Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Why?  I mean I get that Saban is gone, but it's not like DeBoer is some scrub.  He's won everywhere he's been, and just coached in the NC game in January.

Unfortunately Alabama is still going to be very good.

He's been a bad recruiter historically but looks like he balanced that out with a good staff and the Bama brand so far

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's been a bad recruiter historically but looks like he balanced that out with a good staff and the Bama brand so far

I don't know where this take of him being a bad recruiter comes from. He's been a good recruiter and even better evaluator. He's elevated the talent everywhere he has been and Alabama hasn't dropped at all since he took over.

• Like 2

Bama is doing fine so far. They don’t have what they need in NIL to manage their whole roster and the Saban discount is gone. It will be interesting to see how that plays out through the rest of this recruiting cycle. 

Townsend and the Levantine sandwich will validate this shortly. I can just feel it and stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bama is doing fine so far. They don’t have what they need in NIL to manage their whole roster and the Saban discount is gone. It will be interesting to see how that plays out through the rest of this recruiting cycle. 

Townsend and the Levantine sandwich will validate this shortly. I can just feel it and stuff. 

You see us losing a decent number of important recruits lately. What do you think needs to change? 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've said all along that this is likely a top 5 class. I just referenced two guys that I think Texas is about to get who help fulfill that prophecy. I've pushed and been pushed back on regarding the approach at DT, but have zero other complaints. Also, there's a really good chance that Sarkisian has actually gotten religion on NIL focus for DT. If that's so, Kenny Baker is going to look like a wizard and a bunch of folks are going to declare victory on his sheer recruiting prowess.

I don't think much else needed to change. Texas is going to have to pass on a number of recruits because they like other guys better and there's only so much space. That is true this cycle with LB, DE, WR, OG, OT and TE, at least. The board should be careful how it interprets decisions of some of these guys. 

WR is a good example of my point. Ffrench isn't announcing soon. Johnson and Lockett are. The gamble may well be, and looks to be, to let Lockett make whatever choice he needs to make without a further push. There's also a ceiling for how far Texas will go for Johnson. They're not guaranteeing him or anyone else playing time. Texas is all in on 2 5 stars for good reason and will see where the chips fall for the 3rd guy.

Thanks. I know I should know the reference, but who is the Levantine sandwich, Sharma? That would be great news.

Couple of notes:

1)  Aidan Anding, per 247's Stampede update a couple of days ago, was expected to announce sometime between "now and July 1."  Vogel tweeted (today) how today should be a good day too, and I thought I saw something else along similar lines from him or one of the other OTF guys yesterday (about today). It's possible it was baseball related - transfers? - but if it's football, could it be Anding ending his recruitment? 

Also, they just visited Dekaney HS, but Townsend and Hines are announcing July 10th.

2) Josiah Sharma's announcement deets - 

- Friday at 2 pm CT between Texas, Oregon, Bama and Washington.

- On 247Sports' Youtube channel.

Edit - adding the tweet/link ... 

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 9

Honestly I don't know if this belongs in this thread or the 9.95er thread to laugh at him, but Ears is back on his bullshit of saying absolutely nothing of value

Checking the pulse on Texas prospects following official visits

— Five-star Duncanville (Texas) wide receiver Dakorien Moore concluded his official visit tour with a trip to Oregon. The nation's No. 1 prospect is one of the highest-ranked players in the country that's not currently committed. Texas has been looked at as the favorite since Moore decommitted from LSU in May, but sources near the elite playmakerhave stressed that he is taking his time with the decision and there are no favorites at the moment. Ohio State, Texas and Oregon all made strong pitches while LSU was able to get back into the picture following a return trip to Baton Rouge. If Moore is leaning a certain way, he's doing strong job of not tipping his hand at the moment.

— Five-star Sachse (Texas) wide receiver Kaliq Lockett concluded his visit schedule with a trip to Texas. The Longhorns have been considered a front runner for him, while Alabama made a strong push in the last few weeks. The Crimson Tide weren't originally among his top schools, but they were able to get Lockett in for an official visit during the last week. Sources raved about the trip to Tuscaloosa and the job Kalen DeBoer's staff did to close the gap with other programs, but a decision isn't expected anytime in the coming weeks. LSU, Texas A&M and Florida State are also in the mix and all have enjoyed their time as a front runner in the recruitment.

— San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights ATH Michael Terry III is in demand from several top programs, and he made visits to Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon. Sources near Terry have been adamant that he's treating the process with an open mind right now and will start sorting through his options during the dead period. Oregon has been a team talked about around college circles, but a source near Terry told us not to count out Nebraska. Will Terry stay close to home, or could his future lie in the Big 10?

— Five-star Lewisville (Texas) offensive tackle Michael Fasusi is one of the more prized options in the country, and he's made trips to Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Missouri. Though the Ducks and Tigers are seen as credible threats, a source we spoke with feel that the trio of Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are in the best positions at the moment. A separate source believes it will come down to a Red River battle between Texas and Oklahoma, but they didn't discount the Aggies totally. Texas is making Fasusi the top priority on their offensive line board, while Oklahoma offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh is held in high regard by Fasusi and his family.

— Texas has been pegged as the leader for Top247 McKinney (Texas) linebacker Riley Pettijohn, but sources we spoke with in the past week have been more bullish on Ohio State and USC. The Buckeyes have been the team with the most buzz behind the scenes for the productive 'backer, and the talk has been so effusive I've been close to changing my 247Sports Crystal Ball. Pettijohn finished his summer visit schedule with a trip to Texas A&M, but right now it sounds like he's likely headed outside of state lines.

— Michigan has been in the mix for Top247 Fulshear (Texas) Katy Jordan wide receiver Andrew Marsh, but the Wolverines made a big jump following his official visit to Ann Arbor. Kentucky, Texas, USC and Washington remain in contention for the lanky playmaker, but Michigan seems like the hot team at the moment. Marsh doesn't have a decision date set, and he could carry his timeline into the fall.

— Top247 Mesquite (Texas) Horn offensive tackle Lamont Rogers hasn't given many indications of where he's leaning, and his future remains a mystery even to those closest to him. Texas, Missouri, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Florida State are the programs under consideration, but sources near Rogers have conceded that they aren't sure what he's thinking. While Missouri and Florida State both impressed him, those familiar with Rogers expect him to stay closer to home. This could be another Red River battle as one source guessed it would come down to Oklahoma or Texas, though Texas A&M is a legitimate contender as well.

— Top247 Spring (Texas) Dekaney ATH Nick Townsend favored Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama throughout the process, but a clear leader has yet to emerge. During the spring, a source near Townsend felt that Alabama would be the team that could eventually win out, but sources we spoke with this week feel that the Longhorns might be in the best position following Townsend's round of official visits.

— Sources tell 247Sports that Top247 Hitchcock (Texas) ATH Kelshaun Johnson could be closing in on a decision, and Texas A&M appears to be the favorite at the moment. My prediction is already on the Aggies while Texas, Texas Tech, Arkansas and USC remain in contention.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to have to pass on a number of recruits because they like other guys better and there's only so much space. That is true this cycle with LB, DE, WR, OG, OT and TE, at least. The board should be careful how it interprets decisions of some of these guys. 

If this includes passing on Pettijohn in favor of Faraimo, I might stroke out. 

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If this includes passing on Pettijohn in favor of Faraimo, I might stroke out. 

That brings up another point which is that some guys are legitimately looking at the depth chart and saying “I may not play for two years?” and weaker rostered teams are hammering that as well. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That brings up another point which is that some guys are legitimately looking at the depth chart and saying “I may not play for two years?” and weaker rostered teams are hammering that as well. 

Seems like we're currently in a weird spot between "come here and play early, our roster is shit because we have 2x WR to OL rostered" and the ol Nick Saban, "come play here to play with and against the best." I trust Sark to navigate it but I get some recruits apprehension.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry for needing it in plain English. I'm a bit dense sometimes. Based on this statement it seems like you don't expect Sharmas announcement on Friday to be for Alabama anymore? Tracks a bit with Sark seeing religion on NIL for DT. Thanks for anything else you can add, I'll hang up and listen now.

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Kenny Baker, superstar recruiter on the way!

In all seriousness, he is going to need NIL help with this class but the kids on campus like him and think he is really good at teaching pass rush. They think they have some guys who are going to break out. They also think they will have better sack totals due some changes in scheme from Nansen. 

A few people think Baker is an active recruiter, he just doesn’t have shit to sell right now. Bo was the opposite. Didn’t love recruiting but had a resume to sell. 

I want to see more hits on the QB from our guys...obviously sacks but yeah punish opposing QBs

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

In all seriousness, he is going to need NIL help with this class but the kids on campus like him and think he is really good at teaching pass rush. They think they have some guys who are going to break out. They also think they will have better sack totals due some changes in scheme from Nansen. 

A few people think Baker is an active recruiter, he just doesn’t have shit to sell right now. Bo was the opposite. Didn’t love recruiting but had a resume to sell. 

Thanks. My biggest question on defense this year is how much of Nansen's Arizona defense will show up on the field in 2024. That seems like an indication that he is influencing PK (who has always been flexible). 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@Hookem2147 any word on how this affects our 2024 recruits who are thinking about entering the draft vs coming to Texas? Interested to see how 2025 recruiting board looks with new staff.

Are you referring to baseball with the Schloss hire? If so i was just on that thread and someone is inquiring as well, could be some replies by now.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Gerry did a yes/maybe/no and now has Pettiijohn and Fasusi in the "maybe" category.

He did have Myron Charles, Sharma, Orogbo, and Nick Brooks in the "yes" category, so who knows.

Losing Pettijohn and Fasusi would stink.

Would suck, but missing on Charles and Sharma would be much worse. OL is arguably the most solid position group on  the team (though always need OTs). Imagine saying that 3-4 years ago. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want to see more hits on the QB from our guys...obviously sacks but yeah punish opposing QBs

An unfortunate change with football is you basically can't hit the QB anymore unless you are sacking/tackling him. Even then, it must be done in conjunction with the new rules. I agree with your desire, though.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

An unfortunate change with football is you basically can't hit the QB anymore unless you are sacking/tackling him. Even then, it must be done in conjunction with the new rules. I agree with your desire, though.

You can, did you not see what Michigan did to Penix? 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't read into Texas not getting those guys because they've been moved to "maybe".

Regarding Petitjohn, it looks like it comes down to whether or not Texas feels like they've flipped Faraimo. If they don't see it, they will likely make a major push to close Petitjohn. Might be wrong, but it's reading like that, and that Ohio State has made a big push for Petitjohn and that entails having to step up on NIL to get him. 

On Fasusi, he's the OT version of Dominick McKinley from a "does he love football" end of things. OU's hosts took him out at night and did some wild shit and that has him enamored. Texas wants the dude regardless and there is UT support in his camp. 

I think landing Brooks is a big fucking deal if they do that, and that would offset a Fasusi loss. You'd like to have both, no doubt. Fasusi is good enough to still wind up in the NFL even if he's got higher priorities than pancaking DEs. 

I think the Rogers recruitment gets really interesting if Fasusi really starts trending away from Texas. 

Another thing that can soften the blow of missing on Fasusi would be landing Turntine in the '26 class, who is a better prospect than Fasusi imo. Getting Fasusi would be an easy thing for other schools to point to and tell Turntine his path to playing at LT is a lot tougher at Texas with Fasusi ahead of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems that Pettijohn has been trending away from us for a couple weeks now. Fasusi surprises me, though. We ought to be taking one sure-fire LT prospect in every class, and it's clear that he's the priority. Brooks could be the backup plan but everyone nationally wants him. Hence CTJ's mention of Rogers, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

According to Gerry the best OT in Texas is 2026 Turntine. Gerry has also said that getting Fausi would make recruiting Turntine a little more difficult. Personally, I hope we sign both of them.

6 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Another thing that can soften the blow of missing on Fasusi would be landing Turntine in the '26 class, who is a better prospect than Fasusi imo. Getting Fasusi would be an easy thing for other schools to point to and tell Turntine his path to playing at LT is a lot tougher at Texas with Fasusi ahead of him.

Not calling y'all out for this - I get it. But for the record I hate this line of reasoning. Bird in the hand and all that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Seems that Pettijohn has been trending away from us for a couple weeks now. Fasusi surprises me, though. We ought to be taking one sure-fire LT prospect in every class, and it's clear that he's the priority. Brooks could be the backup plan but everyone nationally wants him. Hence CTJ's mention of Rogers, I suppose.

Not calling y'all out for this - I get it. But for the record I hate this line of reasoning. Bird in the hand and all that.

Fasusi is not a "sure-fire LT" though. He could end up being great but he's not Kelvin or Turntine coming out of HS.

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Not getting one of Fasusi/Haywood/Rogers would be a disappointment.

Going to need at least two of Mills/Christian/Coleman duo to pan out on this OL haul after only taking three last class.  Baker and Cruz probably end up being multi-year starters.

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

just to piggyback on this a bit - being an effective recruiter obviously has many facets.  To the extent that one of those facets is the relational/personality piece, Baker is very well equipped.  Maybe not quite Tashard Choice level energy/charisma, but he will be very effective at that aspect of recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't read into Texas not getting those guys because they've been moved to "maybe".

Regarding Petitjohn, it looks like it comes down to whether or not Texas feels like they've flipped Faraimo. If they don't see it, they will likely make a major push to close Petitjohn. Might be wrong, but it's reading like that, and that Ohio State has made a big push for Petitjohn and that entails having to step up on NIL to get him. 

On Fasusi, he's the OT version of Dominick McKinley from a "does he love football" end of things. OU's hosts took him out at night and did some wild shit and that has him enamored. Texas wants the dude regardless and there is UT support in his camp. 

I think landing Brooks is a big fucking deal if they do that, and that would offset a Fasusi loss. You'd like to have both, no doubt. Fasusi is good enough to still wind up in the NFL even if he's got higher priorities than pancaking DEs. 

I think the Rogers recruitment gets really interesting if Fasusi really starts trending away from Texas. 

Petitjohn would be a weird fade at this point since Texas was on him so heavily through the Spring and Summer. Do they honestly like Faraimo that much more or would it just be allocation of resources related?

This is the first I have heard of Fasusi being potentially a football second guy. Granted I never knew much about the kid either way, but anyone that may or may not have gotten into blue mountain state levels of partying on a visit may not be the right guy. I think Brooks is the better prospect either way and would welcome that take over Fasusi if we can land him. I know it may be handwringing, but I would take John Turntine in 2026 over both of them. Maybe landing neither is a clearer path for him?  

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m very surprised Alabama seems to be still recruiting at a very high level. I would have thought we’d see a drop off. 

Why? Debore is a really, really good coach who has done more with less his entire career. Players and recruits know this. Now he's gonna get good/great players and continue the train. He won't be Saban level great, but no one will be. But he'll be a pain in the ass to recruit against. 

I was really hoping Justice Haynes would hit the portal, but he's gonna be a dude for them this coming season. 

I believe it was Gerry the other day who said aggy didn't do enough to feel good about him and that Texas has the lead. Let him go the Ant Hill route and just rush the passer to get him on the field. He's a guy who can make a difference. He's on not Hill, but who is? He is, however, good enough to let him loose like that. 

I would be very sad if we took Madden over Pettijohn. He and Barnes together would be freakish. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Gang - notes from this afternoon's Gerry/Vogel OTF stream;  mainly schedule/upcoming announcements, plus some takes on where we sit.

***************************************************************************************************

JUNE 26th AFTERNOON OTF STREAM (Gerry/Vogel)

JUNE 29
Josiah Sharma
Dijon Lee

THIS WEEKEND (JUNE 29th/June 30th/July 1st)
Aidan Anding
Nathan Tilmon?

JULY 1st
Smith-Orogbo

JULY 2nd
Marco Jones

JULY 4th/6th
Kade Phillips

AUGUST 7th
Kaliq Lockett (first off the board of Big 3;  Moore late July/early Aug; Ffrench late August 30th?; Texas feels really good about Moore and Ffrench;  
Will Lockett go to Texas, if the other two pick Texas?

JULY 10th (or 8th?)
Nick Townsend (trending favorably to Texas - Jeff Banks pitch - see JT Sanders w/ more speed) 
Bama, Aggie, USC the other three teams.  Bama was team to watch.  USC visit - only tight end on campus, said they were only recruiting him at TE;  Vogel - thinks Texas has a slight edge
Tynook Hines (likely ND over USC, not Texas)
Kelshaun Johnson likely Aggie; Texas may not make big push on Hines/Johnson

OL DECISIONS
Lamont Rogers - mid July - Wild card; could be first to make decision
Nick Brooks - could be mid Sep; Texas may have most confidence in Brooks, then Fasusi, then Rogers
Fasusi - August 22nd/23rd

DEFENSIVE LINE / EDGE
Josiah Sharma - June 29th - Texas/Ala
Myron Charles/Brown/DJ Sanders - mid July;  good shape for Sanders
Smith-Orogbo / Marco Jones / July 1st2nd
USC lost multiple DLs to decommits - how does that change things
Hold on to Brown, get Sharma or Charles, plus Sanders - good class;  get all, we would be elated

OTHERS LIKELY IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS
DJ Sanders
Brandon Brown
Myron Charles
Riley Pettijohn (potentially)
Madden Faraimo (potentially)
Dorian Brew (potentially)

Thank you for summarizing the streams.  Definitely appreciated!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1