Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

4 hours ago, bluto said:

Harold Perkins tonight

He is one of the most overrated players in the country. He is a tweener. He is best on the edge rushing the QB, but he can’t hold up there in the run game. He is not great at playing a traditional LB role. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is one of the most overrated players in the country. He is a tweener. He is best on the edge rushing the QB, but he can’t hold up there in the run game. He is not great at playing a traditional LB role. 

Bullet dodged!

🤘

The Stampede: Breaking down 10 Texas flip targets entering the fall

Fresh off of an impressive 52 to 0 shutout home opening win over Colorado State, the Texas Longhorns are rolling into Michigan week hot on the field and the recruiting trail as the burnt orange picked up three commitments from five-stars in the month of August alone. 

The Longhorns hold the No. 7 class in the nation just a hair (0.05) behind Tennessee, but the expectation in Austin is an eventual top five class. The smallest class in terms of quantity in the top ten, Texas holds just 19 commitments but will add more between now and signing day as the burnt orange staff continues to recruit prospects, and some through the whistle. 

With Sachse five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett, Galveston Ball five-star safety Jonah Williams, and Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin five-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench making up the three names of five-star prospects that chose the Horns in August, San Antonio Alamo Heights five-star athlete Michael Terry III remains the highest ranked uncommitted prospect on the board.

But who are the main committed targets the Longhorns are looking to flip? After all, Steve Sarkisian has pulled off a recruiting flip in each of his first three recruiting cycles since arriving in Austin in January of 2021. 

Well in this edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we breakdow ten flip targets for Texas entering the fall.

Let's get into it.

Dakorien Moore — Oregon commit

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
The nation's No. 1 wideout prospect spurned the Longhorns back in the summer to blaze his own trail to Oregon as he became the crown jewel of the Ducks' 2025 recruiting class and the highest-rated prospect to ever commit to Oregon in the modern recruiting era according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings. While it's hard to get a clear read of the exact contact level between Moore and the Texas staff, Horns247 is aware of several Longhorns commits that remain in contact with Moore as they do what they can to flip him into the burnt orange class. Although that isn't something Horns247 is expecting at this point in time, Moore is the top talent in the state and will be recruited through the whistle. (SCRUGGS)

Michael Fasusi — Oklahoma commit

Another big time loss on the recruiting trail for the Longhorns this summer, Oklahoma gained momentum on their official visit in Norman and never let go of lead even after Fasusi visited Texas the following week. The long time leader throughout the early stages of the recruitment, there was a lot to like about Texas' position with Fasusi until the summer rolled around and official trips were taken. Although the recruitment was in Oklahoma's favor for several weeks leading into the commitment, the Longhorns remained on him and made an aggressive pitch a few days before the pledge that Fasusi turned down in order to end up as a Sooner. Like Moore, Fasusi isn't a guy with high chances of ending up in the class but is too talented to not recruit through the whistle. (SCRUGGS)

DJ Sanders — Texas A&M commit

The majority of Sanders' recruitment was pretty straightforward: He was going to end up at either Texas or Texas A&M and then Michigan was able to become a serious contender around official visit season once the Wolverines were able to host Sanders for the first time in Ann Arbor. Texas felt good coming out of their official visit with Sanders and remained optimistic into the summer as Sanders inched closer to his decision. Once the Bellville product came to a decision, he caught everyone off guard by committing a day before the announcement was originally planned with the Aggies being the winner. Although that might've surprised us and some in Austin, what would be surprising is if Sanders flips to Texas as we're not expecting it to happen between now and signing day. Regardless of that, Sanders is the top talent on the DL in the Lone Star State and is deserving of being recruited through the whistle. (SCRUGGS)

Kevin Wynn — Florida State commit 

Kevin Wynn (Photo: Travis Register, 247Sports)
Horns247 recently reported that contact remains consistent between Wynn and the Longhorns. The Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County product told us he wants to check out a game in Austin this fall. He already used his official visit to the Forty Acres during the summer. We saw Florida State struggle in its season-opener. If that compounds into a down season for the Noles, Wynn could be one that looks around come National Signing Day. (SOUTH)

Myron Charles — Florida State commit 

Myron Charles (Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)
Probably the flip target we feel best about as things stand now on Sept. 2. Texas finished second to Florida State when the Port Charlotte (Fla.) standout committed to the Seminoles in late June. The Longhorns didn't back off, though, nearly getting Charles back on campus for its pool party in late July. Charles says he plans to get back to Austin soon, which would mark his third visit to Central Texas this year alone. Speaking with sources, there's growing optimism about where UT stands in this recruitment. (SOUTH)

Joseph Mbatchou — Florida commit 

Joseph Mbatchou (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)
The Longhorns offered the Loganville (Ga.) Grayson product on Aug. 14, roughly two weeks after he committed to Florida. Since then, South Carolina, Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, USC, LSU, and Tennessee have all offered the 6-foot-4.5, 275-pounder. It's safe to say Mbatchou's recruitment is really just now getting going. He has an unofficial visit scheduled to Texas for Sept. 21 during Louisiana-Monroe weekend. He's going to check out a number of other programs that have recently offered throughout the fall as well. Of course Florida, the school he's committed to, remains in the picture, too. The Gators were first to recognize Mbatchou as an SEC talent. He's new to football, playing his first-ever season this fall. That's important to him in the grand scheme of things. Of note, Texas has another commitment at Grayson in Nick Brooks. (SOUTH)

Braxton Kyle — Rutgers commit 

Braxton Kyle (Photo: Benjamin Wolk, 247Sports)
Another Georgia native committed elsewhere, Kyle earned his Texas offer on Aug. 18. Home-state Georgia also offered around the same time period. It remains unknown if Kyle will make it out to Austin this fall for a visit. That would be an indicator that interest was mutually serious. For now he appears in no rush to make a final decision as to stick with Rutgers or move off that commitment. I think a safe bet would be UGA at this juncture if he does change his mind. (SOUTH)

Caleb Bell — Arkansas commit 

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)
The Arkansas pledge and NFL legacy reported an offer from the Longhorns in August and is excited about the development in his recruitment. Last week, Bell told Horns247 he has an official visit planned to Austin for early in the season. That would mean he'll likely be on campus sometime this month for his first look at Austin. The 6-foot-3, 270-pounder is part of a loaded Alpharetta (Ga. ) Milton program that churns out Division I talent on an annual basis. Bell told Horns247 besides Texas, Mississippi State, NC State, and Arkansas (obviously) are the main programs in contention for his signature. (SOUTH)

Malcolm Simpson — Nebraska commit

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
Effectively an honorable mention with so many defensive line targets already on this list, Simpson doesn't hold an offer from the Longhorns as of now but that's something Horns247 could see eventually changing. In checking in with folks around the Nebraska pledge, Horns247 continues to hear a flip would be possible for the Longhorns if they were to officially throw their hat in the ring with an offer. An athletic 6-foot-3, 255 pounder, Simpson would need to change his body a bit for the college game but he's more than well equipped as he comes from a deep basketball background and was a rare varsity contributor going back to his freshman season. Although an offer is still yet to be presented, the Longhorns have been in contact with the Nebraska pledge's circle for several weeks and it wouldn't surprise us if an offer eventually came about. (SCRUGGS)

Riley Pettijohn — Ohio State commit

Riley Pettijohn (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Similar to Fasusi and Moore, Pettijohn was another of the biggest losses of the summer for the Longhorns and their fans as it was the burnt orange who were the clear leader throughout the early stages of the recruitment due to the early groundwork Jeff Choate did before leaving for the head coaching job at Nevada. Johnny Nansen arrived in Austin and things looked like a smooth transition at first, but as we got further into the summer and Pettijohn took official visits elsewhere, it eventually became apparent that he was headed elsewhere and ended up with James Laurinaitis at Ohio State. Just like Moore and Fasusi, we're not expecting a flip here but he's too talented at a position of priority for the burnt orange to not stay on him as a potential flip down the road. (SCRUGGS)

• Hook 'Em 7

I know this doesn’t go here but was ewers in the same class, before he skipped early? I remember there were people saying we should’ve gone to them after ewers went to Ohio state. (IIRC) I think one of them had Texas ties and Klub was in our backyard. Good thing everything worked out the way it should’ve.
I admit to being one of those idiots shilling for Klubnik, so happy I didn't get my way.
  • Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Teryor said:

The Stampede: Breaking down 10 Texas flip targets entering the fall

Alienating Pettijohn in favor of Faraimo seems like It’s going to be one of the biggest missteps in this cycle. Hopefully we get a postmortem about how that all went down. 

Edited by TXRed
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, ousux said:
On 9/1/2024 at 1:37 PM, utexas8 said:

I know this doesn’t go here but was ewers in the same class, before he skipped early? I remember there were people saying we should’ve gone to them after ewers went to Ohio state. (IIRC) I think one of them had Texas ties and Klub was in our backyard. Good thing everything worked out the way it should’ve.

I admit to being one of those idiots shilling for Klubnik, so happy I didn't get my way.

I can say that I was emphatically against pursuing Klubnik on this board and elsewhere. His film reminded me exactly of Garrett Gilbert, who I was also adamantly opposed to Texas taking, much less being the only QB they took for like 3 classes. 

The different talking heads on XM84 yesterday and today - Sallee, Luginbill, Neuheisel, Matt Hayes, Adam Rittenberg, etc., have all sort of mindlessly called the GA game a “bad outing” for Klubnik while then defending him and saying he’ll still be fine. Has no one watched the fucking guy play, like, at all? He was a bum then, and he’s a bum now!

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can say that I was emphatically against pursuing Klubnik on this board and elsewhere. His film reminded me exactly of Garrett Gilbert, who I was also adamantly opposed to Texas taking, much less being the only QB they took for like 3 classes. 

The different talking heads on XM84 yesterday and today - Sallee, Luginbill, Neuheisel, Matt Hayes, Adam Rittenberg, etc., have all sort of mindlessly called the GA game a “bad outing for Klubnik while then defending him and saying he’ll still be fine. Has no one watched the fucking guy play, like, at all? He was a bum then, and he’s a bum now!

It's weird because pretty much every smart Clemson / ACC football fan is completely out on him. He's never done anything interesting in his Clemson career. It's like Dabo is asking the media for a favor or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Did anyone catch the IT article about Barnes and what hes doing after the Oregon visit? Any worry there? Obviously theres always a threat with Oregon dropping a bag but I'd like to think he say our LB's show out and thought better of it.

Gerry said Texas should start to worry if Barnes schedules an OV there, but at this time he doesn't think that will happen. Oregon sneaking him on campus and then laying an egg may not have been a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It's weird because pretty much every smart Clemson / ACC football fan is completely out on him. He's never done anything interesting in his Clemson career. It's like Dabo is asking the media for a favor or something.

They like him cause he’s from Austin Westlake, and didn’t go to Texas….I guess.

25 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

Myron Charles, come on down!

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Kevin Wynn and Charles, come on down!

Kevin Wynn, Javion Hilson, and Charles, come on down! 

In all seriousness, with both FSU and UF falling apart and Miami having a real QB for the first time in ages, Cristobal is about to absolutely clean up in tFlorida. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'd prefer Kelshaun Johnson to McCutcheon, but as mentioned before the odds of him jumping in a class with Ffrench and Lockett feel pretty low.

I don't think it's the worst idea to stand pat with a 2 WR class and save a bullet for the portal if you need it. We took 4 last year (although it feels like 3 because Dubose seems like a long shot to ever contribute here with how he's looked post-knee injury in HS).

The way the roster cycle was set up forced us to take 3 portal WRs last year, but I think we would ideally be in the 1-2 range each year moving forward. You know you are losing Bolden after this year and I don't think Bond and Golden came to Texas with the thought they would be here more than 12 months.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'd prefer Kelshaun Johnson to McCutcheon, but as mentioned before the odds of him jumping in a class with Ffrench and Lockett feel pretty low.

I don't think it's the worst idea to stand pat with a 2 WR class and save a bullet for the portal if you need it. We took 4 last year (although it feels like 3 because Dubose seems like a long shot to ever contribute here with how he's looked post-knee injury in HS).

The way the roster cycle was set up forced us to take 3 portal WRs last year, but I think we would ideally be in the 1-2 range each year moving forward. You know you are losing Bolden after this year and I don't think Bond and Golden came to Texas with the thought they would be here more than 12 months.

I think Sark will always be on the lookout for big time WR in the portal but I think it will more likely be 0-1 per year. Want to supplement with the portal, not be dependent on the portal.

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Regarding Johnson or any other recruit, how he feels about certain things can change depending on how the season plays out. I'm sure he was told Sark only uses 3-4 WRs a season etc... But this season will likely dispel that notion. How Charles, Wilson, and Wynn feel about FSU is likely to change as well. The likelihood they hold on to all 3 seems very low.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Here's a guy GH mentioned today

Walter Mathis Jr

6'3 285. 

https://www.on3.com/db/walter-mathis-jr-158154/

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Mag4L

I don't know how real this interest is, from us or from him, but I like that we are looking in deep SEC country. I remember the decades when we were too scared to even look at GA players because we didn't think we could convince the to come to Texas. This staff says fuck all that.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kevin Wynn, Javion Hilson, and Charles, come on down! 

In all seriousness, with both FSU and UF falling apart and Miami having a real QB for the first time in ages, Cristobal is about to absolutely clean up in tFlorida. 

Dude is a 1 year hire. Miami sinks back into oblivion after this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I don't know how real this interest is, from us or from him, but I like that we are looking in deep SEC country. I remember the decades when we were too scared to even look at GA players because we didn't think we could convince the to come to Texas. This staff says fuck all that.

Gerry is a big fan of taking underdeveloped IDLs from Georgia and Florida.