Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

15 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Honest question - when was the last time we had an OL flip to DL and have any kind of success? Seems rare. 

Misremembering maybe but frank Okam?

Just checked... nope he was dt recruit.

Edited by Butch Had Not

19 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Honest question - when was the last time we had an OL flip to DL and have any kind of success? Seems rare. 

Not a success but this guy came to mind…

A five-year player who has spent time as both an offensive and defensive lineman, but emerged as a starter at offensive tackle in 2014 before returning to primarily a reserve role in 2015 … moved from offensive line to defensive tackle in the 2013 preseason … switched back to offensive line during the 2014 preseason and found a home.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

You’re conflating ideal position with being able to play a position 

I just want to see improvement this season from the safety position. No more Crawford or Jerrin Thompson, so there should be no excuses. Taafe is older, and he's a smart player, just slow, Williams is a freak, and Mukuba is an A+ addition. Add Gilbeaux at the STAR and Barron moving around between corner and safety, and this secondary has a chance to be special. 

like Gideon. He's an A+ recruiter, but now it's time to prove he can coach the position. 

Terry OTOH, who the fuck knows? So far he's sucked shit, but we'll see what he can do with Holmes adding muscle while retaining speed, as well as knowing where to be. And I'm excited to see Cole get some time. Muhammed is just a natural, just needs to to learn the playbook. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

Don’t see what it has to do with recruiting, but I am ready to run through a brick wall now. 

That shot of Johntay celebrating while the ball is still in the air to X is great. 

The power of Texas when we're locked in plus road whites.  

Robinson was a freak athlete on both sides of the ball, so I'm not sure that really counts. Mack wanted him at o-line, and Bama said he could play D-line (his preferred position), so Saban stuck his dick in Mack's mouth and told him to suck it. Mack's fall from grace after that was when his true colors began to show. He was petty and thin-skinned. 

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

You might be on to something here. Leonard Davis played in 3 or 4 games at DT before moving to OG. 

Usually OL lack the athleticism to play DL. So they stick at OL. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

23 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Says just about everyone who drank too much tequila. 

I swore off brown liquor many years ago, but tequila is a friend of mine and even though it betrays me on occasion, I won't swear it off because it may not be there for me when I need it.

1 hour ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Robinson was a freak athlete on both sides of the ball, so I'm not sure that really counts. Mack wanted him at o-line, and Bama said he could play D-line (his preferred position), so Saban stuck his dick in Mack's mouth and told him to suck it. Mack's fall from grace after that was when his true colors began to show. He was petty and thin-skinned. 

If I remember correctly Bo Davis left for Bama and A'Shawn followed him.

With that said, Mack did not throw money at Bo and let him leave without a fight.

Does that sound accurate?

10 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

I thought Robinson was one with the great story of decommitting from Texas, committing to Bama and calling Bo Davis on NSD while he was still employed at Texas to ask for help filling out his Bama letter of intent? 

Davis ended up at Bama the following year (2014).

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

With that said, Mack did not throw money at Bo and let him leave without a fight.

No, A’Shawn literally called Bo and asked him how to fill out his LOI for Bama while he was at Texas….and Bo was his primary recruiter, so he was always a DL in college, even in regard to Texas. Was he seen as a recruit that could play either? Yes, but he wanted to be recruited on defense and only played defense collegiately.

1 hour ago, Davis Lane said:

Yeah. I think it was a little bit of both. I know Robinson wanted to play D, and Mack was adament that he was a lineman (he could have excelled at both, and some argue he would have been an all-pro guard), and when Bo left it was an easy decision for him. 

That one really stung. Worse than Perilloux flipping. I kinda checked out after that seeing Mack declining anyway, but damn that flip hurt. Saban is a witch. And then Saban broke my heart again when flipped Jam Miller from us. Dark days. 

19 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Just my opinion, but I think people get way too granular on this shit. Most of these OL are need of major body reshaping. Cam Williams and Nick Brooks are examples. They both needed to lose at least 20-30 pounds of baby fat and add 10 pounds of muscle. Can Williams was 380 as a prospect. This year he is listed at 335. I will bet he moves a lot better this season, compared his HS senior tape. Outside of reshaping their bodies, you don’t need an NFL LT to be successful at LT in college. Connor Williams was a stud at LT for Texas and at no point did the NFL GMs ever consider him a tackle. Lot of these “he is a RT” comments are about their ultimate upside in the NFL, not college 

My favorite was a few years ago the "centers can't be left handed" argument about OL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Yeah. I think it was a little bit of both. I know Robinson wanted to play D, and Mack was adament that he was a lineman (he could have excelled at both, and some argue he would have been an all-pro guard), and when Bo left it was an easy decision for him. 

That one really stung. Worse than Perilloux flipping. I kinda checked out after that seeing Mack declining anyway, but damn that flip hurt. Saban is a witch. And then Saban broke my heart again when flipped Jam Miller from us. Dark days. 

He flipped prior to Davis taking the job. Was also never recruited as an OL just saw the writing on the wall at the time and picked the better program for and coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Seeing the position flop from defense/offense conversation above, I’m reminded of Caleb Bluiett, the poor kid probably had no idea what position he was playing on any given day. He went from DE to TE multiple times, sometimes in the same season. 

OJ McClintock 

• Like 1

I remember exactly where I was the day it was announced that Tillman Holloway was going from DT to OL. It felt like the ground shook beneath my feet. 

Who doesn’t recall, albeit bathed with sepia-toned nostalgia, what they were doing the day Will Goodloe was moved to work on the OL?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember exactly where I was the day it was announced that Tillman Holloway was going from DT to OL. It felt like the ground shook beneath my feet. 

Who doesn’t recall, albeit bathed with sepia-toned nostalgia, what they were doing the day Will Goodloe was moved to work on the OL?

It seems like the days of switching guys to different positions because they are buried on the depth chart are long gone. Pretty early on in their careers they enter the portal and learn their true value.

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought Robinson was one with the great story of decommitting from Texas, committing to Bama and calling Bo Davis on NSD while he was still employed at Texas to ask for help filling out his Bama letter of intent? 

That was him.

14 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I just want to see improvement this season from the safety position. No more Crawford or Jerrin Thompson, so there should be no excuses. Taafe is older, and he's a smart player, just slow, Williams is a freak, and Mukuba is an A+ addition. Add Gilbeaux at the STAR and Barron moving around between corner and safety, and this secondary has a chance to be special. 

like Gideon. He's an A+ recruiter, but now it's time to prove he can coach the position. 

Terry OTOH, who the fuck knows? So far he's sucked shit, but we'll see what he can do with Holmes adding muscle while retaining speed, as well as knowing where to be. And I'm excited to see Cole get some time. Muhammed is just a natural, just needs to to learn the playbook. 

the taafe being slow trope is really weird to me lol. Is it akin to the murphy being a fast qb because he's black? He is definitely small compared to williams or mcdonald but I think his speed is fine. I haven't been able to find a verified 40 time but his field speed is good from what I have seen. 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

the taafe being slow trope is really weird to me lol. Is it akin to the murphy being a fast qb because he's black? He is definitely small compared to williams or mcdonald but I think his speed is fine. I haven't been able to find a verified 40 time but his field speed is good from what I have seen. 

Taffee runs a 4.8

He's slow not because he's white, he's slow because he's slow.

Cooper DeJean is a white but he's not slow.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I hosted him for the army all american game in san antonio, he played DL in that game. 

Lot of people thought he might be a better OL, but he wanted to play DT. Campbell is a similar guy on the current roster. People thought he could play DT in college, but OL was his optimal position. He chose wisely

Edited by Codaxx

21 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I think I understand why winning is hard….

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Taffee runs a 4.8

He's slow not because he's white, he's slow because he's slow.

Cooper DeJean is a white but he's not slow.

Is this incorrect?

Name: Michael Taaffe 
College: Texas     Number: 16
Height: 6-0   Weight: 190
Position: FS  Pos2: SS
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2026

40 Low: 4.45
   40 Time: 4.55
  40 High: 4.63

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1094980&DraftYear=2026

• Hook 'Em 1