Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Did you not read the part about needing a track record?

He'd just arrived on campus.  If we fans were underwhelmed by the hire, why would you assume a bunch of recruits/transfers would jump on board without seeing what kind of coach he is?

Let's at least give him a full year to see what he can do with the talent he has before we throw up our hands.

OU got him in the portal, so we were playing from behind, anyway. 

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at this. Despite seeing how critical it's been to the success of the last 4 national title winning programs, quite a bit which he saw first hand, homeboy is dismissive of the importance.

Or, more likely, since he's an offensively focused guy he naturally overstates the importance of offensive positions and downplays defensive ones. 

Last season we had arguably the best DTs in the nation and lost in the playoffs because of lack of rush and lack of DB coverage. 

In this era of CFB you can't go Saban or Smart and stock pile DL anymore. Have to evaluate and develop much better since NIL budgets won't allow it. 

Besides, like I said, we will get real world evidence in practice whether 4 portal Data added to what was on campus will be enough to field a strong enough DL to compete for a title. No need to whine and bitch today because we'll get to see it first hand in the fall. 

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Last season we had arguably the best DTs in the nation and lost in the playoffs because of lack of rush and lack of DB coverage. 

In this era of CFB you can't go Saban or Smart and stock pile DL anymore. Have to evaluate and develop much better since NIL budgets won't allow it. 

Besides, like I said, we will get real world evidence in practice whether 4 portal Data added to what was on campus will be enough to field a strong enough DL to compete for a title. No need to whine and bitch today because we'll get to see it first hand in the fall. 

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but as other posters on this thread have said, there's plenty of money to allocate to the DL, DT specifically, but it's not being allocated there because reasons. Also, lol at the notion of you dictating to me or some other posters about exactly what the NIL budget looks like. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

A tiny bit outdated from Kevin Wynn's 247 profile (and counting Lance Jackson as a DL):

Florida State
    8 DL, 0 Commits

Georgia
    11 DL, 2 Commits

Texas
    6 DL, 2 Commits

Alabama
    13 DL, 2 Commits

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but as other posters on this thread have said, there's plenty of money to allocate to the DL, DT specifically, but it's not being allocated there because reasons. Also, lol at the notion of you dictating to me or some other posters about exactly what the NIL budget looks like. 

I don't get this, either. I know Sark is an offensive guy, but surely he knows we fucking need DTs to actually clog lanes for our edges, and also our DTs to get to the passer...like he fucking saw with Murphy and Sweat. He's a smart guy, but damn if he might be too stubborn to look in the mirror and allocate money to those guys instead of 4 WRs each class. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A tiny bit outdated from Kevin Wynn's 247 profile (and counting Lance Jackson as a DL):

Florida State
    8 DL, 0 Commits

Georgia
    11 DL, 2 Commits

Texas
    6 DL, 2 Commits

Alabama
    13 DL, 2 Commits

Broughton, Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Collins, January, Savea, Finkley, Simmons, Zina, Moore, Akana, Sorrel, Burke, Vasek, Lole 

16 scholarship DL on campus. No idea where you're getting 6 from. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Sark going with the reverse Jimbo Fisher strategy. Badass team of five stars with the Texas State Bobcats defensive line. 

11 hours ago, utfan87 said:

So we made fun on Lincoln Riley about not prioritizing defense at all. Should we view sark in the same manner in regards to defense and the usage of nil? Not to mention the fact that he has allowed Gideon, Joseph coaching out of position and hiring unknown entity in Baker. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We're about 12 hours from posters asking why Sark hates defense and why he's forbidding his assistants to recruit defensive tackles. 

Hey @Red Five, you're about 12 hours too late on your prediction.

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Broughton, Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Collins, January, Savea, Finkley, Simmons, Zina, Moore, Akana, Sorrel, Burke, Vasek, Lole 

16 scholarship DL on campus. No idea where you're getting 6 from. 

First off, a bunch of those dudes aren't DL. That six number probably only includes the returning DTs, not counting the transfers and incoming freshmen. 

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Florida State
    8 DL, 0 Commits

Georgia
    11 DL, 2 Commits

Texas
    6 DL, 2 Commits

Alabama
    13 DL, 2 Commits

you appear to be counting DTs, not all DL, and I don’t know where you’re getting your numbers from, but you should find a different source. 

We have 9 DTs on the roster, counting Bledsoe. And he’s listed at 293 on the Texas website, which is definitely DT weight, not edge. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

First off, a bunch of those dudes aren't DL. That six number probably only includes the returning DTs, not counting the transfers and incoming freshmen. 

Well, the list is pretty fucked up so it is impossible to tell what 247 is doing. But, if you look at the names they have listed, it does add up to 6 DT.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/kevin-wynn-155054/recruitinterests/

image.png.51f0f87355b207930b217646956748fa.png

Edited by Bevo

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Neither you nor I know how much money sark has to allocate towards a defensive tackle group, and we don't know how much money he wants to allocate towards all his various positions including quarterback. 

So you and these other whiny cunts around here can go ahead and whine and bitch, but I'll go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who took us from over a decade of pure shit to the playoff in 3 years. 

The guy who just had his defensive tackles coach flake out on him to school so he's had to make an unexpected coaching change at that position. Yet you unrealistic dipshits expect a guy who never met these kids until this spring to in 3 months usurp their relationship with defensive line coaches going back 2 to 3 years or longer. 

Do you listen to yourself? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Neither you nor I know how much money sark has to allocate towards a defensive tackle group, and we don't know how much money he wants to allocate towards all his various positions including quarterback. 

So you and these other whiny cunts around here can go ahead and whine and bitch, but I'll go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who took us from over a decade of pure shit to the playoff in 3 years. 

The guy who just had his defensive tackles coach flake out on him to school so he's had to make an unexpected coaching change at that position. Yet you unrealistic dipshits expect a guy who never met these kids until this spring to in 3 months usurp their relationship with defensive line coaches going back 2 to 3 years or longer. 

Being one of those dipshits...

IMG_9539.gif

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, the list is pretty fucked up so it is impossible to tell what 247 is doing. But, if you look at the names they have listed, it does add up to 6 DT.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/kevin-wynn-155054/recruitinterests/

image.png.51f0f87355b207930b217646956748fa.png

It’s really fucking obvious that list isn’t showing all of our DL.   It literally says it’s only showing DEs, not the whole DL. 

It’s missing Collins, Norton, and Lole. That’s 9 DTs plus 2 commits for 2 starting spots. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It’s really fucking obvious that list isn’t showing all of our DL.   It literally says it’s only showing DEs, not the whole DL. 

It’s missing Collins, Norton, and Lole. That’s 9 DTs plus 2 commits for 2 starting spots. 

It's fucked up, but those guys weren't here for the spring. Neither was Hills. I think everyone else is accounted for. 

Either way, not sure why they're referring to all of our D-linemen and edges as DEs.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oh yeah, there is a lot wrong with the list. The list should show only DTs yet it is showing DEs and DTs. Yet, the graphic is labeled DEs. There are 6 DTs on the list that is labelled DEs so it is missing 3DTs that we have on the roster.

I was hoping for something accurate from 247. Perhaps, that is the mistake.

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The bolded is pretty funny to me. You do realize that myself, and several other posters in recruiting, are founding members of HornsWithHeart, which became Texas One Fund, right? My name is still listed on the 501c3 IRS form One Fund operates under. Other posters here literally are still on the board at One Fund and have to sign and approve contracts. Do you think One Fund operates in a vacuum and just makes offers Willy Nilly as they see fit? 

You got one thing right, I don’t know the exact numbers Sark wants to allocate to each group. Because I don’t really give enough of a shit to ask. But I can probably make a call and fucking find out. Other posters here absolutely know that number and they’re telling you it’s not a priority. I certainly know what the recent fundraiser and golf tournament pulled. It was impressive. 

You’re so busy trying to defend Kenny Baker, who I haven’t shat on at all, you’re getting angry at people who are straight up just telling you facts. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Oh yeah, there is a lot wrong with the list. The list should show only DTs yet it is showing DEs and DTs. Yet, the graphic is labeled DEs. There are 6 DTs on the list that is labelled DEs so it is missing 3DTs that we have on the roster.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/texas/92016

BUCK 31 Moore, Trey RS JR/TR 11 Simmons, Colin FR 19 Umeozulu, Zina FR        
LDT 45 Broughton, Vernon RS SR 0 Lole, Jermayne GR/TR 94 Bledsoe, Jaray RS SO        
NT 0 Norton, Bill GR/TR 98 Savea, Tiaoalii SR/TR 53 Bryant, Aaron RS SO        
RDT 95 Collins, Alfred SR 90 Mitchell, Sydir RS FR 97 January, Alex FR        
JACK 88 Sorrell, Barryn SR 91 Burke, Ethan JR 1 Finkley, Justice JR 92 Vasek, Colton RS FR

They have Sydir Mitchell and Akana playing the same position. That's about a 150 lb. difference. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The bolded is pretty funny to me. You do realize that myself, and several other posters in recruiting, are founding members of HornsWithHeart, which became Texas One Fund, right? My name is still listed on the 501c3 IRS form One Fund operates under. Other posters here literally are still on the board at One Fund and have to sign and approve contracts. Do you think One Fund operates in a vacuum and just makes offers Willy Nilly as they see fit? 

You got one thing right, I don’t know the exact numbers Sark wants to allocate to each group. Because I don’t really give enough of a shit to ask. But I can probably make a call and fucking find out. Other posters here absolutely know that number and they’re telling you it’s not a priority. I certainly know what the recent fundraiser and golf tournament pulled. It was impressive. 

You’re so busy trying to defend Kenny Baker, who I haven’t shat on at all, you’re getting angry at people who are straight up just telling you facts. 

Can you ask for us? TIA

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Well, at least we will have Sanders.

The mom likes Bo Davis. We'll see if that is enough to overcome where the player wants to go as well as an NIL stack that LSU can't match. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have that goober on ignore, so thanks for quoting that, as it made me laugh. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Holy shit, this is remarkable sentence. Especially given what those two have done and their ties to our NIL. 

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That doesn't necessarily say that Baker struck out with them.

Perhaps. But it does say he didn't lock them down.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Interesting that 247 thinks it's Texas/Oregon for Sharma, but Gerry says Texas/Bama'.

Over the past three days, I must have heard a half-dozen times that Sharma's strongest connection through the recruiting process has developed with Courtney Morgan, Alabama's general manager, and how difficult it would be for Sharma to make the call to Morgan to tell Alabama "no thanks."

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nervous Winter Olympics GIF by Team USA

It's extremely unlikely that Texas lands both Ffrench and Lockett. Ketchum is an idiot throwing shit at the wall, again.

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Perhaps. But it does say he didn't lock them down.

Over the past three days, I must have heard a half-dozen times that Sharma's strongest connection through the recruiting process has developed with Courtney Morgan, Alabama's general manager, and how difficult it would be for Sharma to make the call to Morgan to tell Alabama "no thanks."

Courtney Morgan is the best player relations guy in college football, by some accounts. Meanwhile, we have someone very, very unimpressive matching up against him in Brandon Harris.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile, we have someone very, very unimpressive matching up against him in Brandon Harris.

Can you add any color to this comment?  

I know very little about either of them, or that position in general, so what is the difference between them?   What makes Courtney so much better in your opinion?

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Can you add any color to this comment?  

I know very little about either of them, or that position in general, so what is the difference between them?   What makes Courtney so much better in your opinion?

I think CTJ worked closely with Billy Glasscock who was very helpful in the NIL arena and in identifying prospects and in roster development/analysis. When he was poached by Ole Miss, he was replaced by Brandon Harris who is not great at managing the process and is not really a GM but acts more as just an assistant to the coaching staff.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's extremely unlikely that Texas lands both Ffrench and Lockett. Ketchum is an idiot throwing shit at the wall, again.

Courtney Morgan is the best player relations guy in college football, by some accounts. Meanwhile, we have someone very, very unimpressive matching up against him in Brandon Harris.

Disagree with you re: Brandon Harris. If you speak to him personally or watch him speak publicly at a gathering, Brandon Harris is a very impressive young man. The key there is that he's young. He's only 28. Courtney Morgan is 43.  It's going to take Brandon a bit of time to build an interpersonal network like the one that Morgan has.    Brandon became Director of Recruiting at Texas when he was 25 and his two recruiting classes finished with the third highest composite, the fourth highest composite and got 8 five star commits.   In Feb., when he got promoted, Sark called him a rock star.  I agree. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Hey @Red Five, you're about 12 hours too late on your prediction.

This is the last I'll say on the topic because I don't want to belabor the point or hijack the thread, but I was clearly being facetious comparing our DL to Texas State. However, I think it's entirely reasonable to (a) question Sark's commitment to defensive line recruiting relative to the efforts he spends on other positions, (b) question the merit of his approach to roster building with respect to the defensive line and (c) question whether Kenny Baker was the right hire for the right time. I'm of the opinion that having a DL like we had last year is incredibly important and that we should be allocating resources to recreate that, even if it's at expense of premium players at other positions. I also think Kenny Baker could end up being a tremendous coach, but the only real data points we have right now are him not landing the premium DT targets out of the portal or in high school. You can rightly say that happened because of his lack of college recruiting contacts/built in relationships and track record, but those are all things Sark knew when he was hired. Not in any way saying I don't think Sark is up for the job, but if you aren't concerned about our DL room and/or don't want to place any blame on the coaching staff you have your head in the clouds. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Disagree with you re: Brandon Harris. If you speak to him personally or watch him speak publicly at a gathering, Brandon Harris is a very impressive young man. The key there is that he's young. He's only 28. Courtney Morgan is 43.  It's going to take Brandon a bit of time to build an interpersonal network like the one that Morgan has.    Brandon became Director of Recruiting at Texas when he was 25 and his two recruiting classes finished with the third highest composite, the fourth highest composite and got 8 five star commits.   In Feb., when he got promoted, Sark called him a rock star.  I agree. 

I hope you read the highlighted a loud in front of a mirror, you make confirm ctj's point. Although you find him "impressive", perhaps those we need him to connect with don't. I dunno but not everyone develops into ace recruiters regardless of title or with age.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Interesting take regarding the remaining targets. 

If Hilson and Wynn are indeed solid to FSU does the room start looking crowded for Charles? Can Texas sell him on that?

They somehow have kept Brown committed through all this. Can they keep him in?

Sanders looks good right now. Lock him in, find a way to get Charles from FSU, and convert 1 of Sharma, Zion, or a mystery target that hasn't materialized yet and it's a strong class. 

It's way too early to worry about a class in June. Especially this staff that loves flipping a few dudes late. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If Hilson and Wynn are indeed solid to FSU does the room start looking crowded for Charles? Can Texas sell him on that?

Sanders looks good right now. Lock him in, find a way to get Charles from FSU, and convert 1 of Sharma, Zion, or a mystery target that hasn't materialized yet and it's a strong class. 

It's way too early to worry about a class in June. Especially this staff that loves flipping a few dudes late. 

Well, FSU won't implode. They aren't very good but they have one of the easiest schedules that I've seen.

That's what otf has been saying. At this point I'd consider us of good fortune if we hold onto Brown. They've been saying since his OV that a few close to him(Mom) wants him with Bo and ou coach made enough of a dent to get OV. Sounds like we can get Sanders. Charles sure sounds like a coin toss. I've not allowed myself to consider Sharma as a real possibility. Zion seems like a loss. I hope we again portal a few grown ass 24 year olds.

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What is better? Being young and impressive? Or being *checks note* 15 years older and know what the fuck you're doing?

To me the latter seems more important, especially at a school like Texas.

Well, he's only had his job since February. What leads you to conclude that he doesn't know what he's doing? 

In my opinion, being that we're only four months in, the jury's still out on him being the general manager, but I was pretty happy with the two recruiting classes that Texas brought in when he was director of recruiting.  Were you displeased with his performance? 

I was speaking more to CTJ's point that Brandon is "very, very unimpressive."   I didn't find him to be that at all and Sark apparently doesn't, either.  You apparently do and that's fine. We can agree to disagree. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

49 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

This is the last I'll say on the topic because I don't want to belabor the point or hijack the thread, but I was clearly being facetious comparing our DL to Texas State. However, I think it's entirely reasonable to (a) question Sark's commitment to defensive line recruiting relative to the efforts he spends on other positions, (b) question the merit of his approach to roster building with respect to the defensive line and (c) question whether Kenny Baker was the right hire for the right time. I'm of the opinion that having a DL like we had last year is incredibly important and that we should be allocating resources to recreate that, even if it's at expense of premium players at other positions. I also think Kenny Baker could end up being a tremendous coach, but the only real data points we have right now are him not landing the premium DT targets out of the portal or in high school. You can rightly say that happened because of his lack of college recruiting contacts/built in relationships and track record, but those are all things Sark knew when he was hired. Not in any way saying I don't think Sark is up for the job, but if you aren't concerned about our DL room and/or don't want to place any blame on the coaching staff you have your head in the clouds. 

Kenny Baker was also just hired 6 months ago, so he doesn't have the relationships built in with these recruits yet. I think he'll be good in time, but it takes more than 6 months to build a relationship with a kid. 

His data points will come when we see what he can do with this line this season. If he can do wonders with them he can make a selling point to the next class. Right now, it's hard to blame a guy who just got there. 

But on the other hand, Sark's inability to distribute NIL to the DL is concerning. I understand he's an offensive guy, but he's coached in the SEC, so it's not like this is a foreign concept to him. He just drops money on WRs and offense in general. It's becoming absurd. We do have some unproven, yet talented young guys, but we need more. We have January, Hills, Bryant, and Mitchell (I may be missing 1 or 2), and then we have transfer upperclassmen portal guys in Norton and Savea, and guys that dipshit Herman recruited (albeit a talented but hasn't reached his ceiling) with Collins, and Broughton is who he is at this point. Maybe Baker can make him more than serviceable, I dunno. 

Dominic Williams was a lost cause from the beginning since ou lured him to the portal. We fucked up with Toia, and we didn't even bother with the Michigan State guys. Fucking retarded, man.