Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Elite 11 rankings, by the Elite 11 staff, 247 staff (writers), and On3.  Overall, Lacey did better in the Accuracy portion on Day 2, and worse (relatively) on the Pro Day portion.

Also remember - they have a total of 20 QBs there, and 11 of them will end up as THE "Elite 11".

DAY 1  (ELITE 1  STAFF)

DAY 2 CUMULATIVE (ELITE 11 STAFF) (AFTER ACCURACY & PRO DAY WORKOUTS) 

THIS IS 247SPORTS / ANDREW IVINS' RANKING, AFTER DAY 2, CUMULATIVE (LACEY IS 10th)

image.thumb.png.c66f2fc3faba2e8dd9f13c1c6ad77a7f.png

THIS IS ON3, FOR DAY 2 (ACCURACY AND PRO DAY)

image.png.0a9636255aea33a28a34945d58f87977.png

Seems to be a slight disconnect.

Did aggy write their own reviews for On3?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bluto said:

Thought the story was he saw Bobby Layne already on campus and realized he couldn’t hang

[I see @hpslugga anticipates my post with better information. Compliments.]

Dad, who went to SMU when Walker was there, said that Layne and Walker were great friends and planned to play together at Texas. There was something about taking the train to Austin. Walker never showed up, he was intercepted by SMU somehow. I think it's mildly interesting that he and I attended college when probably their best player ever was on the team. Doak Walker for him and Earl Campbell for me. There was also the great connection when Ricky became close friends with Walker.

Dad was a Longhorn, but the woman who would become my mother was going to SMU. He had interesting memories. One was that Texas had been great in 1941 before stumbling against Baylor (tie) and TCU loss. Texas dropped from #1 to #10 then destroyed the #2 Aggies 23-0. The last game of the season was Oregon. On Dec 6. The news was all about Pearl Harbor so only the score from the game was listed in the Port Arthur paper. Texas 71-Oregon 7. Dad assumed it was a misprint. Nope. Texas came out angry and stomped those Ducks.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4

Nobody bats .1000

It's not impossible to think Russell could end up the better QB but I assume Sark likes the fit with Lacey for his offense better. With Trey Owens and what he has looked like so far in his first few months then Dia Bell Most likely after him if Lacey isn't great and fails to beat out Owens and Bell for the '27 QB job there's a great chance he transfers anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, chad.ihrig said:

Props to the kid - he’s had a great couple of weeks.
The Elite 11 MVP isn’t always the eventual badass that we think they will be.
Yeah I’m cherry-picking but check some of these MVPs:
2012: Asiantii Woulard (not Jared Goff)
2013: Sean White (not Deshaun Watson)
2014: Blake Barnett (not midget Kyler or Drew Lock)
2015: Shea Patterson (not Buechele or Dwayne Haskins)
2016: Tua
2017: Justin Fields (not Trevor Lawrence
2018: Spencer Rattler (not Sam Howell or Jayden Daniels)

Hell that tells you all you need just from 2018.

thats good context for sure

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I know I'll get flamed for being a gaping vagina, and I'm still trying to get used to actually having a competent staff, but I really hope Sark and Milwee know what they're doing going Lacey over Russell

Smu knows what they’re doing  ehhhhh 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

[I see @hpslugga anticipates my post with better information. Compliments.]

Dad, who went to SMU when Walker was there, said that Layne and Walker were great friends and planned to play together at Texas. There was something about taking the train to Austin. Walker never showed up, he was intercepted by SMU somehow.

Not sure if that’s the real story and that’s largely because I don’t know exactly at what point in the 1944-1945 offseason SMU picked up Russell.

I’ve looked up and down for info regarding the exact date for his SMU hire but have found nothing. I do know that it was specifically done to entice Walker, so that scenario seems dubious because word traveled slowly back then and letting it get to the point where he’s got a fucking train ticket to Austin would have been dicey.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I know I'll get flamed for being a gaping vagina, and I'm still trying to get used to actually having a competent staff, but I really hope Sark and Milwee know what they're doing going Lacey over Russell

Zero percent chance he wins that if he’s still committed to SMU. Everything else could’ve been the same. That’s how dumb shit like this works.

• Hook 'Em 9

40 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This is the kind of worry that one should keep to themselves. Maybe sit the next few out and regroup and such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Russell was the best QB at single QB camp. He has skills, that was never in doubt, but winning the Elite 11 just means he will have a little more hype when talking heads mention his name, that's all at this point.

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Yeah I’m really concerned about Sark’s QB recruiting.

of all the things to stress yourself out about...  i truly don't understand the manner in which some people choose to live their lives.  

guarantee this will be a big talking point from the coffee and football regulars tomorrow morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

Per Gerry, Dorian Brew's decision may come down to Ohio State or Texas.

FYI, in this class, Ohio State has 

- #1 corner (Sanchez)

- #2 corner (Offord)

- #4 safety (Delane)

- two other safeties

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Nobody bats .1000

It's not impossible to think Russell could end up the better QB but I assume Sark likes the fit with Lacey for his offense better. With Trey Owens and what he has looked like so far in his first few months then Dia Bell Most likely after him if Lacey isn't great and fails to beat out Owens and Bell for the '27 QB job there's a great chance he transfers anyway. 

Actually, lots of people bat .100

That fucker Jose Abreu, for instance.

I see WBT already made the same point.

Fucking chin ponytail.

Edited by runthebone
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Stating the obvious. QB projection is always difficult for the average fan because the most important characteristic of a QB is performance under pressure. There are countless QB’s in history who threw a great football but when faced with 300 lb linemen in their faces, they made terrible decisions. 

That’s why guys like Colt McCoy ended up being far more productive QB’s than guys with better arms. Performance under pressure is everything. Dallas Cowboy fans know this all too well. Hi Dak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is going to be the reaction if we land DJ Sanders?  IT seems to think we are ahead and Wiltfong said about a week ago in one of his videos he has us ahead of aggy.  OVing this weekend.

THink it would be a positive reaction, he's a project.. Still need to hold onto Brown and see if we can get one of the guys who have made OVs here over the past couple weeks to commit to us

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is going to be the reaction if we land DJ Sanders?  IT seems to think we are ahead and Wiltfong said about a week ago in one of his videos he has us ahead of aggy.  OVing this weekend.

I thought the consensus was that he was a JAG, Jaggy McJagger.

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Gerry's position - he's stated this multiple times - is that Sanders would be a good, developmental take, provided he was say the 4th DL taken.

He thought we needed to sign 3 out of 

- Brandon Brown

- Kevin Wynn

- Myron Charles

- Josiah Sharma

- Zion Williams

- Derry Norris (haven't heard his name in some time ... )

In that scenario, Sanders would be a good addition, as a 4th.

Am assuming these are independent of Lance Jackson.

- Of the ones above, Jackson/Brown/Wynn/Charles/Sharma have all OVed.

- Williams and Sanders coming in this weekend.

- No idea re: Norris;  maybe he's no longer being pursued.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Huge project. So he's overrated but maybe we can coach him into something.

Gerry called it early how DJ was ranked too high.. meanwhile another site was harping on how he was the can't miss recruit in TX this cycle.. but hasn't repeated that as he continued to tumble down the rankings...

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Stating the obvious. QB projection is always difficult for the average fan because the most important characteristic of a QB is performance under pressure. There are countless QB’s in history who threw a great football but when faced with 300 lb linemen in their faces, they made terrible decisions. 

That’s why guys like Colt McCoy ended up being far more productive QB’s than guys with better arms. Performance under pressure is everything. Dallas Cowboy fans know this all too well. Hi Dak. 

This it what stood out to me most in Dia Bell's highlights.  Dude seems to have a 6th sense for avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes down field.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’s a good take so long as we get 2-3 more DTs ahead of him 

I don’t want him under any circumstances. He’ll never play a meaningful down at Texas and, if he does, we are proper fucked. To say he’s a bad-bodied project would be putting it mildly.

Even as the 4th DT in a 4 DT group, he’s a roster space looking for a place to transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1