Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

You think that OL class is anywhere close to what we are bringing in? Sheer numbers say no way.

What year was it?

He was saying that if late-era Mack Brown was recruiting today, then that's the type of class Mack would have put together.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He was saying that if late-era Mack Brown was recruiting today, then that's the type of class Mack would have put together.

Gotcha, working while reading doesn't always go so well - The biggest issue with Mack and the OL was numbers. He had numerous classes with maybe 3 guys and a lot of times those guys were iffy. Bringing in 6 high quality guys in a single class pretty much guarantees success.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Gotcha, working while reading doesn't always go so well - The biggest issue with Mack and the OL was numbers. He had numerous classes with maybe 3 guys and a lot of times those guys were iffy. Bringing in 6 high quality guys in a single class pretty much guarantees success.

I remember the signing day press conference when Mack said he wished he had signed more OL. Well shit, mofo, why the fuck didn’t you? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I wonder if they brought Tannahill Love back for the weekend

This is who I was trying to remember. I thought we had the son of an accomplished chef on the team

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If a DT from the southeast, that everyone wants, winds up going to South Carolina for chef training, I will shit a golden chef's hat and set BO&W on fire. 

Hypothetically speaking, what would this cost if he didn’t go to South Carolina?

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I've identified your problem

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

DB is looking kinda meh, but everywhere else sounds promising. Wish we jettisoned at least one of our DB coaches.

Yeah, trying to seal a DB recruit from SMU isn't an ideal situation.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If a DT from the southeast, that everyone wants, winds up going to South Carolina for chef training, I will shit a golden chef's hat and set BO&W on fire. 

Can't you do that anyway? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

Late era Mack Class: 

QB- Keelon Russell

RB- Stewart

WR-McCutchen, Taz Williams, Ed Small

OL- Coleman bros, Christian, Rodgers

DL- Landon Rink, Chace Sims, Floyd Guidry, Dilan Battle

Edge- Jackson, Orogbo

LB- Barnes, Anthony Williams

DB-Phillips, Sellers, Zay Gentry, Nathan Tilmon

Don’t even have to go outside the borders. What a neat deal! 

And like 99% of them would be committed at this point.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, trying to seal a DB recruit from SMU isn't an ideal situation.

Is it too late fire them all and to throw money at a good DB coach…. 

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

DB is looking kinda meh, but everywhere else sounds promising. Wish we jettisoned at least one of our DB coaches.

1 hour ago, destroya said:

I remember the signing day press conference when Mack said he wished he had signed more OL. Well shit, mofo, why the fuck didn’t you? 

The 2013 class was very small due overfilled previous classes and a bunch of late decommits.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2013/2/5/3954908/texas-longhorns-recruiting-2013-national-signing-day-ashawn-robinson-ricky-seals-jones

48 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

You’d have to think that bell doesn’t hurt with the ‘25 wideout coup. Means there are going to be some great options for the ‘26 season..come on down ffrench and Moore 

they aren't thinking past Arch

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The other thing that Mack didn't do was churn through the roster - just terrible roster management compared to Saban or Sark. If someone wasn't good enough, they took up a roster spot for 4 years.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The other thing that Mack didn't do was churn through the roster - just terrible roster management compared to Saban or Sark. If someone wasn't good enough, they took up a roster spot for 4 years.

Sally's cookies won't eat themselves. 

Snippet from Hank South - 

Forgot to include this in The Stampede

Hank South

But Tashard Choice is actively involved in Nick Brooks' recruitment. Brooks is originally from Buford, Ga. which obviously connects the two. Still working on getting Brooks on the phone, but wanted to note that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hank South

But Tashard Choice is actively involved in Nick Brooks' recruitment. Brooks is originally from Buford, Ga. which obviously connects the two. Still working on getting Brooks on the phone, but wanted to note that.

I don't know how important that is - Kenny Baker is from Cartersville which is about an hour away and I doubt that matters either.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Hank South

Choice is the truth. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I don't know how important that is - Kenny Baker is from Cartersville which is about an hour away and I doubt that matters either.

Except that we know Choice is an ace recruiter, and Kenny Baker at thus point is an unknown.

Posted (edited)

Just some random information littered in threads on OTF

Monday evening recruiting nuggets

The Texas Longhorns are coming off a huge visit weekend, and have another in story June 21-23. 

Steve Sarkisian and staff have a number of recruitments coming down to the wire. OnTexasFootball provides a few Monday night nuggets. 

Nicholas Townsend, TE/ATH, Houston (Texas) Dekaney

The 6-3.5, 226 pound 4-star tight end will make the visit to Texas this weekend with his parents, and his cousin. Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M and USC remain in the mix with a decision expected in early July. Texas A&M told Townsend they want to build the best tight end room in the country, and the combo of Kiotti Armstrong (Jasper) and Townsend would do it. 

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy 

The 6-7, 355 pound mammoth large human remains expected to come down to Georgia and Texas with USC in the Fight (On)! Texas wowed Brooks and family this weekend, and Brooks took home Karaoke recruit singing awards via other prospects on hand. The Horns could win out here. It wouldn't be a surprise. Brooks doesn't appear in a rush to make a decision, and that could go into the start of the season barring a change. 

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High 

The explosive playmaker will decide between Texas and Texas A&M. OTF believes Texas is where Johnson wants to be in a perfect world. In talking to a source Monday afternoon, the Texas wide receiver room would be the reason why Johnson could opt for the Aggies. Johnson isn't scared of competition to be clear - it's the earlier path to the field that is selling point in CS. Steve Sarkisian made it known once again how much Texas wants Johnson. Texas hasn't wavered in that regard. 

John Mills, OT/IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius 

It will be Texas or Washington for the OnTexasFootball 4-star lineman out of California. Florida continues to try, but will not be the pick. Texas has held a lead for months, and the Huskies are doing their very best to continue to chip away. A decision could come in the next three weeks. Mills checked in at 6-6 and 340 on his visit over the weekend. He was hosted by Daniel Cruz. 

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High

Texas has a legit shot at Myron Charles headed into his OV to FSU this weekend. There has been an increased level of contact with Charles and family since the official visit June 7-9 weekend. A FSU vs. Texas decision remains expected with Miami trying to fight.

A lot of eyes in Austin will be on Tallahassee this weekend with targets Charles, DL Kevin Wynn and EDGE Javion Hilson on visits.

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite (Texas) Horn 

The OTF 4-star OT will visit both Oklahoma and FSU this week/weekend. The Sooners are noteworthy with the mid-week visit, especially if his mom attends as scheduled. Rogers had a tremendous time at Texas over the weekend, and there is a level of confidence with the recruitment. OTF is in wait and see mode here with Missouri and Texas A&M swinging away big. 

image.thumb.png.df134f93393589d286704ed4b137b53d.png
image.thumb.png.69a3f78fd82db06f933b4444e7b04c5c.png
image.png.a743fa088e52c3847f60d8ec775014a4.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 4

Gerry 

Ten recruitments Texas needs to win, plus the "must win"

The Texas Longhorns are closing in on the final official visit weekend of June, and that means a number of decisions will be announced in the next month. 

Steve Sarkisian and staff are sitting in the top 2 of a number of recruitments, both in state and nationally. Now it comes down to how many, and who the Horns will win out for. 

OnTexasFootball takes a look at ten recruitments Texas needs to win for various reasons that are a "must get", key region battles for a premium position player, key area to score a huge victory in nationally and filling key needs within the class. 

10. Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.) High 
The 5-11, 175 pound corner became a priority target in the early spring by the Longhorns. Texas passed over some talented in-state corners to go all in on the multi-sport star on I-20. Anding will bring mom, brother and two or three other family members to Austin this weekend. Texas needs to win this one at cornerback in the cycle. 

9. Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High 
Sark loves explosive playmaking speed. Johnson has explosive playmaking speed with untapped upside. Sark doesn't want to see Texas A&M start getting that explosive playmaking speed. Game on. This is a Texas vs. Texas A&M decision looming. 

8. Nick Brooks, OT/IOL, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Brooks would be a huge national win over Georgia out of Iowa. That's a sentence I have never typed covering Texas. Brooks is large human national recruitment between the current No. 1 program in college football and the returning national power headed to the SEC. This one has meaning for both Georgia and Texas, it's just not taking place in the Southeast Region or Texas. 

7. Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower 
Phillips is one of the top all-around athletes in the Lone Star State in the 2025 cycle. At 6-2, 180 with an 80 inch wing span, 10 inch hands, a 24'7" long jump, state qualifier in the 200 meters and ball skills - he's a top 100 recruit nationally. And he's a position of need in the cycle, whether he plays safety or anywhere else in the secondary. This is also a battle with LSU in Missouri City. 

6. Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High
Getting both Elijah Barnes and Riley Pettijohn in the same class would send Texas fans into orbit for a bit. Pettijohn is a tremendous culture fit at Texas, but the competition is real with Texas A&M and Ohio State. The visit this weekend to College Station will be a big one in how these three teams will shake out. 

5. Myron Charles or Josiah Sharma or Kevin Wynn
The Longhorns pretty much have to walk away with one of the three out of state 4-star defensive linemen. It's likely FSU or Texas for Charles, Alabama or Texas for Sharma and Texas is in the fight for Wynn. Texas has gone deep sea fishing at the premium position, which is a key position of need in the 2025 cycle. 

4. Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin 
Texas vaulted into the pole position in April, and entering the weekend remain strong. A win for a 5-star level prospect out of Jacksonville, Florida would again add to the Longhorns success in the Sunshine State - in an area that Texas hasn't won out for a big time prospect before under Sarkisian. And Ffrench reminds me of AD Mitchell from a frame, route running ability at that size, body control and ability to track the ball in the air. 

3. Nicholas Townsend, TE/ATH, Houston (Texas) Dekaney 
Some might be surprised to see Townsend this high on the list. This is how much I think of Townsend as an athlete and potential star at the tight end position. Guys that are 6-3.5, 230, run 10.92 FAT 100 meters and are physical players are few and far between. Alabama is telling Townsend he's the "only tight end" they will take, if that tells one anything about his talent level in the eyes of college coaches. 

2. Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High 
This one is pretty simple. The 5-star offensive tackle will likely go to Texas A&M if not Texas, and Oklahoma is the third in serious contention. This one would be a premium position win over both arch rivals on a 5-star in the DFW area. This recruitment will also be impactful in Texas' quest for a fourth straight top 5 level class. 

1. Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
This is is self explanatory - Brown will go to LSU if not Texas. And now a weekend visit to Oklahoma upcoming will likely be the Sooners attempt to push him to LSU over Texas, if nothing else. 

One "must win"
Duncanville (Texas) High 5-star wide receiver Dakorien Moore is the "must win" for me in the 2025 cycle. He's a super freak with rare ability at a premium position. Nothing else needs to be said.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Think it's pretty clear Brooks gave Georgia a silent after his OV a few weeks ago with the run of picks that came in for him after.

Maybe Brooks is the guy Gerry mentioned yesterday as having given silents to two schools. Gerry was saying this when he was talking about Texas possibly having 4 silents, but didn't know for sure because one guy had likely given silents to two schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Maybe Brooks is the guy Gerry mentioned yesterday as having given silents to two schools. Gerry was saying this when he was talking about Texas possibly having 4 silents, but didn't know for sure because one guy had likely given silents to two schools.

Assuming we get Mills, I would imagine that taking Brooks likely loses Fasusi. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? Both are tackles? I think Mills projects to interior. 

The ideal class would be Mills, Rogers, Fasusi, Brooks, and Coleman.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

I think Johnson might be the guy too

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Assuming we get Mills, I would imagine that taking Brooks likely loses Fasusi. 

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? Both are tackles? I think Mills projects to interior. 

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The ideal class would be Mills, Rogers, Fasusi, Brooks, and Coleman.

1) We already have commitments from 

- Jackson Christian

- Jordan Coleman

- Devin Coleman

2) Fasusi has long been our top priority, and I doubt he would be scared away by any other prospect we're seriously pursuing

3)  We've been after Mills for a while, and I believe he's a silent commit;  not able to find it, but there was a note on Buckeye 247 that pretty much said so

4) So I think we're looking at 

- Christian, J Coleman, D Coleman, Mills, and Fasusi (hopefully);  if we get Brooks or Rogers, I believe we take that player as a 6th OL;  it's more likely that Brooks/Rogers is deterred by Fasusi, and not the other way round

Here are the notes from Gerry's comments on a stream, in May:

image.png.567cec35d2c8127eaeab6ec78cdb95e5.png

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry 

Ten recruitments Texas needs to win, plus the "must win"

The Texas Longhorns are closing in on the final official visit weekend of June, and that means a number of decisions will be announced in the next month. 

Steve Sarkisian and staff are sitting in the top 2 of a number of recruitments, both in state and nationally. Now it comes down to how many, and who the Horns will win out for. 

OnTexasFootball takes a look at ten recruitments Texas needs to win for various reasons that are a "must get", key region battles for a premium position player, key area to score a huge victory in nationally and filling key needs within the class. 

10. Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.) High 
The 5-11, 175 pound corner became a priority target in the early spring by the Longhorns. Texas passed over some talented in-state corners to go all in on the multi-sport star on I-20. Anding will bring mom, brother and two or three other family members to Austin this weekend. Texas needs to win this one at cornerback in the cycle. 

9. Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High 
Sark loves explosive playmaking speed. Johnson has explosive playmaking speed with untapped upside. Sark doesn't want to see Texas A&M start getting that explosive playmaking speed. Game on. This is a Texas vs. Texas A&M decision looming. 

8. Nick Brooks, OT/IOL, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Brooks would be a huge national win over Georgia out of Iowa. That's a sentence I have never typed covering Texas. Brooks is large human national recruitment between the current No. 1 program in college football and the returning national power headed to the SEC. This one has meaning for both Georgia and Texas, it's just not taking place in the Southeast Region or Texas. 

7. Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower 
Phillips is one of the top all-around athletes in the Lone Star State in the 2025 cycle. At 6-2, 180 with an 80 inch wing span, 10 inch hands, a 24'7" long jump, state qualifier in the 200 meters and ball skills - he's a top 100 recruit nationally. And he's a position of need in the cycle, whether he plays safety or anywhere else in the secondary. This is also a battle with LSU in Missouri City. 

6. Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High
Getting both Elijah Barnes and Riley Pettijohn in the same class would send Texas fans into orbit for a bit. Pettijohn is a tremendous culture fit at Texas, but the competition is real with Texas A&M and Ohio State. The visit this weekend to College Station will be a big one in how these three teams will shake out. 

5. Myron Charles or Josiah Sharma or Kevin Wynn
The Longhorns pretty much have to walk away with one of the three out of state 4-star defensive linemen. It's likely FSU or Texas for Charles, Alabama or Texas for Sharma and Texas is in the fight for Wynn. Texas has gone deep sea fishing at the premium position, which is a key position of need in the 2025 cycle. 

4. Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin 
Texas vaulted into the pole position in April, and entering the weekend remain strong. A win for a 5-star level prospect out of Jacksonville, Florida would again add to the Longhorns success in the Sunshine State - in an area that Texas hasn't won out for a big time prospect before under Sarkisian. And Ffrench reminds me of AD Mitchell from a frame, route running ability at that size, body control and ability to track the ball in the air. 

3. Nicholas Townsend, TE/ATH, Houston (Texas) Dekaney 
Some might be surprised to see Townsend this high on the list. This is how much I think of Townsend as an athlete and potential star at the tight end position. Guys that are 6-3.5, 230, run 10.92 FAT 100 meters and are physical players are few and far between. Alabama is telling Townsend he's the "only tight end" they will take, if that tells one anything about his talent level in the eyes of college coaches. 

2. Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High 
This one is pretty simple. The 5-star offensive tackle will likely go to Texas A&M if not Texas, and Oklahoma is the third in serious contention. This one would be a premium position win over both arch rivals on a 5-star in the DFW area. This recruitment will also be impactful in Texas' quest for a fourth straight top 5 level class. 

1. Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
This is is self explanatory - Brown will go to LSU if not Texas. And now a weekend visit to Oklahoma upcoming will likely be the Sooners attempt to push him to LSU over Texas, if nothing else. 

One "must win"
Duncanville (Texas) High 5-star wide receiver Dakorien Moore is the "must win" for me in the 2025 cycle. He's a super freak with rare ability at a premium position. Nothing else needs to be said.

8dAytW.gif

https://gamedevbrook.itch.io/catfacts

• Haha 3

247 Defensive back recruiting intel

The Texas Longhorns are in the thick of the most important time of the year in recruiting: official visit season. 

The burnt orange have already hosted 23 prospects on official visits up to this point, but only two of those prospects happened to play in the secondary. 

That said, that will be changing pretty quickly as the Longhorns are set to host three defensive backs on midweek official visits, starting with Mission Viejo (Calif.) five-star cornerback Dijon Lee, Conroe five-star cornerback Dorian Brew, and Mansfield Timberview three-star safety and SMU commit Nathan Tilmon who are all expected in Austin later today. 

This weekend will be just as important as well, as Texas is also set to welcome in Buford (Ga.) four-star cornerback and Auburn commit Devin Williams, Fort Bend Hightower four-star cornerback Kade Phillips, and Ruston (La.) three-star cornerback Aidan Anding as the last defensive back visitors of the summer. 

With the Longhorns looking to add to their secondary commitment list that already holds a pledge from Fort Bend Marshall three-star cornerback Caleb Chester, Horns247 figured what better time to break down the recruitments of the seven defensive backs Texas is hosting on official visits this summer. 

Let's get into it.

MISSION VIEJO (CALIF.) FIVE-STAR CORNERBACK DIJON LEE

Dijon Lee (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
10 days out from his commitment, Lee will arrive in Austin this afternoon for a midweek official visit to Texas. The trip is certainly something to watch, but the consensus talking with sources is the Longhorns are playing from behind in this recruitment. Many believe it's Alabama that's best positioned ahead of Lee's June 28 announcement. The other schools in the mix are Georgia, Texas A&M, and Washington. 

Now, could the Longhorns make up a lot of ground in 48 hours? Anything is possible. The UT staff is effective on the West Coast, there's a need at cornerback in the class, and there's plenty of opportunity at Texas and in the city of Austin. 

The Crimson Tide has the last official visit this weekend before Lee makes his decision. Let's see how much of a dent the Longhorns can put in this recruitment the next two days. (SOUTH)

CONROE FIVE-STAR CORNERBACK DORIAN BREW

Dorian Brew (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Texas official visit: June 18-20

Brew arrives in Austin today for the beginning of his midweek trip to Texas after seeing LSU, USC, and Oregon on back-to-back-to-back weekend official visits. With Ohio State (21-23 weekend) being the only official visit left on the calendar after the Texas trip concludes, Brew is expected to make a summer decision with the possibility of it happening before the month of June is over. 

I caught up with a source close to Brew yesterday who views Oregon as the current leader, USC in second place, and the Longhorns in third. Texas will obviously have a chance to change that this week, as Brew has already seen both LA and Eugene on official visits. Although LSU and Ohio State are in the picture with the Buckeyes getting the last visit, the source doesn't see those two programs being much of a factor in the decision and ultimately thinks the recruitment will come down to Oregon, USC, and Texas.

Brew has been a really tough read at times throughout the spring, and while I think Texas' proximity to home could slightly help the Longhorns' chances, the source has maintained throughout the spring that NIL will be very important in this recruitment. In speaking with the source, it appears Oregon is almost dead set on landing one of either Brew or DJ Pickett, so I wouldn't necessarily shock me if the Ducks emerge as a true favorite in a few weeks. Regardless, Texas will have to have a good official visit this week to make it more of a competition with Oregon and USC for Brew's commitment.  (Scruggs)

MANSFIELD TIMBERVIEW THREE-STAR SAFETY NATHAN TILMON — SMU COMMIT

Nathan Tilmon (Photo: 247Sports)
Texas official visit: June 18-20

After speaking with a source throughout the last week, I decided to enter in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Tilmon eventually flipping his commitment from SMU to Texas. The source didn't see the speedy safety prospect sticking with his SMU commitment even before the Texas offer came on June 1st, and now that he's set to come in for a midweek official visit beginning today, the source really likes the chances of Tilmon eventually ending up in the Longhorns' 2025 recruiting class.

The source ultimately views the opportunity to play in the SEC for a bigtime program like Texas too much for Tilmon to turn down, and adds that the Forty Acres only being a two to three hour car ride away is only helping the Longhorns' chances as well. Tilmon and his family have been through the recruiting process before with Tilmon's older brother, Terrell Tilmon having already gone through the process in 2021 before eventually transferring. That said, I'm not sure exactly when I'd expect a flip to happen, but I think it would make sense to anticipate it potentially coming before the summer is over. (Scruggs)

BUFORD (GA.) FOUR-STAR CORNERBACK DEVIN WILLIAMS — AUBURN COMMIT

Devin Williams (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)
Texas official visit: June 21-23

We weren't sure if Williams would make the trip he had scheduled to Austin this weekend. He was after all back at Auburn this past weekend and appears firm with the Tigers as things stand. 

Williams did reaffirm that he'll be in Austin this weekend. He's bringing both his parents and his brother with him. So at the very least it looks like he's giving Texas full consideration. 

But it's still an uphill battle to move him off the Tigers, per sources. Of course, we'll keep a close eye on things with this upcoming weekend being the last for official visitors this summer. (SOUTH)

FORT BEND HIGHTOWER FOUR-STAR CORNERBACK KADE PHILLIPS

Kade Phillips (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
After Texas A&M filled up at cornerback with four Top247 commits at the position, Phillips didn't make it to College Station for his Texas A&M official visit that was scheduled June 7-9. Horns247 reported that earlier in the month and said we viewed the recruitment as a Texas vs. LSU battle, and after catching up with a source in Houston yesterday, the same remains. 

The source sees LSU as being in front of Texas as things currently stand, but also made sure to add that a big reason for that is Phillips just visited LSU for his official visit this past weekend. While the Bayou Bengals being the most recent visit is a big reason for the sources thinking, he also thinks a part of LSU's position over Texas has to do with the Tigers recruiting Phillips at his primary position (cornerback), whereas the Longhorns have spent the majority of the spring pursuing Phillips at the safety position. Although Phillips has maintained in interviews that he doesn't have a positional preference, the source does think that Phillips leans toward the corner position rather than safety.

Texas will still have a good shot to turn things around and it's very much still a winnable recruitment for the Longhorns, but things will have to go well this upcoming weekend for that to be possible. Selling Phillips on playing safety and breaking down the depth chart in terms of what his path to the field looks like will be an important part of the visit for Phillips. Going back to when Phillps collected his offer from the burnt orange on Feb. 18 of this year, sources have long said that the Longhorns are the favorite program for Phillips' father. While the decision will still be up to the younger Phillips at the end of the day, having a parent in the recruitment favor Texas certainly doesn't hurt. Corey Raymond and the Bayou Bengals won't go down without a fight, but it'll be up to Texas to balance things out this weekend as they look to make a move for the Top247 defensive back on his last official visit before settling on a July decision. (Scruggs)

RUSTON (LA.) THREE-STAR CORNERBACK AIDAN ANDING

Aidan Anding (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Texas official visit: June 21-23

Since going out to see Anding in a spring ball practice in May, Horns247 has long reported we see the decision coming down to Texas vs. Miami for the fast rising cornerback from the Pelican State. In checking in with a source in Ruston yesterday, I'm told that mostly the same remains, but that Arkansas did make things a little bit more competitive after Anding's official visit to Fayetteville this past weekend. 

With TCU being viewed as a nonfactor at this point, the source still sees the eventual decision coming down to the Hurricanes and the Longhorns, but added the Razorbacks are much more in the picture than they were when I stopped by the school in May. The Longhorns are set up well with having the last official visit in the recruitment before a summer decision is made, and the source believes Anding will end up at Texas if things go well this weekend.

Terry Joseph has utilized his Louisiana ties and has done a great job in this recruitment throughout the spring, but with a decision set to come in the next few weeks it'll be up to Joseph and the Longhorns to continue being consistent in their pursuit of Anding as the staff looks to possibly shut things down this weekend. Anding will make the trip to Austin with his mother, older brother, and younger brother and I wouldn't be surprised to see Derek Williams Jr., Wardell Mack, or former freshman standout Malik Muhammad end up as his player host. (Scruggs)

UPLAND (CALIF.) FOUR-STAR CORNERBACK AND USC COMMIT TRESTIN CASTRO

Trestin Castro (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
Texas official visit: June 14-16

Coming out of Castro's official visit to the Forty Acres last weekend I'm paying closer attention to how the rest of this one unfolds. The West Coast standout will be back at USC this weekend where the Trojans will look to cement his standing with the program. But Texas has his attention. 

"It's just really on this visit to USC coming up. If they don't meet the expectations Texas did, we'll see," Castro told Horns247 on Sunday. 

Castro plans to make a "final" decision one way or the other after this upcoming weekend. Texas is a factor but USC will try to box the Longhorns out this weekend. (SOUTH)

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Teryor said:

247 Defensive back recruiting intel

Recruiting Phillips as a safety when his preference is corner seems like a really weird and unnecessary blunder since this staff seems to prefer starting DBs at corner then moving them to S/N (e.g., Jordan, McDonald, Roberson). 

56 minutes ago, Getafix said:

1) We already have commitments from 

- Jackson Christian

- Jordan Coleman

- Devin Coleman

2) Fasusi has long been our top priority, and I doubt he would be scared away by any other prospect we're seriously pursuing

3)  We've been after Mills for a while, and I believe he's a silent commit;  not able to find it, but there was a note on Buckeye 247 that pretty much said so

4) So I think we're looking at 

- Christian, J Coleman, D Coleman, Mills, and Fasusi (hopefully);  if we get Brooks or Rogers, I believe we take that player as a 6th OL;  it's more likely that Brooks/Rogers is deterred by Fasusi, and not the other way round

Here are the notes from Gerry's comments on a stream, in May:

image.png.567cec35d2c8127eaeab6ec78cdb95e5.png

I have heard Jerry say Mills is a RT candidate. I just have a hard time thinking we can somehow pull Brooks and Fasusi, and thinking down the road to 2026 getting John Turntine. If I were to put money on it, I would say Brooks to Georgia. That would clear the picture a bit. 

34 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have heard Jerry say Mills is a RT candidate. I just have a hard time thinking we can somehow pull Brooks and Fasusi, and thinking down the road to 2026 getting John Turntine. If I were to put money on it, I would say Brooks to Georgia. That would clear the picture a bit. 

Georgia is in the top 2 for David Sanders Jr. who is higher rated than Fausi, don’t really see why Brooks would care about Fausi and not Sanders. 

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Think it's pretty clear Brooks gave Georgia a silent after his OV a few weeks ago with the run of picks that came in for him after.

That's ok.  Bijan was a silent commit for tOSU and we all know how that turned out.