Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Does Auburn have some serious NIL going or something?  Seems to be a trendy pick for a lot of high rated guys seeing as Freeze hasn't really done much so far and just got slapped around by Cal.

Freeze and Auburn have historically recruited well and he still has "program vision" to sell, as well as playing time.  From the little I've read they have the standard collective structure you see at all the big schools, and you know that rabid fan base will support it with a newish coach who has won before.  He does need to get a real QB and win more in year 3.  I don't know if he's changed since Ole Miss days but he really comes across as an unhappy person in interviews.  Will be interesting to see if he flames out again.

32 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Freeze and Auburn have historically recruited well and he still has "program vision" to sell, as well as playing time.  From the little I've read they have the standard collective structure you see at all the big schools, and you know that rabid fan base will support it with a newish coach who has won before.  He does need to get a real QB and win more in year 3.  I don't know if he's changed since Ole Miss days but he really comes across as an unhappy person in interviews.  Will be interesting to see if he flames out again.

He may have that new QB. Hank Brown replaced Payton Thorne this past Saturday and threw for 4 TDs

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why would you be surprised one of the top programs in college football who hired one of the top coaches in college football fresh off a national championship appearance continued to recruit well? 

Because Nick Saban was the reason for their success, and before Nick Saban they sucked ass. And their NIL is not strong. Obvious. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing - thinking Alabama was going to fall off a cliff in recruiting, or arguing with that person who is both wrong and dumb.

I don’t think they will fall off a cliff but I predict they lose some commits once NIL deals are getting firmed up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

He may have that new QB. Hank Brown replaced Payton Thorne this past Saturday and threw for 4 TDs

I believe Bud Elliott’s metrics have New Mexico’s defense as the worst in Division 1. I’d tap the brakes on Auburn has a competent QB. 

That said, I hope Brown plays well enough that Freeze can’t credibly guarantee the starting job to high profile 2025 QBs. He’ll try anyway, but the top guys can see through the bullshit. 

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing - thinking Alabama was going to fall off a cliff in recruiting, or arguing with that person who is both wrong and dumb.

You are so transparent. Just because I called out your stupid post last week you’ve been sitting there like a little bitch waiting to post some more stupid shit. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe Bud Elliott’s metrics have New Mexico’s defense as the worst in Division 1. I’d tap the brakes on Auburn has a competent QB. 

That said, I hope Brown plays well enough that Freeze can’t credibly guarantee the starting job to high profile 2025 QBs. He’ll try anyway, but the top guys can see through the bullshit. 

I never said Auburn has a competent QB - I said "he may have that new QB." They've upgraded from Thorne though. Dude was terrible.

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Because Nick Saban was the reason for their success, and before Nick Saban they sucked ass. And their NIL is not strong. Obvious. 

This is a crazy take. Bama is about a blue blood as you can get in college football. Bear Bryant certainly didn’t suck ass at Bama. They have had their ups and downs, but this is just wrong 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is a crazy take. Bama is about a blue blood as you can get in college football. Bear Bryant certainly didn’t suck ass at Bama. They have had their ups and downs, but this is just wrong 

You took my response completely out of context. I never said they aren’t a blue blood. Of course they are. The poster said that Alabama should be as good in recruiting right now as they were before. Not necesssrily. The greatest coach in hiistory there just left, and they don’t have a great NIL program yet. It is completely reasonable to expect something of a drop off in recruiting. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Off topic but I still don't get it either.  Expected some degree of drop off recruiting.  Not rock bottom. If the program is so plug and play then do we overate Saban? I digress 

Back to the topic

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurgleBro said:

Off topic but I still don't get it either.  Expected some degree of drop off recruiting.  Not rock bottom. If the program is so plug and play then do we overate Saban? I digress 

Back to the topic

Let's see them win literally anything interesting before we call it plug and play

• Hook 'Em 3

So we're definitely done at QB, RB, and TE. They seem satisfied as well at OL and WR (other than saving a spot for Terry).

Finish something along the lines of:

• Hilson
  • 2 DL (targets Wynn/Mbatchou/Sims/Mathis/Bell)
  • 1 LB if they like the guy (targets Faraimo/Owusu-Boateng)
  • 2 super secret mystery DB
  • Terry

Main unknowns IMO are the identity of the DBs, whether they take another LB if they miss on the two guys I listed, and whether they pursue a WR committed elsewhere (Johnson or McCutcheon perhaps). After that it's pure big game hunting for national 5-star types or elite guys reclassifying from the '26 class.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jahkeem Stewart, DL, New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr

The 5-star defensive lineman is working to reclassify to the 2025 class. While USC and LSU are considered the top two in the recruitment, OnTexasFootball can report after talking to a source very close to the recruitment in New Orleans Tuesday night that Texas has engaged in multiple conversations with the 6-5.5, 270 pounder. That includes Steve Sarkisian as part of at least one FaceTime call. A visit to a game this season is possible, OTF can report. I stopped by Saint Augustine High a few months ago, and the main takeaway was that Stewart would be a very good academic/athletic fit at Texas. We want to reiterate that USC and LSU are the two heard about most, and Miami is also trying to make a very serious run. 

nice

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So we're definitely done at QB, RB, and TE. They seem satisfied as well at OL and WR (other than saving a spot for Terry).

Finish something along the lines of:

• Hilson
  • 2 DL (targets Wynn/Mbatchou/Sims/Mathis/Bell)
  • 1 LB if they like the guy (targets Faraimo/Owusu-Boateng)
  • 2 super secret mystery DB
  • Terry

Main unknowns IMO are the identity of the DBs, whether they take another LB if they miss on the two guys I listed, and whether they pursue a WR committed elsewhere (Johnson or McCutcheon perhaps). After that it's pure big game hunting for national 5-star types or elite guys reclassifying from the '26 class.

DL may go up to three.  I think Wynn/Mathis/Sims/Mbatchou are ahead of Bell.  I hope Sark takes the Mathis recruitment personally to give a big FU to LSU after they flipped Brown, offered last minute to Anding when it looked like he was about to commit to us, ect.

Feels like we are rolling to dice with LB.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I don't think they are done at WR. Kelshaun Johnson and Dallas Wilson are still being recruited

I have a hard time believing Kelshaun Johnson would come considering who we have in the class. If I remember, the class depth was one of the reasons he decided to look elsewhere when they were talking about Ffrench, Lockett, and possibly DK Moore.   

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have a hard time believing Kelshaun Johnson would come considering who we have in the class. If I remember, the class depth was one of the reasons he decided to look elsewhere when they were talking about Ffrench, Lockett, and possibly DK Moore.   

He may have noticed we have six different receivers who have scored TDs thus far.

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A wr who has an offer from Texas and chooses ATM is probably mentally defective and destined for failure.

You dumb sip, don't you know that they have Weigman Reed Longstreet the next great savior at QB now!

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He may have noticed we have six different receivers who have scored TDs thus far.

Let's hope he doesn't notice Silas Bolden's production relative to last year, though.

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Texas: 13 receiving TDs to eight different players (six WRs) | Total: 74 receptions, 1,028 yards

A&M: 4 receiving TDs to four different layers (three WRs) | Total: 39 receptions, 474 yards

Damn, those are some sizeable differences. I know it's a small sample size and schedules aren't really comparable right now, but I'd imagine that proportion doesn't change much by the end of the season.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

You dumb sip, don't you know that they have Weigman Reed Longstreet the next great savior at QB now!

Let's hope he doesn't notice Silas Bolden's production relative to last year, though.

Well he can focus on the four guys who have better production, or the one guy who has worse production.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

I don't think they are done at WR. Kelshaun Johnson and Dallas Wilson are still being recruited

I thought I heard that Dallas Wilson might be somewhat redundant given the talent we currently have committed, whereas Daylan McCutcheon seems to be a more likely choice for the staff than Keshaun Johnson. But at the moment, Johnson appears to be listening more.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I thought I heard that Dallas Wilson might be somewhat redundant given the talent we currently have committed, whereas Daylan McCutcheon seems to be a more likely choice for the staff than Keshaun Johnson. But at the moment, Johnson appears to be listening more.

They would take Dallas Wilson in a heartbeat and he'd be a big candidate to play early. They're recruiting currently as if he's uncommitted. It is unlikely that adding him would lead to a committed player to look elsewhere. 

While Chris Jackson is working the communications with McCutcheon, Sarkisian and Banks aren't super involved. 

Sarkisian didn't want to lose Johnson. Clearly, they think Johnson gives them something that others do not. Johnson was swayed by the old "you'll be our featured receiver!" pitch that works to some personality types. 

I think Wilson and Johnson are lotto tickets, while McCutcheon is more of a safety plan.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think they'll fall off a cliff.  It will be a slow burn for two reasons.

1. Their accomplishments under Saban will only get them so far.  DeBoer will have to win like Saban did in order to get the "Alabama" discount and that is an unknown as of this moment.

2. They flat-out will not be able to keep pace in today's NIL landscape.  Their alumni base just doesn't have the powder to keep up with the programs that are making noise.  Now that schools are allowed to do what the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world have been doing for years but above board, they're going to find out the hard way that dollars do matter.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They would take Dallas Wilson in a heartbeat and he'd be a big candidate to play early. They're recruiting currently as if he's uncommitted. It is unlikely that adding him would lead to a committed player to look elsewhere. 

While Chris Jackson is working the communications with McCutcheon, Sarkisian and Banks aren't super involved. 

Sarkisian didn't want to lose Johnson. Clearly, they think Johnson gives them something that others do not. Johnson was swayed by the old "you'll be our featured receiver!" pitch that works to some personality types. 

I think Wilson and Johnson are lotto tickets, while McCutcheon is more of a safety plan.

One of Johnson's teachers at hitchcock, daughter plays with mine for an AAU team out of La Marque..

She told me a couple months ago that she was pushing him to UT (she's an alumnus), but when she spoke to his mother.. aggy came out and offered a lot of money for him to go there.. His mom is still going to nursing school at night while holding a FT job.. So you can't blame them for taking the money.. She also told me it was aggy, then SC.. UT was 3rd at the time of his announcement.

She loves him, good student, good head on his shoulders.. hopefully he decides to take his chances in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 3