Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

5 minutes ago, linux said:

Again very naive, they were looking for Cam Ward and had to settle for him, because he was better than their backup.

That is it.

People ascribing this mythical arrogance from coaches "I can fix him! I am the QB whisperer" is kinda laughable.

I didn’t reference FSU, but Mike Norvell literally alluded to fixing DJU at media days since you’re insisting on bringing that part of the DJU journey up.

Naive is thinking you’ve got access to better data or background on recruiting and college coaching decisions than others here on this board. You’ve been the same unevolved poster on the boards for like two decades, linux. You start every appearance presuming to know more and to be more intelligent than everyone else. I’ve always found it entertaining in the unwittting “often wrong, but never in doubt” kind of unintentional comedic way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

I didn’t reference FSU, but Mike Norvell literally alluded to fixing DJU at media days since you’re insisting on bringing that part of the DJU journey up.

Naive is thinking you’ve got access to better data or background on recruiting and college coaching decisions than others here on this board. You’ve been the same unevolved poster on the boards for like two decades, linux. You start every appearance presuming to know more and to be more intelligent than everyone else. I’ve always found it entertaining in the unwittting “often wrong, but never in doubt” kind of unintentional comedic way.

Then explain why their #1 target was Cam Ward? and they lost the bidding war with Miami? surely you are not that naive to fall for coaching talk.

DJU was not a hidden gem they were hoping to unlock please...

Also don't be so fucking insecure it does not suit you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Other than NIL, has Ward stated why he picked Miami? It looks like it’s going to work out, but he certainly better options. 

Some folks, and I know this is hard for some of us to believe, consider Miami cool.  Some folks consider it a destination spot.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Some folks, and I know this is hard for some of us to believe, consider Miami cool.  Some folks consider it a destination spot.  

Beaches, nightlife, great food, Brazilian and Colombian girls. All on big city corporate NIL money. Sounds awful.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I could be wrong, but I think they were going for Cameron Ward, CTJ.   DJU was the also ran that they had to take and, of course, Norvell had to "coach speak" him into being a decent QB after he was what they ended up with.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Image attachment

Man, it may only last for a week (hope not), but I'm soaking up and reveling in this current situation where we look like 1 of 3 or 4 national championship favorites while almost every one of our closest recruiting rivals in '25 keeps stepping on rakes. If we go out and bust up Michigan on the road it couldn't have been a better start to the season. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

-he is sky high on Mbatchou after watching him practice in person. Texas has a legitimate shot here and this guy has 5 star upside.

Yeah, Gerry ranked him as a 4+ star which generally translate to Top 50-100 in the country for him, after seeing him practice. 

blog_101_practicememe.jpg?format=500w

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, Gerry ranked him as a 4+ star which generally translate to Top 50-100 in the country for him, after seeing him practice. 

blog_101_practicememe.jpg?format=500w

Gerry's rankings are:

4 star ++ Top 75

4 star + Top 150

4 star Top 150-375ish

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry's posted plenty lately while roadtripping through AL, FL and GA:

-seems like he thinks Lacey is still a good pickup

-says the state of Georgia is loaded at DT this year and he's bullish on UT's prospects for landing a few of them

-he is sky high on Mbatchou after watching him practice in person. Texas has a legitimate shot here and this guy has 5 star upside.

-due to Georgia already mostly filling up at the position, the possibility of landing 2 of these guys in Georgia is real

-Baker is connected at Grayson, which is a GA high school power, and also where multiple prospects are.

-Tyler Atkinson is probably the best LB in the 2026 class and at Grayson. Texas is late to that party but already in the top 5. That one may wind up being one of the nastiest recruitments of the next cycle.

-Charles is in play.

-Brandon Brown would only be in play if some crazy shit happened with Bo Davis at LSU

-Texas is still dead set on taking 4 DTs from the HS ranks

Anyway, not all of that is exactly what Gerry said, but I'm divining some things having read his posts.

When Gerry stops by Jacksonville Mandarin on Friday he needs to check out 2028 athlete Brysen Wright. Georgia already offered after he camped there. Great looking prospect. Elite basketball prospect as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

If Matt Rhule is looking at them, it’s definitely worth a visit. Just saying, as I think he’s going to have Nebby bowl bound this year with 8-9 wins.

Hook’em!!!

He may have failed the NFL but he seems to understand growth potential and team building at the college level 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

It's OK, I'll admit it: I have no fucking clue what a "1 play player" is. Is that a typo? Some sort of football hipster terminology I'm not familiar with?

You only need to see 1 play of his highlight reel to know he'll be elite at the next level.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It's OK, I'll admit it: I have no fucking clue what a "1 play player" is. Is that a typo? Some sort of football hipster terminology I'm not familiar with?

I would assume it means you see one play on film or maybe in person and that would justify an offer? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

I really hope Lacey is a great pickup, because I really liked Russel's tape. (I'm an idiot, though, so whatever.)

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The way the QB position has been recruited, we can absorb a one-year miss pretty easily. Also, Dia Bell in 2026 is a stud. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Update on a five-star recruiting battle (Michael Terry III)

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

"No matter the currently scheduled visits or the absence of a definitive decision timeline, we continue to like the Longhorns' chances of winning out for Terry's services when the dust settles." — JORDAN SCRUGGS

Spoiler

Update on a five-star recruiting battle

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Michael Terry III is headed to Nebraska this weekend for the Huskers' game against Colorado. He's scheduled to visit Texas on Oct. 19 for the Georgia game. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
There continues to be little to no news on the recruitment of Alamo Heights five-star athlete Michael Terry III.

The nation's No. 1-ranked athlete according to 247Sports will visit Nebraska this weekend to see the Huskers host the Colorado Buffaloes. The trip has been locked in for Terry since he saw Nebraska at the end of July on an unofficial visit.

Outside of going to Lincoln for this weekend's game, Terry doesn't have any other visits on his schedule other than making the drive from the greater San Antonio area to the Forty Acres for the Georgia game on Oct. 19. However, sources have indicated that Oregon will make a serious push to get Terry to Eugene the week before when the Ducks welcome Ohio State to Autzen Stadium on Oct. 12.

At press time, nothing is set in stone regarding Terry and his family making the trip.

Furthermore, there isn't anything to update as far as a timeline for a decision goes and Terry hasn't set a commitment date.

However, a source I spoke with on Wednesday said they could see a commitment happening in either September or October rather than November or December.

The source I spoke with continues to lean toward the Longhorns' chances over Nebraska and Oregon. They believe if Terry makes it to campus for the Georgia game and Texas wins, the chances of Terry committing before the end of October would increase.

No matter the currently scheduled visits or the absence of a definitive decision timeline, we continue to like the Longhorns' chances of winning out for Terry's services when the dust settles. — JORDAN SCRUGGS

• Hook 'Em 9