Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He’s built like a cupcake stuck on top of two toothpicks. He’s soft as Charmin. So, sure, ATM, go make some hay.

Billy Liucci - who indubitably has Watched. That. Tape - has a slightly different description:

image.thumb.png.2dcd276f7ed30e8a3d2c3f70d7c96842.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sims is way better. Once you get past the obvious names (Charles, Wynn, Williams, Brown), Sims is who they should be focusing their flip efforts on.

A Sharma/Charles/Sims 3-man class would be acceptable in my eyes with a 4th guy if it makes sense or just use that spot for the portal.

The 2025 DT class was never going to be the solution for the 2025 DT depth chart. The portal was always going to be the primary source in plugging those holes. But a solid 2025 DT haul would be a good first step in trying to get us out of the cycle of seemingly needing 4 quality DT's every damn year out of pure necessity. 

You are a tough person to please, man. Sims/Charles/Sharma would be outstanding. That’s prayer-level shit at this point in time, though. 

As to solutions for a position group for a next season, in truth, everyone has that issue somewhere. Notre Dame is playing their 3rd transfer QB in 4 seasons due to similar issues, as an example. Texas has pieces for 2025 already and Sharma is as good as anyone could hope heading towards that season a freshman. Even one more dude of high quality decompresses needs given the portal. 

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Billy Liucci - who indubitably has Watched. That. Tape - has a slightly different description:

image.thumb.png.b552b047c4ffdd0f6146d65e2e4bc95e.png

How many of you have watched the guy play? Liucci is the aggie hobo version of Geoff Ketchum. He has an uncanny ability to be completely wrong on everything with his program and has a loyal customer base constantly cheering him on as he does so. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

He’s only been here less than a year but I’m just about done with Baker. I’m all for giving a coach time to recruit well, and less than a year isn’t enough time typically.

But to completely flop on all but one DT candidate (who you had to flip back) is a stunning lack of success. I can’t recall a coach that not only didn’t recruit well the first year, but lost so many potential recruits that had Texas in their top few. I wonder if there really is an issue with Baker or just the unfortunate luck of Davis at LSU, etc. 

Not too mention he wanted to recruit more players at the position and was told no by Sarkisian.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You are a tough person to please, man. Sims/Charles/Sharma would be outstanding. That’s prayer-level shit at this point in time, though. 

As to solutions for a position group for a next season, in truth, everyone has that issue somewhere. Notre Dame is playing their 3rd transfer QB in 4 seasons due to similar issues, as an example. Texas has pieces for 2025 already and Sharma is as good as anyone could hope heading towards that season a freshman. Even one more dude of high quality decompresses needs given the portal. 

How many of you have watched the guy play? Liucci is the aggie hobo version of Geoff Ketchum. He has an uncanny ability to be completely wrong on everything with his program and has a loyal customer base constantly cheering him on as he does so. 

Boisterous blowhards often get ahead. If you constantly shout stupid things loudly enough, many rubes will mistake your confidence for the truth. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Look, man, if you've got a problem with my posting behavior, just put me on ignore let's move on without all of the personal attacks. Geez.

Guess I should have isolated the graph about Billy and Geoff when I quoted you, lest anyone mistakenly think I was aiming that remark at you. 🤣

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

He’s only been here less than a year but I’m just about done with Baker. I’m all for giving a coach time to recruit well, and less than a year isn’t enough time typically.

But to completely flop on all but one DT candidate (who you had to flip back) is a stunning lack of success. I can’t recall a coach that not only didn’t recruit well the first year, but lost so many potential recruits that had Texas in their top few. I wonder if there really is an issue with Baker or just the unfortunate luck of Davis at LSU, etc. 

Stan Drayton started with toneil carter, daniel young, keaontay ingram and derrian brown in his first 3 years. He then landed Bijan. We just have to wait till 2027 and baker will land us the next aaron donald. 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Stan Drayton started with toneil carter, daniel young, keaontay ingram and derrian brown in his first 3 years. He then landed Bijan. We just have to wait till 2027 and baker will land us the next aaron donald. 

He just needs some meat on the resume.  If you were a top 2025 DT recruit, you'd probably be leery of committing to an unknown too.  Why take that chance with your future when you have the option to be coached by someone with more skins on the wall.  Yes, he put a couple guys into the League at Western Kentucky, but he needs to show he can produce in the SEC.

We'll know a lot more after the season.  

In thinking about how much of the fault for the DT situation is Baker vs Sark/Harris/Other, how is recruiting going in other less glamorous positions (lb, s, etc). Were there a solid list of backups and did they land some of them?  

I’m not sure I can answer that question accurately. And again, I recognize Baker’s new. That is very likely part (all?) of the issue. 

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He just needs some meat on the resume.  If you were a top 2025 DT recruit, you'd probably be leery of committing to an unknown too.  Why take that chance with your future when you have the option to be coached by someone with more skins on the wall.  Yes, he put a couple guys into the League at Western Kentucky, but he needs to show he can produce in the SEC.

We'll know a lot more after the season.  

I think it’s 100% this. The questions then are why Sark chose to take that risk in a crucial recruiting year at the position, and why aren’t we helping Baker out more with big NIL? 

On the second question, seems like maybe we did at the end of the day with Sharma. Maybe they thought Sanders wasn’t worth it. 

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think it’s 100% this. The questions then are why Sark chose to take that risk in a crucial recruiting year at the position, and why aren’t we helping Baker out more with big NIL? 

On the second question, seems like maybe we did at the end of the day with Sharma. Maybe they thought Sanders wasn’t worth it. 

I don't know if we are or not, but if I'm going to through big money at a DT, I'm waiting and doing right before they sign. Those guys seem to really like the last minute NIL dance and flip.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bo Davis had meat on the bone and still struggled recruiting the position....

True, but my understanding is that he's just not a good recruiter in general.  I don't know whether that's because of his personality or just unwillingness to put in the effort.

I don't think that's Baker's issue... seems like recruits give him high marks as a recruiter, they just end up committing elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The questions then are why Sark chose to take that risk in a crucial recruiting year at the position

To be fair, Davis leaving on Jan 10th for LSU didn't give Sark a ton of options, or time before the start of Spring practice.

Based on my reading of CTJ's posts, it sounds like letting Glasscock leave and replacing him with Harris was a much worse decision.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Based on my reading of CTJ's posts, it sounds like letting Glasscock leave and replacing him with Harris was a much worse decision.

They promoted some other dude (name escapes me) to take Glasscock's Director of Player Personnel position. Harris bypassed that spot and went straight to the top of the pyramid when the GM role was created.

Harris' current position seems to be more geared towards the overall management of the recruiting team, strategy, and knowing and dealing with the deci$ion makers as opposed to sitting in the film room watching portal prospects like a player personnel person might. The roles of GM and DPP seem to be pretty different. Now, is Harris fit for either of those roles? That is a fair argument.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not to get too high or too low, these guys aren't in the book until December, right? As far as I know, there aren't any enforceable contracts being signed, are there? We find the right RBs and take care of bidness, I'm guessing recruiting will work out just fine.

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Not to get too high or too low, these guys aren't in the book until December, right? As far as I know, there aren't any enforceable contracts being signed, are there? We find the right RBs and take care of bidness, I'm guessing recruiting will work out just fine.

Well we do have our RBs already in the class...

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They promoted some other dude (name escapes me) to take Glasscock's Director of Player Personnel position. Harris bypassed that spot and went straight to the top of the pyramid when the GM role was created.

Harris' current position seems to be more geared towards the overall management of the recruiting team, strategy, and knowing and dealing with the deci$ion makers as opposed to sitting in the film room watching portal prospects like a player personnel person might. The roles of GM and DPP seem to be pretty different. Now, is Harris fit for either of those roles? That is a fair argument.

Glasscock would have been GM here had Sark not decided to let him go. It's the exact same position Ole Miss gave him, and Glasscock already had a heavy hand in NIL management for the roster before the GM role was created.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Speaking of those who that's a name I haven't heard in awhile, who was that kid from Texas that committed to Bama that went Juco and blew up into what can only be considered so fat he had a gravitational pull of planets? Was it Eddie something?

Edited by Spider2YBanana

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Speaking of those who that's a name I haven't heard in awhile, who was that kid from Texas that committed to Bama that went Juco and blew up into what can only be considered so fat he had a gravitational pull of planets? Was it Eddie something?

https://247sports.com/player/kendell-jones-36873/

7224845.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, futureman said:

get that man a thumb stomach

Lost my glasses at the kids soccer practice tonight and read this as thumb sandwich. Thought it was some witty joke that I didn’t understand but google didn’t explain it. 

Lulz at all these old fat out of shape posters making fun of someone that’s also fat and out of shape. Dude at least looks like he can still put up mean numbers on the bench press. I’m 5’11 and an athletic 185, and I’m not making fun of him.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lulz at all these old fat out of shape posters making fun of someone that’s also fat and out of shape. Dude at least looks like he can still put up mean numbers on the bench press. I’m 5’11 and an athletic 185, and I’m not making fun of him.

I mean, there's fat, and there's whatever that is. The beetus is coming for his feet in the next 20 years.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

They've got to be at least 800 pounds altogether. I don't want to imagine what their bed has to go through, but hopefully they can get their weight under control before their lives are significantly cut short by it.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, there's fat, and there's whatever that is. The beetus is coming for his feet in the next 20 years.

20 years if he’s lucky. You can almost smell the beetus oozing of out that picture right now. 

Posted (edited)

Longhorns DT target Kendell Jones announces top five

The upcoming decision from the consensus four-star prospect will probably not favor Texas.

By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott May 15, 2015, 4:07pm CDT
Share this story

Hours after rumors that Killeen Shoemaker defensive tackle Kendell Jones committed to the Alabama Crimson Tide, the 6'5, 361-pounder announced his top five via Twitter:

No order My Top 5 Colleges Are Alabama Texas Baylor Texas A&M LSU
    — Kendell Jones Jr. (@HULKJONES50) May 15, 2015

Fans of those programs won't have long to wait until Jones make his decision, as he plans to commit on May 22 at the Shoemaker spring game.

"I was too excited to let it wait, it's time to get it out of the way," Jones told KDHPressbox.com. "I can focus on school and it's my last year so it's going to be one less thing to worry about."

Though Jones has maintained his openness, the Longhorns were perceived as the leader throughout much of his recruitment since he visited campus more than 10 times over the last several years.

However, Jones was able to take visits to Texas A&M and Alabama in April and it seems that the trip to Tuscaloosa made a big impact. Since the rumored commitment to the Crimson Tide, 13 predictions for head coach Nick Saban's program came into the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Jones:

So the odds seem high that Jones won't pick Texas a week from now, which would represent a huge loss for the Horns. It's a deep class for defensive tackles in the state, but Texas looks out of the race for Houston Westfield's Ed Oliver and may trail USC for Houston Westside's Jordan Elliott, the other two elite defensive tackles.

The staff needs to land a true impact defensive tackle in the 2016 class and that task will get much more difficult if Jones commits to Alabama next week as expected.

And for the LOL

ESPN 300 big man gets tough

Max Olson, ESPN Staff WriterMay 22, 2015, 10:23 AM ET

KILLEEN, Texas -- Kendell Jones Sr. must get the question all the time: What are you feeding him?

His son, Killeen Shoemaker defensive tackle Kendell Jones, is 6-foot-4 ½ and a slender 361 pounds, though he says he's down to 346 this week. And yet, there's no gut. Not too much body fat, either. He just turned 17. Looks more like 27. How exactly did the ESPN 300 standout get this big?

Kendell Jones Jr. is ranked No. 104 in the ESPN 300. Max Olson/ESPN

"His favorite meal is the next thing that's in front of him," Kendell Sr. joked. "The refrigerator is like a plate to him."

The ESPN 300 standout, who's planning to commit to Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU or Baylor after Shoemaker's spring scrimmage on Friday night, has always been a giant among his peers growing up, an enigma worthy of extra -- and unwanted -- attention.

Getting bigger has always been easy for Jones.

Edited by Bevo