Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

I think Lanning can handle the locker room dynamics better than Jimbos staff. Although he’s got to have his eye on that Florida job. That Miami game week one will be interesting. 
Why would he have an eye on the possible Florida job when he already has a job at a high profile west coast school, not to mention access to uncle Phil's vault?

Instead of rebuilding a floundering Gata he could become legendary as coach of Oregon's first national championship team.

If Lanning was to end up at Florida he would make them relevant again and recruiting difficult there. I think he’d surround himself with good recruiters within that state. Idk what Florida’s NIL is but I’m sure their thirsty for success 

• Like 1

Just now, D3zii said:

If Lanning was to end up at Florida he would make them relevant again and recruiting difficult there. I think he’d surround himself with good recruiters within that state. Idk what Florida’s NIL is but I’m sure their thirsty for success 

Florida really had their guy in Dan Mullen but he was a lazy ass recruiter 

With multiple previous teammates on the Horns roster, I really think the kid just wanted to get out of state and do his own thing. $$$ didn’t hurt in the short term, but maybe he’ll be a portal target for Arch’s Senior year. Come home young man, prior to the NFL.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

With multiple previous teammates on the Horns roster. I really think the kid just wanted to get out of state and do his own thing. $$$ didn’t hurt in the short term, but maybe he’ll be a portal target for Arch’s Senior year. Come home young man, prior to the NFL.

Hook’em!!!

It’s a lot easier to act a foo’ when you don’t have half of your family tree within 10 miles of your ass.

Plus, that NIKE relationship will be plenty strong before he even gets drafted. 
🤷‍♂️

Lanning isn't winning a championship at Oregon and he knows it. Oregon isn't winning a championship, period. Lanning can lose to both fOSU and Michigan, and he certainly isn't making the final 4.

After Gabriel, who is a good but not great QB, he has Dante Moore (who's overrated), Novostad (who the fuck knows), and Will Stein will be gone. That offense ain't gonna look so hot afrer this year. Plus I personally believe Oregon is overrated, anyway. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Lanning isn't winning a championship at Oregon and he knows it. Oregon isn't winning a championship, period. Lanning can lose to both fOSU and Michigan, and he certainly isn't making the final 4.

After Gabriel, who is a good but not great QB, he has Dante Moore (who's overrated), Novostad (who the fuck knows), and Will Stein will be gone. That offense ain't gonna look so hot afrer this year. Plus I personally believe Oregon is overrated, anyway. 

I despise Oregon (and have long before the last couple weeks), but as long as Knight is alive they will be a player.

Edited by TXpride

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Buddy it’s a 12 team playoff.  Also they’re preseason #4

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Rholl said:

Damn you guys act like Moore isnt on his 2nd commitment  and its only July….lets see what happens when the ducks have 4 losses by the end of Nov. 

Committing to a third team is when the chances of a player living up to their potential really start to drop.  It’s a red flag.

Edited by kevwun

On 7/5/2024 at 8:29 AM, Hookem2147 said:

"Dekorien Moore's mom texted Gerry Hamilton this morning and said it was a not money decision, Dakorien felt like it was a better overall situation at Oregon"- Bobby on OTF

Obviously, I wouldn't expect a mother to come out and say it was all about bags, but part of me wonders if the entire family hoping it would be Texas, actually pushed Moore away and made him want to get away from home.

Better overall situation? Lol

Worse offensive scheme. Less WR friendly. Less history with the scheme. Less history of putting WR on the league. Very real chance Will Stein leaves for an actual head coach job before he's on campus. 

I mean just say he felt more comfortable there.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

Worse offensive scheme. Less WR friendly. Less history with the scheme. Less history of putting WR on the league. Very real chance Will Stein leaves for an actual head coach job before he's on campus. 

It would be more believable if she just said my son thinks Texas is too fucking hot and he wants to live somewhere that has lots of rain and legal weed.   Any offensive recruit that doesn't want to come to Texas at this point is kind of baffling unless it's all about the strength of the position depth chart we may have, but depth chart never stops kids from going to Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

The dude giving him the sales pitch there was Evan Stewart who has yet to play a single game for Oregon.  Not exactly a model representation of a player with good culture or habits.  Let just be real here and not beat around the bush.  He got paid and can smoke and party in Oregon.  Hell I’d probably take that trade off when I was 18 and wanted to get away from family too.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Since we like pillaging SMU’s recruiting class, why haven’t we given this guy a look? He has a solid offer list, but I don’t ever remember us even entertaining him. 
https://247sports.com/Player/dramodd-odoms-46128344/

Should probably see what happens with Brooks and Fasusi. Seems like that guy could be someone to circle around to during the season if needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, ousux said:

Why would he have an eye on the possible Florida job when he already has a job at a high profile west coast school, not to mention access to uncle Phil's vault?

Instead of rebuilding a floundering Gata he could become legendary as coach of Oregon's first national championship team.

He turned down Alabama last year. I cannot imagine he would turn down Alabama to hold out for Florida. If he leaves it’s probably for the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He turned down Alabama last year. I cannot imagine he would turn down Alabama to hold out for Florida. If he leaves it’s probably for the NFL. 

He will be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys next season. 

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Florida is probably a better job. I can’t think of a worse situation than following Saban at Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

What a ridiculous post. 

If uncle Phil allows him to leave, sure. There's no reason why Lanning couldn't become the highest paid CFB coach in the country in spite of lack of championships. Jerrah isn't hurting for money, but his little fiefdom is nowhere near the Nike empire.

25 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

If uncle Phil allows him to leave, sure. There's no reason why Lanning couldn't become the highest paid CFB coach in the country in spite of lack of championships. Jerrah isn't hurting for money, but his little fiefdom is nowhere near the Nike empire.

But, coaches do leave Oregon. Kelly left (for the NFL), Helfrich was fired, Taggert left for FSU and Cristobal left for Miami. Sure, each had their understandable reason (alma mater, NFL), but the point remains- since Bellotti was pushed aside, the Oregon job hasn’t been so fucking great that nobody wants to give it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

But, coaches do leave Oregon. Kelly left (for the NFL), Helfrich was fired, Taggert left for FSU and Cristobal left for Miami. Sure, each had their understandable reason (alma mater, NFL), but the point remains- since Bellotti was pushed aside, the Oregon job hasn’t been so fucking great that nobody wants to give it up. 

Oregon is aa stepping stone not a destination. The head coaches that have been hired there prove that.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Oregon is aa stepping stone not a destination. The head coaches that have been hired there prove that.

That was in pre NIL days when it was really tough to get big, fast, strong black kids to go to school way out there in cold lilly white land. 

Now they're successfully money whipping the best talent in Texas. As long as they can do that it's a destination job. We need to stop harping on tropes that existed pre 2021. That era is gone and the whole landscape has changed. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That was in pre NIL days when it was really tough to get big, fast, strong black kids to go to school way out there in cold lilly white land. 

Now they're successfully money whipping the best talent in Texas. As long as they can do that it's a destination job. We need to stop harping on tropes that existed pre 2021. That era is gone and the whole landscape has changed. 

Chip Kelly recruited a lot of urban kids from California and Texas when he was up there

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Oregon is a stepping stone job until it isn't. If you look at their scedule and their roster, they have a real shot of making the semifinals. They are a legit title contender. If Lanning wins it all there, everything changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So Sark tweeted out the Texas motto "The pride and winning tradition of the University of Texas...etc"

Does this mean some heads are gonna roll on his staff? Maybe a dig at the players who committed elsewhere? I really don't know what to make of it.

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

So Sark tweeted out the Texas motto "The pride and winning tradition of the University of Texas...etc"

Does this mean some heads are gonna roll on his staff? Maybe a dig at the players who committed elsewhere? I really don't know what to make of it.

How about the obvious answer?  He's pumping up Phillips.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Chip Kelly recruited a lot of urban kids from California and Texas when he was up there

Willie Lyles was his bagman in Texas.

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Johnson, Townsend and Hines pushing back their announcements due to Beryl, per OTF.

Johnson now set to announce the 10th. Townsend and Hines the 11th.

Per OTF, Sark has heavily re-engaged with Kelshaun Johnson and Chris Jackson with Tanook Hines.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Oregon is a stepping stone job until it isn't. If you look at their scedule and their roster, they have a real shot of making the semifinals. They are a legit title contender. If Lanning wins it all there, everything changes. 

When has their football coach left for another college job?  I think it’s a top 12ish job and you’re not leaving it for Florida.  I think it’s a better job than UW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

When has their football coach left for another college job?  I think it’s a top 12ish job and you’re not leaving it for Florida.  I think it’s a better job than UW

Did you not read a few posts above your reply?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Did you not read a few posts above your reply?

You think Miami is a better program than Oregon? 
 Got me on taggart though he was 7-5 and has proven to be ass

but yea I guess Shaka left us for marquette.  

helfrich was fired so yea I guess that’s “leaving.”  And chip left for the nfl.  

Edited by closetohumping

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You think Miami is a better program than Oregon? 

thought taggart was run out of town but yea I guess Shaka left us for marquette

When has their football coach left for another college job?

So, now you're moving the goalposts?

There was nothing about Miami being a better program, or running Taggert out of town.

image.png.63dd2db7648fe3042eeccb0adec92798.png

42 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

How many national championships has Oregon won in their history? They have won 2 conf titles in the last decade.

I'll wait for you to go do the research.

They have had one coach since 1950 retire there and that was a guy who went 21-20 every other one went elsewhere or was fired.

Their current upward trend post Kelly leaving has a ton to do with Knight NIL money. They are going to be traveling a ton over the next few years and end up with games like @Wisconsin in November or @Penn state late in the year. Let's see them win anything 

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Their last two coaches left for a job in Florida. Including one who won a conf title and left.

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

How many national championships has Oregon won in their history?

Obviously, you are correct. What happened decades will factor into Oregon's potential for success this year exponentially more so than their current coaches or roster. If they beat Ohio State & Michigan and go undefeated into the B1G title game, they will do so knowing that the playoff committee likely won't let them into the playoffs because of what Oregon football did in the 50s & 60s. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

How many national championships has Oregon won in their history? They have won 2 conf titles in the last decade.

I'll wait for you to go do the research.

They have had one coach since 1950 retire there and that was a guy who went 21-20 every other one went elsewhere or was fired.

Their current upward trend post Kelly leaving has a ton to do with Knight NIL money. They are going to be traveling a ton over the next few years and end up with games like @Wisconsin in November or @Penn state late in the year. Let's see them win anything 

Their last two coaches left for a job in Florida. Including one who won a conf title and left.

3 in the last ten years?  Probably similar to what we’ve accomplished in that span?  Nine top 15 finishes since  2009? It’s a top ten job. They’re rich. Kids like their uniforms and they have great facilities.  

Top 6 job?

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

successfully money whipping the best talent in Texas

A&M did the same thing, how did that go? It isn't a destination job, Fact, there is no fucking evidence to support otherwise. When the splurging disappears, and it will at some point, Oregon will go right back where it was and has been, occasionally relevant.

• Hook 'Em 1