Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

If Manning helps get this guy, ... huge. Huge.

image.thumb.png.80274e6f8add8b6710039c6201fde38a.png

image.thumb.png.72c5936094503e3bac684aa166ee14f4.png

I admit I’m old and lame, but the artist and track name really seems like it might be from a random word generator. 

56 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I admit I’m old and lame, but the artist and track name really seems like it might be from a random word generator. 

Pour

image.png.0ab2f35a59b0e0c616ccd6da47cddd45.png

in

image.png.84c7f3545d28d498dd7e8b77099e85c6.png

What's so hard to get?

24 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Pour

image.png.0ab2f35a59b0e0c616ccd6da47cddd45.png

in

image.png.84c7f3545d28d498dd7e8b77099e85c6.png

What's so hard to get?

Ohhh ... image.png.c98cda284df4ba5584cb91748971ea4e.png Maid! 

I thought it was image.png.15fdd89c5b9485dbceddf73e05246b4b.pngMaid.

Like so ... 

image.png.dd38f6a5044ca552bad210c11d88dc8e.png image.png.5fea8722320c549615990dab7e498520.png

Huh.  Who woulda thunk it.

Gerry

Questions to be answered

Steve Sarkisian and staff will close out the busy month of June later this morning with the last weekend of official visitors heading home. 

OnTexasFootball takes a look at some of the questions that will have to be answered as prospects get closer to making decisions. 

Jaime Ffrench and Kaliq Lockett

Saturday night's festivities ended with at least five parents of visitors throwing the Horns up. One of those were the Ffrench's. OTF continues to like where Texas sits in the recruitment of the Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin High WR. 

What happens with Lockett remains more of a wildcard, but OTF was told that the Lockett family said put together a terrific presentation of the university and football program - unmatched during the OV process. Alabama think they are squarely in it. Texas A&M believes the same. FSU is hopeful. 

The Q with Lockett:  Should it continue to trend Texas for Dakorien Moore and Jaime Ffrench, would Lockett actually pick Texas as well. 

Madden Faraimo

Notre Dame was a heavy favorite headed into the weekend. Texas certainly muddied the waters in this decision. Faraimo and family had a tremendous visit, to say the least. The 4-star LB and family are viewed as great fits in the Texas program. How impressive was the weekend? One person told OTF that a Faraimo family member remarked, "Taking the visit may have been a mistake because know the decision just got a lot more difficult." 

The Q: Can Texas actually overcome what was a huge lead for the Fighting Irish? 

Kade Phillips

Phillips and family have had a tremendous visit. There is little doubt the immediate family loves the idea of the latest national recruit out of Hightower High being a student athlete at the University of Texas. Kade knows how much the Texas staff covets his talent and upside. 

The Q: Is Kade okay with the messaging, and fact that Blake Gideon was with Phillips and family more than Terry Joseph this weekend. If the answer is Kade is okay with being given a shot at corner, and moving to safety if that's best long term - he will be a Longhorn. 

Michael Fasusi

Texas had a tremendous visit weekend with the 5-star offensive tackle and his family in talking to two sources. There is even more confidence on the Horns side than prior to the visit. 

The Q: Who will it actually come down to? Seems like that is trending Texas vs. OU, more than Texas vs. Texas A&M. But we shall see after taking some time to come down off the June emotional high. The second part is which program balances opportunity and development best. That will be key for the DFW area star. 

Nicholas Townsend

The Longhorns have done everything they can to win out for the 6-3.5, 226 pound 4-star tight end. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks have presented the plan and how impactful he can be. The family had a tremendous visit too. A July 7 or 8 announcement is likely. 

The Q: Does Townsend end up wanting to stay in state. If the answer is no, Alabama will likely be the pick. 

Aidan Anding

Texas left zero doubt how much the staff wants the Ruston (La.) High cornerback in the program. Zero. And Anding brought a few family members on the trip to make sure everyone that is part of his decision was on hand this weekend. 

The Q: How quickly does Anding make a decision? 

D.J. Sanders

Sanders' family is said to be "sold" on the Texas program. They were last ones out of the festivities last night along with the Ffrench, Barnes', Phillips' and Faraimo families. 

The Q: The biggest question with the recruitment of Sanders is which Texas school would push the hardest. Texas or Texas A&M? That answer is the Longhorns, as of this weekend. Texas and Michigan are pushing the hardest right now. 

Texas targets on OV's this weekend around the country

FSU - Where does Texas sit with Myron Charles, Kevin Wynn and Javion Hilson after FSU's huge visit weekend. 

Alabama - Can Josiah Sharma actually tell Kalen Deboer and GM Courtney Morgan no. 

Oklahoma - Did the Sooners do enough this weekend with Brandon Brown to push him to LSU? Are the Sooners all in on 4-star EDGE Smith Orogbo.

USC - With the loss of 5-star Isaiah Gibson, how much more pressure is on the Trojans staff to beat out Texas and Michigan for 4-star Marco Jones. Jones announces July 2.

Ohio State - Will Dorian Brew actually pick the Buckeyes with the defensive back class already being loaded. Will Na'eem Offord actually stick or stay south? That could also factor in. 

SMU - Can Texas close out the flip of Nathan Tilmon from SMU. The Mustangs class is taking on some water right now. 

Texas A&M - Did the Aggies do enough to make it a three team race for Riley Pettijohn? Does Pettijohn see the fit at Texas if it's a three man LB class?

Lamont Rogers - There is some optimism in Austin. Will that end up being spot on? He was at FSU this weekend. 

Michael Terry III - Is a second Oregon visit in two months enough to overcome the family thinking the travel would be tough to navigate over a three or four year period of time?

• Hook 'Em 4

Baker really needs to have our DL play at a high level and get a few guys drafted.  Alex January has been the highlight of our DT takes over the last 3 years under Bo.  Sydir Mitchell has been rumored to have cleaned out his locker before and is always rumored as a transfer candidate.  Outside of those two, bunch of meh guys.  It’s frustrating that we have had 4 DTs drafted in the last 2 years and have not been able to capitalize the success from a recruiting standpoint … yet.   Here’s to hoping we get Sharma and keep Brown from flipping.  

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Baker really needs to have our DL play at a high level and get a few guys drafted.  Alex January has been the highlight of our DT takes over the last 3 years under Bo.  Sydir Mitchell has been rumored to have cleaned out his locker before and is always rumored as a transfer candidate.  Outside of those two, bunch of meh guys.  It’s frustrating that we have had 4 DTs drafted in the last 2 years and have not been able to capitalize the success from a recruiting standpoint … yet.   Here’s to hoping we get Sharma and keep Brown from flipping.  

Baker got 10 whole sacks out of Zack Sieler last season…

Who? Exactly 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I agree with a lot of this, but let's also see what Aaron Bryant can do, plus we also have the portal. Sark has given Bryant some rave reviews. 

We’ll have to hit the portal hard again the next year.  As of right now, departures will be Collins, Norton, Savea, Lole.  Not sure if Broughton has any more eligibility left but I imagine he’ll likely be moving on.  That’s leaves us with Bledsoe, Bryant, January, and Mitchell (potential transfer candidate).   Not exactly what you want to see from an experience and depth standpoint in the SEC.  On a side note, Lance Jackson looks like he’s 270 lbs now in that picture with Sark? His frame looks like he can easily carry on another 30-40 pounds.  Would not be shocked if he ended up moving inside.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We’ll have to hit the portal hard again the next year.  As of right now, departures will be Collins, Norton, Savea, Lole.  Not sure if Broughton has any more eligibility left but I imagine he’ll likely be moving on.  That’s leaves us with Bledsoe, Bryant, January, and Mitchell (potential transfer candidate).   Not exactly what you want to see from an experience and depth standpoint in the SEC.  On a side note, Lance Jackson looks like he’s 270 lbs now in that picture with Sark? His frame looks like he can easily carry on another 30-40 pounds.  Would not be shocked if he ended up moving inside.

We also have Melvin Hills on campus, and I know he's a frosh, but apparently he's a good one. But yeah, we need to hit the portal like Hamm needs to hit the stalls. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Wynn was always a long shot

They didn't act like he was, however. They treated the recruitment, as they have with the other OOS guys, as though he was a priority and that they had a great shot at landing him. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I think Sharma and Charles are still in play. 

Both recruitments can be classified as tenuous at best. I'll be stunned if either guy comes to Texas.

For all of the lauding of the hire of the amazing Kenny Baker, the early returns suck shit through a straw. Having a class of DJ Sanders and maybe Brown plus a couple of other reaches while key DT talents head to future opponents and other playoff contenders is indefensible. 

I hope this guy shows some amazing results on the field with his charges this fall because that's the only way out of this in the future if he's going to stick around. He needs to have guys from this roster drafted and to be able to point to results from the schedule. Or, fire the fucking guy and hire someone that can't be drug by rival recruiters. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They didn't act like he was, however. They treated the recruitment, as they have with the other OOS guys, as though he was a priority and that they had a great shot at landing him. 

Both recruitments can be classified as tenuous at best. I'll be stunned if either guy comes to Texas.

For all of the lauding of the hire of the amazing Kenny Baker, the early returns suck shit through a straw. Having a class of DJ Sanders and maybe Brown plus a couple of other reaches while key DT talents head to future opponents and other playoff contenders is indefensible. 

I hope this guy shows some amazing results on the field with his charges this fall because that's the only way out of this in the future if he's going to stick around. He needs to have guys from this roster drafted and to be able to point to results from the schedule. Or, fire the fucking guy and hire someone that can't be drug by rival recruiters. 

Jesus fucking Christ man. The dude just got here. He's not a fucking Jedi. 

Let him do his work and see how the class finishes up. He can't sway anyone with his work ability when all the work he's doing won't even begin to be visible until the games start. 

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of business big wig? You'd know shit isn't built in a matter of weeks. It takes time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Jesus fucking Christ man. The dude just got here. He's not a fucking Jedi. 

Let him do his work and see how the class finishes up. He can't sway anyone with his work ability when all the work he's doing won't even begin to be visible until the games start. 

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of business big wig? You'd know shit isn't built in a matter of weeks. It takes time. 

Even Bo wasn’t signing 5 star DT’s, this goes back some time. 

4 minutes ago, Poester said:

Even Bo wasn’t signing 5 star DT’s, this goes back some time. 

Point is if Sark wanted a guy with name recognition who could come in and deliver instant recruiting he'd have gone after someone like O or another known college DL coach. 

He went after Baker because he prioritized development, especially in the pass rush. Now whether Baker will deliver and prove Sark right won't be known for a while. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Point is if Sark wanted a guy with name recognition who could come in and deliver instant recruiting he'd have gone after someone like O or another known college DL coach. 

He went after Baker because he prioritized development, especially in the pass rush. Now whether Baker will deliver and prove Sark right won't be known for a while. 

I would’ve leaned more towards a proven guy, but it’s a gamble that may pay off. One thing I like about Sark is that he realizes fairly quickly when he made a shitty (Coleman) hire. 

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Chris Jackson’s recruiting was pretty slow getting started last year as well, with a bunch of the recruitments drawing out into the season, or losing guys at this time of year. Now he seems to have shit rolling. My hope is that Baker has a similar trajectory and we can find some success later in the cycle with either a flip or a clear difference maker.

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No shit? You think a guy who just got to campus and had zero relationships within 6 months has bad early returns? Well I'll be! 

8 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

Close to being a little bitch

He should just jump already 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

DB recruiting is more annoying to me right now than DL recruiting. At least Baker just got here, what’s Gideon’s and Joseph’s excuse? We’re already talking about flipping 3-stars from SMU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1