL. Devin Coleman is going to be a monster at guard, and the other guys are quality development takes.  With all of the hyperbole around Williams, the fact remains that he is easily one of, if not the most talented safety in the country in this cycle who made a decision that he wants to play college football rather than go to the MLB draft. On DL, our edge class is the best class we have had in decades. I would put money on us flipping another highly ranked DT before all is said and done and probably identifying a later Sr. riser. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

So because the DL room will be thin after the season, we should stop recruiting highly talented players at another room that is likely to lose a lot of talent as well? 

I appreciate that you're making a ridiculous statement to illustrate a point, but I'll go ahead and point out that that isn't what I said. A more accurate way to phrase it would be that we are dedicating limiting resources like time and money to recruiting rooms that are fully stocked and more easily filled from the portal. I would prefer that we dedicate those resources to rooms that are thin and difficult to fill using the portal. 

I've read on this board and elsewhere that Sark and Banks direct recruiting for all positions, and that they don't value DL as much as they value WR. Or, at least, that they aren't interested in "overpaying" for DL, which seems more and more like that's just the market. That has resulted in a negative trend for our DL room. 

Or am I wrong and DL recruiting is going, like, super well?

• Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

That dude is a cunt. LSU has bought players under the table for decades and now that it’s legal and Texas is waving the wallet, LSU should “walk away”? Step back and fuck your own face.

My team paying players is just how it's done these days. Your team paying players stinks to high heavens.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I've read on this board and elsewhere that Sark and Banks direct recruiting for all positions,

I've never read anything about Banks having any say on defensive recruits.  And I've read every word ever written on this board.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Getting Ffrench is great. But loading up on WR doesn't tickle my pickle anymore. It's too easy to get good WR from the portal and I'd rather win battles for talent that can really only be sourced from high school. Herman had highly ranked classes full of DBs and WRs, and that turned out to be a less than optimal strategy. 

Getting Brooks is great. The other OL commits in 2025 seem like bread and Brooks is a step up. But he's the exception that raises a question - why is there so much bread? Are we just suffering from our success, where good prospects see a crowded room and look elsewhere for quick playing time? 

Getting Jonah Williams is great. Hard to complain about pulling in a 5-star safety, especially when it upsets the Aggies so much. But I can't wipe from my memory all the times I read that he was more interested in baseball and that he wouldn't drop down to LB, even if that was a better fit. I'm not saying the kid will bust, just that there are a disconcerting number of caveats attached to this recruitment. If he went to the Aggies, what would we be saying?

I look forward to all the comments comparing me to genitals and/or the mentally handicapped. Cheers. 

I think most rational fans are concerned about DL recruiting. It is still early and Sark has been pretty good at pulling rabbits out of the hat (I believe this is his highest rated class in August during his tenure at Texas). Not quite to panic mode, if there is 1 in December it will be time to freak out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This is a good post in the sense that it's well-informed, spells everyone's name right, and invites discussion about recruiting. Bravo.

I don't have the bandwidth to really comment or rebut anything, but I did want to echo the guy above in saying the higher-ranked Coleman twin is really good.

23 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I appreciate that you're making a ridiculous statement to illustrate a point, but I'll go ahead and point out that that isn't what I said. A more accurate way to phrase it would be that we are dedicating limiting resources like time and money to recruiting rooms that are fully stocked and more easily filled from the portal. I would prefer that we dedicate those resources to rooms that are thin and difficult to fill using the portal. 

I've read on this board and elsewhere that Sark and Banks direct recruiting for all positions, and that they don't value DL as much as they value WR. Or, at least, that they aren't interested in "overpaying" for DL, which seems more and more like that's just the market. That has resulted in a negative trend for our DL room. 

Or am I wrong and DL recruiting is going, like, super well?

Our DL recruiting isn't going great, so we shouldn't focus to land difference makers elsewhere is a wild stance to take.

32 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Thank you for telling me what month it is. Last month, someone was helpful enough to tell me that it was July. Before that it was June. And DJ Sanders and Myron Charles were still on the board. They aren't anymore. 

You should know the months of the year.

You shouldn’t need people to help you learn them at this point. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think most rational fans are concerned about DL recruiting. It is still early and Sark has been pretty good at pulling rabbits out of the hat (I believe this is his highest rated class in August during his tenure at Texas). Not quite to panic mode, if there is 1 in December it will be time to freak out. 

Yeah, I agree that panicking isn't warranted. And to be honest, I'm not panicking. The program overall is in good hands and the overall trend is solid.

But I don't think that means we have to sit here and pump sunshine. If we want championships and a return to (maybe even improve upon) the halcyon days of 2000-2009, then we need to recruit well across the board. People say "it's only August" but I look at teams like Georgia and OSU who already have a full boat and don't understand why our fans don't expect the same thing. Or, even if not a full boat, I'd like to at least have some irons in the fire to be excited about. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is a good post in the sense that it's well-informed, spells everyone's name right, and invites discussion about recruiting. Bravo.

I don't have the bandwidth to really comment or rebut anything, but I did want to echo the guy above in saying the higher-ranked Coleman twin is really good.

For a young guy, you have mastered the art of damning by faint praise. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't recall comparing you to genitals or calling you a mental midget. I'm interested in reading that color, however. 

I don't think your lamentations are without merit, but I can offer some thoughts that might help. 

On WRs - They're only going after difference makers these days. All four of the guys they've pushed for have either unique skill sets that are hard to find or they're the cream of the crop and can compete early. They added some developmental guys last cycle, but you're not seeing that here. Supplementing this kind of recruiting with the portal looks like a great formula. 

On OL - Flood is getting the guys he wants. He's done a good job of mixing in the potential early contributors with high rankings and evaluations he believes in. I don't know how you watch footage of Mills and think he's a JAG. The other guys have the size he wants and they want/need to be developed at Texas. OL are the worst evaluated players every cycle by the $9.95ers. There is the occasionaly Kelvin Banks, but they're rare. The services fuck up OL rankings constantly. With that considered, it is truly a "do you trust the coaches?" premise for every program. If you think Flood knows what he's doing, you shouldn't have a problem. If you do, so be it. I can say that they like their OL room. They've had several young backups show interest in leaving and they've invested both time and money to keep them. People within the program apparently think they're putting OLs into the draft almost every year from last year forward. 

On Jonah Williams - I've been pushing the red flags regarding him from the beginning of his recruitment. One of the big red flags is gone - MLB. So that alone makes him more attractive since you can bank on having him. Three more red flags can be alleged - 1) does he really want to be a great football player, 2) how much will baseball affect the premise of becoming a great football player and 3) he thinks he's a safety and everybody else thinks he's a LB. 

I don't know how to reconcile 1 & 2 for this recruit. I don't think anyone can. We're going to have to watch it unfold. Is he very serious about both sports? Does he favor one? Will he get enough reps at either? Etc., so forth. To me, these issues should give all of us pause. It's HIGHLY unlikely that he's the unicorn who excels at both in college. If he winds up being great at one and dumping the other, I still think that would be a win for UT sports fans. 

As to item 3, someone on here compared the situation to the recruitment of Overshown and that feels like a decent analog. The difference is that some folks believed that Overshown could remain a good safety. I guess the other thing that is different is that the reason the dude now is ranked so highly is due to the Harold Perkins comparisons at LB, which is all projection but understandable. 

So for Williams, my view is that Texas fans should be pumped if he commits to Texas. We'll also be entertained from the enemy consternation. It's up to the individual in terms of whether or not you think the player, the S&C staff, the football staff and the baseball staff can navigate their way into seeing the guy develop into a difference maker for either roster. If he goes elsewhere, none of these thoughts change for me, other than what level of faith I have in terms of someone else developing him properly.

On DL - The handling of the DT recruiting is worthy of derision, while the handling of the DE/Edge recruiting should be lauded. If the services had any balls, Jackson would finish as a 5 star, because he profiles as such, right down to the pedigreed blood lines at this point. On DT, they're going to wind up signing 4 guys. They've found several they like who are visiting soon and they think they're going to flip 1-2 guys late. 

BTW, if you really need to wring your hands right now, why aren't you sweating CB/NB recruiting? That looks like a shit show on par with DT.

Thank you, this is helpful context. Some other posters have mentioned Mills as well and I agree that his tape looks much better than his ranking. My only thought is that St. Ignatius Prep in CA may not play the best competition, but that's not really a valid concern. I'll amend my comment to be slightly more positive about OL recruiting. And you are right about edge - the DE recruiting has been good. I'm old enough that I still think of those positions as "End" and "Tackle" but have gotten into the bad habit of using "DL" to refer exclusively to tackle. I more worried about the big guys in the middle of the DL. 

And I didn't write anything about DB recruiting because I can only dump so much sand out of my vagina in one post. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I've never read anything about Banks having any say on defensive recruits.  And I've read every word ever written on this board.

I have intimated that Banks is involved with every aspect of recruiting and that's because he is. There are guys that get to take whatever approach and go after whatever evaluations they desire, and there are guys who have a tighter leash. 

One other thing that this board doesn't seem to want to fully digest is that both Sarkisian and Banks are starfuckers. They're human. They're not starfuckers to the level of Jimbo Fisher or Ryan Day, but they tend to overemphasize the glamour position and highly rated recruit if all things are equal. Guys like Flood, Choice and Nansen can override that, but others cannot.

• Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I get you. There are times when I share some of your mashed-potato-fucking tendencies, so I'm gonna respond to these one-by-one.

"Easy" ain't the right word. It's fair to assume that Bond, Golden, and Bolden all game with significant NIL commitments attached. Clearly Sark has decided that it's going to be a point of emphasis for his offense to always have a stable of badasses at WR. Cook, Moore, and Wingo are all HS WR that are expected to contribute heavily this year. Lockett and Ffrench are right there with those guys in talent. Any lower-ranked HS WR we take (your Dubose/Livingstone types from last cycle) are probably guys that have interesting traits but are happy to develop and come with reasonable NIL asks.

Ketch of all fucking people had a long post the other day that kind of addressed this. OL very rarely contribute early at a healthy program, unlike say WR. Our depth chart right now is such that we cannot allocate high 6 figures or more to a 5-star OL that may not see the field for 2 years. Supposedly we were willing to meet Fasusi's ask, but just got beat by OU in that recruitment. It happens. But the rest of these guys are developmental and that's OK. Like someone else said, I really like Mills's tape. He's a fucking brawler. Personally I hope we circle back to/stay in on Rogers. I'm on record as liking his tape as well.

The thing about Williams is that the raw materials are superb, hence the rating. I tried to compare him to Overshown a few pages back, who was also a big safety that was reluctant to play LB at first. Now he's an NFL starter at LB. If you can convince Williams he's an LB eventually, you've got an NFL player. LSU and A&M really want the guy, too (witness the intensity of LSU's sour grapes over the last couple days).

Strawman. Pretty much everyone here is concerned about this, dude. DT and DB are concerns 1A and 1B for the entire recruiting cycle, next highest concern isn't even on the chart. An optimistic viewpoint is that the current roster is set up to have badasses at EDGE and a rotating cast of warm bodies at DT and the coaching staff appears to be fine with that. Hence that's what's reflected in the recruiting class. We're also hoping that we can flip at least one badass this fall. Come join us over here at the Copeacabana Club.

You smell like dick cheese and your post reads like it was written by a troglodyte after sitting through a remedial writing class at ousux. How's that? Happy Friday.

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Our DL recruiting isn't going great, so we shouldn't focus to land difference makers elsewhere is a wild stance to take.

I'll make it as simple as I can because apparently I'm not explaining myself. That's on me.

I want us to take a bunch of the money we're spending on WR recruiting on drop it in some DTs' laps.

You should recruit all positions, but the staff seems to value WR to the detriment of other positions. The money, time, and attention we can lavish on recruits is a pie, and if we cut a bigger slice for one room then there's less pie left over for other rooms. DTs are fat and they like a lot of pie. We need to allocate more of it to their recruitments if we want to pull in the top prospects. 

So, to the extent the allocation of recruiting resources is a zero-sum game, I would rather us focus on DT more than WR. But that is not the same thing as saying "we should stop recruiting WR altogether" which would obviously be regarded.

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I get you. There are times when I share some of your mashed-potato-fucking tendencies, so I'm gonna respond to these one-by-one.

"Easy" ain't the right word. It's fair to assume that Bond, Golden, and Bolden all game with significant NIL commitments attached. Clearly Sark has decided that it's going to be a point of emphasis for his offense to always have a stable of badasses at WR. Cook, Moore, and Wingo are all HS WR that are expected to contribute heavily this year. Lockett and Ffrench are right there with those guys in talent. Any lower-ranked HS WR we take (your Dubose/Livingstone types from last cycle) are probably guys that have interesting traits but are happy to develop and come with reasonable NIL asks.

Ketch of all fucking people had a long post the other day that kind of addressed this. OL very rarely contribute early at a healthy program, unlike say WR. Our depth chart right now is such that we cannot allocate high 6 figures or more to a 5-star OL that may not see the field for 2 years. Supposedly we were willing to meet Fasusi's ask, but just got beat by OU in that recruitment. It happens. But the rest of these guys are developmental and that's OK. Like someone else said, I really like Mills's tape. He's a fucking brawler. Personally I hope we circle back to/stay in on Rogers. I'm on record as liking his tape as well.

The thing about Williams is that the raw materials are superb, hence the rating. I tried to compare him to Overshown a few pages back, who was also a big safety that was reluctant to play LB at first. Now he's an NFL starter at LB. If you can convince Williams he's an LB eventually, you've got an NFL player. LSU and A&M really want the guy, too (witness the intensity of LSU's sour grapes over the last couple days).

Strawman. Pretty much everyone here is concerned about this, dude. DT and DB are concerns 1A and 1B for the entire recruiting cycle, next highest concern isn't even on the chart. An optimistic viewpoint is that the current roster is set up to have badasses at EDGE and a rotating cast of warm bodies at DT and the coaching staff appears to be fine with that. Hence that's what's reflected in the recruiting class. We're also hoping that we can flip at least one badass this fall. Come join us over here at the Copeacabana Club.

Regarding your first point - I mean relatively easy. You're absolutely correct that getting difference makers from the portal is expensive, but at least it's an option. Quality DL rarely go in the portal at all and the ones that do are usually already locked up. Getting good WR from the portal is expensive, while getting good DL is almost impossible.

I'll admit that Mills looks good. I'm not worried about the OL as much as other rooms because Flood has a knack for development and knows what he wants in a recruit. If we're getting Floods OKGs then it's probably fine. Plus we have a lot of young talent in that room. I'm just curious about why the situation looks the way that it does, but others have shed some light on the subject.

I'm still from Missouri on Williams. We'll see. Like I said, hard to be negative about landing a 5-star recruit but I'm willing to try.

I'm not sure what you mean by "strawman" wrt to DT recruiting. People have been telling me for months that I'm pissing my pants over nothing. At any rate, I enjoy the discussion surrounding recruiting and to the extent that manufacturing a disagreement leads to that, whatever. I'm not losing sleep over it. And it's a slow day at work and I'm waiting on edits from a client. I got nothing to do but yell at clouds.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This guy makes satya look like not a pussy.

I really appreciate you disagreeing with me. I sometimes worry that I'm being a fucking idiot, and having you on the other side of an argument helps dispel that sentiment.  

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Here's more for everyone's consideration around the notions of development and evaluation. 

Michigan's recruiting classes ranked by OTF from 2018-2023 (this is the reasonable period in which a player could be expected to have contributed to the Michigan title run in 2023):

2018 - 28

2019 - 7

2020 - 10

2021 - 15

2022 - 9

2023 - 18

Now, here's Texas A&M in that same stretch:

2018 - 14

2019 - 4

2020 - 6

2021 - 8

2022 - 1

2023 - 15

Now, where does the evaluation value end and the development value begin? I don't know. Either Michigan just evaluated better than damned near everyone else, including the gurus, or they developed better than everyone else, or both. I lean more towards development but would give it a 40/60 split in my head. They kicked ass either way. 

Measured against that, ATM is probably the biggest failure at evaluation, development or both in the entire country among the P4 schools. Elko was there for 4 years of that and I'll argue evidence of his failures at one or both are clear in looking at the draft results. Jaylon Jones and Demarvion Leal were 5 star recruits who were not drafted to that pedigree. Those are guys actually drafted from their defense following these periods, which is saying something for ATM. A lot of their highly ranked guys flatly bombed. 

So, do we have justification to trust the coaches? Or should we worry about ATM-esque results? I think at most places outside of DB, you're okay leaning towards trusting the coaches right now.

I read a blurb just yesterday that said that LT Overton has been looking great in fall practice for Bama. Found that pretty funny.

19 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I'll make it as simple as I can because apparently I'm not explaining myself. That's on me.

I want us to take a bunch of the money we're spending on WR recruiting on drop it in some DTs' laps.

You should recruit all positions, but the staff seems to value WR to the detriment of other positions. The money, time, and attention we can lavish on recruits is a pie, and if we cut a bigger slice for one room then there's less pie left over for other rooms. DTs are fat and they like a lot of pie. We need to allocate more of it to their recruitments if we want to pull in the top prospects. 

So, to the extent the allocation of recruiting resources is a zero-sum game, I would rather us focus on DT more than WR. But that is not the same thing as saying "we should stop recruiting WR altogether" which would obviously be regarded.

Just as an aside. I have always argued that recruiting rankings should look at composition of a class and not just the collection of stars. In theory you could get a #1 class just signing 5 star offensive skill players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Regarding your first point - I mean relatively easy. You're absolutely correct that getting difference makers from the portal is expensive, but at least it's an option. Quality DL rarely go in the portal at all and the ones that do are usually already locked up. Getting good WR from the portal is expensive, while getting good DL is almost impossible.

I'll admit that Mills looks good. I'm not worried about the OL as much as other rooms because Flood has a knack for development and knows what he wants in a recruit. If we're getting Floods OKGs then it's probably fine. Plus we have a lot of young talent in that room. I'm just curious about why the situation looks the way that it does, but others have shed some light on the subject.

I'm still from Missouri on Williams. We'll see. Like I said, hard to be negative about landing a 5-star recruit but I'm willing to try.

I'm not sure what you mean by "strawman" wrt to DT recruiting. People have been telling me for months that I'm pissing my pants over nothing. At any rate, I enjoy the discussion surrounding recruiting and to the extent that manufacturing a disagreement leads to that, whatever. I'm not losing sleep over it. And it's a slow day at work and I'm waiting on edits from a client. I got nothing to do but yell at clouds.

I really appreciate you disagreeing with me. I sometimes worry that I'm being a fucking idiot, and having you on the other side of an argument helps dispel that sentiment.  

I'll go on record as being pretty surprised that they brought in THREE top transfer WR this past cycle. Seems like two would have been plenty. We've got a lot of resources committed and a lot of mouths to feed now. The flip side is that they didn't know yet what they had with Wingo and my conspiracy theory based on nothing is that Moore was a quiet transfer risk for a while. Also, Sark just really fucking loves wide receivers.

Like I hinted at in my last post, I'm kind of wondering if "bad motherfuckers at EDGE, steady stream of warm (big) bodies at DT" is a conscious choice they're making. In the NFL, I'm a Cowboys fan, and they appear to be trying a very similar strategy this season. Say what you will about the Cowboys but Mike Zimmer is no idiot when it comes to defense.

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 1

I really hate how the recruiting services started calling all DEs “Edges”, because now this board uses DT and DL interchangeably. We have a problem specifically with DTs, not DL. There isn’t a team in the country with a better pair of DE commits than us with Lance Jackson and Orogbo.

• Hook 'Em 6

35 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

People say "it's only August" but I look at teams like Georgia and OSU who already have a full boat and don't understand why our fans don't expect the same thing. Or, even if not a full boat, I'd like to at least have some irons in the fire to be excited about. 

Sark has signed guys in December who seemed “off the board” in August each year he has been here. I think that’s driving this sentiment. Losing out on DT and DB recruits is concerning, but based on the last few cycles it is also reasonable to wait and see what happens without getting too anxious.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Here's more for everyone's consideration around the notions of development and evaluation. 

Michigan's recruiting classes ranked by OTF from 2018-2023 (this is the reasonable period in which a player could be expected to have contributed to the Michigan title run in 2023):

2018 - 28

2019 - 7

2020 - 10

2021 - 15

2022 - 9

2023 - 18

Now, here's Texas A&M in that same stretch:

2018 - 14

2019 - 4

2020 - 6

2021 - 8

2022 - 1

2023 - 15

Now, where does the evaluation value end and the development value begin? I don't know. Either Michigan just evaluated better than damned near everyone else, including the gurus, or they developed better than everyone else, or both. I lean more towards development but would give it a 40/60 split in my head. They kicked ass either way. 

Measured against that, ATM is probably the biggest failure at evaluation, development or both in the entire country among the P4 schools. Elko was there for 4 years of that and I'll argue evidence of his failures at one or both are clear in looking at the draft results. Jaylon Jones and Demarvion Leal were 5 star recruits who were not drafted to that pedigree. Those are guys actually drafted from their defense following these periods, which is saying something for ATM. A lot of their highly ranked guys flatly bombed. 

So, do we have justification to trust the coaches? Or should we worry about ATM-esque results? I think at most places outside of DB, you're okay leaning towards trusting the coaches right now.

As someone who has followed Michigan’s recruiting more than most on this site, I’d add a couple of factors in their roster/recruiting success: 1. Churn - Feels like Michigan processes the bottom of its classes faster than most. Actual school standards and weather probably help in this regard. 2. Recruiting northern athletes - These guys tend to be under ranked other than the occasional athletic freak for 5 star distribution purposes. The depth of ready made talent isn’t as great as in the south, so competition is a constant knock, but based on population, they should have some undervalued athletes that can be coached up. I think this is part of what makes their development appear to be such an outlier. Also, the recruiting analysts themselves seem to suck up north (the ones actually ranking people). Guys like Gerry make trips to Florida to see guys, not New Jersey. The guys beating the bushes up north are EJ Holland.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 9

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'll go on record as being pretty surprised that they brought in THREE top transfer WR this past cycle. Seems like two would have been plenty. We've got a lot of resources committed and a lot of mouths to feed now. The flip side is that they didn't know yet what they had with Wingo and my conspiracy theory based on nothing is that Moore was a quiet transfer risk for a while. Also, Sark just really fucking loves wide receivers.

Like I hinted at in my last post, I'm kind of wondering if "bad motherfuckers at EDGE, steady stream of warm (big) bodies at DT" is a conscious choice they're making. In the NFL, I'm a Cowboys fan, and they appear to be trying a very similar strategy this season. Say what you will about the Cowboys but Mike Zimmer is no idiot when it comes to defense.

This trend in the NFL is pretty well established with money ball being played in front offices. Marginal cost above marginal utility is the name of the game with NFL getting to the point of 25% of the roster eating 75% of the cap space and the other 75% of the roster being burned and turned on cheap contracts and rookie deals. It only makes sense that NIL will start resemble this in college football from both and recruiting and transfer portal acquisitions.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

As someone who has followed Michigan’s recruiting more than most on this site, I’d add a couple of factors in their roster/recruiting success: 1. Churn - Feels like Michigan processes the bottom of its classes faster than most. Actual school standards and weather probably help in this regard. 2. Recruiting northern athletes - These guys tend to be under ranked other than the occasional athletic freak for 5 star distribution purposes. The depth of ready made talent isn’t as great as in the south, so competition is a constant knock, but based on population, they should have some undervalued athletes that can be coached up. I think this is part of what makes their development appear to be such an outlier. Also, the recruiting analysts themselves seem to suck up north (the ones actually ranking people). Guys like Gerry makes trips to Florida to see guys, not New Jersey. The guys beating the bushes up north are EJ Holland.

I think some of it is also Michigan is a LOS team. Those are toughest evaluations for recruiting services. Mid-West is plentiful in OL. More I follow this stuff, the more I believe that mental evaluation is one of the biggest factors for big kids. You have your freaks but finding a kid who will maximize goes a long way. 

Im around a good amount of LSU people between family and friends. They arent delusional retards like a&m. They hate Texas for very practical reasons. We are taking their shit. They're gonna have to buy extra tampons because the flow is gonna be heavy from here on out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just as an aside. I have always argued that recruiting rankings should look at composition of a class and not just the collection of stars. In theory you could get a #1 class just signing 5 star offensive skill players. 

Tom Herman and Ryan Day want to fight you. 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

For the record, when people talk about getting someone from the portal, they aren't only talking about dudes that enter without having any idea where they'd like to go. Getting someone "from the portal" just means getting a player from another school. Not that we would ever tamper or anything. That would be absurd, and I'll hear none of it.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Sark has signed guys in December who seemed “off the board” in August each year he has been here. I think that’s driving this sentiment. Losing out on DT and DB recruits is concerning, but based on the last few cycles it is also reasonable to wait and see what happens without getting too anxious.

Bobby or Gerry mentioned on the podcast that if we get the guys this weekend that we are likely to get, we have 19 players which is similar (or even ahead?) of our position last year. It’s not unreasonable to assume the Never-Give-Up-Starfucker mentality that Banks and Sark have will result in some late flips with our NIL efforts. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

Im around a good amount of LSU people between family and friends. They arent delusional retards like a&m. They hate Texas for very practical reasons. We are taking their shit. They're gonna have to buy extra tampons because the flow is gonna be heavy from here on out. 

Taking their shit? I'm sorry, but fuck that. They can't be upset that Texas kids are going to Texas. We might grab a guy or two from Louisiana occasionally, but they take way more kids from Texas than we take from LA. 

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Your overall point stands, but it was really 2 top-level guys, at least based on hype. Bond and Golden were the headliners, but some people here and other places were wondering what Silas Bolden was even doing coming to Texas. He was ranked outside the top 100 in the portal rankings for both 247 and On3. When it was hinted in the spring that a transfer may be portaling back out many people tried to guess Bolden.

I have a feeling we are going to be pretty damn happy we brought him in.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Bobby or Gerry mentioned on the podcast that if we get the guys this weekend that we are likely to get, we have 19 players which is similar (or even ahead?) of our position last year. It’s not unreasonable to assume the Never-Give-Up-Starfucker mentality that Banks and Sark have will result in some late flips with our NIL efforts. 

They're not wrong, but it also depends on the kid and on context. Some of the big, late flips in the '22 class were because of coaching changes. I don't think we can depend on that this season. When Hill committed to A&M in '23, I was still optimistic about our chances - the Aggies are a shitshow and I just didn't see them hanging on to a prospect wasn't a complete fucking moron. Are those kinds of shifts going to happen again this season? Do we want to bank on LSU or Oregon tripping at the finish line?

My point isn't that you or anyone else is wrong when they say that there is still a lot of time until signing day and that Sark has been good at closing late in the game. Those are reasons for optimism. But I don't think that means there isn't any cause for concern either. It seems inarguable that it is better to have a guy committed to Texas at the start of the season than committed elsewhere - it's easier to hold onto guys than it is to flip them. 

I don't have any facts to back this up, but it also seems like NIL has reduced the amount of late season craziness. I don't know if they're signing contracts or it's just "a bird in the hand," but prospects feel like they're more locked into their commitments over the last few cycles. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

... some people here and other places were wondering what Silas Bolden was even doing coming to Texas. He was ranked outside the top 100 in the portal rankings for both 247 and On3. When it was hinted in the spring that a transfer may be portaling back out many people tried to guess Bolden.

I have a feeling we are going to be pretty damn happy we brought him in.

247Sports' Preseason All-Transfer Team for 2024

ON THE TEAM, FROM TEXAS

WR: SILAS BOLDEN, TEXAS

The Texas receiving corps is going to feature many new faces this fall, but Silas Bolden is the newcomer who has made the biggest waves in fall camp. The diminutive 5-foot-8, 160-pounder from Oregon State did not arrive on campus in Austin until late May, but he has quickly won over his coaches and teammates. Bolden, who caught 54 passes for 746 yards and accounted for eight touchdowns last season, could be headed for a career year in Steve Sarkisian's prolific offense.

EDGE: TREY MOORE, TEXAS
Texas lost some key pieces on the interior defensive line, but they solidified things out on the edge with the addition of one of the nation's most productive pass rushers in Trey Moore. The UTSA transfer relocated from San Antonio to Austin after racking up 35 tackles for loss and 22 sacks over the last two seasons with the Roadrunners, earning AAC Defensive Player of the Year and All-AAC First Team honors in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Taking their shit? I'm sorry, but fuck that. They can't be upset that Texas kids are going to Texas. We might grab a guy or two from Louisiana occasionally, but they take way more kids from Texas than we take from LA. 

Theres multiple recruitments we have won over them because we are in the SEC now. Otherwise we dont get them, like Simmons. They're mad they dont have that advantage anymore. 

38 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Texas population is what, 6-7 times that of Louisiana? I would expect them to take a lot more from Texas than we get from Louisiana just by the numbers.

But quality > quantity.

USATSI_21967831.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

3 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

All of you negging him are fucking retarded. This is legitimate conversation material. The house is not burning down. That isnt his point. There are still legit concerns in the recruting class if you want to compete and at the same time, yes there is time. You can fucking look at a situation and think critically and see room for improvement while also realizing the world is still going to turn.

Any of you ever been in sales and been one deal away from your goal and freaking out and then had something pop up out of nowhere and then on a beach a week later?

• Hook 'Em 11
  • Fuck You 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't have any facts to back this up, but it also seems like NIL has reduced the amount of late season craziness. I don't know if they're signing contracts or it's just "a bird in the hand," but prospects feel like they're more locked into their commitments over the last few cycles. 

This is either a masterpiece in trolling or a Michael Scott-esque masterpiece in dipshittery. I cannot tell which.