Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

1 hour ago, Hornmatic said:

On today’s coffee and football they were praising Jaylon Guilbeau and Gerry said he “carries a chip on his shoulder like all the golden triangle guys — save one.”

This is at least the third time I’ve heard him go out of his way to say this. I’ve racked my brain, who’s the softee from the golden triangle? 

Just a wild guess - Jaylen Garth?

7 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

On today’s coffee and football they were praising Jaylon Guilbeau and Gerry said he “carries a chip on his shoulder like all the golden triangle guys — save one.”

This is at least the third time I’ve heard him go out of his way to say this. I’ve racked my brain, who’s the softee from the golden triangle? 

Jimmy Johnson

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

Gerry Hamilton said it looks like Utah at the moment.

He also said we are all in on Jonah Williams.

If he somehow didn't play MLB, he would probably end up at LB.

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

If he somehow didn't play MLB, he would probably end up at LB.

You know it, I know it, everyone but Jonah knows it.

So we are recruiting him as a safety and possibly driving off a legitimate safety, hoping that Jonah doesn't play MLB and doesn't end up at LB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

So we are recruiting him as a safety and possibly driving off a legitimate safety, hoping that Jonah doesn't play MLB and doesn't end up at LB.

He’s not going pro he’s going to be playing baseball/football for Texas. 

17 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I don't think that's fully accurate regarding Tilmon. They're not pushing him away. He seems to regard Utah as the better fit. 

Utah is a funny school in terms of the way they recruit. A lot of guys they land have bigger brand options and still choose to go there and often stick. Not always, of course, but it seems like that's the case more often than not. I do like that Texas and Utah are on some of the same guys. Utah evaluates really well, in my opinion.

As to Jonah Williams, I have made my arguments for why I think he's a candidate to be a bust or non-entity in college. He's going to ultimately be a LB if he'll let himself grow out. Many people think he could be an excellent LB. That's what drove his early rankings. He comes back later and tells the services and the coaches that he's a safety and that won't be changing. He's also not in love with football. And he's an MLB risk. 

So there are a lot of red flags there. If he doesn't cost a program a ton of money (but he probably will), he's a quality lottery ticket. He will boost hype and rankings of the class, which helps the overall class, and he could well wind up spinning to the right position and discovering that he can make millions there. There are worse takes with that in mind. 

• Hook 'Em 7

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think that's fully accurate regarding Tilmon. They're not pushing him away. He seems to regard Utah as the better fit. 

Utah is a funny school in terms of the way they recruit. A lot of guys they land have bigger brand options and still choose to go there and often stick. Not always, of course, but it seems like that's the case more often than not. I do like that Texas and Utah are on some of the same guys. Utah evaluates really well, in my opinion.

As to Jonah Williams, I have made my arguments for why I think he's a candidate to be a bust or non-entity in college. He's going to ultimately be a LB if he'll let himself grow out. Many people think he could be an excellent LB. That's what drove his early rankings. He comes back later and tells the services and the coaches that he's a safety and that won't be changing. He's also not in love with football. And he's an MLB risk. 

So there are a lot of red flags there. If he doesn't cost a program a ton of money (but he probably will), he's a quality lottery ticket. He will boost hype and rankings of the class, which helps the overall class, and he could well wind up spinning to the right position and discovering that he can make millions there. There are worse takes with that in mind. 

I'm all for taking a flier on the guy if he positively impacts recruiting overall on the defensive side of the ball. However, if he doesn't help bring in anyone else of significance and ties up needed NIL money, those aren't great ramifications of a commitment to Texas.

He's gifted enough to provide true impact for football and/or baseball. I'm skeptical he'll be able to do both at a highly effective level (although, since he doesn't play QB as many pitchers do, maybe he can), but I'm even more skeptical he'll forgo the MLB draft - especially with his pitching potential as a LHP.

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'm all for taking a flier on the guy if he positively impacts recruiting overall on the defensive side of the ball. However, if he doesn't help bring in anyone else of significance and ties up needed NIL money, those aren't great ramifications of a commitment to Texas.

He's gifted enough to provide true impact for football and/or baseball. I'm skeptical he'll be able to do both at a highly effective level (although, since he doesn't play QB as many pitchers do, maybe he can), but I'm even more skeptical he'll forgo the MLB draft - especially with his pitching potential as a LHP.

Who do you want him to bring in?

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Who do you want him to bring in?

I don't know. I was just responding to this portion of CTJ's post:

"So there are a lot of red flags there. If he doesn't cost a program a ton of money (but he probably will), he's a quality lottery ticket. He will boost hype and rankings of the class, which helps the overall class"

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What's interesting to me in this situation is that Whittingham has flat out said he won't be there that much longer and they've named Scalley the successor. Obviously we've seen coaches stay beyond what was expected after naming a HCIW but surely that has an effect on some recruits?

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

What's interesting to me in this situation is that Whittingham has flat out said he won't be there that much longer and they've named Scalley the successor. Obviously we've seen coaches stay beyond what was expected after naming a HCIW but surely that has an effect on some recruits?

Scalley is the mastermind on defense and has been there forever (in part thanks to his loose lips in texts / team meetings). Shouldn't change much of anything there.