Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Here's what I would say in regard to the hand-wringing over Lacey. For anyone who wandered through the wilderness of QB recruiting from 2010 to 2020, and by God it was a fucking beating, it is difficult to worry overmuch about the current efforts. Here's a refresher on who we took:

2017: Shane Ehlinger

That Shane Ehlinger dude was a total scrub.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Here's what I would say in regard to the hand-wringing over Lacey. For anyone who wandered through the wilderness of QB recruiting from 2010 to 2020, and by God it was a fucking beating, it is difficult to worry overmuch about the current efforts. Here's a refresher on who we took:

2010: Case McCoy, Connor Wood

2011: David Ash

2012: Connor Brewer, Jalen Overstreet

2013: Tyrone Swoopes (if you're a real masochist, go back and look at the entire 2013 class. Torbush)

2014: Jerrod Heard

2015: Kai Locksley, Matthew Merrick

2016: Shane Buechele

2018: Casey Thompson, Cam Rising

2019: Roschon Johnson

2020: Hudson Card

Go ahead and take a hard drink of liquor after reading that list. Maybe two. I'll wait.

Anyway, we've gone from a collection of misfits and mis-evaluations to Quinn, Malik, Arch, Owens, and the plan going forward seems to be to take the best available QB every year. Happiness is realizing is that if Lacey is not him, there are other guys on the roster who definitely will be.

Man after that ND game and the prior QB Recruits you couldn't tell us Shane Buechele wasn't a gift from God. 

And is crazy because he probably would be fighting for 3rd String in this QB room maybe even 4th, no offense to Buechele, just shows ow far we've come 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Gerry on the OTF boards said as long as Brown keeps making his OVs, the more LSU will be sweating or something like that.. They went hard this weekend with his family in tow.. 

He's supposed to OV to Tennessee this weekend, then his Texas OV is the weekend after this.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't really feel any pain about those QB classes, or the 2013 class in particular now. I felt the pain then, at the time. It would still hurt now if our recruiting and coaching weren't what they (mostly) are right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Followed by Miami.....tells you what's needed in this recruitment IMO.

Miami is closer to home, if it comes down to what NIL can do for him.. UT should win this purley on the need at DT 

I see that pets heads are falling off. I honestly don’t get it. He recruited pretty good but not great at Texas and suddenly he’s going to get the top targets at a school with fewer NIL resources? Maybe there is under the table money that holds appeal? 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I see that pets heads are falling off. I honestly don’t get it. He recruited pretty good but not great at Texas and suddenly he’s going to get the top targets at a school with fewer NIL resources? Maybe there is under the table money that holds appeal? 

Lets NIL their ass!

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Cross-posting (also posted in the Coaching and Support Staff Thread ... ).

Interesting summary.

this is shamelessly stolen from Tope Imade's Reddit AMA from last week. Highly recommend reading it, if only for the "Ok, Tope" story.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

2010: Case McCoy, Connor Wood

2011: David Ash

2012: Connor Brewer, Jalen Overstreet

2013: Tyrone Swoopes (if you're a real masochist, go back and look at the entire 2013 class. Torbush)

2014: Jerrod Heard

2015: Kai Locksley, Matthew Merrick

2016: Shane Buechele

2018: Casey Thompson, Cam Rising

2019: Roschon Johnson

2020: Hudson Card

Go ahead and take a hard drink of liquor after reading that list. Maybe two. I'll wait.

Anyway, we've gone from a collection of misfits and mis-evaluations to Quinn, Malik, Arch, Owens, and the plan going forward seems to be to take the best available QB every year. Happiness is realizing is that if Lacey is not him, there are other guys on the roster who definitely will be.

And where is Charles Wright on this list?

55 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Where is Charles Wright period?

In Austin living with Gunnar Helm. He returned after spring practice from Appalachian State. Don't be surprised if he walks on in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 9

LSU can definitely sell playing time.  We think we are desperate for DT's, but they hardly even have warm bodies.  There was a discussion on TD about how much weight the ends needed to put on to move to DT.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sounds like some children’s hospitals and highways are about to lose funding in the state of Louisiana!

Uh, they’ve been using the highway money for something other than highways at least since the mid-70s. There’s nothing to take. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The LSU staff and the LSU mouthpieces are telling anyone and everyone that these two recruitments are over. It’s bizarre but it is actually in line with their attempt to land a bunch of guys early and claim that they were going to dominate the recruiting cycle. Some sort of weird notion of manifesting their wishcasted future into existence. I think it is sad desperation for a poorly funded program that doesn’t have a better answer for the new world. I guess we’ll see, but if that is true, it’s both gratifying and hilarious. 

Is this something Texas can counter if Williams gets on campus? I think once he sees Texas's NIL package it should be easy to overcome whatever BS LSU sold him this weekend. I guess as long as Williams continues taking visits the better it is.

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So LSU’s “long term NIL package” is a stall tactic while they fabricate financial records, right? Never change Fighting Kingfishes. 

I prefer to call them the Lazy Muddy Redfish Fatties myself 

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Uh, they’ve been using the highway money for something other than highways at least since the mid-70s. There’s nothing to take. 

I took a Louisiana state highway in the late 90's that had several unpaved stretches and a single-lane bridge that looked homemade. It would have made some third world countries blush.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I understand the appeal of LSU to an unsophisticated person. And I mean "unsophisticated" in the technical sense, not calling them stupid or anything. They lack expertise or experience, and can be convinced by a pitch that seems strong on a superficial level. While at Texas, Bo Davis helped put four different DL in the NFL, including a first-rounder. Credit where its due, Davis was the coach most responsible for developing Murphy. If they have a strong NIL pitch - regardless of the veracity of the pitch - to go with Davis' reputation, I can understand it. I also understand that people in CFB coaching circles are high on Kenny Baker's potential, but he has nothing to sell at the moment. So I don't necessarily fault him for not winning head-to-head with Davis, although it is disconcerting. 

But where the fuck was this version of Bo Davis at Texas? Why did Davis struggle to recruit quality DL here? There's no way that our NIL and sales pitch are worse than LSU (with or without Davis). Was he focused on development and there's only so many hours in the day? Did he think his 2022 class was enough to coast on (despite not being as good as it seemed on paper)? 

I don't get it. I hope that Zion and Brown sit down with the staff and they can explain why LSU's pitch is bullshit. I hope we get that chance. Because I'm pretty fucking sick and tired of losing recruits to a school that I frankly view as being worse than A&M. 

23 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

But where the fuck was this version of Bo Davis at Texas? Why did Davis struggle to recruit quality DL here? There's no way that our NIL and sales pitch are worse than LSU (with or without Davis). Was he focused on development and there's only so many hours in the day? Did he think his 2022 class was enough to coast on (despite not being as good as it seemed on paper)? 

I mean he's targetting the two people who he probably had the best relationship with at Texas in Brown and Zion. His recruiting issues will rear its ugly head if they miss out on those and in future cycles. I get the sentiment but at least to me it was expected.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I mean he's targetting the two people who he probably had the best relationship with at Texas in Brown and Zion. His recruiting issues will rear its ugly head if they miss out on those and in future cycles. I get the sentiment but at least to me it was expected.

Davis is arguably the hottest DL coach in the country right now coming off of last season. It is understandable that he has recruits attention, but I think his shine will wear off a bit after this upcoming season where he has jack shit to work with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quality DL? He helped beat out UGA for Sydir Mitchell, UF for D’antre Robinson, and LSU for Alex January during his tenure. Probably some other wins I’m forgetting. 

None of those guys were highly rated, and neither is Brown. All were/are highly regarded despite their ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

I took a Louisiana state highway in the late 90's that had several unpaved stretches and a single-lane bridge that looked homemade. It would have made some  their fellow third world countries blush.

FIFY

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

I took a Louisiana state highway in the late 90's that had several unpaved stretches and a single-lane bridge that looked homemade. It would have made some third world countries blush.

I10/I12 through Baton Rouge is like driving through a ranch in Hico, Texas at 70 MPH.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I10/I12 through Baton Rouge is like driving through a ranch in Hico, Texas at 70 MPH.

No sir. I-10 around Lafayette is smooth as a babies bottom. 

I think the guy in charge of Louisiana roads lives there. Only explanation for why the rest of the state is the public roads version  of dysentery, and that one little stretch is a real honest to God driveable road. 

Edited by NorLa Horns
G