Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

TigerDroppings tears must be flowing. They convinced themselves a Moore, Ffrench, and Lockett class was impossible. 

Unless you have a Lambo dealership in town. Sucks to be poor.

Austin%2520Cover.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=607

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well guys, Texas is ruining college football and LSU fan is checking out.

image.thumb.png.02db97b42771f39c990c12da8996294b.png

While I'm glad that Texas in on the right side of the poor/non-poor equation, I actually kind of agree with his sentiment.  I think the NCAA, or a replacement organization, needs to implement some sort of tiered school structure (like UIL) with a salary cap.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Why is LSU so pissy? Shouldn't they be used to this? I don't see how this is any different from Bama cleaning up at WR (Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs, Waddle, etc.) when Sark was there as OC for Saban. Same offense, different school and now with NIL money and Lambos instead of bags.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

While I'm glad that Texas in on the right side of the poor/non-poor equation, I actually kind of agree with his sentiment.  I think the NCAA, or a replacement organization, needs to implement some sort of tiered school structure (like UIL) with a salary cap.

These are things you don't say out loud.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

A cap on NIL? No chance. Go read Kavanaugh's opinion from the Alston case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What happens when bagmen offer above the salary cap?

5 minutes ago, destroya said:

Any restriction on NIL or implementing a salary cap is likely to benefit schools that have played the bag game in the past. Fuck that shit. 

Keep it as is. Free market, everything in the open and above board. And that benefits Texas. 

Preach! 

I'll never understand why any Texas fan would want any type of restrictions placed on NIL. We finally got the clearance that we've wanted for forever now. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, destroya said:

Any restriction on NIL or implementing a salary cap is likely to benefit schools that have played the bag game in the past. Fuck that shit. 

Keep it as is. Free market, everything in the open and above board. And that benefits Texas. 

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

Preach! 

I'll never understand why any Texas fan would want any type of restrictions placed on NIL. We finally got the clearance that we've wanted for forever now. 

You can't restrict NIL because that will be met with lawsuits. You can't tell a business, collective, etc what Player 1's NIL is worth....there is no metric to judge that and it's similar to artwork. Their value is whatever you're willing to pay. 

A cap on revenue sharing, which isn't NIL, should actually be a thing.

As I stated in the thread on the football board. Revenue sharing and NIL are being conflated and they're not the same. We'll have elite revenue sharing if it's a hard cap number or a percentage and I assume we will also have the best NIL deals in the works via corporate or collective.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Can someone remind me who the receiver was that CTJ felt was undeserving of their rank and comes with a myriad of off the field issues ala Chris Marshall? Is it one of the ones we're currently leading for?

Marsh

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You can't restrict NIL because that will be met with lawsuits. You can't tell a business, collective, etc what Player 1's NIL is worth....there is no metric to judge that and it's similar to artwork. Their value is whatever you're willing to pay. 

A cap on revenue sharing, which isn't NIL, should actually be a thing.

As I stated in the thread on the football board. Revenue sharing and NIL are being conflated and they're not the same. We'll have elite revenue sharing if it's a hard cap number or a percentage and I assume we will also have the best NIL deals in the works via corporate or collective.

I do understand the difference but that's not what was being discussed. That LSU poster was complaining about NIL, not revenue sharing. 

15 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I do understand the difference but that's not what was being discussed. That LSU poster was complaining about NIL, not revenue sharing. 

It is what's being discussed.  NIL is just code word for paying players, but you know that already.

Actual NIL is just endorsements, and I'm not against any player making as much as they can from endorsements, but if you think that's how NIL is actually working, you're either insane or being disingenuous.  

This is why I said I understand the "sentiment" of the LSU poster.  

College football has jumped the "amateur" shark, so we should just stop pretending that these kids aren't professional athletes.  There needs to be revenue sharing and salary caps.  Hell, I don't even think they should be made to go to class.  I think they should have access to scholarships and be able to play school while playing if they choose to, but also allow them to postpone going to school until after their football careers are over.  

College football is just an NFL development league and should be treated as such.... the NFL has a salary cap, and so should college football.  

I recognize there are people who disagree, but that's my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 6

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

College football is just an NFL development league and should be treated as such.... the NFL has a salary cap, and so should college football.  

I might be misreading your post, but are you proposing salary caps on endorsements? 

55 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

So when the same 3/4 teams were winning it every year because of bags, the sport was just fine, but now that its a different 3/4 schools, its a problem that must be fixed for the love of the game.

Everybody's got a special kind of story. Everybody finds a way to shine.
It don't matter that you got not a lot.
So what? They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine because it takes different strokes to move the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I might be misreading your post, but are you proposing salary caps on endorsements? 

No... I'm advocating for players being paid by the school directly... IE being employees.

Endorsements would be up to them and their agents to secure.  But they'd be real endorsements instead of being glorified bag payments like they are now.  

I mean does anyone really believe 3* DT recruits are signing actual endorsement deals?  There are probably only a handful of players on the Texas roster with actual endorsement deals.

Posted (edited)

Salary caps are fine if you like watching mediocrity.  I'd rather watch Longhorn teams that are so good pundits talk about high they should rank historically.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Salary caps are fine if you like watching mediocrity.  I'd rather watch Longhorn teams that are so good pundits talk about high they should rank historically.

So, all American pro sports leagues are mediocre?  Or do you not count the MLB's "luxury tax" as a salary cap?

Edited by DixonHur

24 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It is what's being discussed.  NIL is just code word for paying players, but you know that already.

Actual NIL is just endorsements, and I'm not against any player making as much as they can from endorsements, but if you think that's how NIL is actually working, you're either insane or being disingenuous.  

This is why I said I understand the "sentiment" of the LSU poster.  

College football has jumped the "amateur" shark, so we should just stop pretending that these kids aren't professional athletes.  There needs to be revenue sharing and salary caps.  Hell, I don't even think they should be made to go to class.  I think they should have access to scholarships and be able to play school while playing if they choose to, but also allow them to postpone going to school until after their football careers are over.  

I recognize there are people who disagree, but that's my opinion.

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

No... I'm advocating for players being paid by the school directly... IE being employees.

Endorsements would be up to them and their agents to secure.  But they'd be real endorsements instead of being glorified bag payments like they are now.  

I mean does anyone really believe 3* DT recruits are signing actual endorsement deals?  There are probably only a handful of players on the Texas roster with actual endorsement deals.

You seem confused here. There could be, and likely will be, direct pay from schools with a salary cap (but that will require some type of collective bargaining with the players).

There is no way to legally put a cap on NIL. Those are two completely separate things.  There’s no scenario where NIL gets counted into the cap. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I guess--my understanding from the guys getting top billing at the Texas One Fund event is that they take seriously that there's an actual endorsement made (like the Arnold and Itkin interviews).  They also take compliance seriously, just like everyone else does that wants to be welcome at Bellmont. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So, all American pro sports leagues are mediocre?  Or do you not count the MLB's "luxury tax" as a salary cap?

Yes, the NFL is a whole bunch of medicority now compared to what it was before the salary cap.  MLB is better because the cap is soft and isn't set so low comparatively as the NFL's cap.  Both have effected the quality of good teams though.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You seem confused here. There could be, and likely will be, direct pay from schools with a salary cap (but that will require some type of collective bargaining with the players).

There is no way to legally put a cap on NIL. Those are two completely separate things.  There’s no scenario where NIL gets counted into the cap. 

I'm not suggesting different.  I'm saying NIL, the way it's operating now, is not different that the "bag man" days, aside from being legal and relatively public.  

In my view, what we refer to as NIL would go away and be replaced by direct payment (employment) and that all money earned through real endorsements would be up to the individual. 

No differently than how it's done in the NFL.

Basically, HS players would be the equivalent of NFL free agents.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yes, the NFL is a whole bunch of medicority now compared to what it was before the salary cap.  MLB is better because the cap is soft and isn't set so low comparatively as the NFL's cap.  Both have effected the quality of good teams though.

This sounds like old man, "back in my day" talk.  The NFL is not worse because of the salary cap. 

It's worse because of free agency and the sheer amount money involved. 

Posted (edited)

I have no issue with free agency.  It's fair.  I have a problem when good teams are punished for drafting well.  I am also very confused why any fan of Texas Football would be upset about the current landscape.  It might as well have been tailored to our needs.

Edited by kevwun

14 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I guess--my understanding from the guys getting top billing at the Texas One Fund event is that they take seriously that there's an actual endorsement made (like the Arnold and Itkin interviews).  They also take compliance seriously, just like everyone else does that wants to be welcome at Bellmont. 

Come on man... that's like an aggy owned car dealership in Nacogdoches hiring football players to wash cars at the lot for $25k back in the day... where attendance was optional.