Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"He doesn't want his boss's job, therefore he probably isn't good at the one he has" is an insanely dangerous thought for any leader to entertain.  I'd argue that confusing ambition with talent is a pretty consistent theme with organizations in decline. 

Tex Long's been moping about the coaches across every board this week. He's just looking for stuff to be grumpy about.

6 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

What was Phillips ceiling? Could we grab someone out of the portal this next season to replace him? 

If he’s an early enrollee, we can probably grab him next summer after he gets moved to safety and doesn’t get paid what he was promised.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star+
OTF %: 35%, with Notre Dame 55% and USC 10%

I bet we end up with one of the Cali. linebackers.

On a separate note, I wonder how NIL is appropriated. It seems like we have a budget for each position group. So, if Gideon and staff wants someone expensive such as Jonah Williams at safety then there isn't much money for the second guy. As fans, we fret about losing guys, but the system is set up at the moment to prevent stockpiling talent. Since the system is new, even poor schools can lie or reach deep into the coffers for a good year or two, but they probably won't be able to sustain.

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

Percentages on Texas top uncommitted targets

Believe it or not, the Texas Longhorns are still in the hunt for a fourth straight top 5 class. With 16 commitments and a class expected to go as high as 24 signees, there is plenty of runway left for Steve Sarkisian and staff. 

And the chance also remains that the Longhorns are firmly inside the top 10 class rankings by the time the season begins August 31. 

With a number of decisions to be announced this week, OnTexasFootball gives out percentages on the top uncommitted targets on the board. 

August 21
Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star++
OTF %: 30%, with OU 65%, Texas A&M 5%

August 23
Nick Brooks, OT, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson 
OTF %: 65%, with Georgia 30% and USC 5%

August 24
Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball
OTF %: 65%, with Texas A&M 15%, LSU 15% and Oregon 5%

Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.) High 
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star 
OTF %: 20%, with LSU 45% and Arkansas 35%

August 30
Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin
OTF %: 60%, with Miami 30%, Tennessee 5% and LSU 5%

TBD
Michael Terry II, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
OTF %: 70%, with Oregon 15% and Nebraska 15%

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic
OTF %: 35%, with Notre Dame 55% and USC 10%

I’m surprised to see such a high percentage for us to land Williams. I wonder if Schloss and the baseball angle is really making a difference. Hopefully we're not blowing the NIL budget on him. 

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There are others with far more knowledge on the subject here that can probably go into greater detail, but this is much more like being a NFL GM where you have to make some tough decisions. Perhaps some of the more informed NIL guys can chime in with greater detail. 

image.jpeg.c2eef14a2a4edace4537e3aa57463ec5.jpegtriggered

Told On3 he is visiting for a game this fall: https://www.on3.com/db/caleb-bell-236340/. Son of former NFL player Kendrell Bell

Gerry also mentioned being a fan of this guy yesterday on a livestream and said he will be at the Colorado State game: https://www.on3.com/db/jackson-blackwell-237784/

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Told On3 he is visiting for a game this fall: https://www.on3.com/db/caleb-bell-236340/. Son of former NFL player Kendrell Bell

Gerry also mentioned being a fan of this guy yesterday on a livestream and said he will be at the Colorado State game: https://www.on3.com/db/jackson-blackwell-237784/

I thought this guy was really interesting

Joseph Mbatchou - Grayson - Defensive Line (on3.com)

new to football. He has been playing hoops. 

The Florida Gators have had their eye on Loganville (GA) Grayson 2025 defensive lineman Joseph Mbatchou in recent weeks. The sleeper defensive lineman is currently in his first year of football, with only this past spring football season serving as his only experiencing playing the sport. At 6-foot-6, 285-pounds, there are a lot of traits the Gators have been high on, and after offering him this past weekend, Mbatchou was back in Gainesville again a few days later.

Kid is getting SEC offers as spring film leaks out (South Carolina, Auburn, and Texas). He is from Cameroon. Athletic and raw kid with a lot of upside. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

If Sark can close with Jonah Williams, Brooks, Ffrench, and Terry that's a solid class. Then focus on filling in the missing pieces at DL and DB via portal. 

If they don’t spend the money needed for DT via HS then why would they for portal which is more expensive for really good DT?

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If they don’t spend the money needed for DT via HS then why would they for portal which is more expensive for really good DT?

We added 3 DTs from the portal, what are you talking about, all our currently on the 2 deep and will get plenty of snaps.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We did get Sharma, who was not cheap, on top of our two edges.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Bobby went off on an NIL comment yesterday. Someone saying Texas needs to up their NIL game. He said you may not like how they allocate the NIL, but Texas is top 3 in NIL period. He mentioned retention is a bigger factor, then fans care to think about. He also used Tenn as an example. Apparently, they gave a top OT 1mm NIL deal to sign. He was pointing out that guy is a great recruit but may not play for 2 years. That is potentially 2 years, where you wasted a million dollars that could have gone to retention and portal acquisitions.  Gerry said the flip side of that is they may be forced to play him too early, due to the big NIL guarantee. Just my uniformed opinion, but I think the #1 use is retention. You need to make sure you have a 2 deep first. #2 is recruits. There are lot of factors there. How deep is the position and how early can the recruit play? How big is the gap between the #1 kid on the board and the #2 and #3 kid. There are others with far more knowledge on the subject here that can probably go into greater detail, but this is much more like being a NFL GM where you have to make some tough decisions. Perhaps some of the more informed NIL guys can chime in with greater detail. 

Believe it or not, Ketch did a deep dive on this whole retention thing about a week or so ago, using Fasuci as an example, and it was some very good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Bobby went off on an NIL comment yesterday. Someone saying Texas needs to up their NIL game. He said you may not like how they allocate the NIL, but Texas is top 3 in NIL period. He mentioned retention is a bigger factor, then fans care to think about. He also used Tenn as an example. Apparently, they gave a top OT 1mm NIL deal to sign. He was pointing out that guy is a great recruit but may not play for 2 years. That is potentially 2 years, where you wasted a million dollars that could have gone to retention and portal acquisitions.  Gerry said the flip side of that is they may be forced to play him too early, due to the big NIL guarantee. Just my uniformed opinion, but I think the #1 use is retention. You need to make sure you have a 2 deep first. #2 is recruits. There are lot of factors there. How deep is the position and how early can the recruit play? How big is the gap between the #1 kid on the board and the #2 and #3 kid. There are others with far more knowledge on the subject here that can probably go into greater detail, but this is much more like being a NFL GM where you have to make some tough decisions. Perhaps some of the more informed NIL guys can chime in with greater detail. 

I feel like I've posted on this a bunch before, but yes, retention is a huge deal. Corporate side is helping more and more in that direction, but yeah, this is going to be a cycle into the $20s when everything is combined, from corporate to collective, from recruiting to retention to portal acquisition. The team on the field this season, 2024, is what I am talking about here. The same is showing to be true for the next cycle as well. The recruiting aspect is a minority fraction of that. 

If people here actually think that any of that is normal, they have their heads firmly planted up their own assholes. Oregon, Texas, Ohio State. That's that. I've been saying as much now for years here. Notice how that does nothing to negate the reality of random schools and random recruitments blowing numbers out of the fucking water on the reg? It happens. When Oregon does it, it is a feature, not a bug. OU, Auburn, Tennessee, USC, a few others will do it for a guy or two every cycle as well. ATM, Michigan, UGa, a few others will wind up in the top tier when they have all of their ducks in a row and have put aside either incompetence or a weak starting point. 

As to allocation of a total amount to specific position groups, um, no. Not now. You'd need a competent leader on the GM side with a vision and his/her own gravitational pull within the building and within the recruiting/portal realms. For people looking for a weakness in the UT machine, there are two.

One is shared by all NIL efforts across the country, but bigger at Texas or OSU due simply to the scale, and that is too much dependency upon a small cabal of supporters. Don't read too much into the guy Ketchum is a mouthpiece for at this point, as it is more than just 2-3 folks offering support. You'd still like to see way more diversity.

The other weakness is a Sarkisian self-own - other programs are putting critical infrastructure into place and it is being led by outstanding personnel. I have confidence that Texas can always exploit second mover advantage due to the wherewithal of internal finances and brand reach, but fuck us all right now waiting for that shit to be leveraged once they realize how fucking far off the mark they are by comparison to other blue bloods.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We did get Sharma, who was not cheap, on top of our two edges.

It doesn't matter that you're correct. Many idiots just like to pound their fists on the table.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Believe it or not, Ketch did a deep dive on this whole retention thing about a week or so ago, using Fasuci as an example, and it was some very good stuff.

I just addressed some of that. The booster wrote that piece for Ketchum. It was well written and made great points, but it also had biases woven into that are a byproduct of the writer's perspective. Nothing wrong with that, but it is there and hopefully my post above helps on some of it. 

Look, all of this considered, one thing that is very critical for everyone here to understand regarding Fasusi - OU just flat out won that recruitment. OU and Texas offered market-level stuff, which is fucking huge for a borderline 5 star OT. The dude is going to OU because he liked his time in Norman and preferred the whole experience to Austin. He also likes their depth chart. Do not have any illusions that Fasusi is choosing OU because Texas is somehow being strategically intelligent against "dead money" on the OL or holding something back for other spots or for Turntine. That's a bunch of bullshit from the staff and their extensions trying to rationalize the inevitable recruiting outcome on this one.

• Hook 'Em 9

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just addressed some of that. The booster wrote that piece for Ketchum. It was well written and made great points, but it also had biases woven into that are a byproduct of the writer's perspective. Nothing wrong with that, but it is there and hopefully my post above helps on some of it. 

Look, all of this considered, one thing that is very critical for everyone here to understand regarding Fasusi - OU just flat out won that recruitment. OU and Texas offered market-level stuff, which is fucking huge for a borderline 5 star OT. The dude is going to OU because he liked his time in Norman and preferred the whole experience to Austin. He also likes their depth chart. Do not have any illusions that Fasusi is choosing OU because Texas is somehow being strategically intelligent against "dead money" on the OL or holding something back for other spots or for Turntine. That's a bunch of bullshit from the staff and their extensions trying to rationalize the inevitable recruiting outcome on this one.

I hate to say this because I hate the idea of players leaving every year, but it almost seems like it makes more sense to try to buy a new team every year ----- after seeing who actually pans out ----- than to park a large amount of money for two years in a player who won't see the field. Until he's a redshirt sophomore.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I hate to say this because I hate the idea of players leaving every year, but it almost seems like it makes more sense to try to buy a new team every year ----- after seeing who actually pans out ----- than to park a large amount of money for two years in a player who won't see the field. Until he's a redshirt sophomore.

Like pro sports free agency, I assume the "just buy a new team" strategy will rarely work in college due to the chemistry requirements in football. In addition, at Texas for sure and I assume elsewhere, the pure mercenary play would raise all kinds of issues with the academic side. I took the under on 5.5 for CU this year. Took the under for ATM going over 8.5 too. Both of those seasons will be informative and illustrative for the approach of burning down rosters to rebuild them.

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It seems to me like it makes more sense to buy portal guys to plug holes while using the rest to build a core that carries the culture and “chemistry” of 11 guys needing to be on the same page, even if they don’t play immediately.

I’m sure it’s a continuum and, clearly, depends on resources, but ongoing wholesale changes seems like a pretty unreliable way to go. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle, maybe you have 11 really good players doing 11 different things and get worked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Like pro sports free agency, I assume the "just buy a new team" strategy will rarely work in college due to the chemistry requirements in football. In addition, at Texas for sure and I assume elsewhere, the pure mercenary play would raise all kinds of issues with the academic side. I took the under on 5.5 for CU this year. Took the under for ATM going over 8.5 too. Both of those seasons will be informative and illustrative for the approach of burning down rosters to rebuild them.

In general this seems to be what I would expect, however Krazy Kiffin and Norvell at Free Shoes seemed to excel.  This is just from memory, so if my examples are incorrect please fire away.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hold on a minute. Hooters is going out of business? What the fuck? I’ve always vaguely wanted to take my boys there to see it once. When do they close?

Not entirely shutting down, yet anyway. But they had to close something like 40 or 50 locations this year due to rising costs and underperforming profits

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry

Jonah Williams will be Texas or LSU barring a major shift late this week.

LOL, my son goes to Ball High. I just got this message from him: "Saw Jonah Willams wearing a usc shirt today"

I hope this doesn't portend "a major shift!"

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hold on a minute. Hooters is going out of business? What the fuck? I’ve always vaguely wanted to take my boys there to see it once. When do they close?

The good looking women don't need these places any longer with the advent of OnlyFans.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

LOL, my son goes to Ball High. I just got this message from him: "Saw Jonah Willams wearing a usc shirt today"

I hope this doesn't portend "a major shift!"

Reminds me of the user (EHS_2016 or something along those lines) swearing to us Walker Little was wearing a Texas shirt every day the week of his announcement

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Reminds me of the user (EHS_2016 or something along those lines) swearing to us Walker Little was wearing a Texas shirt every day the week of his announcement

Yeah, I was hesitant to post. It's not technically insider info, and I claim none. My son isn't on the team. And there are 2000 students at the school. But I told him to be on the lookout and he had just texted me and I thought it was pretty funny timing. I am really glad there's optimism about getting him. A few months ago I was worried about aggy because I wasn't sure how much Jonah is influenced by Mike Evans. Dude is royalty around here. I even went to his parade on the Seawall a few years ago after TB won the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Not entirely shutting down, yet anyway. But they had to close something like 40 or 50 locations this year due to rising costs and underperforming profits

Florida seems to be the only state where Hooters is doing well. 

55 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

The good looking women don't need these places any longer with the advent of OnlyFans.

image.gif.2d34d403d08e34b759495baf5b78a360.gif