Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Pretty sure I’ve seen this explained before, but I can’t remember the specifics. How does On3 do their assignment of 5-stars? Over the last 3 seasons, there were 32, 32, and 31 5-star players. This year, there are only 15. Do they wait until later in the process to assign stars? Or do they just think it’s a down year?

They start off with a smaller number of 5-star and expand the list closer to signing day.

I actually think it's solid reasoning. There are always going to be a handful of guys who are no-doubt 5-stars but once you get past the obvious 10-15, having senior film available is helpful in figuring out the last handful of spots.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So what's the rest of this class look like? Terry, another DT or two, and maybe a couple of DBs?

I'd say we're officially done at QB, RB, TE, and IOL.

At OT, I'm hoping they stay on Fasusi and Rogers but we haven't seen much smoke there. They may be content. My guess is they'd take a WR that they feel can contribute if he falls into their lap, but they won't actively pursue anyone other than Moore.

Definitely at least 1 more DT, hopefully 2. Seems like they'd take another EDGE if it's the right guy (Hilson). They want Faraimo but the question is do they pursue another LB if he pick Notre Dame. Maybe the other California guy if USC implodes?

DB is a fucking mess and I have no idea. We've all been pearl clutching about DT, but I think DB is actually a bigger problem right now. Especially if Williams is a LB long term.

And Terry, who supposedly will start at WR but I kinda don't buy that long term.

• 2 DT
  • 1 EDGE
  • 3 DB
  • Terry

That puts us at 26. Add Faraimo, Moore, or an OT if one of them wants to come. Subtract a DB if they just say fuck it we'll use the portal.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry has been talking about a DT we're hot after that's committed elsewhere. He won't say a name or anything....

My guess is this guy. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:01 AM, Hookem2147 said:

New DT on the radar (Justin Wells)

Malcolm Simpson, DL, Hitchcock (Texas) – 2025 Nebraska commit

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound four-star and the No. 18 defensive lineman according to On3, is pledged to the Nebraska Cornhuskers. But the Longhorns have their eyes on a flip.

Texas DT coach Kenny Baker has recently connected with Simpson, who previously was at Galveston Ball with UT commit Jonah Williams. Now, the 409 area prospect says he’s open to a trip to Austin.

“I’m solid with Nebraska, but I love Texas,” Simpson told Inside Texas. “I would love to come up to a visit and watch a game, and check some things out.”

Simpson holds offers from USC, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, USC, and Baylor. But a Texas offer might change everything.

“I honestly just spoke with them,” said Simpson. “(Baker) just told me keep doing what I’m doing and keep putting in work to get bigger. They all seem like real stand up guys and coaches.”

His combination of size and athleticism is noticeable, as the multi-sport prospect notched 58 tackles, 16 tackles for loss, seven sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, and one safety over the last two seasons.

Simpson is the No. 265 overall prospect in the 2025 class, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the country’s No. 24 defensive lineman and the No. 37 recruit in the Lone Star State.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My guess is this guy. 

https://www.on3.com/db/malcolm-simpson-176167/

Would absolutely love to have him, but there's a lot of projection with Simpson. He's currently listed at 6'4, 245 and the assumption is that he gets big with college s&c when he stops playing basketball. If we do flip him, I'd hope for an additional inside DL without as much projection. Simpson may end up at SDE

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I'd argue there's no school in the country whose reputation has been more negatively affected by sports than the University of Miami.  It's a fine school, on par with Pitt, GWU, and Syracuse (and ranked above Tulane, Rutgers, and Colorado School of Mines) but the general demeanor of the football team over the last few decades has most people thinking its a typical southeast party school.

To reiterate your point, some dipshit on the this board compared it to Cougar High. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

So- if this ends with:

Terry, Charles, CA LB, Flip of a DT from Ark, Flip of a DT from Neb we are pretty good, right?

That would leave us looking for a couple running backs (1 year types), Corner, safety, 2 or 3 DT's in the portal right?  We should be set at QB, WR, OL, TE and Edge coming out of this season and with this class, right?  I think I'd probably also prioritize a transfer PK in the portal.  Seems smarter than a high school PK. 

11 minutes ago, diisles said:

My son finally moved out the house and I have disposable income now... apparently my idea of living is posting on a cfb message board.

Sounds like the insurance biz is treatin' you well.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

positive:  we give out cookies

negative:  oatmeal raisin only!

positive: women romancing each other

negative: these women are sourced from local carnivals and mental wards

positive: great NIL opportunities

negatives:  all NIL $ can be traced back to conflict diamonds and human trafficking 

Please don't disrespect @troph and @Nicole44

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I'd say we're officially done at QB, RB, TE, and IOL.

At OT, I'm hoping they stay on Fasusi and Rogers but we haven't seen much smoke there. They may be content. My guess is they'd take a WR that they feel can contribute if he falls into their lap, but they won't actively pursue anyone other than Moore.

Definitely at least 1 more DT, hopefully 2. Seems like they'd take another EDGE if it's the right guy (Hilson). They want Faraimo but the question is do they pursue another LB if he pick Notre Dame. Maybe the other California guy if USC implodes?

DB is a fucking mess and I have no idea. We've all been pearl clutching about DT, but I think DB is actually a bigger problem right now. Especially if Williams is a LB long term.

And Terry, who supposedly will start at WR but I kinda don't buy that long term.

• 2 DT
  • 1 EDGE
  • 3 DB
  • Terry

That puts us at 26. Add Faraimo, Moore, or an OT if one of them wants to come. Subtract a DB if they just say fuck it we'll use the portal.

I’d be really surprised by another DE/Edge. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

My guess is this guy. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Would absolutely love to have him, but there's a lot of projection with Simpson. He's currently listed at 6'4, 245 and the assumption is that he gets big with college s&c when he stops playing basketball. If we do flip him, I'd hope for an additional inside DL without as much projection. Simpson may end up at SDE

Gerry’s commented publicly about Texas having interest here. I’m guessing he’s talking about someone else if he’s acting secretive about it. I don’t know if he is, but the original poster’s framing of it made it seem that way. 

There is a lot of hair on the Simpson recruitment. I’m interested in seeing how serious Texas is with him. Whoever lands him is going to have to really want to get him into school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Well, hey, then DT recruiting might be looking up.

With on field success, Texas will pull a legit DT class.

It seems like Baker is billed as a developmental guy, so I'm good with pulling some OKG / development types. I don't need blue chips, but 3 or even 4 dudes with potential would be nice. Shwarma is nice to have and maybe flip the Arkansas kid, plus a couple more with upside? That should be solid. I'm not going to jinx it by getting my hopes up about the FSU commit, but he would be an outstanding addition. 

1 hour ago, diisles said:

What does Texas do differently from other tier 1 programs in recruiting, both positive and negative?

new-guy.gif

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

A 6’4 human with a big frame will gain weight in a college S&C program. That’s a pretty safe assumption. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, diisles said:

My son finally moved out the house and I have disposable income now... apparently my idea of living is posting on a cfb message board.

Graduated high finally at 37? Accepted at aggy, I'm guessing.