Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Did a quick search trying to determine where Texas was ranked at this time last year, the 2024 class. Came up with this article from Hook'em Headlines.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Article published July 2, 2023, By Andrew Miller. Ok. St. Alum.

"The biggest single day on the recruiting trail for Texas football and head coach Steve Sarkisian in the 2024 class thus far occurred on July 1. Texas landed three blue-chip commitments in the span of a few hours on July 1."

"Texas finished a big day on the recruiting trail on July 1 with 11 commitments in the 2024 class. This comes less than one month after Texas had less than half this number of pledges in the 2024 class."

Where Texas’ 2024 class ranks according to the major recruiting services

Here is where Texas stands in the 2024 class according to the major recruiting services (247Sports, Rivals, and On3).

• 247Sports Composite: 29th nationally, 1st in Big 12
  • Rivals: 29th nationally, 1st in Big 12
  • On3: 16th nationally, 1st in Big 12
  • ESPN: TBD (not updated since June 22)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What a bunch of Sky is falling Twits.

https://hookemheadlines.com/2023/07/02/texas-football-where-longhorns-sit-in-2024-recruiting-class-rankings/

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

I am comforted that we do not need DTs. 

I’m not a coach myself but my guess is it’s not easy to stop the run with cheap platitudes. That being said, anyone fretting about losing on a high school wide receiver needs to get some perspective. Ole Miss is about to field one of the best offenses in college football built almost entirely of transfers. NC State is about to do a 180 on offense via the transfer portal. Same with Miami. I personally wouldn’t sign more than 1-2 high school recruits anyway at wide receiver. Let them develop somewhere else and just go sign the best ones every offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not a coach myself but my guess is it’s not easy to stop the run with cheap platitudes. That being said, anyone fretting about losing on a high school wide receiver needs to get some perspective. Ole Miss is about to field one of the best offenses in college football built almost entirely of transfers. NC State is about to do a 180 on offense via the transfer portal. Same with Miami. I personally wouldn’t sign more than 1-2 high school recruits anyway at wide receiver. Let them develop somewhere else and just go sign the best ones every offseason. 

Agree.  Great receivers are a dime a dozen.  Get the DTs!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

this is an epic fucking failure that’s occurring right now in this recruiting class.

Our coaches aren't failing.

This failure is coming from the people trying, and failing, to spearhead our NIL efforts.

People keep posting things to suggest it isn't about money. 

In every case, especially with Moore, it has been about money. 

• Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Game changing wide receivers like X (and supposedly Moore) are not a dime a dozen.  That should be painfully obvious to every Texas fan who's older than 10.

A dime a dozen is not a correct way to describe it. But really good and even elite wide receivers are in the portal every year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Game changing wide receivers like X (and supposedly Moore) are not a dime a dozen.  That should be painfully obvious to every Texas fan who's older than 10.

It’s definitely a loss, but it is not 1 that can not be overcome. Best way to think of it is wins above replacement. Texas can find options to mitigate that loss. You can point to recruits like French/Locket or the portal. Some positions are just more plentiful, than others. WR is arguably the most stacked position in football currently 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Go look at top high school WR recruits over the past few years.  The hit rate of a "game changer" at the top has been pretty low.  Do you want - yeah.  Is it a program set back - no.

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s the word on what the new recruiting staff is supposedly saying that’s getting back to these players and rubbing them the wrong way?  I think the departures in the staff and the replacements not having the experience level is hurting us right now for sure.  

35 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I thought going to the SEC was going to help recruiting.  Seems these kids don’t want to play in the SEC…  Half joking.  

Playing in the SEC was probably a bigger deal before NIL.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Our coaches aren't failing.

This failure is coming from the people trying, and failing, to spearhead our NIL efforts.

People keep posting things to suggest it isn't about money. 

In every case, especially with Moore, it has been about money. 

I Am Broken Too Mental Health GIF by Killswitch Engage

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

We are taking a ass whipping in recruiting over the past week or so

Good thing signing day isn't tomorrow.

We've got plenty of time to get players to reconsider.  How the team, specifically the DTs, performs this season will be key.

All this has to be karma for the baseball saga
Nah, fuck that. If Schloss wanted to stay in aggyland forever he certainly could have done so. Giving aggy blue balls with no happy ending is enough to get a bronze statue there.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Well, we wanted Fasusi and Faraimo more. So, if we lose those 2 then maybe we will circle back around to Pettijohn and Rogers. Seems like a swell strategy.

Bullshit. This is just the excuse of the week that the board has latched on to. Just few days ago it was “Texas has made a move with Lamont Rogers.”

Our 9.95s don’t know shit.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

What a drag. There’s obviously some sort of disconnect or vulnerability going on here. Texas just went to the playoffs, had double digit players drafted, and will debut in the SEC this fall. Yet we’re losing Texas boys to Oregon? BIG10 Football? I don’t give a fuck what month it is, thats lame. Thats gross even. Imagine wanting to play in the cold in some of the most uninspired Midwest venues. Y'all don’t have to try to extinguish every comment posted about it, the football board is available. I am too of the belief that Texas will get theirs by Signing day, but I can also recognize the shortcomings. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

What a drag. There’s obviously some sort of disconnect or vulnerability going on here. Texas just went to the playoffs, had double digit players drafted, and will debut in the SEC this fall. Yet we’re losing Texas boys to Oregon? BIG10 Football? I don’t give a fuck what month it is, thats lame. Thats gross even. Imagine wanting to play in the cold in some of the most uninspired Midwest venues. Y'all don’t have to try to extinguish every comment posted about it, the football board is available. I am too of the belief that Texas will get theirs by Signing day, but I can also recognize the shortcomings. 

Nobody is extinguishing anything. Idiots claiming this is on the NIL structure just get laughed at. Everyone notes there is a problem overall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

In 2017, Texas signed two WR, a 3 star and a 4 star. Neither did shit, really. 
In 2018, Texas signed three 3 star WRs, and they were all very modest contributors. 
In 2019, Texas signed one 5 star (McCoy) that never made it in, three 4 stars (Whittington made it big) and one three star. 
In 2020, Texas signed one 4 star WR and two 3 star WRs, all forgettable. 

Yes, that special, elite WR is absolutely a prize that you would pay a ransom to get. 
Yes, the 9.95s really struggle to ID which of the 200 fast, tall, TD scoring machines that this state produces each year are really special. 
Yes, coaches like Herman can always fill out their class with lots of 4 star WRs to pad their ranking (even though their offense is built around the QB running power inside) and make the boosters feel better. 

Maybe Moore is that special guy, that type that Riley used to always ID for OU. Maybe Hudson was, too, last year. I’m ok with Sark’s approach, going after the best recruits, churning the bottom of the room, and grabbing the guys from the portal that the big schools missed the first time around. 

Now, DT really is a problem we haven’t got a fix on yet. 

Edited by statsman

48 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I’m sure our class will be great. We will get over 

Haywood, Rogers, Fodje, Brooks, Newman

Moore, Wilson

Armstrong, Edwards

Russell 

Davison, Turner

Autry, Hilson, Davis, Charles, Jones

Matai, Pettijohn

Brew, Sanchez, Anding, Williams, Lee

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3