Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

I think it's better than the on3 ones.

similar to the 24/7 ones, but I think ours is cleaner. This is soft launched right now and I'm doing some production scale testing (why I'm cross embedding here) 

• Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, immamac said:

What do you guys think of these embeddable things from OTF? 

I think this would be a cool thing to use in commit threads.

Adding the Twitter/Instagram is a nice touch so that people can go follow if they want to.

Maybe just needs to add the player's recruit grade/position rank? I like the way 247 has that in theirs.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I think this would be a cool thing to use in commit threads.

Adding the Twitter/Instagram is a nice touch so that people can go follow if they want to.

Maybe just needs to add the player's recruit grade/position rank? I like the way 247 has that in theirs.

It has a state, composite and OTF rating. I don't wanna do all the rankings and everything in the widget that is ridiculous IMO

Just now, immamac said:

It has a state, composite and OTF rating. I don't wanna do all the rankings and everything in the widget that is ridiculous IMO

Agreed, I think having all of the rankings would clutter up what you're trying to do. But I agree with @BornOrange, I like having a national player rank and a position rank, maybe under "Status: Committed"?

I've never once seen anyone talk about or analyze the rankings as much as they care about the ratings (4/5 star etc) If you care about stack ranking that's a new one for me, outside of just glancing at it and knowing "lower number better haha"

Just now, Mr. Drummond said:

What is the plan for rankings?  We don't need an inflated rating just because he committed to the good guys.  

He is a 4 star and 13th ranked QB.   It should be accurate.   This isn't the looch 44

According to who? See this is why rankings are stupid. The aggregate national rating is just going to be the On3 number and the OTF one is Site Rating. Simple. Then you get the state rank, I can change that to national, but I don't want to have 50 rankings on this thing, they are nearly meaningless datapoints since the rating is a rating that is comparable through years not just this class. 

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

According to who? See this is why rankings are stupid. The aggregate national rating is just going to be the On3 number and the OTF one is Site Rating. Simple. Then you get the state rank, I can change that to national, but I don't want to have 50 rankings on this thing, they are nearly meaningless datapoints since the rating is a rating that is comparable through years not just this class. 

I agree with your take. Personally I would go with OTF Rating, composite national rank, composite position rank. And I would change "Site" to explicitly "OTF Rating"

Slightly off topic but related, and this isn't feedback for you specifically immamac, but I wish that OTF would take a different classification system than star ratings. I like their opinions on prospects, but I don't think a star rating from OTF adds much value when the other sites have a national team and rate every prospect, not just the ones Texas recruits. If they had a scale that read more like a big board I think that would be more useful: backup plan -> take -> priority -> must get, etc. It's a Texas-only site and info on where the prospect stands for the coaches would be great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't see a field to denote if CTJ considers them a JAG.

Is the national avg just pulling their composite from one of the other sites and ratings? 

yes it is. 

Just now, immamac said:

yes it is. 

I think I wouldn't include a state ranking. 

Just the OTF rankings with the national average. I don't really care about state rankings as we are recruiting more national. A Top 25 guy in the state of Texas who has offers from like Tech, Baylor, Houston, and SMU is irrelevent if we're after a guy ranked #9 in say Alabama who has offers from Georgia, Ohio St, Texas, Oklahoma.....

What's really important is what OTF rates/values player as star/score wise vs national average.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

If they had a scale that read more like a big board I think that would be more useful: backup plan -> take -> priority -> must get, etc. It's a Texas-only site and info on where the prospect stands for the coaches would be great. 

This is actually a great idea.

I'd like to see the on3 composite score, and I'd also be interested in a goldilocks read on the accuracy of the composite for that prospect. Overvalued/undervalued/just right. 

The number scores are at least informative. I think Gerry did a breakdown back on IT about the ranges like 88-91 is a p5 prospect, 92-94 is a p5 prospect with at least one exceptional attribute, etc. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Personally I would remove state rank and make it positional rank. State rank isn't very helpful and national ranking outside the top ~50 doesn't really tell you much. "We just landed a commitment from XYZ who is the 235th ranked player!" isn't as helpful as "We just landed a commitment from XYZ who is the 12th ranked OT" for example. So long as you are including the composite grade like you currently are you just don't really need to know (and shouldn't really care) where sites have specifically slotted them compared to players at other positions. 

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Personally I would remove state rank and make it positional rank. State rank isn't very helpful and national ranking outside the top ~50 doesn't really tell you much. "We just landed a commitment from XYZ who is the 235th ranked player!" isn't as helpful as "We just landed a commitment from XYZ who is the 12th ranked OT" for example. So long as you are including the composite grade like you currently are you just don't really need to know (and shouldn't really care) where sites have specifically slotted them compared to players at other positions. 

This. This. This. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

so we can have a surly troll version of this same database with whatever hilarious fields we want. I am prioritizing the OTF one since you know that's an actual subscription business. LOL

The Surly one should just replace the player grade with an image of either a chicken friend steak, a piece of bread or Charlie Strong's face depending on their quality. 

• Haha 2

Kelshaun Johnson update

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach has entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas A&M to land Hitchcock Top247 WR Kelshaun Johnson. 

On Hank and I’s end, in speaking with Johnson, those around him, and those at Texas coming out of the official visit to Texas this past weekend, the read we got was that Texas would end up winning the recruitment. In speaking with those close to Johnson today and in sharing intel with Mike, we now expect the decision to be Texas A&M. 

We’re holding off on changing our crystal ball predictions for now because things could still change, but, for now things are trending the Aggies’ way. It is very likely the predictions end up getting changed to being in favor of the Aggies between now and Johnson’s commitment date though. 

Far from good news, but with what Texas is expecting to land at the receiver position in 2025, this is the best case scenario for “missing” on a prospect. We still expect Dakorien Moore to end up in the class, one of Kaliq Lockett or Jaime Ffrench to end up in the class, and one of Tanook Hines, Daylan McCutcheon, or Andrew Marsh to end up in the class if things don’t sway back to Texas between now and Johnson’s commitment date. Other targets could emerge as well, but for now Hines, McCutcheon, and Marsh are likeliest for the third spot if Lockett and Ffrench end up being split like we expect.

Seems like Johnson realized he was getting back burnered and didn't fuck with that. Felt like we got a ton of good news with Moore/Ffrench/Lockett for a week or 2 and he was getting slow played. Hope he comes back around but this would suck.

48 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Kelshaun Johnson update

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach has entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas A&M to land Hitchcock Top247 WR Kelshaun Johnson. 

On Hank and I’s end, in speaking with Johnson, those around him, and those at Texas coming out of the official visit to Texas this past weekend, the read we got was that Texas would end up winning the recruitment. In speaking with those close to Johnson today and in sharing intel with Mike, we now expect the decision to be Texas A&M. 

We’re holding off on changing our crystal ball predictions for now because things could still change, but, for now things are trending the Aggies’ way. It is very likely the predictions end up getting changed to being in favor of the Aggies between now and Johnson’s commitment date though. 

Far from good news, but with what Texas is expecting to land at the receiver position in 2025, this is the best case scenario for “missing” on a prospect. We still expect Dakorien Moore to end up in the class, one of Kaliq Lockett or Jaime Ffrench to end up in the class, and one of Tanook Hines, Daylan McCutcheon, or Andrew Marsh to end up in the class if things don’t sway back to Texas between now and Johnson’s commitment date. Other targets could emerge as well, but for now Hines, McCutcheon, and Marsh are likeliest for the third spot if Lockett and Ffrench end up being split like we expect.

Was kinda hoping we’d land all three of Moore/Ffrench/Lockett. Oh and the #1 WR in the portal. 

Just now, FunkSoulBrother said:

Was kinda hoping we’d land all three of Moore/Ffrench/Lockett. Oh and the #1 WR in the portal. 

Smart. Defensive back recruiting becomes much less important if every good WR in the country is on our roster. 

21 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Smart. Defensive back recruiting becomes much less important if every good WR in the country is on our roster. 

Should help DB recruiting tremendously. Hey, come practice every day against the best with NFL talents throwing the ball. There's no place you can be tested and get better.

"Should" help.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I wonder if we can still get Turntine if we land Fasusi? Gerry said Turntine isn't scared of competition, but he said it could throw a wrench in the recruitment. 

Who would you guys want?

bird in hand

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Seems like Johnson realized he was getting back burnered and didn't fuck with that. Felt like we got a ton of good news with Moore/Ffrench/Lockett for a week or 2 and he was getting slow played. Hope he comes back around but this would suck.

I think Gerry mentioned Moore getting so much contact with Sark last weekend helped in some ways but maybe hurt in others. There's only so much HC attention to go around, and Johnson might well be one who felt he wasn't getting quite enough. How getting the love from aggy would offset Klein's "no gas, all brakes" offense I'm not sure, but they evidently are having some luck convincing the kid. For now, at least. Butthurt can be temporary. 

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Position ranking would probably be better than state ranking since we're getting many more players from different states now

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I think Gerry mentioned Moore getting so much contact with Sark last weekend helped in some ways but maybe hurt in others. There's only so much HC attention to go around, and Johnson might well be one who felt he wasn't getting quite enough. How getting the love from aggy would offset Klein's "no gas, all brakes" offense I'm not sure, but they evidently are having some luck convincing the kid. For now, at least. Butthurt can be temporary. 

would make a lot of sense.