Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Mbatchou’s film is pretty meh to me. Obviously the frame is incredible and every major program is going crazy for him right now, so clearly I don’t know shit. Just wondering why he’s a priority take now and not a guy that goes to Mississippi State and then turns into a big NIL bidding war in 3 years. 

The film you watched was the first time ever he played football. The room for growth is astronomical.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Mbatchou’s film is pretty meh to me. Obviously the frame is incredible and every major program is going crazy for him right now, so clearly I don’t know shit. Just wondering why he’s a priority take now and not a guy that goes to Mississippi State and then turns into a big NIL bidding war in 3 years. 

How many stud DT are in the portal every year? Maybe 1 or 2? 

How many has  Texas won so far? 
It’s very hard to find All-conference type players in the portal. It is arguably the hardest position to find in the portal. That is part of the reason that a kid playing in his 2nd or 3rd football game ever has most the SEC begging him to come to their school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Someone who knows what “measurables”  translate sees something, and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Bledsoe was considered another raw prospect with great potential, but years later we don’t seem to be seeing any reward.

I can't be bothered to split the post for the threads but some good visitors coming up:

Gerry Hamilton

Elite prospects to visit this season

The Texas Longhorns hosted two top targets remaining on the board Saturday for the 56-7 win over UTSA. And at least one of those is scheduled to be back in Austin in October. 

This morning, OnTexasFootball takes a look at prospects that are expected/scheduled to be in Austin for big games in late September and October 19.

Texas vs. Mississippi State
Walter Mathis Jr., DL, Savannah (Ga.) Calvary Day - LSU commit
Note: Texas and Mathis talked again this weekend. September 29 is looking good for a visit. 

Chace Sims, DL, Richmond (Texas) Randle - Texas A&M commit
Note: This will be an official visit for Sims. OTF puts the percentage at 75% for a flip assuming the visit goes well. 

Javion Hilson, EDGE, Cocoa (Fla.) High
Note: Hilson is making a number of unofficial visits, including Texas. The Horns have a legit shot with a final push.

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Kevin Ford Jr., EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High - 2026 4-star

Texas vs. Georgia 
Joseph Mbatchou, DL, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson
Note: This will be an official visit for the Peach State and OnTexasFootball 4-star+ prospect. This is a real recruitment with Georgia and Alabama making the same push as Texas.

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball
Note: This will be Williams' official visit to Texas.

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High - Texas A&M commit

Tyler Atkinson, LB, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson - 2026 5-star

Javian Osborne, RB, Forney (Texas) High - 2026 4-star 

Kosi Okpala, LB, Houston (Texas) Mayde Creek - 2026 4-star

Jalen Lott, WR/CB, Frisco (Texas) Panther Creek... 2026 4-star son of James Lott.

*Note: The list of prospects saying they plan to attend this game will be around 100 as it gets closer. 

Also the Texas vs. UL-M
Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball #AllGasNoBrakes

Jalen Lott, WR/CB, Frisco (Texas) Panther Creek... 2026 4-star son of James Lott.

Landen Williams-Callis, RB, Richmond (Texas) Randle - 2027
Note: Running backs coach Tashard Choice is recruiting the sophomore as heavily as possible right now. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I remember there was a Henry Ford who went to Fort Worth Trimble Tech and then Arkansas back in the late 80s. He had an NFL career with the Oilers/Titans. I wonder if they are related.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry believe this guy is one of the best players in the country regardless of class.

He honestly might be the best player in the country for 2026, regardless of position. I doubt they rank him that way since he’s a linebacker, but he looks like he was made in a lab and plays like it. I assume Georgia makes it impossible for him to leave. 

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can't be bothered to split the post for the threads but some good visitors coming up:

Gerry Hamilton

Elite prospects to visit this season

The Texas Longhorns hosted two top targets remaining on the board Saturday for the 56-7 win over UTSA. And at least one of those is scheduled to be back in Austin in October. 

This morning, OnTexasFootball takes a look at prospects that are expected/scheduled to be in Austin for big games in late September and October 19.

Texas vs. Mississippi State
Walter Mathis Jr., DL, Savannah (Ga.) Calvary Day - LSU commit
Note: Texas and Mathis talked again this weekend. September 29 is looking good for a visit. 

Chace Sims, DL, Richmond (Texas) Randle - Texas A&M commit
Note: This will be an official visit for Sims. OTF puts the percentage at 75% for a flip assuming the visit goes well. 

Javion Hilson, EDGE, Cocoa (Fla.) High
Note: Hilson is making a number of unofficial visits, including Texas. The Horns have a legit shot with a final push.

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Texas vs. Georgia 
Joseph Mbatchou, DL, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson
Note: This will be an official visit for the Peach State and OnTexasFootball 4-star+ prospect. This is a real recruitment with Georgia and Alabama making the same push as Texas.

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball
Note: This will be Williams' official visit to Texas.

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High - Texas A&M commit

Tyler Atkinson, LB, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson - 2026 5-star

Javian Osborne, RB, Forney (Texas) High - 2026 4-star 

Kosi Okpala, LB, Houston (Texas) Mayde Creek - 2026 4-star

*Note: The list of prospects saying they plan to attend this game will be around 100 as it gets closer. 

Also the Texas vs. UL-M
Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball #AllGasNoBrakes

Landen Williams-Callis, RB, Richmond (Texas) Randle - 2027
Note: Running backs coach Tashard Choice is recruiting the sophomore as heavily as possible right now. 

The signs are coming together that the visitor list for the Georgia game is going to be as absurd as any visitor list ever. For Texas, at least. 

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wonder what the order is on their DL board. Walter Mathis is a fucking wrecking ball but he doesn't have ideal size IMO.

You sound like a Georgia coach, thankfully. Y’all all probably said that about Byron Murphy too. It’s a market inefficiency for Georgia and Texas is hoping to take advantage of it. Also, Georgia had the same issues with Will Anderson Jr. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

South: Texas, Georgia pushing hardest to flip Top247 DL Kevin Wynn

Myron Charles isn't the only Florida State commit Texas would like to flip in the class of 2025. Four-star defensive lineman Kevin Wynn is another. The Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County product tells Horns247 he's still firm with the Seminoles right now, but he's "not closing my doors yet" on the recruiting process.

"I talk to Texas a lot," Wynn told Horns247 on Sunday. "I talk to them at least once a week."

It's defensive line coach Kenny Baker leading the charge to try and flip Wynn. He's already accomplished two flips this cycle in the aforementioned Charles and former Oregon pledge Josiah Sharma.

"They're really like come to one of our games," he said of Texas' message. "And I said yeah I'll try to for sure. We just have communication, really. Just talking."

Wynn said he hasn't looked at Texas' schedule yet but plans to soon.

"Just got a good connection with them, man," Wynn said reflecting on his June official visit to Austin. "I like the program they've got down there."

FSU is off to an 0-3 start on the season. Aside from Charles flipping to Texas, the 'Noles lost a commit from elite edge rusher Javion Hilson, also a big Texas target.

"It does a little, but I don't know, really," Wynn said in response to whether FSU's rough patch affects things.

As for who is pushing the 'Noles the hardest to flip his pledge …

"It's between (Texas) and Georgia," Wynn replied.

What's the appeal of the Longhorns?

"The development," Wynn said. "The guys they got down there. As you can see they're going crazy lately."

At 6-foot-2, 320 pounds, Wynn is ranked the No. 21 defensive lineman and the No. 162 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I remember there was a Henry Ford who went to Fort Worth Trimble Tech and then Arkansas back in the late 80s. He had an NFL career with the Oilers/Titans. I wonder if they are related.

Ford is the top pass rusher in the state for the 2026 class.  He's already got early picks to aggy (lulz).  Plays at Duncanville so a couple years of watching Simmons have to think we have a real good chance to land him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ford is the top pass rusher in the state for the 2026 class.  He's already got early picks to aggy (lulz).  Plays at Duncanville so a couple years of watching Simmons have to think we have a real good chance to land him.

Everytime I see videos of Ford I see him wearing Texas gear unless that has changed this year....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How would you guys rank the remaining DT targets out of Wynn, Mathis, Sims, Mbotchou, and Caleb Bell?

I was talking to one of the 995ers at the tailgate. Obviously things change quickly but as of Saturday it seems like mbatchou, Sims and Mathis are the 3 they're chasing the hardest.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, tokamak said:

17 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The film you watched was the first time ever he played football. The room for growth is astronomical.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As long as Mbatchou isn’t asking for a big NIL number, you take him and stash him for at least 3 years. Wherever he signs, the coaches are going to have to teach him how to play football.

Akeem Olajuwon was a soccer goalie and didn't start playing basketball til he was 15. He was the definition of raw when he came to Houston.

Athletic skills translate. The rest can be taught.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like they haven't released the entire updated 300 yet.

Jackson was previously #22 nationally, so moved up nine spots.

I guess today they're just doing the top 18, with an eventuality to get to 32. Barnes tape from the start of this season has been monstrous so I'm wish casting that he makes it up to top 32. Probably not till the final update though.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

And just like Hakeem, Mbatchou won’t have to beat Michael Jordan to win a title. 

5 minutes ago, PTINS said:

And just like Jordan, Mbatchou won’t have to beat Olajuwon to win a title. FIFY.

For reference: (sorry not sorry for continuing thread derailment).

IMG_2089.thumb.jpeg.1297b9e7e03fdffe235f134b2b5ed849.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, tokamak said:

You answered your own question. Would you prefer to get him cheap or end up in a huge bidding war in 3 years? 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He honestly might be the best player in the country for 2026, regardless of position. I doubt they rank him that way since he’s a linebacker, but he looks like he was made in a lab and plays like it. I assume Georgia makes it impossible for him to leave. 

The signs are coming together that the visitor list for the Georgia game is going to be as absurd as any visitor list ever. For Texas, at least. 

You sound like a Georgia coach, thankfully. Y’all all probably said that about Byron Murphy too. It’s a market inefficiency for Georgia and Texas is hoping to take advantage of it. Also, Georgia had the same issues with Will Anderson Jr. 

Poona Ford was too short

• Hook 'Em 1

The Stampede: Five prospects who will officially visit Texas this fall

The Texas Longhorns currently sit as the No. 1 team in the nation and the No. 6 recruiting class in the nation as well. 

Currently holding 20 commitments, the Texas recruiting class is far from over as the burnt orange are still in the hunt for defensive lineman and linebackers amongst several other prospects. 

Back in the summer Texas hosted over 40 prospects for official visits, but the Longhorns aren't done hosting official trips yet as they'll welcome in more this fall. 

So who are the prospects remaining on the board that could see Austin on an official visit?

Well, in this edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we bring you the latest on five prospects who will be officially visiting the Forty Acres this fall. 

Loganville (Ga.) Grayson three-star DL Joseph Mbatchou — Florida commit

Joseph Mbatchou (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)
What's better than getting a recruit you want that's committed elsewhere on campus for a visit? Getting him to come back for a second visit. Mbatchou got his first look at Texas this weekend for the UTSA game. A source close to his recruitment says the trip went great and he's expected back for either the Georgia or Florida game later this season for an official visit. Obviously looking at the Gators and where they stand as a program, Billy Napier's days appear numbered in Gainesville. How much will that impact Mbatchou remains to be seen. He's seen a massive uptick in interest over the last six weeks, with programs from all across the country vying for the high upside prospect that's playing his first year of football this fall. (SOUTH)

Richmond (Texas) Randle three-star DL Chace Sims — Texas A&M commit

Chace Sims (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
Texas wasn't one of the four official visitor hosts for Sims this summer. The 6-foot-2.5, 305-pounder toured SMU, Washington, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M before committing to the Aggies on July 2. The Longhorns have always had interest in Sims but hadn't made an all-out push in his recruitment. That changed in late July as Texas circled back and began to express heavier interest in the three-star DL. Now the Longhorns have an official visit on the books for the Mississippi State game next weekend where the staff will work to flip the talented in-state prospect. Sims is also hearing from LSU, but Texas appears to be the biggest flip threat for the Aggies at this point in time. (SOUTH)

Alpharetta (Ga.) Milton three-star DL Caleb Bell — Arkansas commit

Caleb Bell (Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)
One of Texas' most recent 2025 offers, Bell has told Horns247 on multiple occasions he intends on officially visiting Texas this fall. An NFL legacy, Bell says he's always had high interest in the Longhorns.

"It felt really good to receive the offer," Bell told Horns247 last month. "I have been wanting it for a long time. It makes me feel like (I'm getting) better."

Bell noted that Mississippi State and N.C. State are two others that he remains interested in despite his pledge to the Razorbacks. 

"I've always liked how the school is, how the football team is, how many players at my position they've taken to the league," he said of the Longhorns. "They're a really good team." (SOUTH)

IMG Academy Top247 linebacker Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Owusu-Boateng took four summer official visits to USC (May 31-June 2), Notre Dame (June 7-9), Ohio State (June 14-16), and Michigan (June 21-23) and there's two more schools that have also found themselves involved come the fall in Florida and Texas. 

Owusu-Boateng was at the Swamp for the Gators season opener vs. Miami, and while he's never been to Texas up to this point, he's currently scheduled to be in Austin for the first time during the Oct. 18-20 weekend when he'll officially visit the capital city. 

At this point in the recruitment it feels as if Ohio State has the lowest chances of landing the Top247 prospect, with USC not much further behind. The Trojans likely only have one more spot in the linebacker class left after landing Ty Jackson, and Madden Faraimo seems more likely to fill that spot in my opinion than Owusu-Boateng. With Florida trending to fire their staff by December, it would personally surprise me if the Gators are able to land IMG product at any point in time. 

That narrows it down from six to three schools in Michigan, Notre Dame, and Texas. Owusu-Boateng's older brother, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah played linebacker at Notre Dame for four seasons before turning pro and getting drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 2nd round of the 2021 draft. Michigan on the other hand is in need of linebackers with only commitment currently in their class, and the Wolverines might have their own advantage already having two commitments in the IMG program in IOL Kaden Strayhorn and RB Donovan Johnson. 

Texas also has some IMG Academy ties they're leaning on with Jordon Johnson-Rubell and Jerrick Gibson being teammates with Owusu-Boateng for two years as well, but with the Longhorns being the only school on the list that Owusu-Boateng hasn't visited yet, it's hard to get a great read of where the burnt orange stand at this current point in time. 

With the decision trending towards taking place in November or December, the only visit that looks like it's being discussed besides the Texas OV includes the Florida State and Notre Dame game in South Bend on Nov. 9. 

That said, I think Notre Dame and Michigan are probably the schools currently in best position to land the Top247 'backer as things currently stand, but his visit to Texas the Oct. 18-20 weekend will be incredibly crucial. I would already call the recruitment between Texas and Owusu-Boateng as "real", but I wouldn't feel great about saying the Longhorns have a real shot unless he actually makes the official visit to Austin. 

In a cycle where Texas desperately needs linebackers, could Texas impress enough on their official visit weekend vs. Georgia to land the nation's top ranked uncommitted linebacker? We'll see. 

Galveston Ball five-star safety Jonah Williams — Texas commit

Jonah Williams (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
In a world where official visits have become crucial, and in some cases necessary to land commitments, Texas managed to land the highest ranked commitment of the cycle without having in for a summer official visit. Nuts. 

The top ranked safety prospect in the nation has been locked into his commitment since pleading to the Longhorns just under a month ago on Aug. 24, and it would come as a humungous surprise to Horns247 if Williams isn't in the class come signing day. 

Set to return to Austin for the first time since the end of July, Williams will be back on campus for his official visit the Georgia game weekend, and Horns247 expects the nation's No. 7 overall prospect to have his recruiting cap on as he's quietly been peer recruiting players to Texas since the day he pledged to the burnt orange.

• Hook 'Em 3

The DB situation is getting weird to me. No visitors on these lists. We're pretty much cooking at every single position except DB. Only commits are a guy that may be a future LB and our lowest-rated guy (I know they like him).

No HS prospects they really like? Joseph and Gideon hibernating? Some serious top secret shit going on?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

The DB situation is getting weird to me. No visitors on these lists. We're pretty much cooking at every single position except DB. Only commits are a guy that may be a future LB and our lowest-rated guy (I know they like him).

No HS prospects they really like? Joseph and Gideon hibernating? Some serious top secret shit going on?

We just landed Jonah Williams.  Calm down.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wait for the Georgia game before your let your pussy bleed too much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5