Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We offered back in the spring I believe or maybe when Bo was still here?  CTJ said we weren't really pushing in the summer, but looks like things have picked up.  He'd be a real nice flip, I think he's the best DL commit in the aggy class.

Not when you ask Aggie, sir. That’s Tubby McToothpicks. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Losing 5 rotational DT in Collins, Broughton, Norton, Lole, and Savea.

Returning Bledsoe, January, Bryant, and Mitchell. Getting 4 in this class would be huge in terms of rebuilding depth.

I would imagine we will still target 1 or two guys in the portal for next year regardless, but I agree. 4 high end freshmen to develop would be huge. 

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jaray Bledsoe has played 1 snap through 2 weeks in his third year in the program. Sydir Mitchell's issues have been well documented.

I wouldn't be penciling in those two as returners.

The portal will need to be used regardless of how great this DT class is.

You keep saying this stupid shit without the context that for the last 2 full seasons under Sarkisian the IDL has turned similar players into beasts in their final 1-2 seasons. Coburn, Sweat, and Murphy were all talked about in a similar way after their 1st 2-3 seasons on the team. This season everyone's least favorite IDL, Broughton, has finally shown signs of live through his 1st 2 games.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You keep saying this stupid shit without the context that for the last 2 full seasons under Sarkisian the IDL has turned similar players into beasts in their final 1-2 seasons. Coburn, Sweat, and Murphy were all talked about in a similar way after their 1st 2-3 seasons on the team. This season everyone's least favorite IDL, Broughton, has finally shown signs of live through his 1st 2 games.

Show me any game in Sweat, Coburn or Murphy’s third season where they were healthy and played 0 or 1 snap.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Show me any game in Sweat, Coburn or Murphy’s third season where they were healthy and played 0 or 1 snap.

His point isn't off base though, and neither is your concern. It's simply unclear. With Bledsoe, he's a little light in the pants still, weighing 290 lbs according to the roster. It was known when he came in he'd be a multiyear project, but his athleticism and potential made him worth it. He seems like a hard gainer. Another 10 to 15 lbs of muscle, might get him to critical mass and strength. He's listed as a sophomore. Mitchell may yet still see the light as a redshirt freshman with the opposite issue to deal with.

I'd argue as well, the DL room was a different situation when Sweat, Coburn and Murphy came in. It was a situation of tag, you're "it". Time will tell whether either portals, but thinking Sydir is the more likely candidate. Hoping he wakes up and smells the coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Its not stupid. If it was stupid Texas would not haven taken 3 portal DL this year. The coaches realized it was an issue. All of those guys you mentioned were at least rotational pieces before they broke out. The younger Dts are not really in the rotation, so its a big risk to rely on them to be starters next year. We will see how the season plays out, maybe someone emerges, but as of right now it is almost a lock that Texas brings in a couple DTs for next year. This class is highly unlikely to fix any issues in the 2025 season. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Its not stupid. If it was stupid Texas would not haven taken 3 portal DL this year. The coaches realized it was an issue. All of those guys you mentioned were at least rotational pieces before they broke out. The younger Dts are not really in the rotation, so its a big risk to rely on them to be starters next year. We will see how the season plays out, maybe someone emerges, but as of right now it is almost a lock that Texas brings in a couple DTs for next year. This class is highly unlikely to fix any issues in the 2025 season. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jaray Bledsoe has played 1 snap through 2 weeks in his third year in the program. Sydir Mitchell's issues have been well documented.

I wouldn't be penciling in those two as returners.

The portal will need to be used regardless of how great this DT class is.

Have we heard anything concrete about why Bledsoe isn't getting any playing time? Seems like the kid gets talked up a lot but rarely sees the field. I was excited for him as a recruit and really hoped to see him break out this season. 

I haven't heard anything like an official / insider explanation. Just curious of anyone else has.

3 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Have we heard anything concrete about why Bledsoe isn't getting any playing time? Seems like the kid gets talked up a lot but rarely sees the field. I was excited for him as a recruit and really hoped to see him break out this season. 

I haven't heard anything like an official / insider explanation. Just curious of anyone else has.

Perhaps it's because the situation was handled so well in the portal, which wasn't a given, with three seasoned veterans. With an opponent like Michigan in that kind of game atmosphere this early in the season, you rely on seasoned veterans would be my take on the matter. That doesn't 100% answer the question as to where they are at in their development though. But perhaps we will see them and guys like January get more snaps this season as opportunity permits.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Perhaps it's because the situation was handled so well in the portal, which wasn't a given, with three seasoned veterans. With an opponent like Michigan in that kind of game atmosphere this early in the season, you rely on seasoned veterans would be my take on the matter. That doesn't 100% answer the question as to where they are at in their development though. But perhaps we will see them and guys like January get more snaps this season as opportunity permits.

Honestly, that's what I'm most excited about over the next two or three weeks - that we'll see some new faces get playing time. Johntay Cook, Bledsoe, McDonald and Cruz are all guys I was excited about as recruits and would like to see play more of a role in the next few games. 

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

They took 3 portal IDL because they want another year to develop Bledsoe, Bryant, January, Hills, and Mitchell. This isn't hard to figure out. Most of your IDL are going to hit in year 3-5, only the special ones are ready for rotational reps day one, and Texas hasn't really recruited one of those since Malcolm Brown.

I agree they are likely going back into the portal after this season for more experienced players, because even if Bledsoe and Bryant flash next year, you are still relying on multiple rotational snaps from 1-2 year players.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

When he speaks, you listen.

Chills.

That’s pretty fucking good. 

Murphy was a budding star from the moment he took the field for his first practice. The staff knew it. Sweat and Coburn had to develop, in the sense of committing to the sport. The staff was frustrated with their potential for awhile. 

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They took 3 portal IDL because they want another year to develop Bledsoe, Bryant, January, Hills, and Mitchell. This isn't hard to figure out. Most of your IDL are going to hit in year 3-5, only the special ones are ready for rotational reps day one, and Texas hasn't really recruited one of those since Malcolm Brown.

This is exactly why you take some portal guys. They took portal guys, because they did not want to risk the season on players that have not seen the field much. Texas is trying to compete for championships, it would be insanely stupid not to get some insurance in the portal.  Again that can change over the course of the season but based on current rotations it would be Dabo Sweeny type shit to not bring in a couple DTs next year. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

This is exactly why you take some portal guys. They took portal guys, because they did not want to risk the season on players that have not seen the field much. Texas is trying to compete for championships, it would be insanely stupid not to get some insurance in the portal.  Again that can change over the course of the season but based on current rotations it would Dabo Sweeny type shit to not bring in a couple DTs next year. 

1000%, when used correctly the portal should lead to a consistent level of play where a one year rebuild is not needed.

On 9/12/2024 at 12:52 PM, texifornia said:

The closest college I applied to (go Hoosiers) was a 34 hour drive from my house. It felt to me like college is a time to define yourself as your own person, not a time to have parents dropping by unannounced or having your mom do your laundry. Everyone's choices vary.

I only moved about 15 minutes from home. My mother came to my apartment once and quickly decided she wasn't ever making that mistake again. You can set boundaries regardless of distance.

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, visiting Florida, where he will also see A&M, right?

Correct:

While Texas A&M will be heading on the road for the first time this week, it's still another opportunity to make an impression in front of recruits. Among the expected visitors this weekend, according to 247Sports' reporter Blake Alderman, is Top247 edge rusher Javion Hilson and elite receiver Cederian Morgan. Hilson backed off a commitment to Florida State earlier this month and according to 247Sports' Brian Dohn, Texas A&M is one of the programs to keep an eye on. Hilson is expected to be at Florida this weekend where he will not only be watching the Gators but get a chance to see A&M as well. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I only moved about 15 minutes from home. My mother came to my apartment once and quickly decided she wasn't ever making that mistake again. You can set boundaries regardless of distance.

Funny, your mom came to my apartment once and then it was like every goddam day…

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Any predictions? I think Lance Jackson makes 5 star, and Barnes gets a healthy bump. His senior performance has been insane.

Monday is Mexican Independence Day, so Sanchez gets a sixth star and anyone else with a name that seems Hispanic gets a bump.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1