Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

On 5/29/2024 at 7:59 PM, JBJ said:

He looks like more of a project RB.  Or I'm just used to every RB we sign looking NFL-ready.

One other possibility is that your evaluation of RBs is sub-par.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, cochamps said:

One other possibility is that your evaluation of RBs is sub-par.

Definitely a possibility since my "evaluation" was watching the first half of his pinned hudl.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:58 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Think it was mentioned, but Brandon Brown and Zion Williams are at LSU this weekend for OV's.

Let them bond this weekend and then dump a bank load of [suggestions for] NIL [possibilities] all over the boaff of ‘em before they leave their official visits in Austin.

I think that LSU & Bo can only do so much. At least that’s what I’ve been led to believe and I’m believing it because I want it to be true. 

"Let them bond this weekend and then dump a bank load of [suggestions for] NIL [possibilities] all over the boaff of ‘em before they leave their official visits in Austin.

I think that LSU & Bo can only do so much. At least that’s what I’ve been led to believe and I’m believing it because I want it to be true. "

Here is a sample of the proposed NIL deals?

image.png.385a2be9232f0aeca46f09a11d0316c8.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

247 Texas Recruiting Quick Hitters from a loaded Elite Camp

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas hosted its annual Elite Camp on the Forty Acres on Saturday. Here's all the recruiting buzz we've gathered so far, with much more to come in the days to follow. This doesn't include every single camper, but many of the notable ones in attendance. 

Monroe (La.) Ouachita Parish 2026 four-star defensive line Dylan Berymon

Berymon worked out on Saturday and earned an offer. He visited Texas earlier in the week and stayed in the Austin area with family in Cedar Park before returning to campus. Berymon says new defensive line coach Kenny Baker is like a father figure to him and it's his best relationship in recruiting so far. This will be a Texas-LSU battle. Texas likes Berymon as a true nose.

Shreveport (La.) Evangel Christian Academy 2027 quarterback Peyton Houston

One of the first 2027 quarterback offers extended. Houston is close with new Texas running back commit James Simon. It's still extremely early for him, but Texas will "definitely one of the top" schools for the Bayou State product. Loves the quarterback development under Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee. Will be at Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, and Tennessee in the coming weeks. Visited Alabama recently. Grew up an LSU fan.

San Antonio Madison 2026 four-star wide receiver Jordan Clay

Clay earned his dream offer today after visiting for the Orange-White game back in April. Texas was already one of his top schools without offering, and now the program is cemented in his top five with Arizona State, Baylor, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. Clay said his mom cried when he got the news. Texas is trending up in this one.

Legacy School of Sport Sciences 2026 wide receiver Mike Brown

Brown has been waiting on the Texas offer. He's actually from Austin originally. Brown says the program is his top three now that UT has offered. Loves the atmosphere. Game experience last season blew him away. LSU, TCU, and Ohio State visits are upcoming. Texas A&M is a team to watch early. His dad, Reggie, played for the Aggies.

Mansfield Lake Ridge 2026 four-star offensive tackle Felix Ojo

The Texas staff loves Ojo, who checked in at 6-foot-7, 283 pounds. He earned an offer after his workout. Ojo's upcoming visit schedule includes Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Florida State. Ojo loves that Texas went to the playoffs and their draft success this year. He says the program "stands pretty high" right now. Calls the program a dream school.

Huntington Beach 2027 quarterback Brady Edmunds

Edmunds was the other 2027 quarterback to get offered by a very selective staff when it comes to offering quarterbacks. He had one of the strongest days under center. "Not only just because it's Texas but because it's a relationship I've been building for the past several months so to finally here I've been offered is awesome," he told Horns247. "It's pretty early on for me still but with them being one of the top programs in the nation and someone that I already have a great relationship with, they're definitely up there."

Cy Ranch 2027 defensive lineman Amari Vickerson

Vickerson is only going into his sophomore year but already has size beyond his years. Defensive line coach Kenny Baker worked with him, praising his bend, ability to turn the corner, etc.

Temple 2026 four-star edge Jamarion Carlton

The Longhorns told Carlton they've been a fan of his for a while and had been wanting to offer, but wanted his offer to come from Steve Sarkisian in an in-person meeting. That it did, and Carlton gave quotes on record about how he came close to crying after receiving his offer. Ranked as a defensive lineman by 247Sports for now, Carlton's offer from Texas actually happens to be at the EDGE position. In talking to sources in Temple about Carlton over the past few months I was told multiple times that the family is super high on the Longhorns, so I didn't really find it surprising when Carlton's father showed up decked out in burnt orange. (Scruggs)

Dallas South Oak Cliff 2027 offensive tackle Brian Swanson

To my knowledge Swanson is the only 2027 in-state offensive or defensive lineman that holds a Texas offer. It's incredibly early in the process for him, but he's more than on pace to being a Top247 level prospect that finishes his career with 30+ offers when it's all said and done. Again, it's still early, but the chances are decent that Swanson could end up being the same level of target as Michael Fasusi or John Turntine but for the 2027 cycle. (Scruggs)

Other new offers. More intel to come:

Midlothian 2026 interior offensive lineman Noah Best

Port Arthur Memorial 2026 cornerback Brock King

Waco Connally 2026 cornerback Jamarion Vincent

Klein 2026 interior offensive lineman Nicolas Robertson

Targets/Propsects 

Carrollton (Ga.) five-star safety Zelus Hicks

One of the few five-stars in attendance, Texas left a great impression on Hicks for what was his second visit to Austin. Hicks says his parents want to move to Texas when he goes to college, which could give the Longhorns an added advantage when the time comes. His aunt is former Dallas County DA Faith Johnson. Hicks plans to drop a top 12 in a few days. Hicks wants to get up to Ohio State and Tennessee.

Carthage 2026 four-star linebacker Daquives Beck

Beck loved Johnny Nansen's aggressive coaching. Sarkisian talked to Beck about the culture in Austin. Beck is visiting Texas Tech later this month, and potentially Texas A&M next week. He checked in at 6-foot-1, 192 pounds. He'll be one of Texas' top linebacker targets in the 2026 cycle. (South)

Texarkana (Texas) High 2026 four-star running back Tradarian Ball

Another great visit for one of UT's top running back targets in the entire 2026 cycle. The Longhorns continue to be in strong position for the in-state back, per sources.

San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills four-star quarterback Troy Huhn

Huhn returned for what was his fourth or fifth trip to Austin, joined by his mom this time. Huhn says he felt like he had a good day throwing and was looking to get some questions answered by the staff, which he did. Huhn left after spending time with Steve Sarkisian this afternoon. He might return for game this fall. Clemson, Auburn, Michigan and Penn State visits are upcoming. We're learning more towards the chances of Dia Bell ending up in this class at this point in time. (South)

North Crowley 2026 five-star offensive tackle John Turntine III

It was his third time on campus in the year 2024, and in talking to Turntine it seemed like the best experience he's had visiting the Forty Acres so far. It's clear as day that he's the highest offensive lineman on the board in 2026 and we expect the same to continue through the end of the cycle. There's still a really long way to go and it's anticipated to be a slugfest, but with Turntine having family ties to the Longhorns and having been a top priority across the board for some time, Horns247 believes Turntine will eventually end up in the Longhorns' 2026 class. (Scruggs)

Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne four-star quarterback Jaden O'Neal

Short and sweet — this was the first visit to Austin and likely the last. Oklahoma is likely the landing spot. Texas' 2026 focus is currently on Dia Bell and Troy Huhn. (South)

Nashville (Tenn.) Lipscomb Academy 2025 three-star defensive lineman Amir Leonard-Jean Charles

One of the handful of 2025 prospects camping today, Charles told the media that he's working on setting up a Texas official visit for the June 21-23 weekend but that defensive line coach Kenny Baker still needs to confirm it. At the time being, Syracuse and West Virginia are the only schools set to receive officials. If the Longhorns were to push, we feel like the recruitment would be over rather quickly and in favor of Texas. (Scruggs)

Mayde Creek 2026 four-star linebacker Kosi Okpala

Okpala worked with Johnny Nansen today. He's become close with him, as well as Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian. This was his first camp environment at Texas. This will come down to the Longhorns against Texas A&M for Okpala's signature. (South)

Shadow Creek 2026 wide receiver Chris Stewart

Having received his first offer by way of Texas and Blake Gideon following the end of his sophomore season, Stewart has long been wanting to solidify his relationship with Chris Jackson and he feels like that got done today. Although he's unranked, Stewart is my favorite WR in the in-state class and in talking to sources at camp it was clear he had one of, if not the top receiver performance. The last camper to be dropped off in the parking lot at the very end, Stewart spent a lot of time talking with coaches throughout the day with his whole family. Wanting to stay close to home for his college ball, Horns247 continues to like the Longhorns chances for the short and long term. The only other visit on the calendar for the summer is a trip to College Station he'll take later this month (Scruggs)

Stockton (Calif.) St. Mary's 2026 three-star wide receiver Kenneth Moore III

Moore considers Texas his dream school. He loves the school as a whole. Said he wanted to come to Austin to "chase his dreams." He didn't leave with an offer but did speak with Steve Sarkisian during the trip who told him to just keep working. Oregon, San Diego State, Cal and Stanford are up next. (South)

Waco University 2026 four-star athlete London Smith

Smith couldn't work out on Saturday due to an arm injury. He spent time with both Terry Jospeh and Chris Jackson. Texas continues to recruit him as a true athlete. Smith says he doesn't have a list but Texas will be up there since they're right around the corner from Waco. Smith is visiting Oregon next week. Wants to get back to Texas A&M and visit Alabama and Georgia. The Top100 athlete is going to take his time with the process, but sources feel like it'll come down to Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor when all is said and done. (South)

Palestine 2026 cornerback S'Vioarean Martin

Martin took this quote away from Terry Joseph: "You want to be elite or you want to be cool." He loves Texas. An offer would likely put UT atop his list of what's currently nine offers. Martin skipped the TCU camp to come to Austin today. (South)

Flower Mound 2026 three-star interior offensive lineman Drew Evers

As long as Kyle Flood is in Austin, we feel as if Texas will always be a school in high contention for Evers. One of the first o-linemen in the class to receive an offer from Texas, Evers has been one of the main 2026 OL targets since the beginning and the trend seems to be continuing. His second time in Austin in the year 2024, Evers enjoyed this trip more than the first due to getting to spend time getting coached up one-on-one by coach Flood. (Scruggs)

Lakeview Centennial 2027 cornerback Montre Jackson

Jackson got coached up by Terry Joseph, who told him to work on his feet. Jackson didn't leave with an offer but is a strong candidate for one in the future. Jackson also calls Texas a dream school. He also likes the track and field team as well. Oklahoma, Baylor and potentially LSU are up next for visits. (South)

Carthage 2026 four-star running back KJ Edwards

Edwards made a quick trip and was in and out after camp. He didn't spend much time with the staff, but still keep in regular contact with Tashard Choice. He still has the Longhorns in his top three with Baylor and Texas A&M. (South)

Richmond Randle 2027 running back Landen Williams-Callis

It's still incredibly early for Williams-Callis but it's clear in talking to him and sources at Texas that there is already very high mutual interest. While size might end up being an issue for some, Williams-Callis has already ripped several sub-11 100M times and has an impressive bloodline being the younger cousin of James and Jacquizz Rodgers which gives me confidence in his smaller stature. Already holding 30+ offers, there's still a long way to go but it's pretty encouraging that both sides are already at this high mutual interest level. (Scruggs)

Bastrop 2027 quarterback Weston Nielsen

Nielsen likes the drills the staff put them through. The local QB is becoming closer with AJ Milwee. He plans to be at Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, and Texas A&M in the weeks to come. Neilsen's family are big Texas fans so a potential offer would be significant. (South)

Other notes—

Horns247 spoke with several sources throughout the day to get intel on how certain campers did so here's a bit of scatter shooting:

— Multiple sources told us Ft. Lauderdale (FL) American Heritage 2026 five-star QB Dia Bell was always the first in line for every drill/throw, and that it was by design of the Texas coaches. The sources also said it was clear he was receiving more coaching and overall attention from the staff than the other quarterbacks in attendance. That said, Horns247 continues to like the chances of Bell being the Longhorns signal caller for the 2026 class. Bell didn't speak with the media as he went to his hotel following the pool party. (Scruggs)

— Multiple sources told us Temple 2026 Top247 CB Jason Bradford had one of the better cornerback performances on the day. The Longhorns told Bradford they like him a lot when they met with him, but that they need to dive into his film before extending an offer. I'm expecting Bradford to pick up a bunch of big-time offers by the end of the summer, so hopefully the Longhorns scholarship is coming sooner than later. (Scruggs)

— According to multiple sources Austin LBJ 2026 safety Yaheim Riley had a similar stellar performance and met with the staff as well, but like Bradford, he also left without an offer. He's camping at Oklahoma later this month and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sooners extend an offer his way, and if Riley has the junior season I'm expecting him to have then he should have 20-25+ offers around this time next year. Riley will continue to be on the Longhorns' radar. (Scruggs)

— Multiple sources felt like Brady Edmunds had the best QB performance on the day of the entire group. That's notable, as he joined Shreveport (La.) Evangel Christian QB Peyton Houston as the only quarterbacks in 2027 to hold offers from the Longhorns. (Scruggs)

— Sources lauded performances by 2026 edge KJ Ford. He, of course, already has an offer from the Texas staff and is one of the Longhorns' top targets in the cycle out of Duncanville. (South)

— The Longhorns offered three offensive linemen on Saturday, a list not including Pulelei'ite Primus. We're told Texas really likes the Midland product though, so don't be surprised to see him get an offer eventually. (South)

— Another strong showing at wide receiver today came from Jaylen Pile out of Parish Episcopal in Dallas, we're told. The 2026 pass catcher didn't leave with an offer but could pick one up on further evaluation into his junior season. (South)

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:
This is so frustrating. Russell is going to be really good. 

Sark seems to like Lacey, and they days of getting two studs QBs in a class just isn't that common.

I think Sark prefers Lacey over Russell because Lacey is already more polished and is less of a runner. Sark doesn’t want his QBs running unless easy yards are there. 
Russell has a higher ceiling and is more athletic. I just prefer Russell in our current QB room. 

Sark seems to like Lacey, and they days of getting two studs QBs in a class just isn't that common.
I think if any team is able to bring in two 5* QB's in the same class it will be the Longhorns. All recruits know what Sark's offense is capable of, and no chance of the OC getting poached for a HC job.

I like Russell a lot, but it's pretty clear that we could only get one of them and Sark simply preferred Lacey. I know how we feel about "trust the corches" around here, but.....gotta trust Sark on this one.

Just wish it wasn't Bama for Russell. Sticking with SMU would have been fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I like Russell a lot, but it's pretty clear that we could only get one of them and Sark simply preferred Lacey. I know how we feel about "trust the corches" around here, but.....gotta trust Sark on this one.

Just wish it wasn't Bama for Russell. Sticking with SMU would have been fine.

I think that we have had Lacey committed for a year and that is why Sark is sticking to him. 

Russell wasn’t polished enough a year ago (in my imagination) to receive an offer, but if the offers were going out now then I think that Russell would get the nod due to his being a Duncanville QB, which is good for the pipeline and is good for the recruitment of Dakorien Moore

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think that we have had Lacey committed for a year and that is why Sark is sticking to him. 

Russell wasn’t polished enough a year ago (in my imagination) to receive an offer, but if the offers were going out now then I think that Russell would get the nod due to his being a Duncanville QB, which is good for the pipeline and is good for the recruitment of Dakorien Moore

IMO Russell has the slightly stronger arm but Lacey has much much more accuracy with his arm and that is what separates the two as a passer. Obviously Russel is the better athlete.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO Russell has the slightly stronger arm but Lacey has much much more accuracy with his arm and that is what separates the two as a passer. Obviously Russel is the better athlete.

Thank you for clarifying what Lacey has much more accuracy with. 
👍 💪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Our DL recruiting can't catch a break

i mean. Baker may be an incredible developer of talent, but the guy has basically no track record and no name to rely on while he gets things figured out at Texas. DL recruiting is going to look not great until we get closer to the season anyway. not saying it's a bad thing, just saying it's going to take some time.

it's what happens when you hire a virtually unknown coach, either it's going to be a lost year and they are going to punt on him in 6 months, or it's going to be a slow start and recruits start hearing good things from current players and momentum builds.

also doesn't hurt that Brown i think was the guy closest to Bo Davis anyway.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We'll see on Brown, he's an impressionable kid, let the high wear off.  They had talk of him doing the same with USC after a visit earlier in the year.

The LSU guys have been really making a ton of assumptions in Brown's recruitment. He very well may flip, but doing that flip pick coming out of his OV weekend when he still has 3 OVs to go including TX is a bit premature. Bo Davis at LSU =/= Bo Davis at Texas. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We'll see on Brown, he's an impressionable kid, let the high wear off.  They had talk of him doing the same with USC after a visit earlier in the year.

IIRC his mom was the one to pump the brakes on SC.. Brown was the one that was excited about flipping to them.  Hopefully Sark can get through her and into Brown when he visits here

A Texas Longhorns target has made a change to a visit date. Port Charlotte (Fla.) High 4-star defensive lineman Myron Charles has changed his official visit date to June 7-9 from the 14-16th which was originally scheduled. 

The Longhorns were behind the push to get the Sunshine State defensive tackle on campus this weekend. That means two of the top defensive line targets are scheduled to be on campus - Josiah Sharma and Charles. 

June 7-9 (7)

Kaleb Edwards, TE, El Dorado Hills (Calif.) Oak Ridge
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: UCLA May 10-12, Washington May 31-June 2, Texas June 7-9, Auburn June 10-12, Alabama June 14-16 and Oregon June 21-23

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 7-9 and Alabama June 21-23

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High
Official visit schedule: Florida May 31-June 2, Texas June 7-9, Miami June 14-16 and FSU June 21-23

Javion Hilson, EDGE, Cocoa (Fla.) High - *FSU commit
Official visit schedule: Florida May 31-June 2, Texas June 7-9, UCF June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23

Caleb Chester, CB, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3-star
Official visit schedule: TCU May 3-5, Texas June 7-9, Arkansas June 14-16 and Texas A&M June 21-23

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe (Texas) High
Official visit schedule: LSU May 31-June 2, Texas June 7-9, Oregon June 14-16 and Ohio State June 21-23

Michael Terry II, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
Official visit schedule: Nebraska April 26-28, Oregon May 17-19, Texas June 7-9 and Texas A&M June 14-16

-Gerry

• Hook 'Em 5

The On3 Elite Series measurements were published. 

Spoiler

QB K.J. Lacey – Texas
Height: 5-foot-10.5
Weight: 181 pounds
Hand size: 8.625 inches
Arm length: 29.625 inches
Wing-span: 71.5 inches

Is success in the cards for Lacey at Texas or will Dia Bell push him off the tracks? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's what I would say in regard to the hand-wringing over Lacey. For anyone who wandered through the wilderness of QB recruiting from 2010 to 2020, and by God it was a fucking beating, it is difficult to worry overmuch about the current efforts. Here's a refresher on who we took:

2010: Case McCoy, Connor Wood

2011: David Ash

2012: Connor Brewer, Jalen Overstreet

2013: Tyrone Swoopes (if you're a real masochist, go back and look at the entire 2013 class. Torbush)

2014: Jerrod Heard

2015: Kai Locksley, Matthew Merrick

2016: Shane Buechele

2017: Shane Ehlinger

2018: Casey Thompson, Cam Rising

2019: Roschon Johnson

2020: Hudson Card

Go ahead and take a hard drink of liquor after reading that list. Maybe two. I'll wait.

Anyway, we've gone from a collection of misfits and mis-evaluations to Quinn, Malik, Arch, Owens, and the plan going forward seems to be to take the best available QB every year. Happiness is realizing is that if Lacey is not him, there are other guys on the roster who definitely will be.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I'm not overly concerned about Lacey v. Russell because it appears Sark has his choice of the two and prefers Lacey. That may ultimately prove to be the wrong decision, but given this isn't a make or break QB class for us, I'm not sweating it if Sark has made his evaluation. Particularly since I think we'll get another stud in the 2026 class. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

2013: Tyrone Swoopes (if you're a real masochist, go back and look at the entire 2013 class. Torbush)

OL recruiting (including TE) was pretty good in terms of talent with 4 of 6 making it to the league (if briefly)... of course 2 made it after transferring out.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

OL recruiting (including TE) was pretty good in terms of talent with 4 of 6 making it to the league (if briefly)... of course 2 made it after transferring out.

Get Out Of Here Keegan Michael Key GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ill said:

The On3 Elite Series measurements were published. 

Hide contents

QB K.J. Lacey – Texas
Height: 5-foot-10.5
Weight: 181 pounds
Hand size: 8.625 inches
Arm length: 29.625 inches
Wing-span: 71.5 inches

Is success in the cards for Lacey at Texas or will Dia Bell push him off the tracks? 

I do not like short QBs for an offense that designs plays for TEs and others running routes over the middle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wells just put one in 😒

Gerry on the OTF boards said as long as Brown keeps making his OVs, the more LSU will be sweating or something like that.. They went hard this weekend with his family in tow.. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1