Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun

texifornia

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

One of the backup guys we didn’t really bother to recruit much, Chace Simms, just committed to aggy.

Yep, he's a guy we probably could have got with a bit of a push.  Looking at the DT offer board, really nobody left available that's uncommitted they we've either heard about or visited.  

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The only DL commit we are going to have going into the season will be DJ Sanders.

People have to start learning the difference between DL and DT.  We run a 4-2-5. Both DT and DE/edge are DL. We have 3 DL commits in a class of 13 commits right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God damn. Oregon really fucking our state right now. Usually I hope for aggy and ou to fail, but I've never wanted someone to fail more than Dan Lanning this season. 

1 commitment from a kid from Texas and that’s from a kid who moved here less than a year ago. I wouldn’t consider that a cause for concern. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, utfan87 said:

1 commitment from a kid from Texas and that’s from a kid who moved here less than a year ago. I wouldn’t consider that a cause for concern. 

I was lumping in Sharma because Gerry gave me hope and I wanted him to see badly be in the fold. But yeah, you're right, tho. Still sucks that those dipshits are recruiting lights out right now. 

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe I'll end up being dead wrong but I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze with Jonah Williams. From his position to is he even going to play football or does he like baseball more?

Yeah, based on comments from CTJ, it didn't sound like Texas really wanted him, so I doubt there are many tears being shed in Belmont.

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, based on comments from CTJ, it didn't sound like Texas really wanted him, so I doubt there are many tears being shed in Belmont.

Yeah, let that guy go to Oregon. 

Regarding Chase Sims, the decision makers didn’t want him in during the summer visits. Now they’re unlikely to get a visit at all. This shit is getting sadly hilarious. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

Scipio Tex had a good piece on players growing into DT’s while at Texas. It’s worth a read, but long story short, most high school DE’s should be carrying enough weight as college upperclassmen to play inside. Just get good players with big frames and we’ll be fine. 

I’m openly rooting for Jonah Williams to take a bag from Oregon and then take a bigger bag from a MLB team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God damn. Oregon really fucking our state right now. Usually I hope for aggy and ou to fail, but I've never wanted someone to fail more than Dan Lanning this season. 

Oregon’s always gotten some guys from Texas to go up there. LaMichael James, Darron Thomas, Bralon Addison

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Scipio Tex had a good piece on players growing into DT’s while at Texas. It’s worth a read, but long story short, most high school DE’s should be carrying enough weight as college upperclassmen to play inside. Just get good players with big frames and we’ll be fine. 

I’m openly rooting for Jonah Williams to take a bag from Oregon and then take a bigger bag from a MLB team. 

Yeah let’s just hope players grow into DTs.  Solid strategy 

21 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Screenshot_20240702_194008_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8bff64d447870f5cb81410ba3d15762a.jpg

He showed up at Texas and played tackle from day one, no? I thought he gained a lot of weight as a senior. 

16 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Marcus Tubbs

I went to high school with him. He played RB and TE at Desoto. Don’t know how I forgot about him. 

Edited by Newy25

Jesus fuck, there's plenty of examples of high schoolers growing into monster DTs in college. For shits and giggles lets look at the heights/weights as recruits of the Round 1 and 2 DTs drafted this year:

Byron Murphy, 6-1 290 (0.8904 composite)

Ruke Orhorhoro, 6-4 271 (0.8707)

Jer'zhan Newton 6-3 255 (0.8556)

T'vondre Sweat 6-3 249 (0.8774)

Braden Fiske 6-3 240 (0.8299) [OG lulz, maybe one of the Colemans should move to DL]

Maason Smith 6-5 316 (0.9897) 

Kris Jenkins 6-4 239 (0.8815) 

Michael Hall Jr. 6-3 290 (0.9742)

Sooooo the only DTs with prototypical size out of high school besides our guy Murphy were taken at the back of the 2nd round. Also note that those two guys were the only blue chip high school prospects in the group.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was trying to think of the players at Texas that did that. Whaley did that from running back (lol) and Lamar Houston grew into a tackle from end. Who else did that at Texas? 

Sweat was a DE as well. I wouldn’t recommend gaining 110 pounds + in 5 years though. 

Sweat was already up to 320 by the time his freshman season started. He was listed as an SDE in high school, but he was recruited with the intent of being a DT from the beginning.

As others have stated Henry Melton also made the rare transition from RB to DT. He was a RB on the national championship team, I still remember him bulldozing Louisiana-Lafayette players in the season opener.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He showed up at Texas and played tackle from day one, no? I thought he gained a lot of weight as a senior. 

I'm pretty sure Sweat was around 260ish as a senior. 

The whole "grow DTs" came out of a Scipio article on IT from a few days ago. He was talking about taking guys with the frame to add weight and the traits to play DT and using S&C to stack weight on them. 

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, statsman said:

Scipio referred back to a study that showed five star DTs have a low “panning out” rate, compared to many other positions (OL is even worse). Considering how expensive they are to sign, paying market rate while loading up on bodies is a questionable strategy. 

What’s the definition of panning out? What is source of study?

58 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Jesus fuck, there's plenty of examples of high schoolers growing into monster DTs in college. For shits and giggles lets look at the heights/weights as recruits of the Round 1 and 2 DTs drafted this year:

Byron Murphy, 6-1 290 (0.8904 composite)

Ruke Orhorhoro, 6-4 271 (0.8707)

Jer'zhan Newton 6-3 255 (0.8556)

T'vondre Sweat 6-3 249 (0.8774)

Braden Fiske 6-3 240 (0.8299) [OG lulz, maybe one of the Colemans should move to DL]

Maason Smith 6-5 316 (0.9897) 

Kris Jenkins 6-4 239 (0.8815) 

Michael Hall Jr. 6-3 290 (0.9742)

Sooooo the only DTs with prototypical size out of high school besides our guy Murphy were taken at the back of the 2nd round. Also note that those two guys were the only blue chip high school prospects in the group.

This is a good point, but my concern is we're not getting enough bites at the apple. We're pulling in 1-2 high school recruits per class, so we basically need all of them to hit. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I was trying to think of the players at Texas that did that. Whaley did that from running back (lol) and Lamar Houston grew into a tackle from end. Who else did that at Texas? 

IIRC People were saying the same things about Alfred Collins at this point of the recruiting cycle as they are now saying about Lance Jackson. I’ll bet money that Lance Will play inside before he’s done at Texas.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun