Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Meh, plenty of other WRs.  Keep working on our recruiting in the trenches and defense. 🤘

BINGO !!

WR can’t catch the pass with the QB planted on his ass. Don’t care how good you are. 

30 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

In terms of transfer help for the following season, aren't we by rule limited to non-SEC programs? That obviously still leaves a ton of schools but eliminates some of those most likely to have major talent stuck behind elite starters. I guess we can still try to raid the B10, B12 and ACC. 

For football there is a fall transfer window and a spring transfer window.  SEC teams can take a transfer from another SEC team in either window, however, if you take one in the spring window that player is ineligible for the upcoming season essentially eliminating the spring window as an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Just scrolled 4 pages of this mockery of a thread. Have avoided what I am sure will be 3-4 brutal phone conversations when I return those calls. Just can’t hear any more about the state of incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now. You people are making me healthy. I think I’m going to go play MLB 2024 for a while until my wife makes me rejoin adulthood, hopefully with a Manhattan she’s made, this evening. 

Now I know how you chose your name!

They have heavily prioritized a bunch of  national recruiting battles without the organization and presentation to justify it.  Outrecruited on the elite guys while not keeping secondary options warm.  Arrogance.
Plus, Brandon Harris is running the show, lulz
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Hornmatic said:

Burton posted a Katy Agnor circa 2000 calm down post to the OTF faithfuls. Did not have that on my bingo card 6 months ago. 

Our industry guys look pretty fucking stupid as a whole this cycle. I’ll just blame Brandon Harris and Taylor Searles being underprepared dog shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

Burton posted a Katy Agnor circa 2000 calm down post to the OTF faithfuls. Did not have that on my bingo card 6 months ago. 

I've read way too much bs over the last 24 hours. Texas got beat on a recruit. Yes. Was it a tough loss? Absolutely. Have there been others, too? Yes, it hasn't been the first or even second time in the last couple of weeks. There may even be another today and more tomorrow. I get the frustration. I understand it. I truly do. But the absolute idea that Texas will somehow be defeated by this stretch and that the recruiting world of the Longhorns is coming to an end is nothing more than useless hyperbole. And, it shows just how *young* some people are from covering or following recruiting.

I don't say all of this to be mean to those folks, and I certainly don't want to be disrespectful either. But I've been doing this for 30+ years now. Regardless of what some think or what some of you read, I am here to tell you that the Texas football program has not been in better shape than it is today, not since the run from 2000-2009. And I mean that in every aspect of the program, including recruiting. These guys Texas is losing out on are great players. It happens, and it has always happened.

I remember Texas losing out on guys like Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris, Martellus Bennet, and Matthew Stafford during that earlier time frame. Those aren't just "good" players, those are great ones. Yet Texas still fielded amazing teams in that decade. So when I look at the Texas program today from a macro perspective, I see things much differently than some who call Texas recruiting and the trajectory of the program into question. To me, this is not the end of the story for Texas and its football program. It's still part of the building process. Despite some major recruiting losses, there have been major wins, too.

I feel confident Texas remains in a similar situation today as they were back in the start of that same era. So let's stop with the overreaction. Steve Sarkisian is really only just getting started in Austin. He's headed into year four, coming off a CFP appearance, double-digit NFL draft picks, and a 2024 squad that should compete at a high level. So enjoy this time. Don't get so caught up in recruiting losses that you lose the forest through the trees.

He goes on to say that Moore was the biggest loss of the class so far, and that losing Glasscock, while a big loss in itself, likely didn't influence Moore.

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn’t matter what our overall recruiting picture looks like or what this season appears to hold…this is an epic fucking failure that’s occurring right now in this recruiting class.

It’s not just about defensive tackles or defensive backs or wide receivers… it’s about some seriously dysfunctional shit going on with a staff that has every resource in the world available to it.

Even the “calm down” apologists have to be wondering what the hell is going on at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Of course....it's just an update, nothing more....lots of time left...I get it.  

Yep. I too hope that 5 months from now we end up signing a top 5 class with a signing day flip at DT and we can all look back at where we were in July and laugh. 

It doesn’t matter what our overall recruiting picture looks like or what this season appears to hold…this is an epic fucking failure that’s occurring right now in this recruiting class.
It’s not just about defensive tackles or defensive backs or wide receivers… it’s about some seriously dysfunctional shit going on with a staff that has every resource in the world available to it.
Even the “calm down” apologists have to be wondering what the hell is going on at this point.

Care to specify or just bleed from your vagina? It’s a WR who got money whipped by Phil Knight’s billions of dollars and a DT that committed to us months ago before he ever visited campus and to a position coach that is no longer with the team.

To be clear, I’m very fucking frustrated too but I’m not gonna completely freak the fuck out just yet
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

He goes on to say that Moore was the biggest loss of the class so far, and that losing Glasscock, while a big loss in itself, likely didn't influence Moore.

Moore is the biggest loss perception wise, but not football wise. This isn’t Colin Simmons, who was the number one player at a position of need (at the time). WR has multiple options left in recruiting and maybe the most plentiful position in the portal. Texas has recruited well there and the state pisses out 4/5 star WRs every year. Much bigger need at DT. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Just scrolled 4 pages of this mockery of a thread. Have avoided what I am sure will be 3-4 brutal phone conversations when I return those calls. Just can’t hear any more about the state of incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now. You people are making me healthy. I think I’m going to go play MLB 2024 for a while until my wife makes me rejoin adulthood, hopefully with a Manhattan she’s made, this evening. 

So you going to spill the beans about the “incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now” after the Manhattan, or just keep it to yourself?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Are you and CTJ having phone calls about the “seriously dysfunctional shit going on” that you want to let the rest of us peons in on?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep. I too hope that 5 months from now we end up signing a top 5 class with a signing day flip at DT and we can all look back at where we were in July and laugh. 

I think this is a bigger question at this point. We were calculating a fringe top 5 but included two 5 stars that just committed to Oregon. Mid/late season flips notwithstanding, and Sark has done it every year thus far, is a top 5ish finish still possible? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God, that's who came to mind. 

The fuck are you autists on about? Sark has shown willingness to blow people the fuck out when the game allows it to happen.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Are you and CTJ having phone calls about the “seriously dysfunctional shit going on” that you want to let the rest of us peons in on?

So you going to spill the beans about the “incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now” after the Manhattan, or just keep it to yourself?

I think that CTJ was mocking GoS with that comment.

55 minutes ago, hornian said:

I don’t know shit and I guarantee you I’m the last person ctj is calling.

But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that they’ve got issues among the staff.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think this staff has in prior recruiting classes had several backup options on ready five to handle the stupidity of kids.  We all kind of knew Brown was a very possible exit.  We also kind of knew that everything pointed to Moore to Texas..... Except despite it all pointing here he committed to LSU initially. 

So these two changes are nothing shocking.  When Pettijohn comes in tomorrow and we lose him bc the staff prioritized the USC kid well they sure as hell better get that other kid in.   Until it happens it looks like a cluster fuck and rightfully so.

I would still expect sark to close on several names on the board still like he has in previous years and then flip a player or two at a position of need near the end.  Guess we are all puckering though for now 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This whole board went Satya. 

It's July. Some of yall need to chill the fuck out. Lots will happen between now and December. Still a whole fucking season and national championship to win. 

Many of us, myself included, were expecting full on Death Star this cycle. That felt like a pretty reasonable expectation. We are coming off a playoff appearance and very successful NFL draft, our NIL is top tier, and we’re joining the SEC with a stable coaching staff. How many other programs have so many advantages? You can probably count them on one hand.

That expectation is not being met right now and it’s fair to wonder why. That fact that we’re already hoping for late flips (rare) or portal additions (complete unknown at this point) to save the cycle for us is pretty troubling. 

WR, OT, DT, LB, and DB recruiting all range from “somewhat concerning” to “total dumpster fire” right now. That’s an awful lot of loose ends to tie up in a class, given that a ton of the first tier of targets and visitors are already coming off the board. 

• Hook 'Em 8

I hope Oregon and LSU enjoy the players, CDC and Sark are too busy investing in 529 plans to ensure their children’s’ futures. What’s more important, a 1,000 yard receiver or providing your child’s college tuition? 

Also, it’s simple Moneyball math that you don’t spend top dollar on free agents. Would you rather have a Moore for $1.3 million or the Coleman twins for $0? You could literally have infinite Colemans for free vs. a single receiver. I’ll take my team of infinite free Colemans any day of the week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Moore is the biggest loss perception wise, but not football wise. This isn’t Colin Simmons, who was the number one player at a position of need (at the time). WR has multiple options left in recruiting and maybe the most plentiful position in the portal. Texas has recruited well there and the state pisses out 4/5 star WRs every year. Much bigger need at DT. 

Losing Moore sucks, but we’re loaded at WR and still might sign two 5 star dudes in this class. It sucks, but sucks in about the least way possible losing a guy like that.