Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it was more of a rebuttal to whatever cloak & dagger silliness was being spewed by one of the other $9.95ers and then that being played back to OTF with old man questions/statements. 

Nahlin put out an article about keeping Sarks visit to see Brew a secret. Gerry basically saying the coaches have known for months who is after who(both ways). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Article mentioned attrition at WR even with Golden, Bond, and Silas leaving. Wingo, Moore, and Cook inline to start next year, so maybe that leaves Niblett, Butler, Livingstone, or Dubose?

Hasn’t dubose been spotted several times on the sideline not dressed out? I just can’t remember if he’s injured or not. 

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Few things are more boring than reading about a bunch of idiots' eating preferences and personal cooking techniques for steaks/stuff. 

Here's a recruiting update from Bobby Burton:

Hide contents

Several coaches will get on the road to go recruiting following this morning’s practice. And they will stay on the road until tomorrow night. Expect Texas coaches at high schools and football games across the state over the next two days 

The Texas players, meanwhile, will be off Friday and Saturday - most will head home for the first time this season - and then will be expected to return for a Sunday afternoon/evening team meeting.

This is the cadence of a bye week In season.

Additional recruiting needs (how I see them) from both high school and portal:

QB - none 

RB - none from high school; maybe 1 in portal which is somewhat dependent on Baxter’s rehab.

WR - 2; probably one from high school and one from portal; Texas should always go after an A-1 receiver in the portal;  expect some attrition from the room.

TE - no others from high school; possibly one from portal depending on Amari Niblack’s development or lack thereof.

OL - maybe 1 high schooler (looking for a possible tackle); maybe 1 in portal depending on how many starters go pro.

DT - 2 more high schoolers; plus 1 or 2 from portal, depending on internal attrition. Texas’ biggest need in both HS ranks and portal IMO.

Edge - possibly one more high schooler if elite; no need for portal

LB - one more from high school if elite; possibly one from portal if elite.

CB - one more high schooler; one from portal, but only if you can find the right one.

S - 0-1 more high schoolers (only would want if elite); 0-1 in portal

I think RB is depending on Blue leaving but is it a position that you need to go to the portal for? How good are portal running backs? Obviously you have Damien Martinez and Judkins(He's bad mental eval?) but who else is quality that you'd take? We have 2 guys in 2025 class coming in. I'd most certainly not count on Christian Clark being what he was, even with modern surgery procedures, coming off that achilles tear. Baxter should be close to what he was as those types of injuries aren't as serious as Clark's.  

29 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t like this.

Lots of teams will be coming after our WR’s after this year with the pitch that they will be a clear number one receiver and not have to share targets as much and a big NIL offer.  Hopefully no one bites but teams will make offers that are hard to turn down.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think RB is depending on Blue leaving but is it a position that you need to go to the portal for? How good are portal running backs? Obviously you have Damien Martinez and Judkins(He's bad mental eval?) but who else is quality that you'd take? We have 2 guys in 2025 class coming in. I'd most certainly not count on Christian Clark being what he was, even with modern surgery procedures, coming off that achilles tear. Baxter should be close to what he was as those types of injuries aren't as serious as Clark's.  

Maybe OSU's season goes to the shitter and Ollie decides to transfer .. 

15 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Maybe OSU's season goes to the shitter and Ollie decides to transfer .. 

Not sure Sark would go there. The story last year was he was pretty lazy and didnt look good in practice (effort wise). Eventually the mullet swallowed his pride and started him. Ollie rewarded him with a great season and a DUI. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

After Achilles tear and repair, most players do return (70-80 percent). Most that return are not as good 1 year out. That effect tends to wash out by 2 years for those who actually do return.

For the 70-80% who return, it’s basically a two year process to get back to (approximately) where they were?

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

After Achilles tear and repair, most players do return (70-80 percent). Most that return are not as good 1 year out. That effect tends to wash out by 2 years for those who actually do return.

Is this the Arthrex procedure?  Hadn’t noted that - I recall Rudy Gay did pretty well recently but cannot recall a football player (needing a RB-type of explosive power) with the same procedure and/or recovery

3 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Is this the Arthrex procedure?  Hadn’t noted that - I recall Rudy Gay did pretty well recently but cannot recall a football player (needing a RB-type of explosive power) with the same procedure and/or recovery

Those stats are not procedure-, implant-, sport-, or position- specific. They are worst for basketball overall though.

EDIT Limitations on explosive power are neuromuscular. The tendon either ruptures or doesn't. Sometimes the muscle rehab doesn't go well, sometimes psych factors limit explosive power. In terms of the repair limiting it, either the tendon re-ruptures or it doesn't.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

And here's more from Gerry. If this doesn't redirect you fucking idiots into more interesting dialogue, @immamac should just delete the fucking thread and subforum and finish the process of turning this site into a food and travel site. 

Hide contents

Who's trying to flip who

OnTexasFootball begins your Thursday by looking at who's trying to flip who. 

One thing OTF will not do is insult the intelligence of college coaching staffs and fan bases. For instance, Oregon and FSU knew Texas was trying to flip Josiah Sharma and Myron Charles before Sharma visited or Charles was thinking about a July visit. Same with others in prior classes. No different than Texas is fully aware that Oregon and others are still trying on Sharma, and FSU and Miami are still trying with Charles. These college coaching staffs are fully aware. 

Fast forward to October 3, and nothing has changed. The Texas staff knows Miami is and will make one more big run at one of the top commits in the class. Oregon knows Texas will try to flip an in-state prospect committed to the Ducks. Dan Lanning, Ra'shaad Samples, and Will Stein don't look at each other in a recruiting meeting with blank stares! And the same goes for Texas A&M and Texas with each other's commitments. The bottom line, the coaching staffs know behind the scenes before it ever gets out publicly. 

Now that we have the obvious out of the way, it's time to look at who's trying to flip who. 

Miami making one more run at Jaime Ffrench

As one would expect, the Miami Hurricanes are making one more run at Texas WR commit Jaime Ffrench (Jacksonville, Fla./Mandarin). And the Canes should, or they aren't doing their job. No different than Cedric Baxter Jr. visiting FSU during the season, or Jerrick Gibson visiting Florida during the season. 

Miami is trying to get Ffrench to make a game-day visit this month. The Texas staff knows this. Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson are not surprised, and expected Miami to make a final run. 

Wide receivers coach Chris Jackson is scheduled to be in Jacksonville Friday to see Ffrench. But that has nothing to do with Miami making the expected final run. This has been scheduled for a while. 

An additional note here: Miami is also making a similar run at Oregon wide receiver commit Dallas WIlson (Tampa, Fla./Tech). The Canes are hoping to win out for one of the two stud in-state wide receiver prospects. 

Florida State battling to keep Daylan McCutcheon

The Florida State staff knew prior to McCutcheon making game day visits to Texas A&M and Texas the last two weeks that both programs were in contact with the Lovejoy High 4-star wide receiver. 

OTF believes FSU is fighting a real uphill battle here. 

Texas A&M has also been fully aware that Texas has remained interested in 4-star+ wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson. Aggies wide receivers coach Holmon Wiggins attended the Hitchcock vs. Bellville game September 19 and spoke with the Hitchcock High staff about this. 

Texas working to flip in-state DB's

Texas remains in contact with Oregon 4-star++ verbal Dorian Brew (Conroe, Texas/High). And yes, Oregon knows and has known. 

Texas remains in contact with Texas A&M 4-star commit Cobey Sellers (Pearland, Texas/Shadow Creek). And yes, Texas A&M knows and has known. 

Texas battling for flips in the Peach State

Defensive line coach Kenny Baker may have the toughest task of all. Flying out to his home state of Georgia today to make further runs at some of the top defensive linemen in the Southeast Region.

Texas continues to make a run at FSU 4-star+ commit Kevin Wynn (Greensboro, Ga./Greene County). Wynn has already been on campus at South Carolina and is expected to be on campus at Georgia and possibly Texas for the remainder of the season. FSU knew weeks ago and knows this currently.

Florida fully understands they are up against it on OTF 4-star+ defensive lineman Joseph Mbatchou (Loganville, Ga./Grayson). Texas is battling Alabama and Georgia for the fast-rising. This is a battle for a defensive lineman with a very high ceiling. Mbatchou is scheduled to make his OV to Texas for the Georgia game.

Kids don't return to school in Savannah, Ga. most places until Monday following Hurricane Helene. There have been many without power or damage to homes. That means the recruitment of OTF 4-star++ defensive lineman and LSU commit Walter Mathis Jr. of Calvary Day High has slowed down a little. Texas is still working to get the 6-1.5, 288-pound wrecking ball to Austin for the Georgia game. Miami also continues to pursue the nationally underrated Peach State lineman.

Some other flip targets for Texas

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High - *Ohio State commit

Dijon Lee, CB, Mission Hills (Calif.) High - *Alabama commit

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite (Texas) Horn - *Missouri commit

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High - *LSU commit

There are others Texas remains in contact with, but the key remains getting those players to campus for a game. Georgia is that game for many. 

Beyond Hilson publicly committing, all of Rogers, Mathis/Mbatchou, Brew, and Pettijohn would be huge flips at positions of need in this class. Gerry had a post the other day that Texas could be in play for the #2 class. Based on previous years, we’d need to land about 5-6 more top 150 recruits to get there, so that probably means he thinks we could get Hilson, 2 DTs, 1 CB, and another WR or LB. That would be a pretty amazing finish to the class. 

Lee at CB would be great too, but it seems like we’re sitting third behind Bama and UGA. Sellers would be fun for the aggie tears and it would be great to get him and Brew, but I think Brew is the better prospect and punishing Oregon for trying to invade Texas would  be a great bonus. The more in-state guys we can flip late, leaving their current schools without a good replacement, the better. It will hopefully make them think twice about banking on a recruit from Texas filling positions of need for them in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Lots of teams will be coming after our WR’s after this year with the pitch that they will be a clear number one receiver and not have to share targets as much and a big NIL offer.  Hopefully no one bites but teams will make offers that are hard to turn down.  

So you think one of the most organized and well-funded NIL programs is going to be targeted for WRs by other schools as some sort of priority?

Okay then. 

50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I were going to guess WR transfer i'd guess Cook and Dubose.

All Burton was doing was looking at the roster and saying “well, somebody will leave”. There’s no current info about anyone being interested in that right now. It’s likely to be someone told after the season that their role for 2025 is unclear at that point in time. Same as last cycle. 

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Beyond Hilson publicly committing, all of Rogers, Mathis/Mbatchou, Brew, and Pettijohn would be huge flips at positions of need in this class. Gerry had a post the other day that Texas could be in play for the #2 class. Based on previous years, we’d need to land about 5-6 more top 150 recruits to get there, so that probably means he thinks we could get Hilson, 2 DTs, 1 CB, and another WR or LB. That would be a pretty amazing finish to the class. 

Lee at CB would be great too, but it seems like we’re sitting third behind Bama and UGA. Sellers would be fun for the aggie tears and it would be great to get him and Brew, but I think Brew is the better prospect and punishing Oregon for trying to invade Texas would  be a great bonus. The more in-state guys we can flip late, leaving their current schools without a good replacement, the better. It will hopefully make them think twice about banking on a recruit from Texas filling positions of need for them in the future. 

Hilson and Terry will take it to top 3 or 4 alone. Someone can play with that and get back to us. 

They feel good about one of the DBs. Not sure who it is. I think Lee is pure fantasy as well. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

So you think one of the most organized and well-funded NIL programs is going to be targeted for WRs by other schools as some sort of priority?

Okay then. 

All Burton was doing was looking at the roster and saying “well, somebody will leave”. There’s no current info about anyone being interested in that right now. It’s likely to be someone told after the season that their role for 2025 is unclear at that point in time. Same as last cycle. 

Hilson and Terry will take it to top 3 or 4 alone. Someone can play with that and get back to us. 

They feel good about one of the DBs. Not sure who it is. I think Lee is pure fantasy as well. 

I forgot about Terry. Assuming him and Hilson are in, then we’d need 3-4 more top 150 guys to get over 310, which is what it’s taken to be #2 the last two years. 

I’m guessing the DB they feel good about is Brew, so getting to #2 would be something like Terry, Hilton, flipping Brew, Wynn/Mathis, and one of Rogers or Pettijohn. 

Telling that in both updates from Gerry and Bobby, any information about Sims is non existent. Notable because of how bullish they were at the beginning of the week. Aggy definitely upped the number just to keep him from visiting I’m assuming. Not worried but definitely a testament to the cut throat DT recruiting.

14 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Telling that in both updates from Gerry and Bobby, any information about Sims is non existent. Notable because of how bullish they were at the beginning of the week. Aggy definitely upped the number just to keep him from visiting I’m assuming. Not worried but definitely a testament to the cut throat DT recruiting.

It's more a notion of aggy not wanting to be publicly teabagged again this year by Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yea, without knowing anything else his target share so far makes me think he could explore options. He should see a heavy load next year but we said that about this year until we got 3 bad asses in the portal. Not dropping gimme 50 yard touchdowns would help.

15 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Cook is pretty tight with Arch and appears to be one of Arch's preferred targets. Seems like he would stick around for at least one season where Manning is QB1. 

Odds are he stays, but in this world of college football I would not make a bet either way. Wasnt that long ago people were sweating Worthy hitting the portal. I feel good about Wingo and Moore. They look to be the top 2 options for 2025. After that who knows if Sark grabs a WR that changes the outlook for some guys or what NIL money gets thrown around

Edited by Codaxx

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Few things are more boring than reading about a bunch of idiots' eating preferences and personal cooking techniques for steaks/stuff. 

Here's a recruiting update from Bobby Burton:

Hide contents

WR - 2; probably one from high school and one from portal; Texas should always go after an A-1 receiver in the portal;  expect some attrition from the room.

l5lpmg.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since the one rb update says dependent on baxter’s rehab but does not mention Clark’s rehab- is there an assumption about Clark’s injury that’s already baked in to the room number?  If so, I’d take a guess that the assumption is he won’t be around.  

I would think Clark will take 2 years to be back, as others have said above. 

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Article mentioned attrition at WR even with Golden, Bond, and Silas leaving. Wingo, Moore, and Cook inline to start next year, so maybe that leaves Niblett, Butler, Livingstone, or Dubose?

Dubose is probably on the way out. He hasn't been the same since his injury in HS. Maybe Butler, but he's redshirting, so I dunno. Livingstone is playing and I expect him back. Niblett is a maybe, but he's been pretty decent in his limited role as a RB, but Sark said he would return to WR for next season, but I wouldn't rule him out as a transfer candidate. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think Cook would transfer given he has a good relationship with Arch and seems to be a favorite target, as others have said. I know you know this, but wanted to reiterate. 

• Hook 'Em 1