Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When somebody says it's not about the money, you can bet your ass it's about the money.

We're still a Nike school, right? I can't imagine it sits well with anyone in our program that the largest shareholder and founder of one of our corporate partners is actively undermining our recruiting efforts. This obviously isn't limited to Texas. It's a huge conflict of interest. I'm surprised more isn't made of it around the sport.

It's just business.

Don't hate the player.

Edited by DixonHur

Does this staff have any kind of plan for DT in this class after today? Seems like slim pickings out there now, and hoping to flip kids in November and December isn’t much of a plan. 

He can go win awards and it won’t matter we will be fine at receiver. We have the December signing period, February signing period and winter and spring portal. I am completely confident we will really like our roster for Sarks entire tenure here. 
we have at worst the 3rd best NIL situation in college football- we will be absolutely fine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When somebody says it's not about the money, you can bet your ass it's about the money.

We're still a Nike school, right? I can't imagine it sits well with anyone in our program that the largest shareholder and founder of one of our corporate partners is actively undermining our recruiting efforts. This obviously isn't limited to Texas. It's a huge conflict of interest. I'm surprised more isn't made of it around the sport.

Why blame Nike? We have our own Billionaires who could step up and do the exact same 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll continue the weather talk, but I really think that has little to do with it (no inside info).

No surprise, Texas is warmer than Oregon in the summer.  The mild summer temperatures in the Pac NW and Midwest almost make the winters worth it.  Almost.

image.thumb.png.e35aad1966c4c43bea56fad5e1d63250.png

image.png

Edited by boilerhorn

6 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

I'll continue the weather talk, but I really think that has little to do with it (no inside info).

No surprise, Texas is warmer than Oregon in the summer.  The mild summer temperatures in the Pac NW and Midwest almost make the winters worth it.  Almost.

image.thumb.png.e35aad1966c4c43bea56fad5e1d63250.png

image.png

I’m. It sure their winters are much colder than ours

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I have no insider knowledge, but I'll take a stab (assuming that the money was equal):

• Eugene is nice. The weather is better than in Austin, although it still gets hot. Visiting in the summer and then coming back to hot AF Dallas may have given him pause.
  • Far from family and high school friends. Some people like to go do their own thing. Plus maybe he wants to have fun in college - like fun fun - and doesn't think he can do that in Austin where he's so close to family / friends. Fewer people to report back to mom if you show your ass on Saturday night. 
  • Rashaad Samples / Lanning's staff are good recruiters. I'm sure they had a good pitch. I don't know a ton about Junior Adams, but having the WR be an OC suggests that WR will feature in the offense.
  • Their WR room has plenty of talent, but isn't nearly as stacked as we are at the position. It's pretty much Evan Stewart and Tez Johnson. The others are contributors and one or two might even play on Sunday, but there are fewer people between Moore and the field at Oregon. 
  • I doubt the QB room had anything to do with this. I would think that factor favors Texas. But maybe he hit it off with Dante Moore in a way he didn't with Manning? I don't know. 
  • If he's not happy at Oregon he can always leave. Texas will welcome him with open arms and no one in his family will question the decision. He would probably catch a lot more shit at home if he tried to do the reverse. 
  • Him calling Evan Stewart a role model or whatever tells me that his judgment may be somewhat suspect, or at least that he's not using the normal metrics in making his decision. Stewart went to A&M for money and to be the feature WR. I don't think he cared that much about the larger university experience or the team's success. I don't fault Stewart for being merc, but I do fault him for being a duplicitous, lazy little shit. Maybe he got in Moore's ear and told him that all coaches are liars and that Moore needs to look out for No. 1 rather than listen to any coach's pitch. That would make sense if the bulk of your experience with coaches is Jimbo. Lanning probably seems like a Saint in contrast. 
  • Speaking of Evan Stewart, weed like legal in Oregon. It is not in Texas. One fewer thing to worry about on Saturday night. 

I'm sure that money had a lot to do with it, but based on what people have said on this board I'm assuming that we were happy to equal whatever Oregon was offering. So the things I've listed above seem to be the difference makers. 

Edit: And they do have snazzy uniforms. Not my style personally, but I'm a 40-year-old white dude. 

Throw in that he's had Rashaad Samples dad as his high school coach for the past three years telling him how great Oregon is on his son's behalf.

nvmd... 6th beat me to this

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

35 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

well akshually...

WWWGOO~1.PNG

As a houstonian I would be orgasmic for that forecast. Dipping into the 50’s at night as opposed to a heat index that never gets below 82% for 3 months is amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Throw in that he's had Rashaad Samples dad as his high school coach for the past three years telling him how great Oregon is on his son's behalf.

Rashaad has been at Oregon for 3 months not 3 years.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rashaad has been at Oregon for 3 months not 3 years.

Also, he's the RB coach not the WR coach. Not that it matters much, but someone else got it wrong somewhere above in the thread. 

I'm sure the Samples(es?) had an impact on this recruitment but I'm not sure by how much. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Diminimus!

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Weather is not an issue…doubt that this was ever considered.

Weather is mostly an issue for old people, and why I live half the year up here in OR. 

39 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Just wait till he plays at Michigan State late in the season. I am sure his family jewels will shoot up quicker than a paper window shade once he hits the field.

image.png.02b9ce459721940c289d7ba2a5984d25.png

Take this to the next level. It won't happen every year but imagine when the play

at Penn State and Rutgers. Or other Big10 schools in November. Those kids are 

going to be doing a lot of flying and it will get old. 

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You don’t become the richest athletic department in America by overspending.  Take the Moore money and put it in some mutual funds, maybe a CD, and sit back as the profits roll in. It’s just good business. 

And some ETFs

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You don’t become the richest athletic department in America by overspending.  Take the Moore money and put it in some mutual funds, maybe a CD, and sit back as the profits roll in. It’s just good business. 

lol this isn’t typical business

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

I liked this joke better the 5 or 6 times it was made yesterday. 

Yea, lets get off that joke. Anybody have an opinion about DT recruiting? A fresh one?

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

Absolutely.  And grayer.  Austin gets 227 days of sunlight per year.  Eugene: 157.

The original point was that it wasn't as hot as fuck as it is in Texas.  We spend 7 months with a median high above 80. They spend 2.

39 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Weather is not an issue…doubt that this was ever considered.

27 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Weather is mostly an issue for old people, and why I live half the year up here in OR. 

Yes. Players don't need lap blankets and hot water bottles. It's my understanding that college football players are fairly tough.

On 7/3/2024 at 10:17 PM, Hermanator said:

Moore calling it this soon means it's Texas. His moms told GH she put a mid August deadline for him to decide and announce so he isn't distracted while in school. If he was conflicted and thinking to change off of Texas he would have taken more time.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

meant his high school coach of 3 years... is telling him how great Oregon is on his son't behalf

I know what you meant. I need you to think about this for like 3 seconds. Or at least word things better

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Haha 1

Is Oregon the “cool” school? You turn down LSU, OSU, Tex which are all current WR factories to go to a defensive minded coach that hasn’t produced a top notch WR in God knows how long.

Nike seems to be the jokers cap in NIL recruiting right now

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’ll be like 5 flights a year.  All in 2 months, but still just 5. 

Will Texas not be flying to Athens, Kentucky, Florida, and other locales?

Are you sure about that?? 

Lets call it 12 games.. 

Texas will have 6 homes that family can drive to.. 

Oregon has 6 home games, that the family needs to fly to.. 

Texas will have away games that are the family could drive to (LSU, OU, and A&M)

Oregon will will not. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Are you sure about that?? 

Lets call it 12 games.. 

Texas will have 6 homes that family can drive to.. 

Oregon has 6 home games, that the family needs to fly to.. 

Texas will have away games that are the family could drive to (LSU, OU, and A&M)

Oregon will will not. 

Phil Knight private jet to*