Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Point is if Sark wanted a guy with name recognition who could come in and deliver instant recruiting he'd have gone after someone like O or another known college DL coach. 

He went after Baker because he prioritized development, especially in the pass rush. Now whether Baker will deliver and prove Sark right won't be known for a while. 

I thought Wright was the target and when he got promoted, Sark scrambled and got Baker.

Faraimo has been a silent to ND for half a year. Good luck with it. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Chris Jackson’s recruiting was pretty slow getting started last year as well, with a bunch of the recruitments drawing out into the season, or losing guys at this time of year. Now he seems to have shit rolling. My hope is that Baker has a similar trajectory and we can find some success later in the cycle with either a flip or a clear difference maker.

Comparing the approach from this staff between WR and DT is like comparing night and day. Sarkisian takes a personal interest in WR recruiting. DT is hardly on his radar. The DT coach has to be able to be a fucking beast in recruiting on his own. 

Also, over the prior 3 cycles under Sarkisian, Texas has overspent on NIL at every position on the roster except TE and DT. Now would be a good time to change that. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Faraimo has been a silent to ND for half a year. Good luck with it. 

Comparing the approach from this staff between WR and DT is like comparing night and day. Sarkisian takes a personal interest in WR recruiting. DT is hardly on his radar. The DT coach has to be able to be a fucking beast in recruiting on his own. 

Also, over the prior 3 cycles under Sarkisian, Texas has overspent on NIL at every position on the roster except TE and DT. Now would be a good time to change that. 

That's what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

For all of the lauding of the hire of the amazing Kenny Baker

You've said this multiple times, but I don't remember anyone being excited by the hire. 

I think the vast majority of the board was in the "who the fuk is that guy?" category... and even the most "ardent supporters" of the hire were just basically saying trust Sark.  

Who are you talking about?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

That's what I'm saying.

Send Sarkisian your strongly worded letter, then. NIL follows his direction. DT has not been a priority. 

For anyone doubting what I just typed, please recognize that while we all may wish for something else, I’m not speculating on this one. 

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

You've said this multiple times, but I don't remember anyone being excited by the hire. 

I think the vast majority of the board was in the "who the fuk is that guy?" category... and even the most "ardent supporters" of the hire were just basically saying trust Sark.  

Who are you talking about?

The larger longhorn world than Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Send Sarkisian your strongly worded letter, then. NIL follows his direction. DT has not been a priority. 

For anyone doubting what I just typed, please recognize that while we all may wish for something else, I’m not speculating on this one. 

Its easy to see that as true....the funny part is that people are using "culture fit" when it comes to DT recruiting and not wanting to pay up to land them.

I would’ve leaned more towards a proven guy, but it’s a gamble that may pay off. One thing I like about Sark is that he realizes fairly quickly when he made a shitty (Coleman) hire. 
Yet Gideon is still dropping easy picks all these years later. I get the value of having an ex player as coach, but if the results of the coaching/recruiting arent good...it's no longer worth it.
  • Haha 2

DT is an evaluation and development position not a stars position. 

Just for fun look at the top 5 stars coming out of high school in the last decade at DT and see how many are big time NFL guys. 

For 2015:

Trenton Thompson

Khalil McKenzie

Terry Becker Jr

Daylon Mack

Rasheem Green

All out of the league. None really did much of anything in the league. Green was at least a 3rd round pick but moved to DE while at USC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Just for fun look at the top 5 stars coming out of high school in the last decade at DT and see how many are big time NFL guys. 

For 2015:

Trenton Thompson

Khalil McKenzie

Terry Becker Jr

Daylon Mack

Rasheem Green

All out of the league. None really did much of anything in the league. Green was at least a 3rd round pick but moved to DE while at USC. 

Byron Murphy - 247 **** (90)

Ruke Orhorhoro - 247 *** (87)

Jer-Zhan Newton - 247 *** (86)

T'Vondre Sweat 247 *** (89)

Braden Fiske - 247 **** (93)

Masson Smith - 247 ***** (98)

Kris Jenkins - 247 *** (88)

Michael Hall Jr. - 247 **** (97)

Those were the DTs taken in the 1st 2 rounds in April.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

For 2015:

Trenton Thompson

Khalil McKenzie

Terry Becker Jr

Daylon Mack

Rasheem Green

barack obama hope GIF by Obama

46 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

For 2015:

Trenton Thompson

Khalil McKenzie

Terry Becker Jr

Daylon Mack

Rasheem Green

Tell that to Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and Dabo Swinney. They won national titles getting big time 5 star players at the position. Yes you need to develop the position but you also have to have elite interior DL to match your edges and secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tell that to Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and Dabo Swinney. They won national titles getting big time 5 star players at the position. Yes you need to develop the position but you also have to have elite interior DL to match your edges and secondary. 

Don’t forget about Jimbo

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/22/2024 at 4:51 PM, closetojumping said:

In a land full of idiots, the Spider fucktard staggers the most idiotic across all of the horizon. He's a room temperature IQ poster with the inability to filter any thoughts. When he shows up after being gone for a few weeks working his graveyard shift, he pulls the trigger on his gatlin gun of terrible, voluminous takes and doesn't walk away until he's unloaded his banality on every active thread. 

Gerry Cooney once received something similar to this, but it wasn't in writing. 

MICHAEL FASUSI - GERRY HAMILTON / OTF

Texas vs Oklahoma for Fasusi is where it remains headed with the Aggies swinging.

A source close to the recruitment said Fasusi truly values the plan and development of Kyle Flood. 

Fasusi also really enjoyed his away football time in Norman. That appealed to him, maybe more than Texas. And yes, the players went out to 6th area a little while last night. 

It’s a recruitment Texas can win. But still in the balance/battle. 

MICHAEL FASUSI - GERRY HAMILTON / OTF

Texas remains confident… to be clear. The Horns side feels good. 

NATHAN TILMON - GERRY HAMILTON / OTF

Texas safety target Nathan Tilmon (Mansfield, Texas/Timberview) opens up recruitment

Texas feels pretty good here - for what it’s worth

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Byron Murphy - 247 **** (90)

Ruke Orhorhoro - 247 *** (87)

Jer-Zhan Newton - 247 *** (86)

T'Vondre Sweat 247 *** (89)

Braden Fiske - 247 **** (93)

Masson Smith - 247 ***** (98)

Kris Jenkins - 247 *** (88)

Michael Hall Jr. - 247 **** (97)

Those were the DTs taken in the 1st 2 rounds in April.

There are several guys with Murphy’s numbers in this cycle that Sarkisian isn’t very interested in letting Baker recruit. Starfuck for this staff or get fucked, apparently. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Bo was still here our DL haul would more than likely be Brown, Zion, Xavier Ukpono, and Chase Sims/Floyd Guidry.

There definitely seemed to be a disconnect at the end (and I guess maybe all along) about the guys Bo preferred and the guys we needed/hoped to land. In the 2023 class didn’t we pass on multiple dudes who were ready to commit because we didn’t like their measurables which led to the one man class of Sydir Mitchell? Forgot the name, but there was that one we brought in super late for a visit in the cycle who was committed to WVU who we said no thanks to.

I completely forgot about dudes like Ukpono and Guidry. Guidry seemed like a heavy Texas lean at the beginning of the cycle. 

Edited by Hookem2147

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There definitely seemed to be a disconnect at the end (and I guess maybe all along) about the guys Bo preferred and the guys we needed/hoped to land. In the 2023 class didn’t we pass on multiple dudes who were ready to commit because we didn’t like their measurables which led to the one man class of Sydir Mitchell? Forgot the name, but there was that one we brought in super late for a visit in the cycle who was committed to WVU who we said no thanks to.

I completely forgot about dudes like Ukpono and Guidry. Guidry seemed like a heavy Texas lean at the beginning of the cycle. 

He didn't even bother to recruit 5* Joseph Jonah-Ajonye, and the kid legit interest in us. Bo was a lazy recruiter. Great at developing, but a lazy ass recruiter. How the fuck do you not even bother calling or reaching out to a 5* DT who had interest in us out of Texas?