Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Just as an aside. I have always argued that recruiting rankings should look at composition of a class and not just the collection of stars. In theory you could get a #1 class just signing 5 star offensive skill players. 

I don't think any regular on here feels any other way about this. OTF is allegedly going to work towards this approach in their rankings, but it requires some subjectivity. So does the other shit, is my point. 

I've spoken on this for multiple cycles in regard to Ohio State. They're never not in the top 5 of the rankings. Awesome. Then go look at each class. They flat out short OL recruiting. It's comical. They overstock on WRs and CBs and get tons of credit for doing it. 

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

This trend in the NFL is pretty well established with money ball being played in front offices. Marginal cost above marginal utility is the name of the game with NFL getting to the point of 25% of the roster eating 75% of the cap space and the other 75% of the roster being burned and turned on cheap contracts and rookie deals. It only makes sense that NIL will start resemble this in college football from both and recruiting and transfer portal acquisitions.

While I agree with some of this, I do think a major difference between the league and CFB is the point of view around longevity. 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think any regular on here feels any other way about this. OTF is allegedly going to work towards this approach in their rankings, but it requires some subjectivity. So does the other shit, is my point. 

I've spoken on this for multiple cycles in regard to Ohio State. They're never not in the top 5 of the rankings. Awesome. Then go look at each class. They flat out short OL recruiting. It's comical. They overstock on WRs and CBs and get tons of credit for doing it. 

While I agree with some of this, I do think a major difference between the league and CFB is the point of view around longevity. 

Running backs in particular can change a college football game and are out of eligibility long before their bodies wear down. Quality college quarterbacks are much more readily available than the scarcity they have in the NFL. I see major differences in college and NFL money allocation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Adding Jonah and Ffrench moves us up to #7 (just ahead of aggy) in the 247 composite.  We would also easily have the least amount of commits of the top ten teams.

They’ll then take some random commitment to bump themselves back ahead of us for a little longer. Or if someone does this math soon enough, they’ll take the rando beforehand so we don’t pass them with these two. 

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Adding Jonah and Ffrench moves us up to #7 (just ahead of aggy) in the 247 composite.  We would also easily have the least amount of commits of the top ten teams.

Jonah alone would actually get us to #7. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

I have a source very close to the Kade Phillips situation. Apparently someone who coached Terrance Brooks in HS has been very vocal about the fact that he got worse while at Texas. Raymond is also negative recruiting Joseph by highlighting that he was never a top football prospect growing up, his sport was baseball.

• Rage+1 1

Deets from the Streets ... 

" ... this recruitment is headed for a conclusion and we haven't heard any talk of last-minute maneuvering."

"After checking in with sources over the last 48 hours, everything points to Texas winning out for Williams when he makes his decision."

" ... coach Blake Gideon did remarkable work with Williams in his family over the last several months ..."

image.jpeg.1c0156ec7b28ecdabe413ec8d7a8bdb8.jpeg

Behind the Crystal Ball for five-star Jonah Williams

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

Spoiler

Behind the Crystal Ball for five-star Jonah Williams

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

The top uncommitted player in the country will come off the board Saturday when five-star safety/linebacker Jonah Williams makes his college decision. The five-star prospect from Galveston (Texas) Ball will decide between LSU, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC.

Roughly 24 hours out from the announcement, all is relatively quiet on the front of that recruitment.

From what we've been able to gather, this recruitment is headed for a conclusion and we haven't heard any talk of last-minute maneuvering.

247Sports ranks the 6-foot-3, 203-pounder as the nation's No. 7 overall prospect, No. 1 linebacker and Lone Star State's No. 3 player for the 2025 class.

Earlier in the week, I unloaded on what we were hearing and where this recruitment was entering the finals days. At that time, I acknowledged the foggy nature of the recruitment while taking a look at where it appeared to be hearing.

Two days removed from that report, I'm ready to change my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for the elite defender.

As I mentioned during the previous report, Texas seemed to have all of the momentum over the last month, and it felt like the Longhorns were in a good position to win out.

Texas had been an afterthought for most of the recruitment, but getting Williams on campus in July changed the tone of the recruitment. While checking into this recruitment throughout the week, it was clear that Texas's momentum wasn't slowing down.

All intel from the week points to a two-way battle between Texas and LSU, and that still seems to be the case late in the week. I'm told that conversations are ongoing between Williams and several of the programs involved, but multiple college sources believe that the Longhorns and Tigers stand atop the race.

After checking in with sources over the last 48 hours, everything points to Texas winning out for Williams when he makes his decision.

The Longhorns have been battered on the recruiting trail for major targets like Dakorien Moore, Michael Fasusi and several others, but they've had their sights set on flipping the script in this recruitment and winning one nobody that expected them to.

Texas has a great combination of baseball and football, they've been competitive on the NIL front and Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon did remarkable work with Williams in his family over the last several months, according to several sources we spoke with.

With that in mind, I've flipped my 247Sports Crystal Ball to Texas.

Landing Williams Saturday could reverse the momentum for Texas, where the Longhorns have struggled at times to build a bigger recruiting push. Saturday will be a big one for Texas in general, with two targets making a decision after Top247 Loganville (Ga.) Grayson offensive tackle Nick Brooks committed Friday.

Aside from Williams, Texas is also a finalist for rising Ruston (LA) cornerback Aidan Anding. They are also heavily in the mix for five-star Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin wide receiver Jaime Ffrench who will decide next Friday, Aug. 30.

• Hook 'Em 9

19 minutes ago, Nope said:
  Hide contents

I have a source very close to the Kade Phillips situation. Apparently someone who coached Terrance Brooks in HS has been very vocal about the fact that he got worse while at Texas. Raymond is also negative recruiting Joseph by highlighting that he was never a top football prospect growing up, his sport was baseball.

This is no surprise. 

41 minutes ago, Nope said:
  Hide contents

Why would this matter if Phillips was going to play Safety not CB?

• Hook 'Em 1