Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Dorian Brew showed up per 247.

Conroe Top247 defensive back and Oregon commit Dorian Brew is currently on campus for an unofficial visit for the Texas-Georgia game.

A source confirmed the trip to Horns247 earlier today, but we wanted to wait to report it until the Top247 prospect was already on campus. 

Brew has been committed to the Ducks since June 29 and he chose the Ducks after taking five official visits to LSU (May 31-June 2), USC (June 7-9), Oregon (June 14-16), Texas (June 18-20), and Ohio State (June 21-23).

However, back in the summer a source close to the recruitment told Horns247 it was Texas and USC who finished as the runner ups to the Ducks, and that LSU and Ohio State weren't really in the picture when it came time to make a decision in late June. 

Besides his Texas official visit he took midweek June 18-20, the last time Brew saw the Longhorns staff was when Steve Sarkisian and cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph swung by Conroe High School the morning of Friday Oct. 4 to meet with Brew. 

Brew also took two trips to Texas earlier in the year when he took in the Jan. 20 Junior Day as well as the Apr. 6 Longhorns City Limits recruiting event. 

The Top247 prospect was recently on campus in Eugene for No. 3 Oregon's win over No. 2 Ohio State, which was Oregon's first win over a team ranked in the top two in Ducks program history. After the win, the Ducks moved to the No. 2 spot on the AP Poll behind the No. 1 Longhorns. 

Horns247 reported earlier this month that a source in Austin felt as if the Longhorns were "in striking distance" of the Oregon commit. In the same story, Horns247 also reported that a separate source believed Brew would be open to taking a visit to Texas, with the source believing the Georgia game made the most sense. 

Now that Brew's on campus for the Texas-Georgia game this evening, could the Longhorns inch closer to landing another Top247 prospect to add to their No. 6 ranked recruiting class?

Brew's scouting report from 247Sports Director of Scouting Andrew Ivins reads as follows.

"Good-sized corner prospect. Looks to have a thicker build through the mid-line. Primarily plays press-man and off-man coverages. Noticeably physical and will lower the shoulder to make open-field stops, which suggest boundary role potential, although will need to get better disengaging from blocks. Pretty sticky in coverage, especially on the underneath stuff. Needs to learn to more consistently turn and locate the ball, but frequently puts himself where he needs to be with strong body positioning.

Owns strong multi-sport context with several sub-11.00 100-meter reps. Can play more consistently to those impressive speed markers in pads. Projects as a high-major cover man who could potentially play multiple roles in the secondary. Long-term ceiling should be high given physical tools and verified athleticism."

At 6-foot, 200 pounds Brew is ranked as the No. 39 overall prospect in the nation, the No. 5 cornerback in the nation, and the No. 12 overall prospect in the state of Texas according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Well so much for the biggest recruiting weekend in over a decade. 

Sark's offense getting pantsed by Kirby. He's scouted way too well and their defense is keyed in. 

Obligatory note: single game results matter less than fans think

Be grumpy on the football board

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Obligatory note: single game results matter less than fans think

Be grumpy on the football board

Thank you. One of the many reasons I hate losses is because the football board starts bleeding into this board. The recruits are level headed enough to realize that: a) our team didn't play very well (although UGA had something to do with that too); b) individual game results vary wildly; and c) this isn't the end of the world. Not even close

We'll be just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, HtownHorn said:

Perhaps take your stupidity back to the game threads where it belongs.

Like most of your posts, this aged really well. 

Someone please tell me getting butt fucked tonight when we went all in on recruiting for this game is not the end of the world. 

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Someone please tell me getting butt fucked tonight when we went all in on recruiting for this game is not the end of the world. 

Getting butt fucked tonight when we went all in on recruiting for this game is not the end of the world.

Seriously though, we lost to Kansas and still ended up with the third ranked recruiting class. This loss isn’t as catastrophic as it feels right now, at least when it comes to recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Getting butt fucked tonight when we went all in on recruiting for this game is not the end of the world.

Seriously though, we lost to Kansas and still ended up with the third ranked recruiting class. This loss isn’t as catastrophic as it feels right now, at least when it comes to recruiting. 
Fuck that, we got embarrassed at home in front of a shitload of recruits. If anything that was an advertisement for the figtin' Kirby's.

47 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Thank you. One of the many reasons I hate losses is because the football board starts bleeding into this board. The recruits are level headed enough to realize that: a) our team didn't play very well (although UGA had something to do with that too); b) individual game results vary wildly; and c) this isn't the end of the world. Not even close

We'll be just fine. 

High school kids are less reactionary than supposedly college educated adults?

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, TXRed said:

Fuck that, we got embarrassed at home in front of a shitload of recruits. If anything that was an advertisement for the figtin' Kirby's.

Maybe take the dog for a walk or count to 10 backwards.   FFS man, overreacting is an understatement.  

Had we quit or continued with total offensive ineptitude in the second half, I'd be more concerned. The crowd sounded great. We fought back. It was a game of huge magnitude. 

I'm more concerned with Ewers' pocket presence and us fucking up trick plays and inability to complete passes on clever pass plays than recruiting right now. Also our failure on "aggressive" fourth downs. I don't want to forget about that.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

If we were gonna lose a game, this is the one. Teams needs to bounce back and get their head straight for Vanderbilt. Go undefeated rest of season. Flip more recruits. Prosper. We have some stuff to work on, better to find out now than later in the season or when it’s too late. Let’s get it.

Whoever wins the championship games is gonna have one loss, no one is going undefeated this year.

• Hook 'Em 9

Since Ewers came back, in his 2 games his footwork is all off.  Any throw over 15 yards he’s on the wrong foot. Lots of back footed throws.  I don’t know if it’s him protecting his injury or what.  He looks like a completely different player in the last 2 weeks. I saw our o line get beat. They looked a step slow.  The defense Kirby played was also a step ahead.  If I am a recruit, I see a TEAM.  I see fans that CARE.  That’s what the recruits want. 

The good news is when we win out, we will get a rematch in Atlanta.  We will have tape on them.  I like our chances in December 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Had we quit or continued with total offensive ineptitude in the second half, I'd be more concerned. The crowd sounded great. We fought back. It was a game of huge magnitude. 

I'm more concerned with Ewers' pocket presence and us fucking up trick plays and inability to complete passes on clever pass plays than recruiting right now. Also our failure on "aggressive" fourth downs. I don't want to forget about that.

Agree. There was a time in that game when I was worried that the roof might cave in and it would end up a humiliating 50-7 type blowout. UGA was the better team, no doubt about it, but the defense never quit fighting and the offense did enough in the 3rd quarter to avoid the worst case scenario. 

To be clear: we didn’t “just run out of time” last night, they convincingly beat us. But we did show some pride and a great atmosphere to the recruits. This is still a team with a great shot at the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Agree. There was a time in that game when I was worried that the roof might cave in and it would end up a humiliating 50-7 type blowout. UGA was the better team, no doubt about it, but the defense never quit fighting and the offense did enough in the 3rd quarter to avoid the worst case scenario. 

To be clear: we didn’t “just run out of time” last night, they convincingly beat us. But we did show some pride and a great atmosphere to the recruits. This is still a team with a great shot at the playoffs. 

Georgia couldn't run the ball or throw the ball and still hung 30 on us. That kind of tells you how poor we played in the first half on offense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Since Ewers came back, in his 2 games his footwork is all off.  Any throw over 15 yards he’s on the wrong foot. Lots of back footed throws.  I don’t know if it’s him protecting his injury or what.  He looks like a completely different player in the last 2 weeks. I saw our o line get beat. They looked a step slow.  The defense Kirby played was also a step ahead.  If I am a recruit, I see a TEAM.  I see fans that CARE.  That’s what the recruits want. 

The good news is when we win out, we will get a rematch in Atlanta.  We will have tape on them.  I like our chances in December 

My bigger concern is our QB has completely regressed to year one Quinn since his injury and our offense has been reduced to Ewers checking down on every play. He’s either not healthy or not confident enough to move the ball downfield. If that doesn’t get fixed quickly we will rack up more losses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Recruits realize that in a good not perfect season with one or a few losses, it means there may still be early playing time potential. One game or few should not sway a recruit’s mind. Florida State’s implosion should cause a recruit to think twice. 

Edited by Dbeasy

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Georgia couldn't run the ball or throw the ball and still hung 30 on us. That kind of tells you how poor we played in the first half on offense.

Yep. The announcers harped on the GA OL in the first half. They scored just about all of their points on 130 yards of offense. Forcing three field goals (two of them pretty long, their kickers are great) on short fields kept us tenuously in the game instead of totally out of it at the half.

It's possible Georgia could have got those points anyway, but we were turning their QB over on longer possessions.

The OL sometimes struggled with the rush, but sometimes Ewers bailed from a clean pocket or didn't just step up into it. It was wise of Sark to take him out for awhile. Still, in the fourth quarter, Ewers clenched up again.

I'll be happy for a rematch should we get that shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope to be forgiven for raising a purely football question on this recruiting thread, but the football board is a beating after a loss or even after a win sometimes.

Am I wrong thinking that Ewers is bolting from the pocket without cause sometimes? Am I wrong thinking I see that sometimes he needs to step up? The first sack marked up against our LT likely would have been averted if Ewers' pocket presence was better.

I don't blame Ewers for the blind side tackle that forced one of the disastrous fumbles. I did feel like he was not checking down through all receivers but, rather, zeroing in on one then going straight to the safety valve.

He's off. We've seen him slice and dice Alabama in huge games and same with OU. 

I don't have the eye many of you do, but I don't just default to blaming the QB for everything. 

Georgia sure did a lot of targeting last night. Smart is an insufferable asshole to watch during the game. It will be nice to shut his mouth at some point. He's agrieved about something every goddamn play. 

Thanks for the forebearance.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hope to be forgiven for raising a purely football question on this recruiting thread, but the football board is a beating after a loss or even after a win sometimes.

Am I wrong thinking that Ewers is bolting from the pocket without cause sometimes? Am I wrong thinking I see that sometimes he needs to step up? The first sack marked up against our LT likely would have been averted if Ewers' pocket presence was better.

I don't blame Ewers for the blind side tackle that forced one of the disastrous fumbles. I did feel like he was not checking down through all receivers but, rather, zeroing in on one then going straight to the safety valve.

He's off. We've seen him slice and dice Alabama in huge games and same with OU. 

I don't have the eye many of you do, but I don't just default to blaming the QB for everything. 

Georgia sure did a lot of targeting last night. Smart is an insufferable asshole to watch during the game. It will be nice to shut his mouth at some point. He's agrieved about something every goddamn play. 

Thanks for the forebearance.

You are absolutely correct. Part of that, last night at least, was our OL getting whipped in a way I have not seen this unit get whipped. I'd imagine he was hearing footsteps after getting rocked by that corner blitz in particular. But, just as much, Quinn is off. Something isn't right there