Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

47 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247 updated its ranking and most of our commits got huge jumps.  Jackson is now a composite 5* and Charles, Sharma, Barnes, Townsend, McCutcheon got big bumps.

Nick Brooks dropped out of the top 247 though.

Mbatchou is now in the top 247 and a composite 5*.

BOMC finally putting in some fucking work.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is nuts. Ton of upside on the kid, but he is rotational player in his first year of football. He has all the tools to be an NFL guy, but he is also ridiculously raw. High ceiling/low floor guys should not be 5 stars. 

May I introduce you to one Tyler Owens

42 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

-Brooks down to an unranked four star from 143.

He also moved from JFK high school in Cedar Falls, Iowa to Grayson. Enormous step up in competition and we're only through the first half of his senior year. This is a kneejerk rerank devoid of context. 

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

They can be Georgia guys when they walk in, see if they stay that way by the end of the night. High risk, high reward.

Honestly, if they’re already Georgia guys, is it even high risk as long as you don’t think they’re here to recruit. That would be a whole ‘nother can of worms. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Who was that LSU cornerback that came on a visit to help recruit other prospects to LSU during the Tom Herman era? 

A competent and detail-oriented recruiting and personnel department should be able to monitor visitors, suss out any bad influences and promptly remove them.  Call me a pessimist but I’m not sure we check that box with everything else going on for the game. Better to not take the chance with higher-risk guys like Gibson.

11 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

Who was that LSU cornerback that came on a visit to help recruit other prospects to LSU during the Tom Herman era? 

A competent and detail-oriented recruiting and personnel department should be able to monitor visitors, suss out any bad influences and promptly remove them.  Call me a pessimist but I’m not sure we check that box with everything else going on for the game. Better to not take the chance with higher-risk guys like Gibson.

Scared money don't make none.

27 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

there are people on staff to do only that.  it's fine. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

They can be Georgia guys when they walk in, see if they stay that way by the end of the night. High risk, high reward.

I’m more thinking these guys start rooting and talking to recruits about Georgia if they somehow win. Like maybe the future guys or 50 50 guys. 

Edited by Hookem10
I forgot

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Where 2025 Texas football commits, targets stand in the updated Top247 rankings

Reveal hidden contents

Where 2025 Texas football commits, targets stand in the updated Top247 rankings

How Texas football targets and commits stack up in the updated Top247 rankings.

Jordan Scruggs

247Sports just released its newest Top247 for the Class of 2025 featuring a number of moves for Texas targets. 

The Top247 is 247Sports' ranking of the top 247 recruits across the country. It — along with the other rankings in the industry — help compile the 247Sports Composite, which takes into account the ranking of each player on each site. 

To read more about how 247Sports decides on rankings and how the process works, click HERE. 

This update to the Top247 is one of the more comprehensive updates I've seen for a senior class as there's 40 newcomers to the Top247 including a handful of Texas commits and targets. 

Here is a look at how Texas targets and commits are stacked up in the updated Top247 rankings.

Jonah Williams, safety, Galveston Ball — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 7

*New ranking: No. 6

Justus Terry, DL, Manchester (Ga.)

*Previous ranking: No. 13

*New ranking: No. 9

Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 12

*New ranking: No. 16

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville — Oklahoma commit

*Previous ranking: No. 27

*New ranking: No. 17

Michael Terry III, ATH, San Antonio Alamo Heights 

*Previous ranking: No. 20

*New ranking: No. 24

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite Horn — Missouri commit

*Previous ranking: No. 104

*New ranking: No. 27

Lance Jackson, EDGE, Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 66

*New ranking: No. 38

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 25

*New ranking: No. 48

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe — Oregon commit

*Previous ranking: No. 63

*New ranking: No. 58

Kevin Wynn, DL, Greensboro (Ga.)  Greene County — Florida State commit

*Previous ranking: No. 59

*New ranking: No. 59

Nick Townsend, TE, Spring Dekaney — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 109

*New ranking: No. 66

Javion Hilson, EDGE, Cocoa (Fla.)

*Previous ranking: No. 44

*New ranking: No. 69

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic

*Previous ranking: No. 114

*New ranking: No. 80

Elijah Barnes, LB, Dallas Skyline — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 107

*New ranking: No. 82

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney — Ohio State commit

*Previous ranking: No. 60

*New ranking: No. 94

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock — Texas A&M commit

*Previous ranking: No. 197

*New ranking: No. 112

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 214

*New ranking: No. 131

Smith Orogbo, EDGE, Alief Hastings — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 176

*New ranking: No. 150

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng, LB, IMG Academy

*Previous ranking: No. 71

*New ranking: No. 158

Daylan McCutcheon, WR, Lovejoy — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 221

*New ranking: No. 185

James Simon, RB, Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist Academy — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 184

*New ranking: No. 191

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: 88 rated three-star

*New ranking: No. 210

KJ Lacey, QB, Saraland (Ala.) — Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 180

*New ranking: No. 228

Joseph Mbatchou, DL, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson — Florida commit

*Previous ranking: 89 rated three-star

*New ranking: No. 229

Malcolm Simpson, DL, Hitchcock — Nebraska commit

*Previous ranking: 90 rated nationally unranked four-star

*New ranking: No. 236

Dropped out of Top247:

Nick Brooks, OT, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson – Texas commit

*Previous ranking: No. 143

*New ranking: 90 rated nationally unranked four-star

-Fasusi up from 27 to 17.

-LaMont Rogers up from 104 to 27.

-Brooks down to an unranked four star from 143.

Many mock drafts indicate that Texas likely has two day one OTs picked in May, 2025. While I know there are good OTs in waiting (Goosby and Baker), Brooks should be a good development guy, and Texas leads for Turntine in 2026, I would really like to land Rogers or Fasusi in this class. Nevertheless, Brooks may end up being a starter faster than not, rankings are oftentimes wrong, and Texas may take a portal OT this offseason anyways. Plus, OU's season could go to shit and Fasusi could flip.

Get Fasusi out of your head. He's not coming here. He wants immediate playing time, which ousux can provide. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

That is nuts. Ton of upside on the kid, but he is rotational player in his first year of football. He has all the tools to be an NFL guy, but he is also ridiculously raw. High ceiling/low floor guys should not be 5 stars. 

Depends on how high the ceiling is. If he runs a 4.4 I'd make him a 5 star.

26 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Get Fasusi out of your head. He's not coming here. He wants immediate playing time, which ousux can provide. 

I get that Fasusi is gone but why wouldn't he have immediate playing time with both our tackles gone? Are we (or is he?) sure Baker and Goosby would beat him out?

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I get that Fasusi is gone but why wouldn't he have immediate playing time with both our tackles gone? Are we (or is he?) sure Baker and Goosby would beat him out?

Because we have Goosby who's played really well when Banks is off the field, and same with Baker, apparently. I'm not even sure he can play RT, anyway.He sees the depth chart, and doesn't even answer Texas' calls, per Gerry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

On Michael Terry, 

- For some time now, the assessment has been that Oregon and Nebraska are our main competition.

- On Monday, Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) said Terry didn't make it to Oregon (yay!), and reiterated his Texas pick:

"One of the rare times the San Antonio native isn't the highest ranked prospect on the list, it goes to show you the amount of talent the Longhorns are welcoming to campus on Saturday. After not making it to Oregon this past weekend for the Ducks' home win over Ohio State, Michael Terry III is expected back in Austin this weekend for Texas' biggest home game of the year. After seeing Nebraska to open the season, this'll be Terry's second time back on campus this season alone after stopping by the Forty Acres for the UTSA game earlier in the fall. A December timeline continues to be what the five-star tells folks, however Horns247 is expecting a commitment to take place sometime before the month of December. Nebraska and Oregon have been the main competition to the burnt orange going back to the summer, but at this point in the recruitment I'd be pretty shocked if the pick doesn't end up being the Longhorns. I'm not expecting anything as of right now, but it would not shock me if a big Texas win over Georgia on Saturday speeds up the timeline of the nation's No. 1 athlete."

Then, Mike Schaefer (Huskers 247) said this yesterday:

"Michael Terry III — This five-star wide receiver is looking to make a December decision and he's been in Lincoln once already for a game as he was in town for the Colorado game. There's a chance he could double back later this season.

Texas is the primary competition for Nebraska and the Longhorns, who look like the best team in the country right now, are the expected landing spot.

Still the Huskers have sold Terry and his family on the idea that Nebraska is putting together a program designed to get talented players to the NFL, built around Matt Rhule's experience. Still it's beginning to feel a bit like a long shot."

:-)))

Based off his 2.5 years with the Panthers when he went 11-27 and was relegated back to Nebraska?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

Reasonable perspective. Then again, even if guys committed elsewhere don't defect to us right out of high school, maybe the visit eventually helps our chances come portal time. 

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

What position will Terry likely play?

He reminds me of a slower Brock Bowers. He can do so much on offense. 

I also didn’t realize how harsh I was being on him earlier this year. He had a great QB last year, and no insult to any of those kids but his QBs are fucking trash this year, I believe they’ve tried a few. Hence his receiving numbers falling off a cliff. He & and the running back (Órale DK Garza) have fully carried Alamo Heights so far.

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I also didn’t realize how harsh I was being on him earlier this year. He had a great QB last year, and no insult to any of those kids but his QBs are fucking trash this year, I believe they’ve tried a few. Hence his receiving numbers falling off a cliff. He & and the running back (Órale DK Garza) have fully carried Alamo Heights so far.

Did somebody hack Helobious account?

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

This is the biggest news on this thread

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

He will punt, place kick, return kicks, catches passes, take handoffs, make julienne fries, clean the fan blades, solve your marriage crisis, and circumcise your Jewish son. 

guy is elite, is what I’m saying. 

so he’s like Bugs Bunny playing baseball? 

9 hours ago, BERT said:

This is the biggest news on this thread

Helobious found out that Terry’s mother’s maiden name was Garcia and is now a fan. 

7 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

After the Halloween incident of 2022, I've got to think the Party Monkey is now reserved for the in crowd.  

Can someone get me in?  

Was the monkey incident not 2021? Or was there something else that happened on Halloween with a monkey?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

friday night lights l.v. miles GIF

He actually can. I first heard about him when he was an incoming 9th grader. He was working with Yale Vannoy (SA’s big name QB coach) and had gotten an offer from Georgia Tech I believe. I assumed he’d be a QB all the way but he apparently was willing to change positions.