Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

2 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Was at the Comal yesterday and saw a bunch of people get arrested and they were almost all white.

Like the golf reporter interviewing “Vince young” at the golf course 

19 hours ago, horn4life said:

not to buzz kill. But one of our boys on the list got popped on the Comal today.  Never try to save your drunk friend.  Most interesting thing to me was that you can be white and vomiting in front of the cops. And one goes free.  Sucks for the kid, but apparently there are/ were two silents he told me about.  like 30 seconds before it all went bad on the comal.

Sucks. I guess good for me that I am white, but New Braunfels is what is always has been.

in the end you guys would have been happy as shit with what I heard right before it all when bad.  

Was he wearing a Stanford or Texas sweatshirt?

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

It's gotten the point where a Hi from Gerry means about as much to me as 👀 from Harris.

At best it means we got a silent from a football recruit, and silents just aren't worth much anymore. Even worse, sometimes its a basketball recruit. Which is fine, but it's like seeing a chocolate chip cookie in the jar, getting it out and realizing that it was just oatmeal raisin. It's not bad, but it's not what you wanted. 

Nah, it means we got a silent that is about to go public. Gerry doesn't say Hi unless the kid is ready to announce in the upcoming weeks. I think Johnson gave aggy a silent, which is why Fong put in his pick, I also think Johnson takes his other 4 visits and that silent is less likely to stick.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Think it was Gerry who intimated that Johnson no longer has a commitable offer from us.

That's pretty surprising.  I wonder what happened in that recruitment, weren't the coaches really high on Johnson?  I wonder if it has anything to do with Hines?

Just now, closetojumping said:

You sure Gerry was the guy saying that?

Nope. Think it was on OTF though. Something like "Johnson could have committed earlier in the spring but probably not now."

Or I could have misread it completely. 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Fong has an article with quotes from Terry. I can't read anything but the headline but it sounds like it's positive for us. 

“I’m sad because my team is poor and Texas is on a level playing field now”…?

Oh, sorry, wrong Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

That's pretty surprising.  I wonder what happened in that recruitment, weren't the coaches really high on Johnson?  I wonder if it has anything to do with Hines?

Hines is almost as fast as Johnson, considerably bigger, and allows for positional flexibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Apparently Nahlin just put in an RPM for Michael Terry III to the good guys. Can't confirm since it's paywalled but it was his picture.

OTF said that Terry had a postive conversation with the Texas staff about playing defense, especially at the nickel. I think it is him.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas rising for nation's No. 1 ranked athlete Michael Terry III

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

"Although there still isn't anything concrete with his positional projection in Austin, it's clear the Longhorns are now recruiting Terry to the offensive side of the ball rather than the defensive side of the ball where Texas had been recruiting him earlier and throughout the spring."

Spoiler

Texas rising for nation's No. 1 ranked athlete Michael Terry III

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

San Antonio Alamo Heights five-star athlete Michael Terry III has one of the most intriguing recruitments in the nation. 

At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds and ranked as the No. 20 overall prospect and No. 1 athlete in the nation, Terry can play just about anywhere on the field and it's turned his process into one of the most interesting recruitments I've ever covered. 

After seeing Nebraska during the Huskers' spring game weekend for an official visit the weekend of April 26-28, Terry resumed his official visit schedule with a trip to Austin this weekend. 

"The trip was pretty good," Terry said. "Learned quite a lot on it."

Terry got to learn a better understanding what the Longhorns see the five-star at when it comes to how Texas would potentially use him at the next level. 

"On the visit we met with coach [AJ] Milwee and he kinda ran us down the whole concept of where I'm going to be at (positionally) if I did go to Texas and how they would use me so they gave me a good idea on that."

Although there still isn't anything concrete with his positional projection in Austin, it's clear the Longhorns are now recruiting Terry to the offensive side of the ball rather than the defensive side of the ball where Texas had been recruiting him earlier and throughout the spring. 

"They didn't give me a specific position. They were really just showing me that how they use me in high school is the same way that they'd be using me if I go there, so everywhere."

Although Milwee has become Terry's primary point of contact from the Texas side of things, Terry and his family also spent a lot of time with running backs coach Tashard Choice. Terry's family has known Choice longer than any other coach on the Longhorns staff as Choice was who extended Terry his first ever offer from Georgia Tech. 

"We talked a lot on the visit. Mainly because we know him the best."

Terry of course spent time with Steve Sarkisian as well, where he and his family had some genuine talks in Sark's office. 

"Really just a genuine talk. He was being straight up about how they see me coming in there and how they see me and how I could develop there."

A familiar face was Terry's player host. 

"They set me up with Freddie Dubose. We both came from San Antonio so we have a lot in common."

Terry's favorite part of the trip was strengthening the bond he has with those in the Longhorns' program. 

"Really just getting to talk and sit down and eat with the coaches and stuff and getting to know everybody better, players also."

The five-star felt as if the most important part of the visit was getting to sit down with the staff about how they'd plan to use him all throughout the offensive side of the ball. 

"I just got a really good insight of how they want to use me. Because on all the unofficials, I didn't really get to sit down and talk about all of that so that was better for me and my family to sit down and talk with all of them."

With Oregon and Nebraska having more concrete positional projections as the Ducks see him as a running back and the Huskers as a jumbo slot receiver, Terry gave an insightful answer when asked his thoughts on Texas' swiss army knife plan for him.

"I mean, with the college football they play, that's really just setting me up and developing me more as a player there because as you can see some of the players that have been there, they've done the same thing I've been doing as he showed us on the screen and in the boardroom."

The Longhorns gained momentum in the recruitment coming out of the official visit to Austin. 

"They definitely rose up there. I've been following Texas for a long time and they're a top program right now and they're still rising."

Although it isn't set in stone, Terry is leaning towards majoring in Business once he gets to college. 

"As of right now I'm thinking towards the business side," Terry said. "They talked about all of that on the visit when they had the business and education part so we talked about that a lot."

Up next for Terry will be an official visit to College Station to see the Aggies June 14-16. Besides that trip, he doesn't have anything set up but it's likely the five-star ends up seeing Oregon for his last open weekend (June 21-23).

"We're trying to get that set up, we should have it pretty soon."

With two of his top four programs being plane rides (Oregon, Nebraska) and the other schools being drives (Texas, Texas A&M), Terry doesn't see proximity and location factoring much into his decision. 

"My parents are pretty versatile to where I'm going and I'm pretty sure they trust me enough to know that I'll be fine wherever I go and whatever decision I make so I think it'll matter too much to the decision with how far it is."

Terry doesn't have an exact date for his decision but intends to make his college commitment prior to the start of his senior season. 

At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds Terry is ranked as the No. 20 overall prospect in the nation, the No. 1 athlete in the nation, and the No. 6 overall prospect in the state of Texas according to 247Sports

image.thumb.png.1e3067580c606cdb18b840ec8f876621.png

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What position would Terry play? It seems we are recruiting better tightends and wide receivers. Are we going to start using an H back more?

Coaches probably told him "watch what we do with Niblack this year."   Niblack has apparently shown our coaches that he is a matchup nightmare for opposing DCs.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What position would Terry play? It seems we are recruiting better tightends and wide receivers. Are we going to start using an H back more?

Nickel, apparently. But I bet he ends up at TE. 

2 minutes ago, cb866 said:

How does Hilson potentially fit with Lance Jackson, who I thought was slated for EdGe?

Jackson will end up at SDE. 

1 minute ago, cb866 said:

How does Hilson potentially fit with Lance Jackson, who I thought was slated for EdGe?

Jackson is supposedly already 270+ lbs, so he may eventually be an interior DL, which wouldn't be the worst thing.  We are in a good spot with Smith Orogbo at EDGE.