Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unsure a high school player is the best replacement for that, but maybe the portal won’t give them what they desire at that position. 

Well, we know we have one that if he sees the field, it is to graze. And then we have speculation. Bottom line is that we will sign guys who we think can be impact players and with a now larger scholarship number, we don't have to worry about the numbers, just the cost.

Interested to see how the DL spots fill out for this class.

Are we looking at whoever jumps on board first between Sims, Wynn, Mathis, and Mbatchou?

Gerry says the staff absolutely wants Sims, and I don't think they'd turn Wynn away.  Everything seems to indicate they are all in on Mbatchou.  Mathis looks the best on film IMO, Byron Murphy esque.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Interested to see how the DL spots fill out for this class.

Are we looking at whoever jumps on board first between Sims, Wynn, Mathis, and Mbatchou?

Gerry says the staff absolutely wants Sims, and I don't think they'd turn Wynn away.  Everything seems to indicate they are all in on Mbatchou.  Mathis looks the best on film IMO, Byron Murphy esque.

I could see a scenario where they took everyone and just be honest with Mbatchou that they are going to stash and develop him for 2 or three years and then let him wreck shop as a Jr and Sr. while getting him a masters degree at Texas. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Mathis recruitment has the “go get fucked” element for Texas with Bo Davis. If that guy wants to come to Texas, it doesn’t matter who else is coming. 

Given scholarship expansion, 6 DTs wouldn’t surprise me. Neither would 4 and 2-3 portal guys who are good additions but don’t break the bank. 

It now seems really clear that they’ve expanded their DE/Edge number to 3 and they’re getting Hilson this weekend barring something super weird. That will be the best DE/Edge haul in the country, following what probably was in the 2024 class. 

There’s a growing notion that if you want a flex TE to be terrific in Sarkisian’s offense, they need to be homegrown or a transfer who will be patient and work within the system for a few years. I think that plays a role in why Texas seems to really want Terry. 

As much as we talk about flex tight ends in Sark's offense, he doesn't really use them very much. Juan Davis is maybe the most effective use since he has been here and he really isn't being utilized except for some H Back type routes in the flats. He seems to do better with in line blockers with athleticism. I could see Washington taking over for Helm next season if he gets his strength up, not sure if Niblack is ever going to make a mark since he can't block and we are going to continue to bring in high end receivers. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could see a scenario where they took everyone and just be honest with Mbatchou that they are going to stash and develop him for 2 or three years and then let him wreck shop as a Jr and Sr. while getting him a masters degree at Texas. 

I have no idea if that would work, but just remember that Georgia and Bama will absolutely be promising earlier playing time. 

I don’t know if this valid or not, but I wonder if Texas has a superior case to make for how they’ve helped African immigrants and second generation kids from those families achieve success on and off the field. Similar to what a UW, BYU, or USC can claim with the Pacific Islanders. Maybe many schools have done it to the level of Texas, but it feels like a lot of guys have thrived at UT with that background. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

As much as we talk about flex tight ends in Sark's offense, he doesn't really use them very much. Juan Davis is maybe the most effective use since he has been here and he really isn't being utilized except for some H Back type routes in the flats. He seems to do better with in line blockers with athleticism. I could see Washington taking over for Helm next season if he gets his strength up, not sure if Niblack is ever going to make a mark since he can't block and we are going to continue to bring in high end receivers. 

My view is that JT Sanders was a flex TE. He blocked in-line sometimes, but most flex TEs at a high level will give you that. Call it what you want, but they wanted Niblack to fill the Sanders role and it’s not taking shape, yet, at least. Now there’s transfer risk (not saying he’s talking about leaving, just being real looking at it) and, if so, serious money poorly spent. 

If you think you can find another JT Sanders willing to sit and learn for a year and then be that guy, you take them out of HS every time. That’s what they’re thinking with Terry. 

If you have weapons at both TE and Flex TE, the offense becomes that much more of a juggernaut. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know if this valid or not, but I wonder if Texas has a superior case to make for how they’ve helped African immigrants and second generation kids from those families achieve success on and off the field. Similar to what a UW, BYU, or USC can claim with the Pacific Islanders. Maybe many schools have done it to the level of Texas, but it feels like a lot of guys have thrived at UT with that background. 

Gbenda and Omenihu would definitely be a testament to that just off the top of my head for recent players. Also Omenihu went from a 3 star to a starter for the Chiefs. The data is definitely there to back that statement up.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Gbenda and Omenihu would definitely be a testament to that just off the top of my head for recent players. Also Omenihu went from a 3 star to a starter for the Chiefs. The data is definitely there to back that statement up.

Ojomo, the Achos, Ogbanayya, Okafor, Ossai, Agbo also.  All are great examples to sell to recruits and their parents.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 9

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Are we still looking at the CB commit to Auburn that took an OV in the summer?  Believe it was said he'd be returning for a game (maybe this week?).  

https://www.on3.com/db/devin-williams-158422/

I don’t know about that one, but for sure they are on Dijon Lee. That said, so is Georgia. The Georgia mods seem to believe that he is the likeliest flip that they are pursuing this cycle, fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm pretty sure it was Okam, but I believe we had one player stay an extra year to complete his degree so med school would be an option if needed. Assuming I'm right about it being Okam, it actually hurt his draft stock. I would think that the selling point of a UT degree (and potentially a grad degree if additional development is needed) would be a hell of a selling point to a lot of parents. 

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Ojomo, the Achos, Ogbanayya, Okafor, Ossai, Agbo also.  All are great examples to sell to recruits and their parents.

And who could forget 5 star Reggie Wilso... uh, never mind

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The ecosystem at Texas for folks with that background is highly conducive for on and off field success.

Agree on this-I’ve talked about this before but I’ve been told UT still has a mixed reputation in some corners of the African American community (mainly urban Dallas and Houston to a smaller degree).  

It might be that first generation kids don’t have the same inherited baggage, or maybe African parents are indifferent to everything but current academic rankings.  Additionally helpful is that there are first-gen African descent kids on campus for pure academics and it’s not a token presence.  Either way, there’s quite a few success stories to tout if you’re trying to sell the school.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It now seems really clear that they’ve expanded their DE/Edge number to 3 and they’re getting Hilson this weekend barring something super weird. That will be the best DE/Edge haul in the country, following what probably was in the 2024 class. 

This is 180 from just 2 months ago when, rightly justified, most everyone was questioning Baker and his ability to recruit. Not sure how much of the change is Baker vs just being the fucking number 1 team in the land. Maybe both? I don't care. I just hope we keep fucking them brakes.

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is 180 from just 2 months ago when, rightly justified, most everyone was questioning Baker and his ability to recruit. Not sure how much of the change is Baker vs just being the fucking number 1 team in the land. Maybe both? I don't care. I just hope we keep fucking them brakes.

If it turns out to be 180° off, was it rightly justified or wrongly premature?

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If it turns out to be 180° off, was it rightly justified or wrongly premature?

It was probably justified at the time because we were losing recruits to other programs, and it was premature because Baker needed time to build the relationships and because we are now the number 1 team in America, and all that that implies.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I thought Baker exclusively coached/recruited DTs and was not over DEs/EDGE. Thought that was Kwiatkowski. Am I mistaken? 

That’s how I recall it, but let’s not allow facts to get in the way of a good Surly narrative…

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know about that one, but for sure they are on Dijon Lee. That said, so is Georgia. The Georgia mods seem to believe that he is the likeliest flip that they are pursuing this cycle, fwiw. 

I say bring Dijon Lee in for the Georgia-Texas game and let the chips fall where they may.  If we win, we're off to the races. If we lose, we'll see. He's a great player, but "found money" at this point.

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I thought Baker exclusively coached/recruited DTs and was not over DEs/EDGE. Thought that was Kwiatkowski. Am I mistaken? 

10 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

That’s how I recall it, but let’s not allow facts to get in the way of a good Surly narrative…

Nansen and PK both coach the LB/Edge while Baker is focused on DTs. That being said, I don't think these are hard and fast lines. Like the much discussed change from calling the outside position on the DL the "defensive end" to the "edge," there is a lot of cross over between the position groups. I'm sure Baker is in on recruiting DE/Edge if it makes sense for him to be a part of the process. 

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

Nansen and PK both coach the LB/Edge while Baker is focused on DTs. That being said, I don't think these are hard and fast lines. Like the much discussed change from calling the outside position on the DL the "defensive end" to the "edge," there is a lot of cross over between the position groups. I'm sure Baker is in on recruiting DE/Edge if it makes sense for him to be a part of the process. 

Makes total sense. I guess the point I'm making is that I don't know how much recruiting success of Jackson/Orogbo/Hilson (fingers crossed) can be attributed to Baker. I'm happy things have turned around on DT recruiting, but the jury's still out on Baker as a recruiter and a coach. However, the data points are trending in a positive direction, which is welcome and reassuring after an objectively shaky start. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

19 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

The way I understand it this year is Baker coaches the whole line now as far as pass rush goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Coach Baker has Vernon Broughton playing damn good ball, when I had already given up on him. The recruiting questions are legit but he has found a way to get something out of Vernon. Hoping he can work some magic with the young pups. January looks like he will be a good one, while it’s looking like Bledsoe and Mitchell are on the verge of washing out. Bryant definitely needs to come on soon. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

Coach Baker has Vernon Broughton playing damn good ball, when I had already given up on him. The recruiting questions are legit but he has found a way to get something out of Vernon. Hoping he can work some magic with the young pups. January looks like he will be a good one, while it’s looking like Bledsoe and Mitchell are on the verge of washing out. Bryant definitely needs to come on soon. 

Bryant has been dinged up, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

Houston with the oil industry has always had a strong West African, primarily Nigeria and Ghana, community.    Not surprising we have always done well with that demo.  Those guys parents are almost always professionals (engineers, doctors etc) that will actually value the relatively unique education/athletic combination that Texas offers.  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

You stupid fucks weren't rightly justified into questioning shit. You were overreacting like middle school girls to your 1st crush kissing your best friend. Every year it's the same shit, Texas has a less than stellar summer(where 2/3 of this forum loses their collective shit), followed by flipmas season. Sarkisian doesn't even really start recruiting until August.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

You stupid fucks weren't rightly justified into questioning shit. You were overreacting like middle school girls to your 1st crush kissing your best friend. Every year it's the same shit, Texas has a less than stellar summer(where 2/3 of this forum loses their collective shit), followed by flipmas season. Sarkisian doesn't even really start recruiting until August.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Thats My Fetish Glow GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

What if her 1st crush is her best friend?

image.jpeg.ef8d35fb6133aa5fed5a17780ae4d883.jpeg