Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Kids pretty legit.  Plays for cocoa. Small 2A school in FL but they do a good job scheduling out of conf games. School is a shit hole but they pump out some talent 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well shit Scruggs at 247 just changed his to Tech, wtf?

He's the one whose parents hate sports and are super focused on school. Bet they tried to get the "commit now, we're laser focused on you, other schools will cut you loose in a second" kind of pitch

A 6-1/185 guy who runs a 10.45/100M ("one of the fastest prospects in the country") and may have positional versatility ... interesting prospect, interesting visit.

Spring Dekaney four-star WR Tanook Hines talks Longhorns after surprise official visit

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Spring Dekaney four-star WR Tanook Hines talks Longhorns after surprise official visit

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Spring Dekaney four-star WR Tanook Hines made headlines on Friday evening when the speedy Houston area native was videoed officially visiting Texas on Ryan Niblett's Instagram story.

One of the fastest prospects in the nation, Hines' track profile is a big reason for his ascension in the recruiting world as he owns a 10.45 PR in the 100M and a 20.71 PR in the 200M which earned him a silver medal in the 6A State Track and Field meet this spring.

He's been just as solid on the gridiron as well, as he had a stellar sophomore season with 50 receptions for 815 yards and 7 touchdowns before turning in 35 receptions for 528 yards and 5 touchdowns as a junior during an injury-shortened campaign. 

At the very beginning of the month, Hines was originally scheduled to be in Waco officially visiting Baylor July 7-9, but he ended up pushing those dates to June 21-23. The four-star pushed those Baylor dates back to the 21-23 weekend in order to fit Arkansas into his schedule for the June 7-9 weekend. Then as we got about a week into the month of June, Hines ended up removing Arkansas from his schedule completely in order to officially trip to Texas on the 7-9 weekend. 

Although Hines told Horns247 he would be taking an official visit to Texas when I stopped by Dekaney for a spring ball practice in May, the trip didn't come about till Thursday evening and wasn't fully locked in until early Friday morning. 

"At first my schedule was already busy, and then I started thinking one of these schools they're probably going to fall off so I started texting Texas. So that's when coach Jackson started hitting me up like 'you trying to come out here?' and I said yes sir and we made it happen."

Speaking of Chris Jackson, Hines mentioned getting to spend time with the Longhorns receivers coach as the highlight of his trip, along with getting to spend time around another familiar face. 

"When coach Jackson was breaking down where he would use me and where I would succeed at in their offense," Hines said. "And having fun with my host Ryan Niblett."

When breaking down how the Longhorns would use Hines, the four-star receiver was told he'd be utilized in a similar fashion to that of one of Texas' best in recent memory. 

"He was comparing me to Xavier Worthy because of my speed."

Niblett and Hines go back a long ways as the two Houston area natives both ended up practicing and playing together in the same 7on7 program after originally meeting at a track meet. 

"With Ryan, we're like family. He's good people. Met him at a track meet, ever since then we've just been tight."

Hines also enjoyed spending time meeting with Steve Sarkisian. 

"When we had our talk it was a great talk, he was telling me all of the great things Texas could offer for me and help me in the long run and I really mess with it."

Outside of Jackson and Sarkisian, Hines didn't spend any time formally meeting with any other coaches on the staff. He spent a bit of time with analyst Dalton Williams, the brother of former Texas offensive lineman Connor Williams, but outside of that that was it. 

Hines is going to play full-time on both sides of the ball this fall as Dekaney will call upon him to play safety as well as his main position, receiver. Hines got practice time at safety throughout spring ball practices, many of which college coaches were present for which sparked the conversation of Hines potentially becoming a safety prospect or an athlete prospect, rather than a receiver prospect. 

However, while Hines playing on the defensive side of the ball wasn't formally discussed during his official visit, the Longhorns made it clear with him that they'd keep recruiting him if he was to become more of an athlete prospect.

"They want me at receiver but said if I end up turning into an athlete, they'll still want me."

At this point in time, Texas is the only program amongst the schools in contention that've told Hines they'd like him at a position that isn't just strictly receiver. A few schools made it by Dekaney this spring with the intention of recruiting Hines to be a safety at the next level, but those schools aren't necessarily in contention. 

"There's other schools that came to my practice this spring and saw me at safety and some schools tried to recruit me just for it."

Up next for Hines will be a trip to South Bend the 14-16 weekend before wrapping up his official visit circuit in Waco the 21-23 weekend. 

With plans to release a top five following the conclusion of his last official visit to Baylor, Hines doesn't have an exact date in mind for a commitment but will be shutting it down next month. 

"I'm going to shut it down in July. I don't know the date yet but it's going to be in July."

As far as where the Longhorns stand in his recruitment coming out of the official visit—

"I'm going to let people know in July, I'm not going to say anything else."

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds Hines is ranked as the No. 34 wide receiver in the nation and the No. 42 overall prospect in the Lone Star State according to 247Sports

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Watching Javion Hilson's interview at the Austin airport, it's apparent that Texas came in and threw its big swinging dick on the table. 

That makes me feel good. I mean, sure the Lambos are cool and all, but it's good to see that Texas NIL is not all smoke and mirrors. 

Even if Texas doesn't get Hilson, other schools have every reason to be scared. Texas isn't fucking around.  

Prediction: Texas gets at least five five-star players, maybe even six with an outside chance at seven. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Watching Javion Hilson's interview at the Austin airport, it's apparent that Texas came in and threw its big swinging dick on the table. 

That makes me feel good. I mean, sure the Lambos are cool and all, but it's good to see that Texas NIL is not all smoke and mirrors. 

Even if Texas doesn't get Hilson, other schools have every reason to be scared. Texas isn't fucking around.  

Prediction: Texas gets at least five five-star players, maybe even six with an outside chance at seven. 

Sign me the fuck up 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Excited Lets Go GIF by Jomboy Media

• Hook 'Em 1

Besides Jonah Williams, who might not be a Safety, are we in on any Safeties? Looking at these visitor lists, I don't see any. I know we're in on Brew (who's projected CB or Nickel?), but generally DB recruiting seems just really strange. Tanook? Would be interesting to see if we keep poaching 5* safeties late in the cycle (like Filsaime).

1 hour ago, cb866 said:

Besides Jonah Williams, who might not be a Safety, are we in on any Safeties? Looking at these visitor lists, I don't see any. I know we're in on Brew (who's projected CB or Nickel?), but generally DB recruiting seems just really strange. Tanook? Would be interesting to see if we keep poaching 5* safeties late in the cycle (like Filsaime).

One that comes go mind is Kade Phillips, who will be a safety in college. Also, we aren't in on Jonah Williams, even if he is visiting. He's either aggy or ou. 

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Would any of these be defensive takes?

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Seven would be pretty impressive, considering that we're only recruiting six composite 5-star players at the moment (3 WRs, Fasusi, Brew, and Terry).

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's the one whose parents hate sports and are super focused on school. Bet they tried to get the "commit now, we're laser focused on you, other schools will cut you loose in a second" kind of pitch

"super focused on school"....picks Tech over commitable offer from Texas

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Seven would be pretty impressive, considering that we're only recruiting six composite 5-star players at the moment (3 WRs, Fasusi, Brew, and Terry).

I think Hilson and Pettijohn will be five-stars at the end of this cycle if their rankings stay around the same. If you go by the 247 composite, anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's the one whose parents hate sports and are super focused on school.

super focused on school...but they are ok with him going to Texas Tech?

Hulu Idiot GIF by Shogun FX

The man's parents are idiots then

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Per Spiegelman, Kade Phillips didn't show up to his aggy OV this weekend

no, no he really really really wanted to go but his ride had a flat tire.

here's hoping the guy is pulling from the Kris Boyd playbook on the A&M front lol

8 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I think Hilson and Pettijohn will be five-stars at the end of this cycle if their rankings stay around the same. If you go by the 247 composite, anyway. 

something would need to change on both fronts for the composite 5* thing to happen

image.png.bf2f59a681b32156b1c0495ff2b622a7.png

and

image.png.c4029abc5f788326c3f320075b366c6c.png

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

something would need to change on both fronts for the composite 5* thing to happen

and

At 33 composite, he's one spot away from being a 5 Star on their rankings, assuming they do the thing where the top 32 composite players end up being 5-stars. Hilson is 8 spots away. Perfectly reasonable to think either could get a bump and end up 5 stars. Not saying it will happen. But it certainly could. And when was the last time the top rated EDGE player in the country wasnt a 5 star?

On 6/8/2024 at 11:52 PM, Bevo said:

Since it showed up on my Microsoft ticker.

College Football Analyst Harshly Critical of Texas' Recruiting Tactics (msn.com)

Video surfaced on social media of Texas recruits walking into a parking lot full of Lamborghinis on the Longhorns' campus. The implication was that players could earn one of their own.

….Shannon Terry, CEO of On3 Sports, wasn't a huge fan of the Longhorns' recruiting pitch. He posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, "This needs to leave college sports."

This insipid take got buried during the OV weekend news, so I wanted to bump to emphasize how disingenuous this really is.  I had thought the emergence of NIL would finally loosen up the media and let them acknowledge the rampant bag game behavior of the last 15 years.  Clearly that is not the case for whatever reason.

To oversimplify, NIL is an expanded, sanitized evolution of the under-the-table player compensation that a handful of shady programs utilized for years with impunity.  Case in point, I unearthed this legendary post detailing what Alabama football players drove over the years during their time in Tuscaloosa.  Anyone with half a brain cell can see what is going on here, and it is impossible to credibly how this is different from the status quo, much less that it is a better/fairer practice.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/board/29/contents/alabamas-recruiting-dominance-continues-wow-50860219/

It is impossible for someone with as much industry insight as Terry to argue in good faith that the pre-NIL days were a nobler, cleaner time that was better for the players and the spirit of competition.  They’re just mad that Lambos > Dodge Challengers.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

and

That’s why I mentioned I was going by 247’s composite, where they’re ranked 30 and 31. I kind of went away from ON3 after the last couple years and the OTF split. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

This insipid take got buried during the OV weekend news, so I wanted to bump to emphasize how disingenuous this really is.  I had thought the emergence of NIL would finally loosen up the media and let them acknowledge the rampant bag game behavior of the last 15 years.  Clearly that is not the case for whatever reason.

To oversimplify, NIL is an expanded, sanitized evolution of the under-the-table player compensation that a handful of shady programs utilized for years with impunity.  Case in point, I unearthed this legendary post detailing what Alabama football players drove over the years during their time in Tuscaloosa.  Anyone with half a brain cell can see what is going on here, and it is impossible to credibly how this is different from the status quo, much less that it is a better/fairer practice.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/board/29/contents/alabamas-recruiting-dominance-continues-wow-50860219/

It is impossible for someone with as much industry insight as Terry to argue in good faith that the pre-NIL days were a nobler, cleaner time that was better for the players and the spirit of competition.  They’re just mad that Lambos > Dodge Challengers.

We spent like 3 pages discussing this...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Anything you now write or podcast suggesting "horns down" is going to get clicks from the SEC knuckle draggers. The Lambo screams are just the latest iteration of that proven formula for media "success." 

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

it would be somewhat anti-climatic.

Can you please take climate related issues to the CR? 

This is a recruiting forum.

Kthxbye.

🙂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

lebron-not5not-not7.gif.365874e36111a9324346fe2194122b68.gif

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Vogel expounded more on the Kelshaun Johnson recruitment this morning:

"Next is 2025 Hitchcock wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson. Of course, one of the larger surprises this weekend was the speedster receiving crystal ball predictions in favor of the Aggies. However, I am here to share the same sentiment. I have been told the Aggies did a great job this weekend and are considered the leaders.

Of course, Johnson had an opportunity earlier this cycle to join the Texas class and opted not to. Texas has since moved into great positions for three of the country's top wide receivers and just pushed up the date on Tanook Hines' official visit to this past weekend as well. The writing is on the wall for me in this recrutiment."

So they really did go the Nate Kibble route with him - need you to take the offer now or we can't hold it if other things come to light for other targets. 

Hines is lightning fast as well, plus they're feeling good about Ffrench, Lockett and Moore. I'm guessing they don't really think they're getting both Lockett and Ffrench. 

This weekend, Texas has Moore, Marsh, Johnson, and McCutcheon set to visit. Seems unlikely that all 4 visit. After that, Ffrench and Lockett both visit the same following weekend. 

Hines gave ASU a silent commitment in April on his visit. He was part of a tandem expected to go public and give ASU some splash in our area but they never did it. I'm wondering if Hines committed this weekend. If he goes public, Johnson likely doesn't make the visit. 

Not sure what to make of McCutcheon or Marsh as anything other than backburner options.

I watched the OT7 over the weekend... spoiler:  Ffrench is a beast.  

If we were able to land him and Moore, it's game over for opposing DBs.  And after watching him play this weekend, if we could only land 1 out of him and Moore, I'd take Ffrench... he looked that good.  

2 hours ago, TXRed said:

That’s why I mentioned I was going by 247’s composite, where they’re ranked 30 and 31. I kind of went away from ON3 after the last couple years and the OTF split. 

just to be clear, OTF split from IT, not ON3 specifically.

did 247 go back to giving everyone a 25% portion of the composite? for a while i thought they weighed their results more than everyone else.

Just now, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Is it fair to feel a little let down with no commits this weekend? I know I know there are silents and we did work on some nice highly rated recruits but not one commit? 

As per usual these days expect commitments around end of June into early July with some bleeding into August and football season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

6. Tanook Hines, Houston (Texas) Dekaney - Maybe the physical WR of the group. Likes and plays through contact. Some college like as a safety as much. 

Gerry forgot to mention that he runs a 10.45 100M. I don't get the relatively low ranking of a guy who was very productive as a Sophomore, injured for part of his Junior year with great measurables and great hands.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/10/2024 at 10:35 AM, Professor Chesney said:

The reason is that the sports media are the dumbest people in the world paid to write. Your point is clear and right. Their ability to follow steps in reasoning is non-existent. They are profoundly anti-intellectual. They don't look beyond the surface. 

As for critical thinking, I give you this annual dance:

Big university coaching job opens up. 

Hot current coach is mentioned immediately as a likely target.

All of that is fine. Now:

Every public appearance the prospective coach makes, the geniuses pepper him with, "Coach are you leaving your job?"

Coach: I have no plans. Right now, I'm focussed on this season.

The repeated question is idiotic, but they get dumber.

Sportsguy to other sports guy: "Do you think all of this speculation about the coach is hurting his team?" "Has to be, fellow dumbass, because the question keeps coming up." No acknowledgement that they are driving the controversy because they can only handle one story at a time.

Coach, at end of season when it always fucking happens, announces he's leaving the great program he is with to go to Big U.

Sportsmedia: So, he was lying when he said he had no plans to leave Littler U.

Fucking morons. 

• Haha 5