Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

46 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

You are absolutely correct. Part of that, last night at least, was our OL getting whipped in a way I have not seen this unit get whipped. I'd imagine he was hearing footsteps after getting rocked by that corner blitz in particular. But, just as much, Quinn is off. Something isn't right there

Last night was the first time our OL struggled like this in a while. I'm reasonably confident they'll return to form against Vandy and Arky's D-lines.

Not so confident Ewers will do the same. He's been decidedly mediocre since the start of the blOU game.

• Hook 'Em 3

Our defense was served a platter of dog shit Quinn all night and still played really good.  3 interceptions and 250 yards of offense should win any game by any team not led by a stoic statue with zero leadership qualities a blind deaf pocket presence and zero fucking ability to throw beyond 6 yards.   The defense was given a short field all night and even on the one inch line was fighting for the game.  That was the big take away. 

our offense with weapons all over will never do shit with a pussy weak spined “leader” like Quinn  this dude is more overrated than Garret fucking Gilbert. Even his short passes to wide open dudes weren’t on.  Case McCoy redux on the other side in this offense would have scored more.   Miss state true frosh qb had 300 yards and 3 tds vs UGA.  Quinn is the liability the O line while being smoked still gave Quinn a pocket that he refused to step up into 

bottom line recruits aren’t bailing because Quinn fucking sucks 

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Our defense was served a platter of dog shit Quinn all night and still played really good.  3 interceptions and 250 yards of offense should win any game by any team not led by a stoic statue with zero leadership qualities a blind deaf pocket presence and zero fucking ability to throw beyond 6 yards.   The defense was given a short field all night and even on the one inch line was fighting for the game.  That was the big take away. 

our offense with weapons all over will never do shit with a pussy weak spined “leader” like Quinn  this dude is more overrated than Garret fucking Gilbert. Even his short passes to wide open dudes weren’t on.  Case McCoy redux on the other side in this offense would have scored more.   Miss state true frosh qb had 300 yards and 3 tds vs UGA.  Quinn is the liability the O line while being smoked still gave Quinn a pocket that he refused to step up into 

bottom line recruits aren’t bailing because Quinn fucking sucks 

Quinn isn’t Garrett Gilbert. He’s Chris Simms playing scared and shrinking in the big games

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Insanely idiotic take. Quinn can never play another down and he’s already infinitely more accomplished as a Longhorn than Garret Gilbert. 

He had a bad game and is clearly struggling, but maybe say this sort of hyperbolic drivel using your inside voice. 

The takes should leave out all of the nonsense psycho analysis about leadership qualities. But this is definitely more than “he had a bad game.” He’s putting horrifically bad stuff on film now and it’s going to be easy to scheme against our offense going forward if this is not addressed. No one should defend against anything beyond 15-20 yards now and all of the misdirection side-to-side movement is easy to recognize now. Quinn does not feel confident throwing to any routes downfield and this is a problem. 

Edited by Newy25

28 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

our offense with weapons all over will never do shit with a pussy weak spined “leader” like Quinn  this dude is more overrated than Garret fucking Gilbert.  

I don’t think you remember how bad Gilbert was. In his Texas career he had 13 TD passes and 23 INTs

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The takes should leave out all of the nonsense psycho analysis about leadership qualities. But this is definitely more than “he had a bad game.” He’s putting horrifically bad stuff on film now and it’s going to be easy to scheme against our offense going forward if this is not addressed. No none should defend against anything beyond 15-20 yards now and all of the misdirection side-to-side movement is easy to recognize now. Quinn does not feel confident throwing to any routes downfield and this is a problem. 

Don’t disagree with any of that. I just don’t see the point in going to such extremes to make the point. You can say he has real physical and mental gaps in his game without throwing something as extreme out there as a Garret Gilbert blast. 

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Like most of your posts, this aged really well. 

Someone please tell me getting butt fucked tonight when we went all in on recruiting for this game is not the end of the world. 

If you think recruiting will take a big hit, then you forgot the players get paid now. You also forgot that everyone loses games and still signs top 5 classes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

Don’t disagree with any of that. I just don’t see the point in going to such extremes to make the point. You can say he has real physical and mental gaps in his game without throwing something as extreme out there as a Garret Gilbert blast. 

Definitely agree. Quinn has been elite at times and it’s frustrating as hell that he has gone backwards since the injury. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yep. The announcers harped on the GA OL in the first half. They scored just about all of their points on 130 yards of offense. Forcing three field goals (two of them pretty long, their kickers are great) on short fields kept us tenuously in the game instead of totally out of it at the half.
It's possible Georgia could have got those points anyway, but we were turning their QB over on longer possessions.
The OL sometimes struggled with the rush, but sometimes Ewers bailed from a clean pocket or didn't just step up into it. It was wise of Sark to take him out for awhile. Still, in the fourth quarter, Ewers clenched up again.
I'll be happy for a rematch should we get that shot.

Why? I don’t think Quinn would show some marked improvement in pocket presence or footwork in the next 6 weeks.

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

The Crystal Ball favors Georgia for Terry. And while Texas' defense had a strong outing, so did the Bulldogs' front seven. Still, Terry isn't rushing to any conclusions yet.

"I'd say everything's still the same," he said. "A loss don't define you. You take wins and losses in life."

Perfect.

27 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Texas makes 'big jump' for 5-star DL Justus Terry after official visit

Hank South (Horns 247)

Hide contents

Texas makes 'big jump' for 5-star DL Justus Terry after official visit

Hank South (Horns 247)

AUSTIN, Texas — Five-star defensive lineman Justus Terry made his first-ever trip to Texas this weekend for an official visit. The Manchester (Ga.) product was at one point committed to both Georgia and USC. Now open, the Longhorns are taking their swing.

"Everything was good," Terry told Horns247 on his way out of Austin. "I loved the atmosphere, the city. Everything was good from the players, the coaching staff, the fans. I loved everything."

Terry was joined by his parents for the two-day stay. The staff put their best foot forward.

"They kind of made an improvement," he said of where Texas stands in his recruitment. "Just coming out here, they answered a lot of my questions. When I came out here I was just opened-minded. They made a big jump on my recruitment."

The Crystal Ball favors Georgia for Terry. And while Texas' defense had a strong outing, so did the Bulldogs' front seven. Still, Terry isn't rushing to any conclusions yet.

"I'd say everything's still the same," he said. "A loss don't define you. You take wins and losses in life."

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Terry is ranked the No. 2 defensive lineman and the No. 7 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Back up the truck 

• Hook 'Em 8

Texas still alive in race for Texas A&M commit Kelshaun Johnson
Horns247 caught up with four-star wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson following his return visit to the Forty Acres on Saturday.
Hank South

"He (Chris Jackson) said whenever I make that move, if I make that move, he's one phone call away."

"Is Johnson still solid with the Aggies?"

"For right now, yeah," he said.

Spoiler

Texas still alive in race for Texas A&M commit Kelshaun Johnson
Horns247 caught up with four-star wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson following his return visit to the Forty Acres on Saturday.
Hank South

Texas A&M wide receiver commit Kelshaun Johnson was in attendance for the Texas-Georgia game on Saturday night.

"I thought it was a good game," the Top247 Aggies pledge said. "I thought Texas started off slow but they tried to pick it up in the second half."

And despite the Longhorns falling to the Bulldogs, the program didn't fall in Johnson's eyes.

"It definitely don't hurt," he said. "Just to see how they fought at the end. I know they didn't play their best. I know what kind of team they is."

The Hitchcock (Texas) product arrived in Austin shortly before kickoff.

"I talked to Coach (Chris) Jackson when I first got there," he said. "He's still recruiting me pretty hard. He said whenever I make that move, if I make that move, he's one phone call away."

What prompted the Texas A&M pledge to want to see Texas?

"I took the visit to see it one more time, just so I could make sure on my decision," he said. "I feel like this decision is really hard. I'm just trying to make sure it's a good fit for me. That's why I keep taking visits to make sure it's right."

Is Texas still alive in the race for the in-state pass catcher?

"It's still kind of difficult," he said. "That's why I took the visit."

Johnson said "that's the plan" when asked if he'll be at Texas' home game against Florida or Kentucky. He plans to be at Arkansas for the Texas game as well. And of course College Station for the renewal of the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry.

Is Johnson still solid with the Aggies?

"For right now, yeah," he said.

At 5-foot-11, 160 pounds, Johnson is rated the No. 18 wide receiver and the No. 161 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Well so much for the biggest recruiting weekend in over a decade. 

Sark's offense getting pantsed by Kirby. He's scouted way too well and their defense is keyed in. 

Dude, calm down. Recruits don't even see it that way. A lot of them see it and think they can come in and contribute early. Plus you have to continue to build class after class after class. 

Kirby didn't come in and immediately start beating the shit out of people. He came in and 2 years later made the playoffs, then in 6 years won NC's. Sark is on the same trajectory. Just like I said on the football board, Mike Tyson said he got his ass beat several times before he dominated. We got punched in the mouth. We still have to stack classes to play in this league and compete. We're doing that. It takes times. It was nice to be #1 for awhile,but we were bound to lose at some point. Calm your titties. We'll eventually get there. Recruits are coming in for Arch and Sark to keep building. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

my man denzel GIF

Five-star ATH Michael Terry III sees silver lining in Texas visit despite loss to Georgia

Hank South (Horns 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Five-star ATH Michael Terry III sees silver lining in Texas visit despite loss to Georgia

Hank South (Horns 247)

Five-star athlete and top Texas target Michael Terry III returned to Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for his second game-day visit of the season. The San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights product continues to works towards a decision between Texas, Nebraska, and Oregon.

"It was a great experience as always," Terry told Horns247. "One game doesn't make me feel any different about the team or staff."

And believe it or not, Terry saw the silver lining in seeing the Longhorns drop a game.

"Not really, only that they didn't win," he said of anything that was different about this experience than past experiences on the Forty Acres. "But that was a positive because I got to see the way they picked each other up when they were down and no one was pointing fingers."

The Longhorns hosted a number of their 2025 and '26 commits on the afternoon.

"We talked more than before," Terry said of his time with the Texas pledges. "We had a lot of down time before the game."

A decision is fast approaching for Terry.

"I'm planning on graduating in December, so it's got to be coming soon," he said.

Are there any more visits upcoming?

"I'm focusing more on my last season and my high school education right now," Terry said.

The 6-foot-3, 217-pound Terry is ranked the No. 1 athlete and the No. 24 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Yeah, Terry's dad said regardless of result it doesn't matter to Michael. He's a good kid. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, RichUT said:

Insanely idiotic take. Quinn can never play another down and he’s already infinitely more accomplished as a Longhorn than Garret Gilbert. 

He had a bad game and is clearly struggling, but maybe say this sort of hyperbolic drivel using your inside voice. 

Had this same convo in game text with a buddy during/after game… his take quinn isnt qb1…..i had to inform him qb1 just means the starter…. literally every team has a qb1….. then he pivoted to quinn cant win a big game….. I countered with Bama last yr….. guided his team into playoffs last yr…. and beat Michigan in the Big House this yr …… his retort…. Quinn will never win a ring….. I said that may be true because only one qb wins the ship every yr……. average qb gets 2 seasons to win one.    This aint the NFL where qbs  can last 10+ yrs…… U get probably 2 shots thats it!     He said I was a Romo fan…. I told him he was too drunk…. go to bed.    Damn, some fans!! lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1