Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is very grunting

Bobby Burton

There are only two recruits in the class of 2025 who are currently uncommitted that Texas continues to pursue: San Antonio Alamo Heights athlete Michael Terry and linebacker Madden Faraimo from Southern California.

The rest are all currently committed elsewhere.

So let’s talk about “the rest” for a second…

Just three weeks ago, Texas had solid recruiting momentum, the snowball was definitely rolling downhill but it wasn’t overwhelming.

But right now, I’m here to tell everyone that that snowball has become an absolute avalanche behind the scenes.

Recruits are calling Texas, including a couple of national prospects on no one’s radar. Recruits are initiating contact just as much as Texas is doing the same.

The conversations with previously targeted elite prospects, those committed elsewhere, are becoming longer and more productive. Visits, official and unofficial, are being set.

And it’s not just in the class of 2025.

Going on the road and beating Alabama and Michigan in back to back years, having a true Heisman candidate, making the college football playoff then coming back and being ranked No. 2 in the country, 11 NFL draft picks, NIL engagement, Sark and his recruiting staff’s style, those things are all contributing to this avalanche.

I’ve seen this sort of momentum before, and not just at Texas. Remember, I’ve been covering recruiting for 30+ years professionally, so I’ve seen runs by other teams like Florida State (1990s), USC (2000s), Bama (2010s) and Georgia (2020s) during that time frame. Texas is absolutely headed in that same direction.

The flood gates are about to open. That’s the feeling I get. There is no hotter team or program in college football than the Texas Longhorns.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

wonder if Brew, Offerman are maybe some of the types of players that have reached out to maybe make a visit this fall?? 

Just early speculation, but it maybe feels like Brew, Rogers/Haywood (perhaps?), and Pettijohn.  I also wonder if Cobey Sellers could be one.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I hope it's the Mathis kid. Holy shit his tape is bad ass. 

If national committed kids are calling Texas, I just hope it is a couple of the top 10 CBs. That is one part of the class that has not been addressed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

If national committed kids are calling Texas, I just hope it is a couple of the top 10 CBs. That is one part of the class that has not been addressed. 

Absolutely agree. I'm just so hyper focused on the DL since it looked like we would whiff since Baker hasn't really gotten to know any of the kids, and I just assumed we would land DB'S. So far Joseph is a liability this season as a recruiter. Gideon seems to have his head on straight and has landed two 5* safeties in Filsame and now Williams. But yeah, having only Chester is a huge bummer. 

13 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Absolutely agree. I'm just so hyper focused on the DL since it looked like we would whiff since Baker hasn't really gotten to know any of the kids, and I just assumed we would land DB'S. So far Joseph is a liability this season as a recruiter. Gideon seems to have his head on straight and has landed two 5* safeties in Filsame and now Williams. But yeah, having only Chester is a huge bummer. 

Joseph did land Black last season.  Let's see if he can grab another quality CB this season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I think Chester is going to be a player and will likely get a big bump during the season. Even if the bump doesn't come, he is still very good and a very very smart football player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is very grunting

Bobby Burton

There are only two recruits in the class of 2025 who are currently uncommitted that Texas continues to pursue: San Antonio Alamo Heights athlete Michael Terry and linebacker Madden Faraimo from Southern California.

Just three weeks ago, Texas had solid recruiting momentum, the snowball was definitely rolling downhill but it wasn’t overwhelming.

But right now, I’m here to tell everyone that that snowball has become an absolute avalanche behind the scenes.

Recruits are calling Texas, including a couple of national prospects on no one’s radar. Recruits are initiating contact just as much as Texas is doing the same.

The conversations with previously targeted elite prospects, those committed elsewhere, are becoming longer and more productive. Visits, official and unofficial, are being set.

Going on the road and beating Alabama and Michigan in back to back years, having a true Heisman candidate, making the college football playoff then coming back and being ranked No. 2 in the country, 11 NFL draft picks, NIL engagement, Sark and his recruiting staff’s style, those things are all contributing to this avalanche.

I’ve seen this sort of momentum before, and not just at Texas. Remember, I’ve been covering recruiting for 30+ years professionally, so I’ve seen runs by other teams like Florida State (1990s), USC (2000s), Bama (2010s) and Georgia (2020s) during that time frame. Texas is absolutely headed in that same direction.

The flood gates are about to open. That’s the feeling I get. There is no hotter team or program in college football than the Texas Longhorns.

200.gif

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is very grunting

Bobby Burton

Put it straight into my fucking veins 

Although to be a little bit of a wet blanket, national recruits with no prior connection cold calling the coaches are almost never truly serious. Sounds like NIL agents doing their due diligence. 

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Put it straight into my fucking veins 

Although to be a little bit of a wet blanket, national recruits with no prior connection cold calling the coaches are almost never truly serious. Sounds like NIL agents doing their due diligence. 

Burton absolutely could be misreading it, but agents calling about NIL doesn’t open the floodgates.

Edited by Doc Daneeka

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is very grunting

Bobby Burton

While this is certainly gruntling, wouldn't that mean that Burton's stating Texas isn't recruiting Javion Hilson? Didn't he just say he's going to visit?

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I saw yesterday on an IT livestream that Brandon brown is a hard no, he's gonna follow Bo no matter what, but Zion Williams still talks to the Texas staff everyday and while he said he's solid to LSU, he's paying attention to their current team and players and is gonna come for a game during the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

While this is certainly gruntling, wouldn't that mean that Burton's stating Texas isn't recruiting Javion Hilson? Didn't he just say he's going to visit?

He probably meant that haven’t made an initial decision. He has previously committed to both Bama and FSU and probably just omitted accidentally but something they might have learned since the weekend maybe? Fong already believes it’s Texas.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I saw yesterday on an IT livestream that Brandon brown is a hard no, he's gonna follow Bo no matter what, but Zion Williams still talks to the Texas staff everyday and while he said he's solid to LSU, he's paying attention to their current team and players and is gonna come for a game during the season.

Zion Williams will go where what is undefeated takes him. 

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is recruiting Hilson. 

Zion Williams isn’t close to the top of the board. They’re now thinking they might take 5 guys and I still don’t know if he’d be a first choice as the fifth guy. 

Bell, Mbatchou, Sims, Mathis. The usual suspects?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There are several shocking things that they’re hoping to pull off. Hopefully certain fatasses and gasbags with gambling problems can either be kept in the dark or just keep their fat fucking mouths shut. 

hey, leave me out of this!

Suchomel on Zelus Hicks

Spoiler

2026 safety Zelus Hicks tells me he’ll announce his decision tomorrow at 2 p.m.

Lots of Auburn chatter in this one (he visited there in late July) but I’m not ruling Texas out in this one. Hicks has visited UT a couple of times, always speaks very highly of Texas and has family in the state (he’s even mentioned that his parents might mine to Texas when he goes off to college).

We mentioned this a while ago, but there’s also been some talk of Hicks reclassifying to the 2025 class.

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Suchomel on Zelus Hicks

Hide contents

Lots of Auburn chatter in this one (he visited there in late July) but I’m not ruling Texas out in this one. Hicks has visited UT a couple of times, always speaks very highly of Texas and has family in the state (he’s even mentioned that his parents might mine to Texas when he goes off to college).

We mentioned this a while ago, but there’s also been some talk of Hicks reclassifying to the 2025 class.

Check what I just posted in the 26' thread.

• Haha 1

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Myron Charles - Commit

Josiah Sharma - Commit

Joseph Mbatchou - Florida

Walter Mathis - LSU

Chace Sims - Aggie

Caleb Bell - Arkansas

Floyd Guidry - TCU

Devin Coleman - PWO

Seems like the board

Is Kevin Wynn still a possibility? Or has something has come out about him not being interested?

People only care about Zion Williams because he is a top DL in Texas during a super down-year at the position.  If Zion played high school ball in Colorado, no one would even know his name.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Myron Charles - Commit

Josiah Sharma - Commit

Kevin Wynn - FSU

Joseph Mbatchou - Florida

Walter Mathis - LSU

Chace Sims - Aggie

Caleb Bell - Arkansas

Floyd Guidry - TCU

Devin Coleman - PWO

Seems like the board

Gerry is high on Guidry and hopes they come back to him.  I wish I knew how they have these guys stacked.

Here's his Hudl.  According to his twitter he's got a 4.1 gpa.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Q0Evt

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Suchomel on Zelus Hicks

Hide contents

Lots of Auburn chatter as the Auburn mod puts in a Texas pick. Have to love OB.