Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

10 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

If you have to piggyback off of someone’s early evaluations, Matt Rhule is a pretty good choice.

Still, 255lbs is far lighter than the other prospects we’ve been looking at.  Would be interested to see the DL board after all of these offers.

TSRH regarding Matt Rhule evaluations. Apparently, there's pretty good consensus that this guy's frame shows plenty of room for growth. I'm guessing Gerry's been by to actually see him in person and will offer better insights on that than anyone else could.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

Still, 255lbs is far lighter than the other prospects we’ve been looking at.  Would be interested to see the DL board after all of these offers

I think CTJ and others have touched on aspects of this, but team building in an era of NIL is going to be fascinating and one paradigm that might prevail is a stars and scrubs model.  If you can find kids that can be sold on development, look to have untapped physical potential, and are willing to commit to riding the pine for a couple of years then you might be keep and retain them at a relatively low cost, at least until they are playing.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Not saying you should not trust the overall staff's evals.   But sweat is irrelevant to this staff, and the new DL coach has almost no skins on the wall to make that statement.   He isn't Sark with QBs or Flood with OLine.   Hell, he isn't even gideon with safeties.

The larger point, generally speaking, is that OL and DL are harder to evaluate than other positions. It's a numbers game. Cycle enough players through, see who grow into actual players, let some portal out, and keep adding. Some become T'Vondre Sweat, some don't. 

39 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

the new DL coach has almost no skins on the wall to make that statement.   He isn't Sark with QBs or Flood with OLine.   Hell, he isn't even gideon with safeties.

did gideon coach safeties in the NFL?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night.

So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

"That's Herbie Hancock..."

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

"That's Herbie Hancock..."

spacer.png

Man, the Marquette History Department must suck. Hancock was not present at the Constitutional Convention and Jefferson was the Minister to France at the time. Plus, neither appear in Christy's painting Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States. (It is odd that they only used half of the room back then--I'm not sure when that custom changed.)

undefined

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Man, the Marquette History Department must suck. Hancock was not present at the Constitutional Convention and Jefferson was the Minister to France at the time. Plus, neither appear in Christy's painting Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States. (It is odd that they only used half of the room back then--I'm not sure when that custom changed.)

undefined

To save anyone a google search, John Hancock's famous signature was on the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. The "framers" of the Constitution generally refers to the attendees of the Constitutional Convention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

To save anyone a google search, John Hancock's famous signature was on the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. The "framers" of the Constitution generally refers to the attendees of the Constitutional Convention. 

That's nice and all, but I'd like to hear more about cheese and/or chicken fried steak.

46 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

To save anyone a google search, John Hancock's famous signature was on the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. The "framers" of the Constitution generally refers to the attendees of hated that guy and didn't invite him to the Constitutional Convention. 

fify

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

I will never tire of the former crooked athletic depts/fanbases crying over losing a recruit due to $$$.  🤣

The ones that cheated the hardest bitch the loudest. It's pretty satisfying.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The Brian Dohn update re: Boateng, referenced in Tex's post, in the spoilered section below.

- Visiting for the Georgia game

- Already had OVs to USC, ND, Ohio State and Michigan

- Especially considering where we are in this cycle, quite a divergence of opinion on this guy, at least in terms of rankings

image.thumb.png.89f361cafff7551498808ae51b37c381.png

Here's the 247 scouting report.

image.thumb.png.73031a313f6c32898e8a4a8f95762775.png

Blue chip LB Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng has Florida and Texas visits set

Brian Dohn (247 Sports)

Spoiler

Blue chip LB Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng has Florida and Texas visits set

Brian Dohn (247 Sports)

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng continues to map out his visits, and the blue chip linebacker from Bradenton (Fla.) IMG is content to make a few more visits before he decides on a school.

The No. 7 linebacker and No. 70 player in the 2025 class already made official visits to USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan, and he told 247Sports last month visits to Florida and Texas are in the works.

Now, he has dates to see each of those schools.

In fact, Owusu-Boateng said not only will he be at The Swamp for Florida's season opener Saturday against Miami, he is speaking with the Gators about a return trip for an official visit.

Texas was on his radar for a long time, but the discussions intensified in the last few months. A big reason for that is former IMG teammates Jerrick Gibson and Jordan Johnson-Russell are now at Texas.

Owusu-Boateng said he is set for an official visit to Texas for the Oct. 19 game against Georgia. It turns out to be an ideal weekend in which Owusu-Boateng will not have to hurry around because IMG has a bye.

Owusu-Boateng told 247Sports last month his former teammates were keeping him updated with life as a Longhorn.

"Knowing what they are telling me about Texas, and knowing they are in the SEC now, why not play in the SEC?" he said. "It's the best ball."

When discussing key aspects of a decision, what happens on the field will be vital.

"For me, it's going to come down to development," he told 247Sports last month. "It's going to come down to a relationship I have built over the course of time. Those things are big in my decision."

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Here's an update from ND 247, on Madden Faraimo.  Consistent with Wiltfong's update, on the two major points - increasing likelihood of his commitment timeframe moving to after the season, and the current order being ND / Texas, with USC making a "charge".

image.thumb.png.0da96a013536d9f7316ffdaf4757e2ec.png

image.thumb.png.71ecc5830fca15a281cdf1f3802bd792.png

And from Florida 247, on the DL who's visiting, M'Batchou ... lulz. (The note was just a post from M'Batchou that announced his Georgia offer.)

(Note - the guy's from the same GA high school as Nick Brooks is ... )

image.thumb.png.8705d78e1b9af3677b147efd785c7005.png

• Hook 'Em 7

Agree. I think this team is championship caliber. With Quinn leading the charge and all these fast WR's, we could mow through teams (sans Michigan, which will be a rock fight). 

Georgia is struggling worse than we are with their RB depth, and their #1 WR is gone. If we can exploit their defense (entirely plausible) then we will take it to 11. 

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_0035.thumb.jpeg.37fc1827255c06c991a41302a9a7440f.jpeg

11 hours ago, cafe society said:

Our Founding Fathers were some serious Head Hunters.

I was going to say, that guy whispering in Ben Franklin’s ear looks like he’s looking to give Ben head after the meeting.

Posted (edited)

Re: athletes who played both Football and Baseball at Texas

https://texaslonghorns.com/sports/football/roster/nik-sanders/13770

Edit to add: This collection of pictures is actually a little yikes. Go Nik and all but that's got desperate gf written all over it.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247) trying to justify Jaime Ffrench picking Texas tomorrow

--- Jaime Ffrench is set to reveal his choice on Friday and everyone I've spoken to who covers recruiting nationally and with the respective schools in the race feels it will be Texas.

Like with Williams, this feels like another case of Texas and LSU going head-to-head. But unlike Williams, Ffrench does not have the ties to the Lone Star State that will have a strong influence. Those ties are with LSU and Miami, and in the end, I see those two battling it out for his signature when November and December arrive.

"This kid who seems to be actively trying to get away from his family for college, will undoubtedly be choosing between two cities with lots of family on NSD!"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

--- Jaime Ffrench is set to reveal his choice on Friday and everyone I've spoken to who covers recruiting nationally and with the respective schools in the race feels it will be Texas.

Like with Williams, this feels like another case of Texas and LSU going head-to-head. But unlike Williams, Ffrench does not have the ties to the Lone Star State that will have a strong influence. Those ties are with LSU and Miami, and in the end, I see those two battling it out for his signature when November and December arrive.

A source close to the family has strongly implied that Jaime Ffrench is waiting to see who between LSU and Miami plays up to its potential and earns the right to appear in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl. Whoever does may have the inside track for the skilled route-runner.

$9.95, please

please.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=7237b6413c82f3

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Guy on the internet feels something in his gut. More at 9:00!

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That update is unbelievable. That guy is truly fucking clueless.

What's great is after he commits to Texas, he'll still have an out because LSU and Miami likely will still be trying to get his signature come November and December, as predicted. But by then, the fanbase will have moved on and no one will have remembered this asinine prediction. Come to think of it, not a bad strategy in the game of selling bullshit.