Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

31 minutes ago, cb866 said:

Serious question: Is Oregon directly targeting us? Or is it just "The Samples Effect" that brings them into Texas? I know they've done ok here before with bagmen but... Random conclusion: This again points to how overrated our recruiting efforts are since we cannot consistently lock down Texas. I understand losing some traditionally to OU (success on the field) and Aggy occasionally ($$ and proximity) but between Alabama during the Saban years, Bucky Buckeye since Urban, LSU and the waves of Katrina kids, and now Oregon it just feels like something is missing from our program. My stupid guess is that the ATX has gotten too big and annoying to deal with for some. The fact that Aggy is even recruiting at a decent tick right now (better than us? Maybe) might point to that. Elko has no skins on the wall as a HC (mediocre at Duke only) and they're constantly a laughing stock culturally.

I hate the "late flip" mentality of our last three coaches. Mack's "commit early" approach also sucked at the end, but part of that was laziness in evaluations.

beavis.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Junior Bonner said:

What’s the announcement time for Cunningham? TIA. 

48 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

6p C, I think

47 minutes ago, Victor R. Franko said:

I saw somewhere 2:00 central. I can't find link to live stream. Who knows, meh.

6:30 PM Central time.  YouTube, Rivals.

Times have changed man. Folks don’t make fun of freaks anymore. The kids are pretty progressive too. As long as they have a chance to start on a well coached unit, they don’t care about cults or neurodivergent alternative cheer squadrons. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cb866 said:

Serious question: Is Oregon directly targeting us? Or is it just "The Samples Effect" that brings them into Texas? I know they've done ok here before with bagmen but... Random conclusion: This again points to how overrated our recruiting efforts are since we cannot consistently lock down Texas. I understand losing some traditionally to OU (success on the field) and Aggy occasionally ($$ and proximity) but between Alabama during the Saban years, Bucky Buckeye since Urban, LSU and the waves of Katrina kids, and now Oregon it just feels like something is missing from our program. My stupid guess is that the ATX has gotten too big and annoying to deal with for some. The fact that Aggy is even recruiting at a decent tick right now (better than us? Maybe) might point to that. Elko has no skins on the wall as a HC (mediocre at Duke only) and they're constantly a laughing stock culturally.

I hate the "late flip" mentality of our last three coaches. Mack's "commit early" approach also sucked at the end, but part of that was laziness in evaluations.

Oregon has been recruiting Texas for years. Hell, they had very productive players from Texas on their BCS runner-up squad in January, 2011 (2010 season).

High school recruits in class from Texas:

2024: 1

2023: 6

2022: 1

2021: 1

There could also be increased overlap for a few reasons.

• Both Texas and Oregon NIL are top-tier. Naturally, that's going to create some NIL-driven recruiting battles.
  • Both schools heavily recruit CA (Sharma this year, among others).
  • Texas stole Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams (among others) from them. Maybe they're tired of losing recruits to Texas and have the NIL to combat some of that.

However, I don't think Oregon is "directly targeting" Texas, per se. Maybe I'm wrong. They probably just want to win recruitments in Texas. It's an obvious part of their recruiting strategy. With Uncle Phil's NIL and Samples now on staff, they're posed to compete more in Texas in pursuit of that strategy. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6:30 PM Central time.  YouTube, Rivals.

I saw somewhere 2:00 central. I can't find link to live stream. Who knows, meh.

6p C, I think

I’m starting to think our recruiting staff posts on Surly…
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Times have changed man. Folks don’t make fun of freaks anymore. The kids are pretty progressive too. As long as they have a chance to start on a well coached unit, they don’t care about cults or neurodivergent alternative cheer squadrons. 

I don’t disagree, but what the hell is this in reference to?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Amazes me we are in 2024 and there are still people who judge recruiting efforts based on “locking down Texas”.

Im assuming those people would have preferred Ory Williams over Brandon Baker last cycle and some 3-star safety from Texas over Derek Williams in 2023.

Maybe there is a lineman at Lake Travis in a wheelchair we can take over Nick Brooks this cycle.

Agreed. I think the only school that could plausibly do it is LSU with an Oeaux type HC. And even then, Oeaux recruited a lot of OOS players. 

I don’t want to disrespect the young man by comparing him to an Aggy, but Cunningham reminds me Edgerrin Cooper. Long and physical linebacker who can play in space. I don’t see Nansen’s vision with Faraimo, maybe I’m still in a Big12 mindset. He just looks like another maxed out HS inside linebacker that will be pushing 260 by the time he sees the field. Would we put him at edge? 

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t want to disrespect the young man by comparing him to an Aggy, but Cunningham reminds me Edgerrin Cooper. Long and physical linebacker who can play in space. I don’t see Nansen’s vision with Faraimo, maybe I’m still in a Big12 mindset. He just looks like another maxed out HS inside linebacker that will be pushing 260 by the time he sees the field. Would we put him at edge? 

I think you are confused by the name. He was playing safety not too long ago.

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

When he was 14/15 years old. He grew out the position pretty quick. 

a year ago. but in any case, he is projected to ILB and edge in certain formations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

Excited Sarcasm GIF by The Challenge

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng

Dude, when we move down the leader board feel free to complain. When we hit on our primary targets, you can assume that we got someone you should be excited about. Cunningham, Faraimo, Pettijohn, Barnes, Matai and maybe Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng were all primary targets.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who are you typing about and what are your sources?

Our ILB target - Faraimo - GA

https://247sports.com/player/madden-faraimo-46133421/

Played safety as a freshman and sophomore before growing in to a linebacker as a junior and that’s where he’ll play in college as well. Big 6-3, 215 pound frame and shows the ability to play sideline to sideline at inside ‘backer or line up as an edge rusher in passing situations. Brings a lot of positional versatility to the table and could play any of the ‘backer positions or grow in to a full time edge rusher in college. Plays with plenty of quick twitch, moves well laterally and shows good instincts. Is comfortable dropping in coverage and has flashed solid cover skills in various 7v7 settings. With his frame, toughness and athleticism, his upside is very high and he has the ability to be an impact player from day one in college.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

We've wanted this kid from the jump. #3 LB on the board in a 3 LB class. 

A bit pedantic - he’s the #3 LB take but #5 at best when it comes to the board after Barnes, Faraimo, Pettijohn, and the Cali guy that committed to USC

A grab bag of notes and developments that may have some impact on Texas recruiting:

1)  Daylan McCutcheon just committed to FSU.  Seemed to be on the radar as a #3/#4 or backup WR candidate, so FYI.
2) 5* WR Caleb Cunningham committed to Alabama today. Does that affect Kaliq Lockett, wrt Bama, his suposed #2 school?  If we think Lockett's okay w/ joining Ffrench in a Texas class, maybe he's okay with this WRT to Bama, but who knows.  (Yeah, yeah, Kaliq knows.)  Also, the timing of Cunningham's commitment was not known, as of a few days ago ... again, not sure if that indicates anything.
Here's what the BAMA 247 guy said a few days ago, re: Lockett.
"Quick Hitter: "Not a whole lot new" was what Bama247 was told when speaking with a source close to Lockett's recruitment on Thursday afternoon. Bama247 last reported before the Fourth of July holiday that the biggest storyline to follow in the five-star receiver's recruitment would be which school or schools would get a visit during the last week of July. The Crimson Tide still appears to be right in the thick of it along with Texas and his other finalists. Sources continue to feel like this is an Alabama-Texas battle down the stretch. It is worth noting that the Longhorns missed out on their top receiver and fellow in-state target Dakorien Moore to Oregon. One source also told Bama247 they wouldn't be surprised if Lockett got back to Tuscaloosa (Ala.) and Austin (Tx.) between the end of Dead Period (July 24) and before his decision."
3)  Re: Jaime Ffrench, Scruggs (Horns 247) had said a few day ago that he thought Miami was actually his #2 school.
Here's what the Miami 247 guy said re: Ffffffff. 
"The Hurricanes are still involved with five-star Jaime Ffrench but this is a recruitment that's seen plenty of twists and turns. Miami will keep working but I do not believe that anything drastic has changed recently. This recruitment has been a rollercoaster ride of perceived leaders, so until Ffrench makes his decision I expect there will be plenty more to come out of his high-profile recruitment."
4) Re: Madden Faraimo, Blair Angulo (247 West Coast guy) posted a note.  I'll just post the note separately, but the net is - it still suggests a commitment soon (pre-season) is still a possibility, but he again says good things about Texas. (" ...  opened my eyes during the official." " ... I loved everything.")

As many others have said, the CliffsNotes on these updates you provide are appreciated.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

A bit pedantic - he’s the #3 LB take but #5 at best when it comes to the board after Barnes, Faraimo, Pettijohn, and the Cali guy that committed to USC

For sure, but he's been recruited from the start as the third guy that's going to be ok not being The Man in the class.

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For sure, but he's been recruited from the start as the third guy that's going to be ok not being The Man in the class.

I believe Gerry said Nansen had  recruited him at Arizona. Nansen must see something he likes. They only brought in 4 LBs and he was one of them 

• Hook 'Em 1

The ideal 3 man LB class always seemed to be Pettijohn, Barnes and Cunningham. Barnes, Faraimo and Cunningham would still be very much acceptable.

Maybe it doesn’t fully pay off this cycle but Nansen seems like a plus recruiter and big asset on the west coast as we try to expand our footprint there.

• Hook 'Em 2