Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.... SMU is an ACC team with a good recruiting staff that had a committed QB in the Elite 11 finals until Russell was poached by Alabama. Idk that grabbing an SMU commit is as much of a reach today as it was a couple years ago. 

Russell is a guy that blew up in a short period of time. The idea that there's also another Michael Huff on the same SMU commitment list not believable. They're having to do some extra work to get the headcount they want at a few spots due to current roster depth of those spots. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't remember that. Must have been a slow period for clicks and views or something. The biggest non-story of this cycle will be flipping that player from SMU. The bigger deal there is why in the fuck we are stooping to that level of talent reach in the first place.

Two things happened with this post.

The first is that you quoted the spider2y dipshit and I read what he wrote and agreed with it, which caused this to happen:

image.png.41e4c2b2e6a7c4c8b5e28f1177c1c6ab.png

And second, I found myself wondering if I'd been time-warped back to the Hornfans recruiting board, circa 2000. Christ. North Shore has been fool's gold in recruiting for the better part of a decade. Outside of Chaisson and a guard that went to Bama (kind of decent), every highly touted recruit from there has been a scorching bust. 

IMG_9487.gif

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry

Lunchtime Recruiting Juice

While you guys down Chick-fil-a, figured I would provide some juice to go with it. 

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High 

Upping my percentage from 65% to 75% headed into the weekend OV to Oregon. 

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High

The 6-4, 290 pounder and his mother had a positive call with Steve Sarkisian Monday. This one still sets up to be a FSU vs. Texas decision headed into the OV to Tallahassee this weekend. The Charles' have been in communication with Texas more since the OV than prior. 

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High

My percentage on the 6-2, 215 pound linebacker with a PR of 10.77 in the 100 meters is 70% headed into the weekend OV to Texas A&M. OTF believes this will be a Texas vs. Texas A&M decision with Ohio State third. 

Kevin Wynn, DL, Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County

Wynn had a positive OV follow up call with Steve Sarkisian this week. Wynn's father wasn't able to make the trip over the weekend, but he has since spoken with Sarkisian as well. Texas is thought to have a legitimate shot in this one headed into the FSU visit weekend. 

Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower

It's Texas or LSU for the Houston area defensive back. LSU's Corey Raymond continues the hard sell at cornerback. Phillips likes that message. Texas is the preference of a couple of people in the circle, and has been for a while. 

Javion Hilson, EDGE, Cocoa (Fla.) High

One thing that hasn't changed since the Texas visit, Hilson's mom would like for her son to get out of the state for college. Experience something new and different. Hilson was once an Alabama pledge prior to Saban retiring and the flip to FSU. 

John Mills and Nick Brooks

OTF is still hearing positive chatter in both recruitments. The duo are on different decision timelines, however. 

Gruntled with that Pettijohn percentage. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.... SMU is an ACC team with a good recruiting staff that had a committed QB in the Elite 11 finals until Russell was poached by Alabama. Idk that grabbing an SMU commit is as much of a reach today as it was a couple years ago. 

Lashlee is doing a Gary Patterson level good job of talent evaluation. They are going to be a player in the ACC sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

And steal aggys baseball HC to show we're daddy and we get what we want. 

If we steal the successful aggy baseball coach we should be very complimentary to aggy telling them they did a fantastic job developing this coach and getting him ready for the big time in state program. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby should try and hire Scruggs away from 247. 

Why? He's already got the best in the business and a young kid up and comer who apparently works his ass off. Doesn't need another recruiting guy. 

The guy who should be looking to place him is Nahlin. Wells is lazy and didn't even show up on campus to cover the biggest recruiting weekends of the year. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

Why? He's already got the best in the business and a young kid up and comer who apparently works his ass off. Doesn't need another recruiting guy. 

The guy who should be looking to place him is Nahlin. Wells is lazy and didn't even show up on campus to cover the biggest recruiting weekends of the year. 

Why because it would give OTF all the current best in the Texas industry and only grow OTF as the premiere site for Texas information. Fuck Nahlin 

27 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Fuck that nonsense. Nahlin will continue to step on his own dick and Wells seems nice enough, he's just an awful listen/watch.

I'm guessing he's saying Bobby should get him because he'd fit right in and provide value. A's hire A's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

It's not like OTF covers all of college football. They cover Texas only. Two full time recruiting guys is already almost too much. What is Scruggs going to cover that Gerry and CJ don't already repeat 15 times a week now?

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's not like OTF covers all of college football. They cover Texas only. Two full time recruiting guys is already almost too much. What is Scruggs going to cover that Gerry and CJ don't already repeat 15 times a week now?

Would allow Gerry to do what he loves the most, travel throughout the Southeast to cover football and recruiting. Maybe CJ or Scruggs could cover some of the Arizona/Cali market in addition to Texas.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, SMU’s strategy for landing whales is to offer early, try to get a commit and hold on until signing day. It’s a tough and frustrating strategy, but when it hits (Bijan Robinson and Kevin Durant), it’s beautiful. 

Our response tactic is to take closer looks at kids committed to TCU and SMU to see if there’s anything we want there. 

Edited by statsman

38 minutes ago, statsman said:

Yeah, SMU’s strategy for landing whales is to offer early, try to get a commit and hold on until signing day. It’s a tough and frustrating strategy, but when it hits (Bijan Robinson and Kevin Durant), it’s beautiful. 

Our strategy is to take closer looks at kids committed to TCU and SMU to see if there’s anything we want there. 

I like how you illustrated SMU's strategy by citing two athletes who went to Texas. Can you do it with actual SMU athletes (whales) that they succesfully held onto and eventually signed?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, statsman said:

Our response tactic is to take closer looks at kids committed to TCU and SMU to see if there’s anything we want there. 

But that's never worked. And, no, Preston Stone is not an example of it working. There's only one guy who we really missed on that ended up there, 3* S Isaiah Nwokobia

What has worked is being the fallback school for busted transfers and high probability high school busts like Camar Wheaton, LJ Johnson, David Abiara, Omari Abor, Savion Byrd, PJ Williams, and Jordan Hudson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like how you illustrated SMU's strategy by citing two athletes who went to Texas

Not only that, but Bijan gave a silent commitment to tOSU, so he actually flipped to Texas.

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How did we let SMU just take Doak Walker? WTF?

They used Rusty Russell as the ultimate bargaining chip to lure him in. That was the only thing that stood between Texas and Walker.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like how you illustrated SMU's strategy by citing two athletes who went to Texas. Can you do it with actual SMU athletes (whales) that they succesfully held onto and eventually signed?

No, I can’t. It’s definitely a high-miss-rate strategy (as we see real time). 

I’m trying to think of guys that could have gone anywhere, going to small programs (not hidden gems excavated by small programs, which happens all the time). Robert Strait to Baylor and Micah Parker to TT are all that come to mind right now. 

18 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’m trying to think of guys that could have gone anywhere, going to small programs (not hidden gems excavated by small programs, which happens all the time). Robert Strait to Baylor and Micah Parker to TT are all that come to mind right now. 

Ed Oliver to Houston - liked grills and kisses on the cheek.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How did we let SMU just take Doak Walker? WTF?

Thought the story was he saw Bobby Layne already on campus and realized he couldn’t hang

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Thought the story was he saw Bobby Layne already on campus and realized he couldn’t hang

No, that was YA Tittle (HoFer from LSU)

Layne and Walker were HS buddies. Layne thought he had him going to Texas

Edited by statsman

4 minutes ago, statsman said:

No, that was YA Tittle (HoFer from LSU)

Layne and Walker were HS buddies. Layne thought he had him going to Texas

This is correct. They were teammates at HP, but Layne was older and already in Austin when Walker was deciding where to go. More importantly, Rusty Russell was still Highland Park’s head coach when Layne was at Texas and Walker was a senior at HP. Again, SMU hired Russell as a backfield coach in 1945 specifically so that they could steal Doak from Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Jerrod Douglas going from Converse Judson to Baylor back in the day was another head scratcher. That dude was the truth. A lot of guys going to smaller schools was usually grade related or being a borderline criminal.  

1 hour ago, statsman said:

So I think my point is, that if you can't cite any examples, how could you say something like you said earlier "When it hits it's beautiful?" Becuase it's literally never hit for them. 

Also, I think you mean Micah Hudson. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Jeez, these threads can take bizarre turns, and I hate contributing, but here I am. Before communication was as “sophisticated” and as frequent as it is today (answering machines), the scoop is Trooper Taylor (at Baylor at the time) called Douglas’ house, and left a message that he was a Texas assistant and they would no longer be pursuing Jerrod. JD got the message, and committed to Baylor. It apparently really was that fucking stupid. Bucky Godbolt was as pissed as anyone I’d ever seen following our obliteration of Baylor that weird year we played them at 10am on either Thanksgiving or T+1, screaming “We didn’t have to cheat!” over and over again.

Jerrod Douglas going from Converse Judson to Baylor back in the day was another head scratcher. That dude was the truth. A lot of guys going to smaller schools was usually grade related or being a borderline criminal.  

Grades was the factor there.

Elite 11 rankings, by the Elite 11 staff, 247 staff (writers), and On3.  Overall, Lacey did better in the Accuracy portion on Day 2, and worse (relatively) on the Pro Day portion.

Also remember - they have a total of 20 QBs there, and 11 of them will end up as THE "Elite 11".

DAY 1  (ELITE 1  STAFF)

DAY 2 CUMULATIVE (ELITE 11 STAFF) (AFTER ACCURACY & PRO DAY WORKOUTS) 

THIS IS 247SPORTS / ANDREW IVINS' RANKING, AFTER DAY 2, CUMULATIVE (LACEY IS 10th)

image.thumb.png.c66f2fc3faba2e8dd9f13c1c6ad77a7f.png

THIS IS ON3, FOR DAY 2 (ACCURACY AND PRO DAY)

image.png.0a9636255aea33a28a34945d58f87977.png

• Haha 2