Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

I wonder if this staff is still pursuing Kade  Phillips, or if they're aiming higher? 

I really can't believe we're out of the desert after being there for damn near 13 years and we're sitting at #1. This staff is relentless, and I cannot wait to see who else they flip later on. We're firing on all cylinders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Was scanning the ON3 top 100, and I am very surprised that Alabama has continued to recruit as well as they have. They’ve captured a lot of that list. 

https://rolltide.com/news/2024/2/23/alabama-football-hires-courtney-morgan-as-crimson-tides-general-manager

They have the opposite of a Brandon Harris

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, PTINS said:

Akeem Olajuwon was a soccer goalie and didn't start playing basketball til he was 15. He was the definition of raw when he came to Houston.

Athletic skills translate. The rest can be taught.

Interestingly, you almost never hear of a pro soccer player who "didnt pick up the game" of soccer until he was 15-16.  That athletic trait does seem to flow that way very often.  Maybe because the eye to foot trait has to be learned from an early age?

And before you get all get pissed for "derailing" the thread, I'm doing my part to get us to a 1000.

18 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Interestingly, you almost never hear of a pro soccer player who "didnt pick up the game" of soccer until he was 15-16.  That athletic trait does seem to flow that way very often.  Maybe because the eye to foot trait has to be learned from an early age?

And before you get all get pissed for "derailing" the thread, I'm doing my part to get us to a 1000.

I think it's likely much more that soccer is often one of the first sports that kids do because when they are really young it's "here's a ball, and a field, go run around" and is the intro to team sports. Same with tee-ball but that requires more equipment. Football takes a lot more equipment, kids get started later for safety reasons, it's not played everywhere, etc. So most kids start in soccer and then transition out. Or if they are tall they get told to play basketball and then may transition out. You'll get the occasional didn't play basketball but then all of a sudden end up tall and so be "late to basketball" in that sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Athleticism isn't nearly as important to soccer as it is to football. It helps, but there are some "relatively" average athletes that are dominant soccer players because the game relies so much on skill and finesse. 

With football, you simply have 0 shot of making it to the league unless you are an otherworldly physical specimen (except for QBs mainly, but modern QBs are crazy athletic too). Some NFL players are better athletes than others, but they're all ridiculous compared to your average human. The premier league on the other hand has some guys that from a pure athleticism standpoint aren't all that impressive, but still have very successful careers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Athleticism isn't nearly as important to soccer as it is to football. It helps, but there are some "relatively" average athletes that are dominant soccer players because the game relies so much on skill and finesse. 

With football, you simply have 0 shot of making it to the league unless you are an otherworldly physical specimen (except for QBs mainly, but modern QBs are crazy athletic too). Some NFL players are better athletes than others, but they're all ridiculous compared to your average human. The premier league on the other hand has some guys that from a pure athleticism standpoint aren't all that impressive, but still have very successful careers. 

Someone let this soccer pussy into the league

lRdMtfO.gif.0a457af3e624dea6ea55c5e19d68455f.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trythisathome said:

This is it. Soccer skills require thousands of hours of technical skill development. Like skiing or golf or playing point guard, if you don't learn those skills at an early age, it's highly unlikely you can catch up as a teen. The top pros are able to combine athleticism with that skill development. 

Skill position players in football need to develop some technical skills, but it doesn't require near the time (except for QB). You can teach a teen to catch the ball, but the rest is largely just athleticism (you need to be able to run fast and have lots of strength).

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, PTINS said:

Akeem Olajuwon was a soccer goalie and didn't start playing basketball til he was 15. He was the definition of raw when he came to Houston.

Athletic skills translate. The rest can be taught.

Pos rep for correct spelling of the Dream. Somewhere in a dusty box in my attic I have a basketball card with this spelling when he first came to the league. The image of the card was a safari theme with him superimposed. 

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if I am putting the pieces together correctly or not, but my view is that the CB committed to Ohio State from Alabama could just show up at some point. Take that with a grain of salt, for sure.

Looks like he was Offord at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hornlover said:

This is it. Soccer skills require thousands of hours of technical skill development. Like skiing or golf or playing point guard, if you don't learn those skills at an early age, it's highly unlikely you can catch up as a teen. The top pros are able to combine athleticism with that skill development. 

Skill position players in football need to develop some technical skills, but it doesn't require near the time (except for QB). You can teach a teen to catch the ball, but the rest is largely just athleticism (you need to be able to run fast and have lots of strength).

Not a soccer fan, but it is excellent at developing footwork. That is benefit for these big boys that grew up playing soccer. 

10 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Pos rep for correct spelling of the Dream. Somewhere in a dusty box in my attic I have a basketball card with this spelling when he first came to the league. The image of the card was a safari theme with him superimposed. 

Looks like he was Offord at some point.

Someone in front of a computer should paste it, but Gerry mentioned the CB from Alabama as a long shot target in his write-up today. I believe, and feel free to fact check me here, that this is the first time a credible recruiting journalist has mentioned him as potentially in play for Texas. 

Things might get loud in the DB realm of recruiting. 

There’s also a lot of buzz that the CB commit from somewhere in FB/Sugarland is looking great as a senior. I’d be interested if the film junkies here like @Burt Macklin, @Fud, and many others have had a look and an opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone in front of a computer should paste it, but Gerry mentioned the CB from Alabama as a long shot target in his write-up today. I believe, and feel free to fact check me here, that this is the first time a credible recruiting journalist has mentioned him as potentially in play for Texas. 

Things might get loud in the DB realm of recruiting. 

There’s also a lot of buzz that the CB commit from somewhere in FB/Sugarland is looking great as a senior. I’d be interested if the film junkies here like @Burt Macklin, @Fud, and many others have had a look and an opinion. 

Gerry Hamilton

Defensive back recruiting: Deep sea fishing

The Texas Longhorns are extremely pleased with the two defensive backs committed in the 2025 class thus far.

Five-star safety Jonah Williams (Galveston, Texas/Ball) is playing at an extremely high level as a senior, and doing so 10 pounds lighter than the end of his junior school year. OnTexasFootball 4-star cornerback Caleb Chester (Missouri City, Texas/Marshall) continues to display a very high level of football intelligence along with ball skills and has added 10-12 pounds of strength since the beginning of his junior season. 

Texas would like to add another piece or two from the high school ranks to the 2025 class, but the Horns are also okay with working in the portal to fill an immediate need if that is the direction headed. That means Terry Joseph and the defensive staff are going "deep sea fishing" at a second corner spot in the cycle. OnTexasFootball takes a look at the names to know, with the understanding there are no guarantees the Longhorns will flip one of the top targets by December 4. 

In-state flip priorities

Devin Sanchez, Houston (Texas) North Shore - Ohio State commit
OnTexasFootball ranking: 5-star
The juice: Sanchez and family still answer the phone when Texas calls. Unless Sanchez gets on campus for a game this season, the phone calls won't matter. 

Dorian Brew, Conroe (Texas) High - Oregon commit
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star++
The juice: Texas remains in contact with Brew. 

Cobey Sellers, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek - Texas A&M commit
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-sta
The juice: Texas talks with Sellers on a weekly basis. The Horns will try to chip away here. 

*Note: If Texas was to flip a corner, it's more likely from in-state vs. OOS headed into late September. 

True deep sea fishing

Dijon Lee, Mission Hills (Calif.) High - Alabama commit
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star++

Na'eem Offord, Birmingham (Ala.) Parker - Ohio State commit
OnTexasFootball ranking: 5-star

One more note

Texas is evaluating corners nationally as seniors too. Not out of the question an offer is made, but not a lock at this point either.

image.thumb.png.7ed1ad55492fe263e8c222ece2099518.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas would like to add another piece or two from the high school ranks to the 2025 class, but the Horns are also okay with working in the portal to fill an immediate need if that is the direction headed.

This is a cool part of the portal era, at least for us. We don't have to settle for recruits that we don't absolutely believe in just to have numbers.

On 9/12/2024 at 1:29 PM, Dbeasy said:

The day I decided to stop reading the game thread during the games was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

I did the same. I’ll comment post game. 

I am immensely enjoying Sark shoving my post from a few years ago into my face and calling me the idiot I am.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 9:57 AM, Dbeasy said:

Was scanning the ON3 top 100, and I am very surprised that Alabama has continued to recruit as well as they have. They’ve captured a lot of that list. 

Why would you be surprised one of the top programs in college football who hired one of the top coaches in college football fresh off a national championship appearance continued to recruit well? 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why would you be surprised one of the top programs in college football who hired one of the top coaches in college football fresh off a national championship appearance continued to recruit well? 

Because they jettisoned their entire football recruiting Tammany Hall machine after Saban left in a power play by the university president.

Also, the new coach had absolutely zero ties to the region.

We were initially told that Alabama would go through some growing pains adjust to the post-sagan era.

We are annoyed that that is unfortunately not true.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TXpride said:

Interesting top 4. UF is a dumpster fire and the other 2 haven't looked great. Seems like we could get him if we push, but Gerry seemed to imply we're holding out for Faraimo.

It’s more interesting that you have ignored certain teams’ recruiting success over the years and still think on-field results are always a huge factor.

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Because they jettisoned their entire football recruiting Tammany Hall machine after Saban left in a power play by the university president.

Also, the new coach had absolutely zero ties to the region.

We were initially told that Alabama would go through some growing pains adjust to the post-sagan era.

We are annoyed that that is unfortunately not true.

• Haha 3