Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

5 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

He could be as good as Broughton in 5 years

Seems that way.

Although just wishcasting, the staff could have a point. We like to rotate defensive line and finding 4 high school guys each year isn't possible without paying a shitload of money and neglecting other positions. We originally brought in guys like Swanson who needed development and by the time they started to put on enough weight (got to the talent level needed), they transferred. Maybe the staff just wants to focus on a couple of players and then fill up with the best available without breaking the bank. So we end up with the two best guys the staff can get and then some fluff. Then, each year we get rid of our own fluff and bring in guys like Swanson after they have begun to develop. Probably not true, but at least it sounds somewhat reasonable right up to the point of getting all fluff and no big time studs at DT.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Seems that way.

Although just wishcasting, the staff could have a point. We like to rotate defensive line and finding 4 high school guys each year isn't possible without paying a shitload of money and neglecting other positions. We originally brought in guys like Swanson who needed development and by the time they started to put on enough weight (got to the talent level needed), they transferred. Maybe the staff just wants to focus on a couple of players and then fill up with the best available without breaking the bank. So we end up with the two best guys the staff can get and then some fluff. Then, each year we get rid of our own fluff and bring in guys like Swanson after they have begun to develop. Probably not true, but at least it sounds somewhat reasonable right up to the point of getting all fluff and no big time studs at DT.

Jimbo would not approve, and I’m ok with it. 

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Although just wishcasting, the staff could have a point.

At risk of gouging my own eyes out with a spoon, I was curious who the DLs were that actually logged snaps in Sark's last year at Alabama when they won the national championship. This list includes NT/DT/SDE as their front is similar to ours.

• D.J. Dale - 4* (91), 12 games as a sophomore , then: UDFA
  • Tim Smith - 5* (98), 8 games as a Freshman, now: 5th year Sr, projected starter
  • Justin Eboigbe - 4* (95) - 12 games as a sophomore, then: 4th rd
  • Christian Barmore - 4* (92) - 12 games as a sophomore, then: 2nd rd
  • Phidarian Mathis - 4* (92) - 12 games as a junior, then: 2nd rd

There's a case to be made (I'm not making it) that Sark intentionally deprioritizes DT because he watched a group of low 4*s + Tim get developed into a national champion DL and draftable NFL prospects. 

I think that's the wrong takeaway, but it's not a wild notion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

At risk of gouging my own eyes out with a spoon, I was curious who the DLs were that actually logged snaps in Sark's last year at Alabama when they won the national championship. This list includes NT/DT/SDE as their front is similar to ours.

• Tim Smith - 5* (98), 8 games as a Freshman, now: 5th year Sr, projected starter

There's a case to be made (I'm not making it) that Sark intentionally deprioritizes DT because he watched a group of low 4*s + Tim get developed into a national champion DL and draftable NFL prospects. 

I believe the prioritization of offense over defense under Sark and especially at DT. I also think it is a bit of a mixture of events. 1 DT in 2021 on coaching change, thank God that one was Murphy (cant remember if that was Giles or Hagen). 

2022: Ross, Bledsoe, Bryant, and Swanson. Bledsoe extremely talented, but came in very raw with an expected long developmental curve

2023: Mitchell. 

2024: Sark wanted to loaded up, but Bo leaves and it is only January and Hills. 

Needed to load up this year and have a new position coach. With most recruits signing over the summer now, Baker was in the tough position of having 6 months to build relationships and sign kids. On numbers alone it has put a lot of pressure on Baker to develop at a high rate. Hopefully, he Nansen hire was Sark realizing that he needed to up the recruiting game among the defensive coaches. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I believe the prioritization of offense over defense under Sark and especially at DT. I also think it is a bit of a mixture of events. 1 DT in 2021 on coaching change, thank God that one was Murphy (cant remember if that was Giles or Hagen). 

2022: Ross, Bledsoe, Bryant, and Swanson. Bledsoe extremely talented, but came in very raw with an expected long developmental curve

Needed to load up this year and have a new position coach. On numbers alone it has put a lot of pressure on Baker to develop at a high rate. Hopefully, he Nansen hire was Sark realizing that he needed to up the recruiting game among the defensive coaches. 

Portal transfers will help with depth. You can find solid rotational guys for a reasonable price. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It probably helped to have one of the best defensive minds of all time overseeing their development, fwiw. 

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Vogel said an hour ago that Texas leads heading into the Sharma announcement on Friday. Gerry said Alabama still feeling confident and to gird our loins, i.e. Sharma hasn't told them no as of this morning.

So I guess it's the same as OTF has been saying. Texas feels its the leader but it's gonna take Sharma telling Courtney and Deboer no. That didn't go well for us with Greathouse and ND.

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

Seems that way.

Swanson transferred because he still wasn’t good enough to play much. You can’t fill up on bread that never pans out. Sark is staying true to form by staying on the guys he wants and not settling, we’ll see how it turns out. I expect him and staff to keep hanging around the guys he misses on to see if he can get a late flip based on a successful season and possibly a disastrous one by someone else.

14 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Swanson transferred because he still wasn’t good enough to play much. You can’t fill up on bread that never pans out. Sark is staying true to form by staying on the guys he wants and not settling, we’ll see how it turns out. I expect him and staff to keep hanging around the guys he misses on to see if he can get a late flip based on a successful season and possibly a disastrous one by someone else.

Swanson wasn’t good enough yet.  But that doesn’t mean that he couldn’t get playing time next year. Mainly he just needs to add good weight.

FSU has one of the easiest schedules that I’ve ever seen. They aren’t going to have a disastrous season no matter how much they suck.

Edited by Bevo

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

So I guess it's the same as OTF has been saying. Texas feels it’s the leader but it's gonna take Sharma telling Courtney and Deboer no. That didn't go well for us with Greathouse and ND.

I’m betting on Bama. All things equal, he goes to Bama. I haven’t heard of a request to make things unequal in Texas’ favor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m betting on Bama. All things equal, he goes to Bama. I haven’t heard of a request to make things unequal in Texas’ favor. 

Don't know where he'll sign, but every time I see his name I get hungry for shwarma...  in fact, think I'll hit TX Shwarma on the way home from the gym today.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Swanson wasn’t good enough yet.  But that doesn’t mean that he couldn’t get playing time next year. Mainly he just needs to add good weight.

FSU has one of the easiest schedules that I’ve ever seen. They aren’t going to have a disastrous season no matter how much they suck.

I'm not saying it's a world beater, but they play SMU, Clemson, Duke, Miami, North Carolina and Notre Dame in consecutive weeks. They've been recriting will, but Jordan Travis isn't walking through that door either, and we saw what they looked like without him on offense. They also play Florida to close the year. It won't be disasterous, but I could easily see 2, maybe even 3 losses in there. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not saying it's a world beater, but they play SMU, Clemson, Duke, Miami, North Carolina and Notre Dame in consecutive weeks. They've been recriting will, but Jordan Travis isn't walking through that door either, and we saw what they looked like without him on offense. They also play Florida to close the year. It won't be disasterous, but I could easily see 2, maybe even 3 losses in there. 

Yeah, I think 3 losses are possible, but it is hard to see any more than that. And recruits aren't going to switch from FSU if they lose 3.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I think 3 losses are possible, but it is hard to see any more than that. And recruits aren't going to switch from FSU if they lose 3.

If they lose 2-3, and somehow don't make the playoffs becuase they don't win the ACC, meanwhile Texas does make the playoffs...yeah they might. 

16 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

Who was the one guy that went back and forth a couple times? Would perennially change sides. 

14 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Jake Raulerson, Jake McMillon, and Tope Imade all did. However, I think the two Jakes switched more. 

Caleb Bluiett is another guy but he wasn't constantly switching sides, iirc. Plus, he proved to be fairly decent (at blocking, at least) once the switch to TE became his permanent position. 

Wasn't Andrew Beck initially a LB as well? Can't remember...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Caleb Bluiett is another guy but he wasn't constantly switching sides, iirc. Plus, he proved to be fairly decent (at blocking, at least) once the switch to TE became his permanent position. 

Wasn't Andrew Beck initially a LB as well? Can't remember...

Sawyer Goram-Welch bounced a bunch as well

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If they lose 2-3, and somehow don't make the playoffs becuase they don't win the ACC, meanwhile Texas does make the playoffs...yeah they might. 

I expect DJ Vowels to keep both teams in every game FSU plays. He’s the ACC Adrian Martinez.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Needed to load up this year and have a new position coach. With most recruits signing over the summer now, Baker was in the tough position of having 6 months to build relationships and sign kids. On numbers alone it has put a lot of pressure on Baker to develop at a high rate. Hopefully, he Nansen hire was Sark realizing that he needed to up the recruiting game among the defensive coaches. 

What was the deal in 2023? Did we just whiff on our top targets. Who else were we going at? 

Edited by Hornmatic

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Think he could be a solid 3-4 end in the big12. 

@texifornia

Texas hires Texas A&M's Jim Schlossnagle: How does this affect nation's No. 7 prospect Jonah Williams?

Hank South (Horns 247)

"That would be pretty crazy," Williams told Horns247. "It would definitely move Texas up."

Spoiler

Texas hires Texas A&M's Jim Schlossnagle: How does this affect nation's No. 7 prospect Jonah Williams?

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas baseball has found its new head coach in Texas A&M's Jim Schlossnagle, as first-reported by Horns247's Chip Brown. He will take over after three seasons in College Station and a berth in the national championship series against Tennessee this summer.

Rumors have been swirling about the potential move since Texas relieved David Pierce of his duties after eight seasons in Austin on Monday.

Now Schlossnagle will turn to roster management ahead of Texas' first season in the SEC. One big-name recruit in both football and baseball for the class of 2025 is Jonah Williams. The five-star linebacker/safety was already a top target of both Texas' and Texas A&M's before the coaching change, and you can bet that will continue to be the case going forward.

With Texas A&M currently trending on the Crystal Ball for Williams — a recruit that is heavily taking baseball into consideration for his college decision — Horns247 reached out to the Galveston Ball product to get his thoughts ahead of the news as to what that change could mean for his recruitment.

"That would be pretty crazy," Williams told Horns247. "It would definitely move Texas up."

What does the in-state standout like about the new Texas head coach?

"Just his coaching style, he's really aggressive," Williams said.

Williams says he remains in steady contact with UT safeties coach Blake Gideon, his primary recruiter. Texas was not on the summer schedule for official visits, and Williams says he doesn't plan on taking an official visit to Austin this fall, at least at this point. He intends to make a summer decision.

"Just the Texas culture," he said of the football program and what keeps it in contention. "It's right up the road."

Williams last visited Austin April 6 for the Longhorns City Limits event.

The 6-foot-3, 203-pounder ranks as the No. 1 linebacker and the No. 7 overall player in the country, per 247Sports.

He projects as a safety when it comes to Texas' evaluation.

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m very surprised Alabama seems to be still recruiting at a very high level. I would have thought we’d see a drop off. 

Why?  I mean I get that Saban is gone, but it's not like DeBoer is some scrub.  He's won everywhere he's been, and just coached in the NC game in January.

Unfortunately Alabama is still going to be very good.