Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

9 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Lockett's play reminds me of Garrett Wilson. Fantastic get!

If we're going crazy I'm going to put out to the universe that he's a combo of Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Throw him in the weight room, feed him through a tube while sleeping, then send that guy out there to fuck start anyone's head who gets in his way. 

And Ffrench can be Julio Jones and DK Metcalf with a little AJ Brown sprinkled in. We don't need RBs anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If we're going crazy I'm going to put out to the universe that he's a combo of Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Throw him in the weight room, feed him through a tube while sleeping, then send that guy out there to fuck start anyone's head who gets in his way. 

And Ffrench can be Julio Jones and DK Metcalf with a little AJ Brown sprinkled in. We don't need RBs anymore. 

I mean it's not that outlandish for a 5 star receiver to get compared to another 5 star receiver

53 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

LOL - I meant in HS - Wilson was described the same way - not the biggest, not the fastest, but strong hands, great timing and jumping ability - ran really good routes and just had all the intangibles of playing the position. He was a steady 4.6 guy in HS who never ran faster than an 11 sec 100M. No idea where the 4.3 speed came from at the combine.  Also, similar height and weight to Lockett in HS. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

LOL - I meant in HS - Wilson was described the same way - not the biggest, not the fastest, but strong hands, great timing and jumping ability - ran really good routes and just had all the intangibles of playing the position. He was a steady 4.6 guy in HS who never ran faster than an 11 sec 100M. No idea where the 4.3 speed came from at the combine.  Also, similar height and weight to Lockett in HS. 

That would be absolutely amazing if he even remotely resembles Wilson. I'm still a little petty about Herman being a dumbass. That, and Smith-Njigba. I want to rage now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Steve Wiltfong, on 5 stars that Texas is contending for and that are expected to announce in August (Fasusi, Terry, Ffrench, Jonah Williams).

Fasusi:  Confidence in Austin, but don't sleep on Oklahoma and A&M (reiterated that A&M is in it).  No real pick, but we're in it as much as anyone else is.

Terry:  If forced to pick, would go with Texas;  Oregon and Nebraska are the others, Nebraska doing a good job.

Ffrench:  Texas was leading, then Ffrench went to LSU and Miami.  Confidence in Coral Gables.  Need to make some calls to check if Texas still leads.

Jonah Williams:  Texas and LSU at the top;  Texas best guess today.

How would he rank them in order of likelihood of Texas landing them?  Well, far be it for me to deny you all the pleasure of a pic of the dickhead.  Interesting order.

image.png.efa21c4dd14fe9cdab4e2f5f0cb60992.png

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ve heard the mental eval for Sanders is questionable at best, but we backed ourselves into a corner with the results of other DT recruitments and had to hope for a wildcard recruitment to go our way.

Lots of eggs in the flip basket of Myron Charles.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ve heard the mental eval for Sanders is questionable at best, but we backed ourselves into a corner with the results of other DT recruitments and had to hope for a wildcard recruitment to go our way.

Lots of eggs in the flip basket of Myron Charles.

I don't know your sources and I don't care. I'm taking your word for it. Where do I send money?

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

bama and georgia recruit huge nasty highly-ranked animals to play at d-tackle.  sark’s failure to do so makes me question whether or not he is capable of being a head coach. 

I hear Baxter was playing DT when he got hurt.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

bama and georgia recruit huge nasty highly-ranked animals to play at d-tackle.  sark’s failure to do so makes me question whether or not he is capable of being a head coach. 

Biden Chair GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well he's far from the top of our board so it's hard to care too much. But we definitely need numbers at this point. Should make Sims easier to flip, so that's something I guess.

The good news is that we should get a bunch of renewed interest as the season progresses and we might be able to find some new prospects. The other good news is that a lot of our staff will be able to help out in recruiting DTs. The bad news is that we probably will have to wait and hope and prioritize through NIL. And the other bad news is that it will probably take more of a team effort to bring in DTs.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well he's far from the top of our board so it's hard to care too much. But we definitely need numbers at this point. Should make Sims easier to flip, so that's something I guess.

Wasn't Sims the guy we didn't bring in? 

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

To everything turn, turn turn
There is a season turn turn turn
And a time to every purpose under Heaven

To turn, turn will be our delight

'Til by turning, turning we come round right

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s only been here less than a year but I’m just about done with Baker. I’m all for giving a coach time to recruit well, and less than a year isn’t enough time typically.

But to completely flop on all but one DT candidate (who you had to flip back) is a stunning lack of success. I can’t recall a coach that not only didn’t recruit well the first year, but lost so many potential recruits that had Texas in their top few. I wonder if there really is an issue with Baker or just the unfortunate luck of Davis at LSU, etc. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He’s only been here less than a year but I’m just about done with Baker. I’m all for giving a coach time to recruit well, and less than a year isn’t enough time typically.

But to completely flop on all but one DT candidate (who you had to flip back) is a stunning lack of success. I can’t recall a coach that not only didn’t recruit well the first year, but lost so many potential recruits that had Texas in their top few. I wonder if there really is an issue with Baker or just the unfortunate luck of Davis at LSU, etc. 

He hasn't even had his first signing class at Texas yet. It just might be a little early to pass judgement on the guy. He hasn't lost any potential recruits to other programs "yet".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He hasn't even had his first signing class at Texas yet. It just might be a little early to pass judgement on the guy. He hasn't lost any potential recruits to other programs "yet".

Hence why I said “just about”. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We’ve been through this and there are many reasons why DT recruiting is on Sarkisian, Banks, and Harris. The first two have turned some position coaches into order takers and they’re picking the targets. Then Harris has seriously mishandled the work with the recruits’ camps and understanding what it takes to actually land these guys. 

That said, I have a very hard time not looking at the Sanders recruitment and absolutely seeing it as a Kenny Baker failure. No one handcuffed that recruitment. Do we find out more in a bit? Did ATM get wild here and Texas either wasn’t ready again or just decided it wasn’t worth it? Does that absolve the position coach from whiffing on this softball? 

I have been adamant that this recruit is a project and I’d be happy to see him going elsewhere. He’s built like a cupcake stuck on top of two toothpicks. He’s soft as Charmin. So, sure, ATM, go make some hay. 

Passing on Sims and Derry, two better prospects than Sanders who had Texas at the top of their list was fucking dumb. Are those guys All SEC candidates if they come to Texas? Maybe. Can they project well as quality depth? Yes they can.

So maybe deciding that through sheer will of the recruiting leadership that the program will just fall ass backwards into 3-4 of the absolute best DT candidates in the country with an 80% close rate wasn’t a great strategy. Maybe go get some guys projecting a notch below that who could also develop if the DL coach is as awesome as advertised and not subject the program to either wild ass final days/weeks ahead of signing day that may or may not work out or the dice roll of pursuing the 1-3 awesome DTs that enter the portal and will cost seven figures for certain. 

Now we are on the same page. Agree 100%

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We’ve been through this and there are many reasons why DT recruiting is on Sarkisian, Banks, and Harris. The first two have turned some position coaches into order takers and they’re picking the targets. Then Harris has seriously mishandled the work with the recruits’ camps and understanding what it takes to actually land these guys. 

That said, I have a very hard time not looking at the Sanders recruitment and absolutely seeing it as a Kenny Baker failure. No one handcuffed that recruitment. Do we find out more in a bit? Did ATM get wild here and Texas either wasn’t ready again or just decided it wasn’t worth it? Does that absolve the position coach from whiffing on this softball? 

I have been adamant that this recruit is a project and I’d be happy to see him going elsewhere. He’s built like a cupcake stuck on top of two toothpicks. He’s soft as Charmin. So, sure, ATM, go make some hay. 

Passing on Sims and Derry, two better prospects than Sanders who had Texas at the top of their list was fucking dumb. Are those guys All SEC candidates if they come to Texas? Maybe. Can they project well as quality depth? Yes they can.

So maybe deciding that through sheer will of the recruiting leadership that the program will just fall ass backwards into 3-4 of the absolute best DT candidates in the country with an 80% close rate wasn’t a great strategy. Maybe go get some guys projecting a notch below that who could also develop if the DL coach is as awesome as advertised and not subject the program to either wild ass final days/weeks ahead of signing day that may or may not work out or the dice roll of pursuing the 1-3 awesome DTs that enter the portal and will cost seven figures for certain. 

Can we circle back on this guy later on in the season?

https://www.on3.com/db/xavier-ukponu-176202/

Is he any good?

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just looked at his film. No, he is not good. He is undersized and has a slow first step.

Sims is way better. Once you get past the obvious names (Charles, Wynn, Williams, Brown), Sims is who they should be focusing their flip efforts on.

A Sharma/Charles/Sims 3-man class would be acceptable in my eyes with a 4th guy if it makes sense or just use that spot for the portal.

The 2025 DT class was never going to be the solution for the 2025 DT depth chart. The portal was always going to be the primary source in plugging those holes. But a solid 2025 DT haul would be a good first step in trying to get us out of the cycle of seemingly needing 4 quality DT's every damn year out of pure necessity. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sims is way better. Once you get past the obvious names (Charles, Wynn, Williams, Brown), Sims is who they should be focusing their flip efforts on.

A Sharma/Charles/Sims 3-man class would be acceptable in my eyes with a 4th guy if it makes sense or just use that spot for the portal.

The 2025 DT class was never going to be the solution for the 2025 DT depth chart. The portal was always going to be the primary source in plugging those holes. But a solid 2025 DT haul would be a good first step in trying to get us out of the cycle of seemingly needing 4 quality DT's every damn year out of pure necessity. 

Acceptable? That’s a really good class before you even consider the circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 5