Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys have we even considered that we won’t need DTs?  If we put up 65-70 points a game with 5. 5 stars being thrown balls by a couple of 5 stars  we won’t even really need DTs. 

the game is evolving 

Calm down, Mr. Riley. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys have we even considered that we won’t need DTs?  If we put up 65-70 points a game with 5. 5 stars being thrown balls by a couple of 5 stars  we won’t even really need DTs. 

the game is evolving 

Good point. You don't need DTs if the other team never stops you from scoring.

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's almost like they are monitoring this shit hole. Poor bastards. Hope it at least gives them a good chuckle here or there.

• Haha 1

@Hermanator I'm laughing at your post so hard. 

I like Sydney don't give a shit to be a part of the conversations, it also makes my life substantially simpler if I'm not privy to some of the nitty gritty details, but I assure you the data is available for us upon request. I can tell you from a non TOF angle that sack lunch was not a priority for the coaching staff when we talked to them about next NIL programs for position groups. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I hope you read the highlighted a loud in front of a mirror, you make confirm ctj's point. Although you find him "impressive", perhaps those we need him to connect with don't. I dunno but not everyone develops into ace recruiters regardless of title or with age.

I have that dude on ignore so I didn’t see anything until you’re quote, but yeah, I’m happy for Brandon Harris that some guy finds him impressive enough that it’s cool that he just gets to learn on the clock at a critical role at UT because he’s an excellent yes man for the staff. That sucks for all of us, but, hey, good for the poster and the employee who’s adding neutral to negative contribution value to the program right now. 

This idea that Sarkisian is above making bad hires is absurd. Every manager makes bad hires. We all fucking knew that Harris would be a really bad hire if elevated. It’s not new. 

42 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That's what otf has been saying. At this point I'd consider us of good fortune if we hold onto Brown. They've been saying since his OV that a few close to him(Mom) wants him with Bo and ou coach made enough of a dent to get OV. Sounds like we can get Sanders. Charles sure sounds like a coin toss. I've not allowed myself to consider Sharma as a real possibility. Zion seems like a loss. I hope we again portal a few grown ass 24 year olds.

Losing Zion Williams to LSU is a fucking joke, really. That’s the one that is going to irritate me if he signs there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, derp said:

It's almost like they are monitoring this shit hole. Poor bastards. Hope it at least gives them a good chuckle here or there.

Oh, all the $9.95 and radio guys monitor this website and it's predecessors for content.  The grind for it is never ending and no one is creative enough to self-generate day after day. 

All this hand wringing about Kenny Baker is head scratching.  He's only been here for 6 months.  I, like most here, was extremely underwhelmed by the hire, but let's at least give the guy a full season to show what he can do before we start calling for his head.

Our biggest issue this season will not be the DT position.  It will continue to be our coaching in the defensive backfield.  I mean every QB we face looks like a Heisman frontrunner against us.

The fact that Joseph and Gideon are still on this staff is the biggest mystery, and the team's biggest issue, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

the game is evolving 

I believe that's called the Lincoln Riley. It's working out well for him and USC.

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry an hour ago:

There is confidence in Austin with Sharma. I’m an interested observer 

Our staff has as much confidence in recruits as recruits have uncles.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not calling for Baker's head. 

What I am suggesting is that a guy easy to negative recruit, and without a track record up until this point in his career that resonates with recruits, MAYBE you want to leverage NIL to make up some of those deficiencies until it plays out. Maybe you want to lead the NIL market at that position, instead of treating it like it was before NIL existed. 

But that's just one man's opinion. 

you have the perfect storm w/r/t the guy

• no track record in Texas as a player or coach
  • no track record or skins on the wall as a college coach
  • no knowledge of the guy by in state recruits
  • weird setup with DL/EDGE guys from Texas (right now, Texas has 1 RSFR DL on the team from Texas in Vasek, 1 RS SO from Texas in Bledsoe, 1 Junior in Burke) - there are 2 EEs that help but there is very little overlap between guys who are campus from Texas and who know DL recruits so hard to share that he's good or shit with them
  • no real track record of putting dudes in the league - one guy from Western Kentucky in 2022 who has averaged <1 tackle per game as a pro, including 5 total takles in 17 games he played last year)

i said it above. he's either going to be toast by december or the team will have some kind of positive results from him around development and he will be personable and a good recruiter with NIL help / Sark and the rest of the rainmakers on staff.

sucks they didnt/couldn't get a better dude but he is what he is. here's hoping he kills it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

the game is evolving 

This is my point.  Thank you thank you thank you. 
lot of 3-2-6 when we are up 35 at half and the other team gets one dimensional. Duh

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, immamac said:

@Hermanator I'm laughing at your post so hard. 

I like Sydney don't give a shit to be a part of the conversations, it also makes my life substantially simpler if I'm not privy to some of the nitty gritty details, but I assure you the data is available for us upon request. I can tell you from a non TOF angle that sack lunch was not a priority for the coaching staff when we talked to them about next NIL programs for position groups. 

It definitely appears Sark doesn't think pouring a bunch of money into DT is the way to go. Honestly, the data supports that with the NFL draft at that position being littered every year with former three and low four stars that developed for 3-5 years. Try to evaluate the best you can without breaking the bank for the big name 5 stars then fill out with 2nd tier NIL portal guys. Hiring a young NFL guy known for development over a college guy known for recruiting at that position is further evidence. 

If it bites him in the ass he can always change it later. 

Edited by Hermanator

Posted (edited)

Posted this on the A&M '25 thread, by mistake.  Posting here, given the support staff discussions above.

Tried to find an up to date bio for the guy, couldn't.  So posted one from when he joined ND in 2017.  

Bill Rees Finds Home At Notre Dame
Rees spent nearly 20 years on the collegiate level and another two decades in the NFL before landing a post similar to the one he has at Notre Dame at Wake Forest in 2015.

Oct 11th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Spoiler

Bill Rees Finds Home At Notre Dame
Rees spent nearly 20 years on the collegiate level and another two decades in the NFL before landing a post similar to the one he has at Notre Dame at Wake Forest in 2015.

Oct 11th, 2017, 12:00 PM

When UCLA head coach Terry Donahue crossed Notre Dame’s radar after the dismissal of Gerry Faust following the 1985 season, Bill Rees thought it could happen.

By the time Donahue left coaching following the 1995 season, Lou Holtz had turned Notre Dame into a national power.

symbol

Rees, an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Bruins from 1979-94, never could fulfill his interest in working for Notre Dame -- until now -- four years after his son, Tommy, completed his playing career with the Irish with more than 7,300 yards passing and 61 touchdowns.

Today, Bill Rees, a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan in the ‘70s, is Notre Dame’s Director of Scouting and a “teammate” of son Tommy, the Irish quarterbacks coach.

“At that time, there was talk of Coach Donahue coming here,” said Rees following last Thursday’s Brian Kelly Show just off the Notre Dame campus at local eatery O’Rourke’s Public House.

“At one point, (Donahue) did have an opportunity. But he was very happy on the West Coast, loved working at UCLA…It almost happened, but it didn’t.”

Better late than never for Rees.

Following a 2015-16 stint at Wake Forest, Rees offers insight with senior offensive analyst Jeff Quinn evaluating upcoming opponents. His main job is to unearth high school prospects for the Fighting Irish.

“The most important thing is to maintain the connection,” said Rees of his work studying college football in general. “You want to see what everybody else is playing with. You want to evaluate all the players that are in the ACC, the SEC, all the different teams you play.”

Rees’ main job this time of year is to stay on top of high school prospects that are emerging as seniors to keep all options open for Notre Dame’s Class of 2018.

“It’s just a continual, evolving process, and you’re always trying to evaluate players,” said Rees of his work scouting high school prospects.

“Some guys develop late. Some guys may be playing a different position. We’re at a place where you can continue to evaluate and continue to get involved, and still have a chance to sign them.

“We usually have a bit of a head start. There’s enough background on them, and then we want to see how they’re playing as seniors. There’s a big difference between where they were in the spring of their junior year and now in their senior year.”

It’s a difference that Kelly felt needed to be addressed within his off-season overhaul.

“He’s been invaluable in his ability to go through the players that are emerging late,” said Kelly of Rees.

“I don’t know that we’ve ever had as many guys that we’ve been able to find this late in the process that are really the right fit for us, as well as really diving deep into the sophomore group to put us ahead of the game moving forward.”

Joking that he had to check with son Tommy before taking the job – “He needed a place to live!” added Kelly – the elder Rees feels like he’s back in the days of poring over film in his home basement/office where sons Danny (a former punter/holder at UCLA) and Tommy found an interest in the process.

“It’s been a blast so far,” said Rees of joining Tommy on the Irish staff. “Each day, there’s something new and there’s a new challenge and problems to be solved. It’s great to have an opportunity to work toward the same goal.

“When (Kelly) approached me about the job, he was very complimentary and said, ‘Hey, you’ve worked with a lot of good people and coached for a long time…It’s going to be a great experience.’”

The experience is lengthy. Rees’ first job was at Northwestern in 1976-77. He landed on Donahue’s staff at UCLA in 1979 and served through the 1994 season.

From there, it was on to the NFL where he worked for the 49ers, Bears, the 49ers again, the Browns, the Buccaneers and then back to Northwestern before taking a position with Wake Forest in 2015.

Wake Forest provided another Notre Dame connection – current Irish defensive coordinator Mike Elko.

“It really had nothing to do with having the father and son here,” Kelly said. “It had everything to do with a man with incredible experience, not only from the NFL but the college field.

“Recruiting has taken off and gone to a different level. Evaluating now is 24/7. We needed an expert that could do it seven days a week. With Bill’s experience, he can turn on film and evaluate all the traits of a player.”

Rees, due largely to his interest in Notre Dame and Tommy’s experiences, arrived with a keen sense of what the Irish are looking for in prospects.

“You’re always looking for the right fit,” Rees said. “Every school has a different identity and qualities and traits that make it unique. There is no university more unique than Notre Dame.

“The players that come here need to understand the challenges they face and the balancing they have to do. We’re looking for the unique players who accept that challenge.”

As Tommy’s coaching career begins to take flight and Rees’ career winds down, he’s appreciative of the opportunity that sits before him at Notre Dame.

“There’s such a great sense of community and such a great sense of family,” Rees said. “People are excited to be here and are very helpful. There’s no problem too big that can’t be solved.

“I’ve been very impressed with the approach that is taken, not only from within the athletic department, but on campus. There’s tremendous pride in everything we do.

“I had to ask Tommy’s opinion first. That’s true. There’s a role reversal there. But I was thrilled with the opportunity and I’m very happy to be here.”

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

This was posted like 15-20 min ago....he followed up with another thread that had this

image.png.31661e6aade632a820866b232ee4dd10.png

Trying to link those posts together? One thing we can say about you, BO&W, is that you never stop working at this stuff. You're not getting any better at it, but you do work hard as well. You're like the washing machine of Surly. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Trying to link those posts together? One thing we can say about you, BO&W, is that you never stop working at this stuff. You're not getting any better at it, but you do work hard as well. You're like the washing machine of Surly. 

I'm just grasping at straws at any positives for DT recruiting, sorry. 

25 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It definitely appears Sark doesn't think pouring a bunch of money into DT is the way to go. Honestly, the data supports that with the NFL draft at that position being littered every year with former three and low four stars that developed for 3-5 years. Try to evaluate the best you can without breaking the bank for the big name 5 stars then fill out with 2nd tier NIL portal guys. Hiring a young NFL guy known for development over a college guy known for recruiting at that position is further evidence. 

If it bites him in the ass he can always change it later. 

“Hey guys, I’m not going to respond to any of the posts laughing at me and mocking me for suggesting no one here has any idea about NIL position budgets and where money gets prioritized, because let’s be frank I showed my ass so badly that the only way to avoid a mental break is to repress those memories. Like a sexual assault victim.”

“Instead I’m going to ignore the elephant sized dick in my ass and attempt to pivot the conversation to how Sark’s strategy is not only defensible, but maybe even genius and totally supported by data.” 

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Man, I can't even get worked up about DL recruiting anymore. The intrigue's been sucked out of it. The process at that position seems to be about money, but it sounds like Sark doesn't want to pay market rates? Well then we're cooked. Am I missing something because it seems pretty simple. 

Bo Davis didn't do a great job* recruiting DL at Texas, but he seems to be doing a better job at LSU. Emphasis on "seems" because I'm sure someone will hear my concern as an invitation to a dick measuring contest that I don't care about. That's not what I'm getting at. My point is that if Davis struggled here and does better at LSU then maybe the problem isn't the DL coach. It sounds like from the top down we're not prioritizing the position monetarily, which is a fundamental issue. It's not that we don't have the money, it's that we don't want to spend it. 

My question to the people on this thread who know more than me is this - what can I, a run of the mill asshole, do about that? It's an honest question. I'm not a proponent of sternly worded emails or tweeting at CDC, but I'm willing to give it a shot if that will help. Laughing at @Hermanator's dumbass is great, but I'd rather be proactive. 

But if recruiting premium DL is about paying money - and Sark doesn't want to pay - then we're down to recruiting OKGs and hoping that Baker is a great developer. 

*Aside from some likely fool's gold in the 2022 class (jury's still out but I'm from Missouri)

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

lmfao if in two years we're wandering the desert searching for DL like we used to with OL and every time someone commits people are like "but can he play DL?"

Who was the one guy that went back and forth a couple times? Would perennially change sides.