Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Pretty sure I’ve seen this explained before, but I can’t remember the specifics. How does On3 do their assignment of 5-stars? Over the last 3 seasons, there were 32, 32, and 31 5-star players. This year, there are only 15. Do they wait until later in the process to assign stars? Or do they just think it’s a down year?

Five-star WR Jaime Ffrench commits to Texas, Recruitment '110% done, Texas all the way.’

Tom Loy (247 Sports)

Spoiler

Five-star WR Jaime Ffrench commits to Texas, Recruitment '110% done, Texas all the way.’

Tom Loy (247 Sports)

Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin five-star receiver Jaime Ffrench has committed to Texas. The 6-1, 185-pounder, who is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 25 overall player in the country and No. 4 receiver nationally, announced his pledge to the Longhorns live on the 247Sports YouTube Channel. The one-time Alabama commit is now completely locked in with Texas and he couldn't be happier.

Texas beat Tennessee, Miami, LSU, Ohio State, and many others to land Ffrench. Led by head coach Steve Sarkisian and receivers coach Chris Jackson, the Longhorns secured the pledge of a future early enrollee at Texas. On his mother's birthday, Ffrench decided now was the time to share the great news with the world.

So, what went into his decision? Ahead of his public commitment, Ffrench spoke in-depth about his pledge to Texas, why he found a home in Austin, and whether or not his recruitment is officially shut down.

On his decision to commit to Texas: "So, I committed during my official visit on June 22. We were there on the OV with Kaliq Lockett and KJ Lacey. We were just seeing what it could be. I always had a good feeling about Texas. Then, just getting up there for the OV, that's why I had them as my last visit. But I had my mind kind of made up for sure."

On the moment he committed to head coach Steve Sarkisian: "The commitment was during my exit meeting at the hotel. That's when I told him. He was pumped. He was very pumped. He couldn't believe it at first. He thought he had to recruit me more, but he didn't realize he had me sold by then."

On his relationship with receivers coach Chris Jackson: "With him being in the league so long, I don't think I have to worry about him running to the league. That's the big thing these days. More than anything, he comes from a father-figure approach. He focused on how he can take care of me on and off the field."

On his mother's feelings on him picking Texas: "She is very confident on Texas. She was sold before me. That gave me a great feeling about them. They stayed in her ear. They made sure she is great. That meant a lot to me."

On if his recruitment is completely over: "Oh yeah, it's 110% done, Texas all the way. No more visits. Only visits are to Texas."

Scouting Report via 247Sports Director of Scouting Andrew Ivins: Well-rounded wide receiver with the traits and ball skills to work all three levels and emerge as a trusted option in any style of passing attack. Owns good size and somehow plays bigger than he measures as he's rarely disturbed by press and frequently the one in control at the catch point. Blessed with larger hands that are almost automatic when he's open, although he has fallen victim to a few concentration drops over the years. Might lack a true turbo, but can create separation by varying speeds as he gets vertical and has the initial burst to get away from the first defender. Impressive play strength also allows him to power through would-be tacklers and steal yardage. Has proven to be extremely effective in the red zone both in pads and on the camp circuit as he's quick to plant and turn on both stop routes and back-shoulder fades. Overall, should be viewed as an advanced pass catcher that is rather polished for his age. Has experience lining up on both the inside and the outside and could likely do the same thing on Saturdays and potentially even Sundays if he keeps progressing. Projects as a potential multi-year impact player at the Power Four level that can handle a high volume of targets and more importantly, score touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Getafix said:

With these guys, it's a refrain.

image.thumb.png.2510c89def7b80c0aed14296c3c93bbc.png

image.thumb.png.90c34de9946809d81fbe54292251a46d.png

Ffrench- I committed in June. It’s all Texas nothing else. Future visits will be Texas only. 

lsu   We are still gonna expend limited resources on him 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So what's the rest of this class look like? Terry, another DT or two, and maybe a couple of DBs?

Think we’re also still chasing that CA LB Madden Faraimo. Not sure of our chances there.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Those Miami fans actually seem alright. Much less annoying/dumb/stupid than most. 

I'd argue there's no school in the country whose reputation has been more negatively affected by sports than the University of Miami.  It's a fine school, on par with Pitt, GWU, and Syracuse (and ranked above Tulane, Rutgers, and Colorado School of Mines) but the general demeanor of the football team over the last few decades has most people thinking its a typical southeast party school.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

The other dt has a girlfriend who got in to lsu. It is undefeated after all

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

She sounds dumb.

image.thumb.png.ee34194e56780eaca45b12f88bdbb04f.png

Yay?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry has been talking about a DT we're hot after that's committed elsewhere. He won't say a name or anything....

I'd assume it's Charles. There's a lot of smoke there - especially with Sharma flipping and FSU looking less than stellar.

• Hook 'Em 3